• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Least favorite evolutions of previous gen Pokemon?

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
Years
  • Generation 4 made the daring move of introducing 29 evolutions of Pokemon from previous generations. Some of them are really good, but some aren't so good. Overall what are your favorites and least favorites?

Out of all of them, my least favorites are definitely Magmortar, Electivire, and Rhyperior. They're a typical example of what happens when you give evolutions to Pokemon that don't need them: bulky, overdesigned, and overall less creatively designed than their previous forms. Another that comes to mind is Weavile. Weavile just doesn't look much different from Sneasel. In fact, it looks a lot less cool imo. It looks like the baby form of Sneasel to me.

And finally, Togekiss. Great in battle, but I hate its design. It basically looks like a pair of wings. It's a great Pokemon, for sure, but they definitely could have done better with its design.

So, which ones are your least favorites?

Hatsune Mika

FireRed Nuzlocke
    Years
  • The same as yours actually, I also disliked gallade because it looks like a Gardevoir with blades almost. Some of the evolutions were good like Mamoswine, it makes since too but couldn't it be a little different?

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Personally, I sort of dislike Roserade. It's got white hair, which make it look like an old lady, kind of. In my opinion, it would've looked a lot better if they were dark green or perhaps even red. Roserade could be pretty useful when it comes to battling, though, so I have nothing bad to say as far as that goes. :P Besides that, I'm also not such a huge fan of Weavile. It looks amazing design-wise, but in terms of competitiveness, it could be taken down pretty easily.

Years
  • I have to be honest, I really dislike Tangrowth. It just looked like a bigger Tangela, which I didn't like the design to that from the start. The other difference in this evolution is the stat boost. It's not utterly bad like some of the previous Pokemon evolutions I have seen, but there are better choices than Tangrowth, stat-wise. This things moveset is horrible, nothing good that I can say about it.

Another one that I really disliked was Lickilicky. Just another Pokemon that barely changed when it evolved. The stats are even worse than Tangrowth. I have no clue why I'm making such a big deal about the stats, but I like to know if they can take a hit or can even deliver one. You need to teach this thing a lot of TM moves to even get good attacks. Not a Pokemon worth using in my opinion. Lickilicky gets one cracked PokeBall from me.

Years
  • I actually really like quite a few of the new evolutions, but my least favorite is probably Lickilicky. It's not a memorable Pokémon to me, since it doesn't have any standout stats except for its HP. The only thing it has going for it is STAB Explosion, which, since that got cut in Generation V, isn't that good anymore. It just has nothing that screams cool going for it.

Probopass as well. While that mustache is amusing at least, it's nothing more than just a bad Aggron with more Special Defense. Its attacking stats aren't great, and it won't do much more than survive an Earthquake/Close Combat or such and then die. Which is sad since I recently said that Aggron is one of my favorite Pokémon.

Zorogami

WUB WUB
    Years
  • I honestly liked most of the new evolution. Yes, some might be considered "too much", like Magmortar and Electivire, but those are actually some of my favorites. The new evos provided either a needed boost for certain Pokes (Tangela, Piloswine...) or a new aspect (Gallade being part Fighting). The worst of all have to bee Licky-licky and Probopass though. The first is a fatter and more derpy version of its pre-evo, and Probopass gets that weird stache...

Treecko

the princess without voice
    Years
  • I diagree with the OP and love Rhyperior and Electivire. They're designs aren't that bulky and overdesigned imo and I personally think Electivire is uncreatively designed . They added , more fur, antennae and it back pattern resembles an electric outlet. That scream creative to me.

Another that comes to mind is Weavile. Weavile just doesn't look much different from Sneasel. In fact, it looks a lot less cool imo. It looks like the baby form of Sneasel to me.
    Weaville is one of my favorite. Yeah it looks like Sneasal, but don't most evolutions have some resemble to their previous evolution? They're not supposed to change super-drastically. Pesonally I think it's cooler than Sneasal.

I personally love Gallade more than Gardevoir. The blades add badassery and make it more masculine. That's the point of them.

