• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Pokémon] Legend of The Dark Prince

Have you actually read this story?

• No, I just clicked on it and then clicked the back button.

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • I read a bit, and then lost interest.

Votes: 6 46.2%
  • I have read it, I will get back to it later, it seems interesting.

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • I have read it completely, I can't wait for the next chapter.

Votes: 4 30.8%

• Total voters
Years
  • Seen Jan 27, 2018
The final Part of the tedious Nimbasa Arc. There were parts which I rushed because I didn't feel them worthy enough to write, but over all I did an "okay" job with the arc. The next chapters deals with consequences resulted due to actions in this arc, which leads to more actions and more consequences and so on until everything ends with a big bang.

Warning: Some amount of swearing in this chapter, mostly from Giovanni and Ghetsis.

Nimbasa Tour Part IV: The Wrath of Ghetsis Harmonia

Giovanni

The moment has finally come. He has brought Ghetsis to the weakest, with a defense composed of merely five grunts. Although the fact that there was nothing much on his defense either wasn't comforting, if Darkrai moved like he expected the five grunts will fall pretty soon. Then Ghetsis would be at his feet.

'How I would love that.' Giovanni thought. Still, would it happen so easily? Giovanni wondered. Ghetsis was the leader of Team Plasma, a team that moved on a sole conviction: To liberate Pokémon. While he was just the leader of a group of people who work purely for money, and wouldn't even think twice about betraying their team, most of them at least. This was why he had a sneaking suspicion that everything might not go as he expects them to. Losing to Team Plasma repeatedly made the Rocket Boss skeptic of his chances.

The atmosphere at the temporary base of Plasma in Nimbasa was filled with tension. Two of the most influential people in the entire world stood before each other. As if to acknowledge their meeting, the cold wind swept past them making the already cold surroundings, colder. The tall, dark buildings became the silent spectators, and so were the men around the two. The strong winds blew a tin can of some sort, somewhere at a distance, creating an annoying sound in the otherwise quiet environment. The entire city seemed to be hushed down to silence, just so that nothing would dare to disturb tem.

The Predator Pokémon, Staraptor watched on the scene from afar, as per its orders. From where it watched, the men looked no different from the sturdy electric pole or the streetlights, as they were all still and motionless.

Giovanni's left hand which held the unconscious Plasma's shirt became moist. His Persian maintained a vigilant eye on all those who surrounded Giovanni. It was perhaps Giovanni's only defense, if one wouldn't count the distant Staraptor or Darkrai.

Giovanni was tempted to turn back, to see if the phantom Pokémon was really behind him. But doing so was an act of cowardice, and not expected of him.

Ghetsis himself was an intimidating beast. He was about half a foot taller than the six-foot Giovanni. His eye, the one not covered by the red visor, was a dull grey. He had a vicious smile on his face, that of a beast which cornered its prey.

However things were different, Giovanni thought. There was something he hid in his arsenal, a secret bomb in the form of the legendary Darkrai. Once it explodes, the entirety of Plasma will be in his hands. And so, Giovanni returned his own trademark smile.

"I have always wanted to meet you, Giovanni." Ghetsis said, his lips spread even more.

"The feeling is mutual," Giovanni said, his confidence unwavering.

Ghetsis's eyes moved down to Giovanni's hand, which held the Plasma grunt. "You have a present for me? How nice of you, I have prepared a gift for you too." he showed to a grunt holding the blonde woman. Her mouth was tied with a white cloth, and her hands, legs with a nylon rope. The woman wide opened her eyes, which according to Giovanni could either be an expression of pain or perhaps an expression of fury. Knowing her personality, Giovanni assumed it was the latter.

"But I know, let's talk about something important." Ghetsis stroked his chin thoughtfully for a second and exclaimed, "How is your venture in the Resort Desert holding up?"

"Thanks for asking," the lifeless eyes of Giovanni pretended to show compassion, "But I think you should be more worried about your own venture."

"Oh, now really you are such a gentleman," Ghetsis nodded, his face turned somewhat serious. "We have sent five Plasma jeeps behind your excavation team, if you remember."

Back then, when Giovanni turned right and entered Nimbasa, the Rocket truck headed by Laura moved left. The Truck was chased by the Plasma jeeps in an attempt to destroy the Rocket Operation.

