• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Legacy of Battle Club & Don Tournaments

Kenshin5

Wanderer
Years
  • So far we have had at least 3 episodes set at Battle Club first BW004 where Ash meets Don George, learns about the Club, and catches Tepig. Second episode features him battling Trip in a nearly full battle, then finally last weeks episode with Ash facing Tepig former trainer Suwama to a match. So right there you have a rival battle, capture, and Tepig/Pignite development. Then we have the Don Tournaments which encompass 8 episodes four of each tournament we have seen. These tournaments has also brought together a multitude of rivals i.e. Trip, Stephan, Bianca, Georgia, Burgundy. As well they have both been oriented differently in terms of rules and pokemon allowed in and the number.

This raises the question what is the importance of Don Tournaments and the Battle Clubs? What is the lasting legacy they will leave on us? Are they are replacement to Contests or something different entirely, or do you have a different take on it? Do you think we will be more of these in the future? And what is your impression of them? Do you think they could do more with these tournaments and clubs if so what are your expectations?

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2012
    I think they are the contests of Unova tbh. I enjoy them a lot myself

Charicific

PkMn Trainer
    Years
  • They are the only episodes I await, because unlike filler episodes (which is quite a huge portion of the anime), they feature BATTLING! The main purpose of this franchise. In these tournaments, I think I can say that it's were you see Ash's Pokemons and skills are unleashed. Much more like the league. It gives a period for his team to refresh and sharpen skills in battling.

I cannot draw relation between them and contest and It wouldn't bother me anyway. I personally hope they go with this idea as long as the series is alive, not necessarily "Don Tournaments" but I mean same concept. Like competition held from time to time, and all rival gather up in one place and waves of great battles start.

Years
  • I'm fine with it, but as long as they don't just stall all the good battles with rivals until these tournaments, then go back to regular episodes. They need to keep it spaced. Also, somebody fire that guy who is inventing names like "Clubsplosion" and dull episode titles or get him to be a little more creative, thanks.

Kenshin5

Wanderer
    Years
  • They are the only episodes I await, because unlike filler episodes (which is quite a huge portion of the anime), they feature BATTLING! The main purpose of this franchise. In these tournaments, I think I can say that it's were you see Ash's Pokemons and skills are unleashed. Much more like the league. It gives a period for his team to refresh and sharpen skills in battling.

I cannot draw relation between them and contest and It wouldn't bother me anyway. I personally hope they go with this idea as long as the series is alive, not necessarily "Don Tournaments" but I mean same concept. Like competition held from time to time, and all rival gather up in one place and waves of great battles start.
    Definitely both facilitate teams in training and getting better as both Trainer and pokemon. We saw that when Ash took the initiative to train side by side his pokemon at Battle Club. Then he uses the first Don Tournament as a warm up for Elesa gym match. And I would assume he uses the second one as basic training for Scraggy and along the way for it to hone its skills with Focus Blast.

The relation I see it as is that it is a part of the show that fills in for Contests as opposed to say more fillers so now in place of the Contests we now have Tournaments. And I agree hopefully down the line they continue on with tournaments in one way shape or form.

I'm fine with it, but as long as they don't just stall all the good battles with rivals until these tournaments, then go back to regular episodes. They need to keep it spaced. Also, somebody fire that guy who is inventing names like "Clubsplosion" and dull episode titles or get him to be a little more creative, thanks.
    Unfortunately it seems like it may be taking away from rival battles as, Ash hasn't battled Trip since BW031. I like the spacing they have between the first and most recent one. As they had 3 gyms between them and 20+ episodes.

I want a tourney with the old characters too
    Well I guess we do now with either Champions League or World Tournament.

What is the importance of Don Tournaments and the Battle Clubs?
    I see them mostly as faculties where as already said trainers can sharpen their skills through training or battle with other trainers at Battle Club. It would seem as the ideal spot for trainers to converge if they are looking to battle. Don Tournaments serve as a way too keep ourselves up to date with rivals Trip, Bianca, Stephan, Burgundy, Georgia as well as their teams.

What is the lasting legacy they will leave on us?
    It may depending on how intense battles, how in depth of battles I mean full battles, or ones that don't make you do 1 on 1 matches like prior tournaments. Depending on how many more battles we have in each venue it will be seen as a good place to showcase great battles and develop pokemon.

Are they are replacement to Contests or something different entirely, or do you have a different take on it? Do you think we will be more of these in the future?
    They don't act in any way shape or form to Contests, but they serve the same principles as them. Being they occupy episodes slots that we need to past the time by otherwise we could be rolling with fillers constantly. Or like with Contest it gives a place were rivals meet up every now and then.

Do you think they could do more with these tournaments and clubs if so what are your expectations?
    Absolutely, we need more and ones with more detailed fights. Because what I have noticed is some of the fights are just to get the people advanced, well we don't need to know how random character of the days are doing. Just focus on battles like Iris vs. Burgundy, Cilan vs. Luke, Cilan vs. Trip, Bianca vs. Trip, and so on. Not instances of non important matches. I have the expectation of bigger tournaments as in the allowence of more pokemon since most if not all these matches have been conducted 1 on 1. As for the Battle Club I could see some more worth while battles come out of it. On top of all this both of these could be used as warms ups for the World Tournament.

Last edited:
    Back