Anyway on to the topic itself. I can't stand Probopass at all. I alway thought Nosepass was silly like a Pokemon based on a nose/Moai statue should be, but Probopass is just plain ugly. What's the mustache hair supposed to be? Also it's cry is horrifying [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxu1DA4CIBQ[/ame] *shudders* Tangrowth's another one. I honestly don't why the hands are so big. Lickilicky too as well. I never liked Lickitung. It's ugly and just weird. So didn't ask for a evolution that's uglier and weirder. :(

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
  • Weaville is one of my favorite. Yeah it looks like Sneasal, but don't most evolutions have some resemble to their previous evolution? They're not supposed to change super-drastically.

I wasn't saying it should change super drastically. In fact those are some of my least favorite evolutions (e.g. Remoraid -> Octillery), but imo Sneasel -> Weavile barely changes at all. It just looks like the exact same Pokemon with a different hairstyle and a different facial expression.

How could I forget Lickilicky?? Lickitung is one of the worst designs from Gen 1, and Lickilicky doesn't do it any favors.

I'm on the fence about Tangrowth. I always thought Tangela was a bad design, so it couldn't get much worse xD I kinda like that they gave him kind of a wooly caveman kinda thing. It's meh, but at least it's based on something besides a walking squiggle xD

Olli

I am still bathing in a summer's afterglow
    Years
  • Probopass, Tangrowth and Lickylicky. I don't feel like much thought or creativity went into those designs, since they basically just look like bigger versions of their pre-volutions. This is especially true with Lickylicky, who I honestly think looks smaller? In any case, there's like no difference between the two, so it kinda looks like a different version of Lickitung, rather than an actual evolution.

Tangrowth and Probopass are along the same lines, however they both do look like actual evolutions, albeit not very creative. Tangrowth basically just gets bigger and grows arms, and Probopass grows a moustache. I actually like Probopass the best out of the three, since it seems a bit more creativity went into that design, but ehh. None of those three really looks as significantly changed as Magmortar, Electivire or Mamoswine. That's not say they aren't cool Pokemon though, I just don't like the lack of thought that went into creating them :p

UltraWing

teleporting shiny staraviva
    Years
  • i kind of dont like weavile dose that make me a bad person?

i freaken love gallade, togekiss, and probopass?....

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
  • Lickilicky just fails on all levels. Its design makes it look like a weaker version of Lickitung, its stat improvements over Lickitung are mediocre at best, it has a stupid name, and it's design is stupid.

It's only real claim to fame is being the only normal-type to learn Explosion, which isn't all that strong coming off base 85 atk. >_>

Years
  • Magmortar - It's overdesigned for sure! I like Magmar more and I cannot make myself use Magmortar because I don't like it's design D:
    And Lickylicky - Why? I don't like it's design and that's pretty much that - I mean I love Lickitung - it's one of my favourite normal types but Lickylicky has an awful desing and really unoriginal name D:

Years
  • Lickilicky is just hideous with no redeeming factors, unfortunately.

Having said that though, oddly enough I like Probopass contrary to popular belief. Those iron filing 'staches are odd indeed, but more in an amusing way.

Tox

fight me
    Years
  • I disliked a lot of them actually. Togekiss, Rhyperior, Tangrowth, Lickilicky, in that order.

Togekiss is horrible design-wise and its name makes me want to gawk. It's an amazing Pokémon regardless.

Rhyperior is so unnecessary in my opinion. It's ugly and Rhydon just doesn't seem like it should be demoted to a middle evolution.

Tangrowth, although I agree with Tangela getting an evolution, is really sloppy design-wise. I think it's height makes it extremely awkward-looking and so much more could have been done with it.

Lickilicky has a ridiculous name and doesn't look any tougher than Lickitung. If both Pokémon had been created at the same time, I wouldn't be able to guess which was the first stage and which was the evolved form.

However, I really liked Mamoswine, Leafeon, Weavile, Froslass and Gallade.

Back