• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Least seen Pokemon in the anime

Years
    • Seen Mar 12, 2012
    I've always wondered this, but which Pokemon has received the least amount of air time?

I'm trying to think of a Pokemon from the Kanto or Johto region since they have been around longer than the Hoenn and Sinnoh. Plus some of the Unova Pokemon have yet to be shown while the season is in progress.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Porygon only had 1 appearance in Electric Soldier Porygon (which never aired outside of Japan because almost anyone who watched it got seizures). Porygon2 also never appeared in the anime, except as a cameo in the Johto Pokerap.

Years
  • Numel was only seen once, in the episode "Game Winning Assist" from the 7th season, Pokemon: Advanced Challenge.

Also, only a single Pachirisu appeared in the entire anime and it was Dawn's.

Nepse

Dragonite<3
    Years
  • That's definitely the Porygon-line, but other then that... I'm not sure... I haven't seen Kadabra since "Fear Factor Phony" (it probably left to join SOVA...). Togetic is rather rare too.

Years
  • That's definitely the Porygon-line, but other then that... I'm not sure... I haven't seen Kadabra since "Fear Factor Phony" (it probably left to join SOVA...). Togetic is rather rare too.

Kadabra was probably left out due to the Uri Geller controversy.

Togetic has had only one appearance since when Misty released hers.

Also, the episode "Crossing Paths" from Pokemon DP: Battle Dimension was the only time a Dustox has been seen other than Jessie's (ironically, she released her Dustox in that episode).

The only Seviper to appear in the anime was Jessie's.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Kadabra was probably left out due to the Uri Geller controversy.

Also, the episode "Crossing Paths" from Pokemon DP: Battle Dimension was the only time a Dustox has been seen other than Jessie's (ironically, she released her Dustox in that episode).

Togetic cameoed in a Pokemon Contest in "Playing the Performance Encore!"

Also, Jessie's Seviper wasn't the only Seviper that appeared in the show because Pike Queen Lucy used her own Seviper against Ash in the Battle Frontier.

Years
  • Time to talk about HO-OH!!!
    Despite the provided background stories and explanations, the actual Pokemon (not the transformed Mew in Movie 8 nor the previewed one battling Lugia which techincally wasn't in the anime teehee) has only had about a ten seconds air-time, in like what, four episodes?
    Oh yeah and then there are some of the movie intros.. and a four more seconds in Pop Goes the Sneasel..

Great fun rewatching For Ho-Oh the Bells Toll!

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Mar 12, 2012
    I figured Ho-Oh. While it's only made 3 (outside of cameo) appearances, those 3 are considered big moments, simply because it's Ho-Oh. I'm curious if Ash will have a 4th sighting one day.

Years
  • The only Ambipom to ever appear in the anime was Dawn's.

Now that she has sadly departed Dawn's team, no Ambipom has ever appeared since the 12th season (Galactic Battles).

I feel so sorry that Dawn's Ambipom was the only member of its species to ever appear in the anime.

Treecko

the princess without voice
    Years
  • Porygon2 and Porygon-Z have no appearances in the anime due to the "Electric Soldier Porygon incident" . Porygon-2 has a brief cameo in the Johto-Pokerap (Pokerap GS)
    Spoiler:

Last edited:

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
  • Porygon only had 1 appearance in Electric Soldier Porygon (which never aired outside of Japan because almost anyone who watched it got seizures). Porygon2 also never appeared in the anime, except as a cameo in the Johto Pokerap.

Numel was only seen once, in the episode "Game Winning Assist" from the 7th season, Pokemon: Advanced Challenge.

Also, only a single Pachirisu appeared in the entire anime and it was Dawn's.

That's definitely the Porygon-line, but other then that... I'm not sure... I haven't seen Kadabra since "Fear Factor Phony" (it probably left to join SOVA...). Togetic is rather rare too.

Kadabra was probably left out due to the Uri Geller controversy.

Time to talk about HO-OH!!!
    Despite the provided background stories and explanations, the actual Pokemon (not the transformed Mew in Movie 8 nor the previewed one battling Lugia which techincally wasn't in the anime teehee) has only had about a ten seconds air-time, in like what, four episodes?
    Oh yeah and then there are some of the movie intros.. and a four more seconds in Pop Goes the Sneasel..

Great fun rewatching For Ho-Oh the Bells Toll!

The only Ambipom to ever appear in the anime was Dawn's.

