• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Learning Japanese

Years
  • No, not me personally. I remember telling a friend who is trying to study and learn Japanese that reportedly the Story of Seasons/Harvest Moon games are one way some learned. Might not be their cup of tea, but it works? I met another friend at my local community college years ago who was learning, but was struggling with hiragana and katakana.

Have you ever learned Japanese before? I am curious how you learned it. Did you learn through some app, or website? Or did someone else teach you? Oh, or did you learn it in school or college?

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    I'm attempting to learn Japanese, but it's taking a while. There are various ways that I've been using to learn it. Apps, websites, books, following Japanese media... There are a lot of options out there, and it's just a matter of finding ones that work best.

Personally, I do better with websites/apps that use the "spaced repetition system." I've used WaniKani, and I'm currently using Renshuu. Combing that with just writing down in a notebook what I study has helped more than just staring at a chart and hoping it sticks. It wasn't until I used a website that makes use of SRS that I finally started getting hiragana/katakana, and now even some vocabulary. But I don't really make studying it a focused part of my day, especially since there are other languages that I want to learn more. (Also, I'm way more fascinated by Japanese history and culture in general, which I don't need the language for. Though it helps.)

The biggest thing to remember about learning Japanese is that it's really difficult to learn. (There are some parts of it that I want to learn more about, but the information is limited.) So if someone wants to learn it, they need to do their best and not get discouraged. Also, depending on where one lives, there's not a lot of opportunities to practice it in real life. So one has to search for websites to get the practice in.

Years
    • Seen today
    Occasionally I'll turn on Japanese voices for games (xenoblade) and remind myself that I know nothing about the language.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • I'm way better at reading it than I am physically speaking it (especially now that I haven't had a reason to say anything it in years), but I suppose I'd consider myself decent at it. I passed the JLPT N2 years ago but I've never really bothered trying to go for the N1. Every so often I feel like I should just to have something to study toward again but for the most part I can play any game I want in Japanese and read novels and stuff so I lean into the laziness and do nothing. My listening isn't as up to par but if it's like a slice of life anime or a simple drama or something, I have no trouble following along.

My learning journey was like... I took classes in high school, forgot everything, took classes again in university, passed the N3 from that, and then self-studied up to N2 and beyond. I used wanikani here and there for kanji but I always fall off that wagon. I know enough to be able to guess readings to look up characters I don't know and that gets me by. It helps to have goals for what you wanna be able to do with the language and oddly enough mine was just "play Kingdom Hearts games without having to wait for localization" and it worked lol. I think because I don't really have a goal right now, it's hard to make myself keep studying/improving. But there's sooo much out there now for self/online study that just didn't exist back when I started dabbling with the language. It's really impressive!

Another reason I don't really study much anymore is like... I've done a little bit of freelance J->E translation in the past and would love to make that a career and keep improving because of it, but AI translation is ruining everything and making it undoable because companies are cutting corners and paying pennies for people to just ""touch up"" machine translation... even though especially with a language like Japanese, machines are terrible at it and it's actually way faster to translate everything from scratch instead of trying to figure out what the bot spit out. But then you get paid awful rates to do it and you just can't make a living that way. 🙃 But it was nice as a side gig while it lasted.

Years
  • I have been crazily not constant with learning Japanese. Started a long time ago, but I never actually learned it because life gets busy and I drop it. So, whenever i make progress, I then forget everything. My journey has been rich of experiment and ways to learn.
    Well, first of all I am conscious of my problem with Japanese: kanji and remembering words. I'm just bad at it and the most time it passes, the more I forget. I am pretty much a grammar lover, so grammar rules have never been a problem for me.
    I used genki book 1 and watched some random videos.
    However, I struggle much with some expressions or with those particles or things they add at the end of words or at the end of sentences (for example to give emphasis). That's because it can kind of make sense to me, but when it comes to grammatically analyze things, i get a bit lost.

I have tried reading a Japanese manga, but it was too hard. It took me a hour to translate the first 2/3 pages. (But finding manga for free was hard, so maybe i got a hard one).
    Learning by playing games, it can kind of make sense, but it's not very easy. Pokémon is more on the intermediate level, in my opinion. I also think the game itself can make it harder or easier. For example, i played a bit of Platinum in Japanese, and I CLEARLY remember trying to translate the first dialogue between Rowan and Barry. It was pretty hard. Also, i remember finding a couple of dialect expressions.

