• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Legalizing Marijuana

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018

First of all, you're throwing out rights, rights that have no effect on things which are already illegal. I mean, you've said people have the right to their privacy, but nothing is illegal about abortion and homosexual activity. In addition to that, people have the right to refuse life saving medical treatment, but why should people be given the option to add to further engage in potentially dangerous substances and run the risk of going on to further substances by doing so? If you feel your argument is correct, you should also assume that the same argument could justify the use of class A drugs such as ecstasy because it's a "personal liberty".

There are may aspect of abortion that are still illegal. And there is nothing illegal about homosexuality now, but before 2003, there were many sodomy laws on the books in several states. My point is that American jurisprudence has evolved over time to give people more and more personal liberties. People in the future will look back at how silly we were for banning marijuana like people today look back at how silly we were for banning interracial marriage.

Dawn

[span="font-size:180%;font-weight:900;color:#a568f
    Years
  • Whether or not a company will ban its employees from smoking on its premises is the sole decision of that company. Employees should express their grievances to their superiors.

Why would I do that if I can just fight for a greater cause, rather than just focusing on one specific company which has no particular reason to listen to me since I happen to be a minority there?

Azure Revolver

HONK HONK
    Years
  • I say legalize it for those 18/21 years or older.

Tobacco does more damage to you than Marijuana for a variety of reasons, yet it is not even legalized for medical use in some areas.

It's stupid.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
    Years
  • I think all drugs should be legal. Part of the allure of drugs is that you're doing wrong - I know this because I work in a liquor store where underage kids are always trying to buy it. If everything was legal, there would be less attracting people to them.

That said, I don't even drink. I think all drugs (and by those I mean alcohol, tobacco and all the currently-illegal drugs) are stupid and I would never go anywhere near any of them. But if people want to do it and mess up their lives, that's their business.

My one pet hate is people interfering with other people. People are too concerned with what everyone else is doing. Just focus on yourself and leave everyone else alone.

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    I think all drugs should be legal. Part of the allure of drugs is that you're doing wrong - I know this because I work in a liquor store where underage kids are always trying to buy it. If everything was legal, there would be less attracting people to them.

That said, I don't even drink. I think all drugs (and by those I mean alcohol, tobacco and all the currently-illegal drugs) are stupid and I would never go anywhere near any of them. But if people want to do it and mess up their lives, that's their business.

My one pet hate is people interfering with other people. People are too concerned with what everyone else is doing. Just focus on yourself and leave everyone else alone.

I agree. Human nature is to want what is prohibited of taboo. People should have the right to make personal decisions. If they end up being harmful, that's their choice to harm themselves.

The Trotsky

Wake and Bake
    Years
  • I mean right changing society as a whole and the way think is a nice thought, but realistically we should leave drugs that severely harm people off the markets. This would normally include alcohol and tobacco too, but I think they've become too ingrained in our society to remove at this point.

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    I mean right changing society as a whole and the way think is a nice thought, but realistically we should leave drugs that severely harm people off the markets. This would normally include alcohol and tobacco too, but I think they've become too ingrained in our society to remove at this point.

The problem with your argument is, there will always be a market for those drugs whether they are legal or not.

The Trotsky

Wake and Bake
    Years
  • Oh no doubt, but keeping them illegal at least curbs their accessibility. But as it is, no kid is likely to stumble across a syringe full of heroin and shoot up by accident. On the other hand, a kid drinking their parents' alcohol by accident or intentionally is not uncommon at all

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    Oh no doubt, but keeping them illegal at least curbs their accessibility. But as it is, no kid is likely to stumble across a syringe full of heroin and shoot up by accident. On the other hand, a kid drinking their parents' alcohol by accident or intentionally is not uncommon at all

The prohibition of alcohol was tried and failed miserably, though.

The Trotsky

Wake and Bake
    Years
  • My point exactly. I'm suggesting that alcohol and tobacco are so ingrained that it is illogical to try and ban them now. But the other drugs we have banned are being kept under check to some degree. The black market is still massive but nowhere near as prevalent as the market presence of tobacco products and liquor stores

Years
  • I completely support the legalization of Marijuana for anyone over 19 (same age to purchase cigarettes). Cigarettes are worst for you and react with your body differently than Marijuana.
    For anyone who supports the legalization of Marijuana, I advise you to watch the documentary "The Union." Very informative and explains a lot that you may not know.

Years
  • i think that it shouldn't be legalized. ever!!!!!
    people are doing bad things with alcohol alone, and possibly cigarettes too. now drugs? i heard a story at school where someone killed someone else and took their money for drugs. there will be more choas if it's legalized. (not to offend or upset anyone).

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    i think that it shouldn't be legalized. ever!!!!!
    people are doing bad things with alcohol alone, and possibly cigarettes too. now drugs? i heard a story at school where someone killed someone else and took their money for drugs. there will be more choas if it's legalized. (not to offend or upset anyone).

The weird thing is that alcohol was prohibited to create more peace but it actually created organized crime.

In fact, Portugal decriminalized personal drug use a while back, and drug use among teens declined because of this.

Bela

Banned
    Years
  • When Prohibition was enacted, this led to the rise of Al Capone's criminal enterprise. Repealing the prohibition led to the fall of his operations, which thrived on the illegal status of alcohol.

With the current failed "war on drugs" in this country, if we legalized marijuana, we would take the power over the drug out of illegal forces' hands. Luck is right about the decriminalizing effect that legalizing alcohol has, and it's the same case with marijuana.

Morgnarok

PokéCommunity Supporter - Platinum Tier
    Years
  • There is synthetic weed out for a reason. Since synthetic weed is still legal(At least in US)
    I see no need to legalize it. You get same high off Synthetic.

Alex

what will it be next?
    Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2022
    There is synthetic weed out for a reason. Since synthetic weed is still legal(At least in US)

Synthetic weed? Seriously?

If I made an apple, told you it tasted the same, would you eat it?

The Trotsky

Wake and Bake
    Years
  • Have you ever smoked synthetic? It is not the same high, and that is why it is not nearly as popular. It also costs more (depending where you buy your actual weed from) since they have to make it in a lab

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    There is synthetic weed out for a reason. Since synthetic weed is still legal(At least in US)

Along with what others said(since natural is generally the best), synthetic weed is not only illegal, but also has different health risks.

-The DEA makes fake pot a controlled substance

And here are some of the health risks associated with said synthetic weed.
    https://www.livescience.com/6149-fake-weed-real-drug-k2-causing-hallucinations-teens.html
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2719097/?tool=pmcentrez
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20056392

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • As long as marijuana isn't abused as much as it is now, then I'm okay with it being legalized. If it's been (ab)used outside of medicine, then it should be illegalized.

Melody

Banned
    Years
  • The primary reason marijuana is abused, is because it is illegal.

By keeping it illegal, we give money to the wrong people. Crooked people who may end up lacing that joint they sold you with something a little more...or worse. Synthetic marijuana is not the same, and I'm told by peers, an unreliable source yes, that it has some long term health risks anyway. There are counties near here which have banned the synthetic over health concerns because some teens got a hold of some of that and got real sick after overdoing it, mistaking it for real marijuana, which is very difficult to overdose on I've heard.

All of that being said, if we legalize marijuana and tax it properly like we do tobacco and alcohol at the federal and possibly state levels; then it may help the our governmen money woes, even if only a small bit.

Back