• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Legacy

Years
    It means many different things to many different people. For some it's the possessions that linger on this mortal earth after they themselves have passed. For others it's touching other people's lives, leaving behind fond memories, being able to die in the comfort of being liked. For yet others it's touching the world, "making a difference", whether it be known or not. And for the fewest of us it's going down in history, enduring the ages in everlasting remembrance in fame or infamy. Material things, personal opinions, social impact, and eternal fame (or infamy) - these are but a few of the things we leave behind.

Is it important to be remembered or leave something behind? Do the people who think about such things love themselves too much, or is it something valid or honorable to think about? Is it something for everybody or only for those who have the money and time? When's the appropriate time to begin thinking of such matters, if at all? Does it come across as genuine or superficial, altruistic or selfish? What does it mean to you?

What would you like to leave behind?

for him.

I'm trash.
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Aug 6, 2023
    That's a hard one.... Wow this is food for thought. Hm.... Maybe...

I think I would want to leave behind memories, the good and the bad. If I am still somewhere in people's hearts (the ones I love of course), then it would prove that I existed and not some name on a rock or an urn full of ashes.

Corvus of the Black Night

Wild Duck Pokémon
    Years
    If I helped even one person through their life, if I made it so that even one person took one step closer to success when all the cards were stacked against them, then I'll be happy. If I make people realize that we're all born the same, regardless of colour, gender, disability, religion, culture, that we all know what a smile is, even if we have to touch it because we can't see it, even if just one person learns this, then I will be happy with what I have done.

Of course, that's when I say, "why stop at one person?"

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
    Well, for the most part, I try to live to enjoy myself and possibly make things a bit more enjoyable for others. I think most things I do tie into one or both of these things. In the end, I'll be happy if any number of people were better off for my being here. So long as I don't make things worse on others and I enjoy the ride (so far, so good), I think I'll still be content, though. I don't much care past that.

Alexander Nicholi

what do you know about computing?
    Years
    To my outermost self, and in the most realistic sense I hope to enjoy myself and help others enjoy their lives. True happiness from my legacy would be found in me drastically altering the course of human history, and although unlikely I very well believe it could happen. With a snap of a wire, William Gates became a millionaire, and went on to become the wealthiest man in the world because of it. I hope that one day I can fill such a legacy, and if not that I'll have at least enjoyed my time on this planet.

LoudSilence

more like uncommon sense
    Years
    • US
    • Seen Aug 7, 2016
    We all innately seek some purpose or meaning to our lives at some point. I think for many, this purpose transcends our limitations (usually "accomplishing" something after death) because we don't like our limitations. Being born, only to work towards sustaining yourself, procreating, and inevitably dying seems decidedly bleak and so we try to break free from that in some way.

My point is that I don't think it's selfish to want to leave a legacy, it's human nature: thinking that we have made some impact beyond our lifespan that may carry on throughout generations makes us feel "immortal" in a way, and escaping our mortality is a very appealing notion.

Years
    We all innately seek some purpose or meaning to our lives at some point. I think for many, this purpose transcends our limitations (usually "accomplishing" something after death) because we don't like our limitations. Being born, only to work towards sustaining yourself, procreating, and inevitably dying seems decidedly bleak and so we try to break free from that in some way.

My point is that I don't think it's selfish to want to leave a legacy, it's human nature: thinking that we have made some impact beyond our lifespan that may carry on throughout generations makes us feel "immortal" in a way, and escaping our mortality is a very appealing notion.

When does that cross over to egotism? Immortality and self-love go together. Having a legacy, to me, carries undertones of wanting to be different, of wanting to stand out and better than the rest of the world. Even if the effects are altruistic, we do it because we want to be happy with ourselves - it fulfills an emotional need first and foremost. Or does it?

Furthermore, I don't think everybody thinks about having a legacy, or at least to similar extents. It occurs to me as a privilege, that once you've settled everything in your own mortal life you have the comfort to think about leaving it. I feel that you need to have obtained a certain level of mental calmness before pursuing that thought. The very fact that you're able to think about your legacy means to me that you've accomplished something in this life - that you're calm enough about your own situation - regardless of how difficult it may "objectively" be - to think about a world bigger than yourself.

I think it's selfish precisely because it's human nature - in a way it's our survival instinct projected to abstract notions of life after death. It might be cynical, but that's how I see it, anyways.

Silais

That useless reptile
    Years
    • Seen Jul 17, 2016
    I'd like to leave behind whatever findings in juvenile delinquency I happen to discover, as well as whatever I write and publish. To be honest, I do not regard offspring as "legacy"—to me, that sounds as if you are placing material value on a human being, and I do not find that acceptable. Instead, my legacy would be something I accomplish in life, and being a mother is not really so much an accomplishment as a natural process.

Captios

閉じた恋の瞳
    Years
    I don't care so much about my legacy because, frankly, I don't care about much that happens after my death. It simply does not interest me as much as occurrences within my lifespan do.

LoudSilence

more like uncommon sense
    Years
    • US
    • Seen Aug 7, 2016
    BiS said:
    errtthang you said

I guess I'd say there is a line between "natural inclination" and "egotistical drive". The former is tied to a desire of passing on whatever legacy you may have, the latter to some level of self-importance and the conviction that your legacy is one of great value. The whole concept is an abstract form of self-preservation as I mentioned, but I think arrogance can distort this.

Is legacy something to plan for, though? What if, in your last dying moments, you suddenly decide to carve something into the floor or tell a passing stranger some piece of information? I haven't thought of my own legacy, but I think the concept is in there to some degree and may at some point in time manifest itself subconsciously.

Hmm, I mentioned this in another thread, but basically, I think instinct, that primal force behind every living creature, cannot be called "selfish" because that would mean that every single action everything does is selfish. What value does the term have when it applies to everything?

Years
    I guess I'd say there is a line between "natural inclination" and "egotistical drive". The former is tied to a desire of passing on whatever legacy you may have, the latter to some level of self-importance and the conviction that your legacy is one of great value. The whole concept is an abstract form of self-preservation as I mentioned, but I think arrogance can distort this.

Is legacy something to plan for, though? What if, in your last dying moments, you suddenly decide to carve something into the floor or tell a passing stranger some piece of information? I haven't thought of my own legacy, but I think the concept is in there to some degree and may at some point in time manifest itself subconsciously.

Hmm, I mentioned this in another thread, but basically, I think instinct, that primal force behind every living creature, cannot be called "selfish" because that would mean that every single action everything does is selfish. What value does the term have when it applies to everything?

But at the same time we can't attribute all of our actions to instinct, can we? You make it sound like there is no right and wrong, no room for human agency when you describe instinct as the primal force. To the extent that one's actions on their legacy is based on their egotistical drive, wouldn't their actions be selfish?

Years
    ..being a mother is not really so much an accomplishment as a natural process.

Of course it's a great accomplishment! Becoming a mother isn't that hard, but being a good one is a huge accomplishment! You should be proud of yourself. I may be too young to understand parenthood but I do look up at good parents.

As for me, I want to be remembered and respected after I'm gone. I know it doesn't really matter when you dead but still. I want to enjoy life and raise a nice family. To love and to be loved. All the cheesy, corny stuff but it's the truth.

Back