Giovanni raised an eyebrow, "Of course, how would I forget that? In fact I did expect a cordial welcome from your side."

The Desert Highway, Route 4

"Oh god." Officer Jenny gasped.

The newly constructed highway was a now a big mess. The traffic was restricted, the horns blared, and people shouted names at each other. A fire truck appeared, with a loud siren, forcing the other vehicles to make way.

Many sorts of water Pokémon like Jellicent, Alommola used their respective attacks to put off the large fire in the middle of the road. Five vehicles, which seemed identical, lay in disarray; their once bright features were now singed into a tar black. Two of the vehicles were turned upside down, and a trail of blood flowed through the last jeep which seemed be the least affected by the blasts. Half of a man's body appeared from the front window, the rest trapped underneath. Another body was thrown far away, bent in an unusual and impossible L-shape.

The officer was forced to cover her nose with a kerchief as the overpowering stench of burnt bodies swept into her nostrils and twisted her stomach. Although she has been in service for three years, it was her first time that she witnessed something this horrible.

"What happened?" She asked the other officer, who was first on the scene.

"Multiple Bomb blasts, they were planned." The officer said. "There were twenty-three of them, all belong to Team Plasma."

"What!" Jenny exclaimed.

Giovanni

"I have anticipated it, and prepared company for them." Giovanni slowly placed his hands inside his pockets, and stood casually.

"Excellent!" Ghetsis clapped. A reaction that startled men on both sides. "As expected from an able leader like yourself."

'Is he hiding something or is he simply butt hurt?' Giovanni could only wonder. He said, "Once my Team escapes into the resort desert, stopping the vehicle would be impossible. There are three separate routes. Even I don't know which route they might have taken. I assume this is a lost battle for you, Ghetsis."

Ghetsis chortled, taking a step back. He adjusted his robe, and said, "Apologies for my behavior. But Giovanni," the vicious smile returned, "Now let's assume a scenario. I have many little birds in my humble cage. Now, suppose if I have sent one little bird to your nest," his eyes were to Giovanni's face which started to change expression. "And let's suppose that this little bird sang your song in my ears."

The Desert Highway, Lane 2

The Rocket Truck was zooming its way towards the Resort Desert. The members on the truck were in anticipation, as they were about to take part in what was one of the most historic event to be unfolded.

Or so did they expect to happen until another truck appeared out of nowhere and rammed the Ice-truck on the left. The vehicle spun around, losing its balance. It crashed against the railings and then entered into the open desert waste; the truck's tires sank deep into the sand, stopping the vehicle abruptly. The driver desperately pressed on the accelerator, which could only raise some dust.

Laura barged the door open with a single kick, followed by a couple of grunts who were eager to get out. They froze in their tracks, when they spotted something they didn't expect.

About three vehicles full of Plasma grunts jumped down their respective trucks and jeeps, and positioned themselves before the truck's door.

Giovanni

Giovanni looked like he was stung by a Beedrill. He grit his teeth and stomped his foot against the ground, "I knew there were rats among my grunts."

Ghetsis looked at the Rocket boss with pity, "Knowing is one thing, Giovanni." He shook his head in sorrow, "Acting on that knowledge is altogether a different issue."

"Indeed." Giovanni lifted his head, with a savage smile on his face. The sage Giallo who watched him shivered, as he resembled a beast that would tear them apart with its bloody fangs and claws, if it were to be trifled with. He pressed his left arm tightly, scared by the looks on the Rocket boss's face. Of course, none of it was seen outside as he did so under the shade of his long gown.

Ghetsis frowned. The glint on Giovanni's eyes worried the Plasma boss. A pregnant silence followed.

Giovanni said, "Countless number of hours, countless number of HOURS! I have spent all that time, wondering how the **** my plans kept on being thwarted. I thought there was this stinky little rat in my house. And I tried many times to catch him. But of course, I failed."

Ghetsis remained silent. Letting the furious Giovanni continue his monologue.

"But I had an idea," he said. "I divided this single mission into multiple missions, giving each of my teams, equal roles in it." The wrinkles on his forehead disappeared, a victorious smile took its place on his face, "And hence equal chance to ruin the plan, a decoy plan to be exact."

It was Ghetsis's turn to look pale and surprised.

"Have you ever seen an air balloon?" Giovanni asked the astonished Ghetsis.