Then I tried playing PLA in Japanese and that's the one i'm trying to play entirely in Japanese. But it's very hard. I used to do a very long thing, which was to write on a fash card app all of the new words I had found and then trying to learn them. I actually did learn several words thanks to that, but it was very tiring. I also found out that PLA wasn't truly recommend as a Pokemon game to learn Japanese because it has some archaic language, which is kind of true because it happened to me to find old kanji or the vocabulary indicating that it was an old word or expression, which is btw very cool imo lol.
    I played a little bit of Pokemon Black in Japanese and it seemed a little easier for me, but on the long run, i can't say.
    I'd say when it comes to Pokemon the question is between playing the old ones which are without kanji or the new ones with Kanji.
    I tried both, and i'm not really sure what's the best way. Surely, the kanji way already gives you a visual input to learn and distinguish the word. If you learn words as kana, you're doing just 50% of the job as Japanese people use kanji. However, it's true that even with the captions above kanji, searching each Word becomes long and a bit annoying. Not to mention the extra time, to actually learn the words.

Also, i have to say that Japanese has a huge vocabulary, indeed after learning around 700+ words and expressions, I still couldn't get most of any Japanese I was exposed to. It did work with Genki as I was following their dictionary, but not for the rest.

Anyway, i do have a YouTube Channel to advise you, which is Game Gengo. It has great grammar recap videos (n5 and n4 of i'm not wrong) and the Channel is centered on learning Japanese with videogames. It kind of tells you which games are the best, ecc.

Years
  • Not yet, I keep on thinking about trying to learn Japanese so I can play Japan-exclusive games; but then I remember the times I failed to learn Spanish, German and Dutch and get discouraged. I'll probably just wait until uni; I feel like I need the structure of a class to get through the grueling early parts of learning a language without getting distracted.

Setsuna

♡ Setsuna Scarlet Storm!!
    Years
  • The idea of learning Japanese to work in video game localization/translation is something that appealed to me for a while a few years ago. I think having things like video games or anime to teach/get you interested in learning Japanese is awesome and I hear "I learned Japanese through anime" fairly often.
    When I was in high school I started looking up apps and resources to teach myself Japanese (Duolingo, Memrise, WaniKani, etc.) and can read hiragana and katakana fairly well. It felt like the bare minimum to navigate the menus of the Japanese versions of games I'd play like SIFAS or Bandori. I've barely made much of an effort at all to learn kanji though, given how many are commonly used and how complicated they are with different readings.
    I've absorbed a decent amount just through my interests, especially through stuff like music or seiyuu TV programs, I'm just awful with vocabulary no matter the language and I'm not committed to actively devote my time to learning it. Language barriers terrify me because my anxiety can mean I can barely communicate with people in English, so I worry if I was fluent in Japanese I'd be unable to do something like go to Japan and ask native speakers to help me practice. I have a lot of respect for anyone who can speak more than one language.

Years
  • I'm attempting to learn Japanese, but it's taking a while. There are various ways that I've been using to learn it. Apps, websites, books, following Japanese media... There are a lot of options out there, and it's just a matter of finding ones that work best.
    One of the first video series I ever saw was Namasensei's Japanese Course on YouTube years ago. Me and all my IRL and online friends laughed at the way he would 'teach' it. I assumed it was just a satire/parody, so never took it seriously whatsoever.

Warning strong language and lots of alcohol.

BWZ

Days
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    One of the first video series I ever saw was Namasensei's Japanese Course on YouTube years ago. Me and all my IRL and online friends laughed at the way he would 'teach' it. I assumed it was just a satire/parody, so never took it seriously whatsoever.

Warning strong language and lots of alcohol.
    I tried to learn japanese several times and the most progress I've ever done is with Namasensei's videos lmao. Managed to learn all of the kanas in record time ^^ maybe getting constantly sweared at is motivating idk lol

Seems like he's streaming on Twitch nowadays. He started his most recent stream by saying 'Motherf-' a dozen times in the first few seconds , beer in hand ... Some things never change !

Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2024
    I took Japanese in college and did pretty good with it. My issue was having to hurry up and translate everything into rōmaji so I could read it. I worked for a Japanese company called Round 1 and we had people from Headquarters come to our store to do promo work and I was picked to work with them. Pretty much holding lights up and then setting up for the next shoot. Arms got one hell of a workout that day...lol. My only thing is I don't see why you have to write in a certain order. As long as it comes out right who cares. No different than us writing the alphabet the exact way we were taught as long as it comes out the right way and we can read it.

I still have all of my books that I used in class. I've tried a few apps here and there but my issue is memory and trying to remember what is what. I've also learned things through Anime, Pokemon and Wrestling.

Years
  • Seems like he's streaming on Twitch nowadays. He started his most recent stream by saying 'Motherf-' a dozen times in the first few seconds , beer in hand ... Some things never change !
    I did wonder if he did stream or anything. Good to see he's still out there on the Internet. Anyway...

The idea of learning Japanese to work in video game localization/translation is something that appealed to me for a while a few years ago. I think having things like video games or anime to teach/get you interested in learning Japanese is awesome and I hear "I learned Japanese through anime" fairly often.
    I knew a friend who actually did help out with some stuff like this.

Back