• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Least Favourite Starter Evolution Line

What is your least favourite starter evolution line?

• Total voters
Years
    • Seen Oct 25, 2018
    Tepig, ugh.

Originally I hated all of the Gen 5 starters. But Snivy's really cool and Oshawotts just so adorable, they kinda just grow on you.

Chimcharguy

Chimchar Master
    Years
  • What's with all the Chimchar haters? You criticize chimchars evolutions, have you seen any if the Gen V starters - fat, ugly pig beast; queerest snake I've ever seen and whatever samurott is (that ain't No otter...)

Aureol

Kanto/Electric-Type Enthusiast
    Years
  • Emboar's line BY FAR.

Which I was really disappointed with. I am one of those earlier-Gen players, but while I wasn't looking forward to the other 2 for this generation, I was really stoked for Tepig's line. But, it failed.

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    It was a close call between Bulbasaur's line and Tepig's line. While I love Bulbasaur and Tepig, I'm not as fond about their evolutions as I am of them.
    In the end I chose Bulbasaur's line because I feel that Ivysaur and Venusaur are just all too similar in design for my tastes. I'm not a big fan of the looks of Pignite and Emboar, but at least they have more variation between them.

Childish_Gavino

*Witty Phrase*
    Years
  • Snivy's evolution line gets on my nerves...not because of looks, I think they look the coolest out of all of Unova's starters. It's because they're so terribly weak...I'm not sure about it's base stats...but I think all it has going for it is speed and defense. I quit and started a new file because I couldn't take using it anymore.

Years
    • Seen Oct 8, 2012
    I'm sorry ... I've never been able to like Treecko :( With all of the other starters, even if I don't like the starter itself, I like one of its evolved forms. Not Treecko-Grovyle-Sceptile though.

Olli

I am still bathing in a summer's afterglow
    Years
  • Probably a suprise to many, as so many find it adorable, but I never actually liked Piplup nor its evolutionary line. I just never really liked the designs of the three Pokémon, though it's mainly Prinplup that I don't like. The same goes for their typing. The Water/Steel thing just never cut it for me, especially because it doesn't leave you with that many moves compared to other dual typings, and I just generally didn't like the match-up either.

So yeah, Piplup line is probably my least favourite of them all.

Tamaska

[Oblivious]
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Dec 27, 2013
    Tepig family. Love the design of Tepig, But they majorly ****ed up with Pignite and Emboar. I just dont understand how they could give such a bad design for such a good typing...

Years
    • Seen Jul 19, 2012
    The Empoleon line is the only one I've never taken a liking to. I would have chosen Emboar, but I gave it a chance in my most recent play through of White, and it proved to be something that's making me doubt all of my other play throughs of the game.

Years
  • Definitely the Piplup line. I mean Empoleon was Steel, which was cool, but overall the whole evolution line didn't have many good moves, or stats in my opinion, especially compared to the other two starter lines in Sinnoh.

Retro Gamer'93

Pokemon Master of Kanto
    Years
  • The one thing that completely screwed up BW for me, Tepig. I used to almost always go with the fire type starter and then the stupid thing is a freaking pig. Not counting the fact that it's another fire/fighting type. The whole evolution line just pisses me off. -.-

zid_sen

The Sacred Thunder of Aselis
    Years
  • Piplup/Prinplup/Empoleon,
    Piplup and Prinplup not bad, but Empoleon makes the evolution weak.
    Why?
    Because steel is make fire more strong to us,
    that make me always cancel evolution from Prinplup to Empoleon.

Nolafus

Aspiring something
    Years
  • I like all the starters, but if I HAD to choose one I would choose squirtle. I like them, but wartortle just looked ugly to me. I don't know, just my opinion.

Honest

Hi!
    Years
  • Tepig's line. It's just pure proof that they're running out of ideas. What really let me down is that the final evolution was a type combo we've seen in another starter. What happened to being unique?

Years
    • Seen Sep 13, 2012
    Treeko's line is the worst because they are ugly and there are better grass types, IMO.
    Anyhow, here's my opinion on the starters:

Bulbasaur- Adorable. Inysaur- Kind of cool. Vensaur- How the hell did cute little Bulbasaur turn into an obese toad-cat?
    Squirtle- Cute. Wartortle- Almost as cute as Squirtle. Blastoise- Why is there a giant obese blue woman with canons coming out of her back sitting on my evolving Wartortle?... Oh.
    Charmander- Cute-ish, I've seen cuter. Charmeleon- Meh. Charizard- ...Meh.

Chikorita- OK. Bayleef- OK. Meganium- Would be darling if she had a more feline figure than dino figure.
    Totodile- I almost died it's so cute. Croconaw- Looks like a little fat caveman. Feraligatr- Cool until you look at the jaw.
    Cyndaquil- Cute, but needs open eyes. Quilava- Cool. Typhlosion- Kind of cool.

Treeko- Ugly. Grovyle- Pretty color scheme, ugly design. Sceptile- Ugly.
    Mudkip- Excuse me sir, you have rubber gloves stuck to your cheeks. Marshtomp- Oh hey, there's no gloves on your cheeks anymore. Now they look like.. Nevermind. Swampert- Ugly.
    Torchic- Hideous little bugger, aren't ya? I feel so sorry for you I want to euthanize you. Combusken- Looks like a menally challenged chicken. Blaziken- Bell-bottoms, talaons, and a beak that goes up his face? Ugh.

Turtwig- I know this line is going to be trouble. Grotle- Oh God.. Torterra- Not as bad as I expected! Still hideous.
    Piplup- Pretty cute. Prinplup- Ugly. Empoleon- Gross. And there is so much potential for appealing design with a penguin -sigh.-
    Chimchar- Cute, I'd probably love it if I were a monkey fan. Monferno- Decent. Monferno- Decent. I might actually like it if it weren't for all the 'stuff' (The gold swirls, the shirt-thingy, the giant red eyebrow.)

Snivy- Cute. Servine- You would look better with no limbs. Serperior- Awesome.
    Oshawott- Would be adorable without the big nose, but at the same time it adds to uniqueness. Dewott- Oh my god, so cool! Samurott- What the.. How, just how could we go from cute otter to cuter otter to this crap? It doesn't even look like it belongs in the evolution line!
    Tepig- I smell BBQ pork. Pignite- Did Ms.Piggy get 3rd degree burns somehow? Emboar- Dear god, you're ugly.

JaySawn

Weedle Weedle Wee -Patrimon?
    Years
  • Infernape would be my least favorite; chimchar wasn't too bad , monferno looked like a monkey with clown makeup , infernape looks like an old coot with temperamental issues...

Other than that, it was a great battle pokemon in D/P/Pt (in-game)

~ Jay

Years
    • Seen Aug 9, 2012
    It has 100% have to be the Chikorita line.
    Meganium is more or less useless in every possible way and is really the only starter that is almost entirely a complete hindrance in-game.

I have always found the Grass starter lines to be the weakest, with the exception of Sceptile. Quick, good sp.Atk and it can learn dragon pulse. Not a necessity, but it's something different and can be quite helpful.
    As a whole, I would say Gen III had the most well rounded and all around best starters.

I can't fathom why there is so much hate for Infernape. There is so much potential. Consider this as a moveset;
    Blaze Kick, Close Combat, Thunder Punch, U-Turn.
    Its perfect.

Back