Giovanni's memory

That night when Giovanni had a long conversation with the Dark Prince, only half the talk was about his freedom and Domino. The other half was something even Giovanni didn't think of. They were reviewing about the plan they sketched out earlier. It was a new experience to the Prince, planning something of this level and to Giovanni, to discuss such things with his son. It was during this review, the Dark Prince suddenly dropped in his idea.

"Dad, I have wondered." The Prince asked, "Why don't your team member use those air balloons anymore?"

"My team members used Air balloons?" He asked, unaware of any such thing.

"Jessie, James and Meowth used to follow me on that. We could use it to transport our equipment, plus they won't catch much attention like helicopters."

The boy unknowingly suggested something that sparked an idea in his father's mind. The spark then grew and developed into a perfect plan. The next moment he called James, "Where's Meowth?" He was the only one not assigned any jobs, as he wasn't available for the meeting. Back then it didn't occur to Giovannithat he was missing.

The blue-haired man looked down nervously, "Um, sir. He isn't here."

"Then where is he?" He asked, on the verge of shouting.

The executive was caught off-guard by the sudden temper of his boss. "He…" He said, stretching the word like a bubble gum.

"James, we don't have all day," Giovanni snapped.

"Sir, he's on a secret mission, by Professor Zager," he blurted out. "He's in the Dragonspiral tower, which according to the Professor is the most probable location of Zekrom."

Giovanni curled his fingers into a fist, "I have told him, to forget it and concentrate on the current location. Does he like not following my orders?"

"Sir," James raised his head. He opened his mouth to defend his partner.

But Giovanni cut him off, "Call him, and tell him to come back A.S.A.P"

Ghetsis Harmonia

"Of course you might wonder what happened to those grunts you sent after that Ice truck," Giovanni chuckled, as if enjoying some private joke. "If you check tomorrow's headlines, you'll find out that an anonymous person sent a video to the television channel. A couple of Plasma grunts were seen carrying lethal weapons." He nodded. "Ah, that would be some news."

"You!" Ghetsis roared. His face looked like that of a mad beast, "How dare you?" He snarled. If Giovanni was a mad beast till then, Ghetsis was only madder.

Giovanni returned a haughty smile, enjoying his adversary's plight, "Now your team will be blacklisted too, I suppose." He expected Ghetsis's face to turn redder, with anger.

Like a magic, Ghetsis's face turned calm, a smile spread on his lips. "I am surprised, Giovanni. You have really outwitted me." He held the silence for an instant, "Yes, you have won." Ghetsis bowed and saluted Giovanni.

The sage and grunts were astonished by Ghetsis's reaction. The man who took pride in his intelligence, in his ideals, and kept his head high no matter what the situation was—now bowed to a mere mortal. If Ghetsis were to bow to anyone, Giallo thought, it would be the legendary Zekrom himself.

Giovanni smirked, accepting Ghetsis's acknowledgement. This was what he wanted for the past one year. He has finally clinched victory from Plasma's hands. This could easily be the best day of his life, Giovanni remarked to himself.

"But," Ghetsis jerked his hand, pushing his robe, exposing the grey pants he wore underneath. Ah, how fortunate the word 'but' existed, Giallo thought. He waited for Ghetsis's next words. "All of it shall be in vain, if you die here."

Understanding their lord's signal the five grunts placed their guns in position at once, prepared to pull the trigger at the man whom he bowed to. In contrast Giovanni's smile remained the same, despite the fact that death was at his door step. It was as if he thought the guns were toys. His firm smile confused the grunts, but both Ghetsis and Giovanni knew, the former wouldn't kill the latter so easily.

And it was because of this that Giovanni was confident, that Ghetsis and his men would soon fall prey to Darkrai.

Ghetsis lifted an arm, asking them to hold the fire. Giovanni remained smiling for a long time, waiting for the Dark Void to pull the Plasma boss into a nightmare, and pay for the anguish he faced till then. But it didn't happen. The Dark Void never came. Giovanni's smile slowly started to disappear. In turn, proportionately, Ghetsis's beaming face only grew brighter.

Ghetsis then laughed hard, as hard as hundred people put together, hard enough to echo throughout Nimbasa. "You didn't expect your backup betraying didn't you?"