Now that she has sadly departed Dawn's team, no Ambipom has ever appeared since the 12th season (Galactic Battles).

I feel so sorry that Dawn's Ambipom was the only member of its species to ever appear in the anime.

Porygon2 and Porygon-Z have no appearances in the anime due to the "Electric Soldier Porygon incident" . Porygon-2 has a brief cameo in the Johto-Pokerap (Pokerap GS)
    Spoiler:

Yet somehow, Alakazam still gets to appear despite being very physically similar to Kadabra, lacking the star and the name etymology seems to be different in Japanese (being more of a Houdini reference or something along those lines). >.>

Interesting trivia about Dawn's Ambipom and her Pachirisu being the only members of their species to appear in the anime so far (goes to show how special Dawn is :cer_love:). Numel also seems to have only one appearance to its name, as a wild Pokemon (though there have been quite a few Camerupt appearances XD).

I guess Togetic's rarity stems from how Togepi was newly-discovered when we first saw it in the anime, being the second Johto Pokemon that debuted way before Generation 2 even "existed" in the games.

Ho-Oh is an interesting case, being the first Johto Pokemon to debut in the anime way before Generation 2 properly debuted in the game series. Lugia has been seen several times (one appearance even had it able to breed another young Lugia). It's shrouded in so much mystery...even the advent of the recent HeartGold/SoulSilver Versions didn't do much to help it out in appearances. At this point, Ho-Oh seems like it's being saved for a very important anime appearance with Ash, or the writers just never got around to giving it much appearances aside from all the stories we've heard about it in recitation. Possibly the prime example of a legendary Pokemon actually befitting of the "very rarely-seen" attribute commonly ascribed to legendary Pokemon.

Least seen Pokemon in the anime

And the Porygon line...I feel so bad for them. :( The Computer/Electric Soldier Porygon (Episode 038) incident wasn't even Porygon's fault; Pikachu's Thunderbolt triggered the seizure-inducing effect. :x And most of them are reduced only to movie cameos, and Porygon-Z doesn't have an anime appearance at all (though it does have existent anime artwork). So if you strictly watched/knew about only the Pokemon anime media up to the current, you would never even know that Porygon-Z exists? Wow...

It's good that The Pokemon Company is paying attention to the sensitivity of EP038, although I wish that the Porygon line members all receive an actual, full-fledged appearance in the Pokemon anime television show someday... They're Pokemon, too (and unjustly misblamed, at that). :x

psyanic

pop a wheelie on a zeitgeist
    Years
    • Age 27
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 10, 2023
    Show some love for Porygon!

I think the only Leafeon was in Zoey's possession, and she used it twice. And that's excluding the cameos.

Years
  • The only Krokorok to appear other than Ash's was the one owned by Clay.

Only two Excadrill have been seen, one belonging to Clay and the other belongs to Iris.

Only one Chimchar other than Ash's has been seen, and that's the one owned by Alice in The Rise Of Darkrai.

Only two Unfezant appeared outside of movies so far, one being a female one (Ash's) and the other being a male one (Skyla's).

Also, only two appearances of Frillish so far. One being the male one that belongs to Trip, the other being the female one that appeared in the episode where Ash, Cilan, Iris and Bianca compete in a fake fishing competition.

So far, only one Reuniclus appearance. That one being Damon's in White: Victini and Zekrom.

Also, Reuniclus' pre-evos - Solosis and Duosion have also had only 1 appearance so far, both were under someone's ownership. Doyle had Solosis in the Audino episode while Officer Jenny was seen with Duosion in the Beheeyem episode.

Gothitelle on the other hand has had 3 appearances so far (including the one Damon has in Black: Victini and Reshiram.) It's pre-evos - Gothita and Gothorita have had less appearances. Two Gothita appearances, both under someone's ownership (Koharu and Christie were the Trainers in question) while Gothorita's only appearance so far was in the Kami Trio 2-partner, under Yuuto's ownership. Also, another Gothita made a cameo in the episode when Ash and Cilan battled Emmet and Ingo.

Years
    • SC
    • Seen Apr 22, 2012
    Porygon2 and Porygon-Z are the only two Pokémon that have not been in any episodes of the series or the movies not including the Pokémon from Unova since the Unova series is still airing. I know Spiritomb has only been in one episode that I know of on the top of my head but I know there are other Pokémon that have only appeared once.

Back