Sweat formed on Giovanni's face, as he showed the first signs of panic.

"Did it not occur to you that the same Pokémon that approached you might have also approached me?"

He said after a brief silence, "When I saw the rain consuming my men and Pokémon, I knew 'he' was here. I always had preparations ready for him, ever since I betrayed 'him'."

"Y-You—what?"

Ghetsis chortled once more, "There is more to Darkrai than you have ever imagined, Giovanni. Blindly trusting him is foolishness. You will pay with death for trusting someone like him."

Giallo shared a smile with the Plasma leader, he too knew of the outcome. Giovanni had an unexpected power with him, but the knowledge Ghetsis and he possessed was more than unexpected. The grunts placed their fingers on the trigger, ready to click it anytime the boss ordered. They were humble followers of Ghetsis, who went to great lengths to serve him.

'N-No.' Giovanni thought. 'I am Giovanni, of Team Rocket. I know better than to die like this.'

The Rocket Boss said, "That's true. But I have never trusted 'him' in the first place, let alone rely on 'him' to save me."

Ghetsis shot a glare, 'What the heck does he mean?'

The Staraptor, which understood that Giovanni was in danger then prepared to send a message to its distant trainer.

The Dark Prince

The two young men and their Pokémon stood facing each other. Unlike their elderly counterparts, they hardly knew each other.

One of them was our beloved Dark Prince, in his early teens. The other boy was also of the same age, and was green haired. His gaze was sharp, but his eyes indicated that he must have seen and suffered many painful things in his short life.

The Prince was annoyed. Who is this guy that seemed to pop out of nowhere in a curfew struck city, while everyone else were hiding in their houses or other shelters.

Whoever he is, he must have quite a nerve to stop the Dark Prince. I will freak him out,he thought.

He turned to the Zoroark standing beside him. 'Hey Zoroark. Get back into your Pokéball if you want your trainer safe and sound. You won't stand a chance against my Charizard. '

The Zoroark held its breath for a moment then frowned for a second, and then exchanged a glance with its trainer. It was followed by a smile on the boy's face. The frown on the Pokémon's face was then replaced by a grin. It was as if they had a conversation with just a glance.

The Charizard beside the Prince opened its mouth in surprise. It growled something at the Dark Prince for a second.

It was his turn to gasp in surprise, 'He spoke with you?' The Pokémon nodded, equally surprised.

Who the heck is he?

"I am saddened," the expression on the green-haired boy's showed he really was. "I didn't expect a fellow chosen being of Zekrom to be a kidnapper."

'Chosen by Zekrom?' He wanted to ask, but his pride didn't let him to do so.

He said, "It's none of your business. This girl's mine."

"I am not talking about Misty, seventeenth Gym Leader of Cerulean City."

The Dark Prince stared at him blankly, his mouth opened in surprise.

"I am talking about the thirty-one Pokémon in your bag, along with the Charizard and the other two Pokémon completing some errands for you. In fact every Pokémon trainer is a kidnapper in my eyes."

The Dark Prince opened his mouth to say something. "How did you—" He stopped suddenly and looked into the distant sky, struck in terror. He then turned to Charizard, "Dad's in danger, we gotta go!"

The Prince hopped onto the Pokémon, and then they dashed into the sky at full speed.

"I was starting to enjoy our conversation," N's face was that of an innocent child who just missed an important episode of his favorite cartoon. "Never mind. We will meet him again someday."

Giovanni

"So, what shall it be?" Giovanni smirked. Although he was ready to be shot by about five people around him, he coolly placed his hands inside his pocket. "My Persian is well trained and can move fast enough to hit that button before anyone tries to shoot it. One wrong move, from any one of you and he will activate that bomb."

Persian inched its claws close to the red-button on the device strapped to the unconscious Plasma grunt's belt.

"I am glad you sent suicide bombers after me," he said, nonchalantly.

Ghetsis cursed himself, for not anticipating something like this from a resourceful man such as Giovanni. Thanks to him, his own life was in the hands—no, the paws of a Persian!

Ghetsis exchanged a glance with the old sage, who lowered his head in defeat. "Now, tell them to drop the guns and Pokéball," Giovanni commanded. "And be quick about it."

The grunts looked at each other, wondering what to do. Ghetsis spoke up, "Do it." He said with difficulty, as if he were forced to leave a grand treasure in some abandoned island.

"Sir," they agreed, hesitatingly but almost immediately. They slowly dropped their guns one after the other.

"Now, release my girl," Giovanni demanded.

Ghetsis nodded to the sage, who then nodded at a grunt closest to her. The grunt bent to untie the blonde's legs. She wriggled her leg away from him as soon as the rope loosened. She pulled herself together and struggled to get up. The grunt proceeded to untie her hands before Giovanni stopped her.

"Don't untie her hands," he said. 'She is better off with her mouth shut like that.'

The woman's eyebrows closed in, she paced towards Giovanni, half stumbling in the process. She craned her neck up to meet up with his eyes. The Rocket boss simply ignored her, and pushed her away like a pesky little child, to not interrupt his battle of stares against the Plasma Boss. The woman insulted by Giovanni's actions tried to send another deathly stare at him from the right, but couldn't as she barely reached his shoulders.

"Very well, Ghetsis," Giovanni smiled. "With that we take our leave."

Ghetsis thought, Leave? If the Persian moves a single step away from that button, he's dead meat.'

"Flamethrower!" A voice commanded out of nowhere.

"What?" Ghetsis jerked his head up. A wall of fire was crashing onto them, spreading wide like the lava from a volcano, preparing to annihilate them into bio mass. Blinded by the sudden light from the attack, Ghetsis covered his face with his hands and took a step to sprint away from the attack. The hot flames landed on the asphalt at the same time, the physical obstruction caused it to dissipate in all directions. Alarmed by the approaching flames he leapt as far as he could and landed on the rough surface.

His palms were sore with multiple cuts resulting from a rough landing. A sharp sting of pain hit him, which was more annoying than painful. "Dammit," he cursed. The flames from the Pokémon has already died out, leaving nothing but few fumes that seemed to emanate from the black-turned greyish road.

A large Pokémon with two powerful limbs, and relatively smaller hands, which carried a red-haired girl slowly landed where it once launched the attack. It flapped its large red-blue wings once before letting out a roar that rivaled a lions.

Atop the Pokémon was a boy, his face covered by the darkness under his hood.

At that moment Ghetsis realized that holding fire because of Giovanni's threat was no longer meaningful. "Fire!" He shouted as hard as he ever could. The grunts behind immediately zeroed their guns onto the Pokémon and its trainer. But the Pokémon immediately let out its own fire, sending a flood of flames down the road to throw them into disarray. Then, with a powerful gust lifting away anyone who was still on their feet, the Pokémon shot into the sky, like a rocket.

Meanwhile, Giovanni and Domino fled away while their attention was on the Prince and his Charizard.

The next second, the Pokémon and its trainer were only a distant dot in the endless sky. Ghetsis gritted his teeth so hard that one might think he could crush them in the process. His knuckles turned white, the men around him also had to face the discomfort that he was grumbling like a mad dog. He swiveled his head towards a grunt, "What are you watching? Go and get Giovanni," he barked. The grunt that stood close to the Plasma boss flinched at the sudden outburst.

"Y-Yes sir," he immediately took to his heels.

"Ghetsis, my lord." Giallo said, "I think catching Giovanni might be difficult now," the wise sage said. Ghetsis remained silent, but the look of anger hadn't faded from his face. The sage then said again, "We were attacked by a powerful Pokémon trainer. He must have put a couple of Pokémon to guard Giovanni, guns don't beat Pokémon."

As if to agree with the sage, a blood curdling scream was heard from somewhere distant. It was the grunt who was sent to follow Giovanni.

A deadly silence followed the sage's words, like the silence before a storm. The grunts trembled in fear, as if they were directly under an active volcano. And then—

"GIOVANNI!"

The loud scream reverberated through the streets of Nimbasa for five minutes. Houses all around flickered with lights, but none of course dared to step out, because of the terrorist threat. After the five minutes, the lights all turned off, as they all assumed that it was a wild Pokémon gone berserk. The police ignored it casually as if nothing happened. For the unfortunate people, which were the Plasma grunts and the sage who were unlucky enough to stand close to him, the sound lingered for five more minutes in their ears, and for some, the rest of their lives.

The Team Rocket

"Mission accomplished," the Pokémon whispered into the Rocket transmitters. "The necessary stone for awakening Zekrom isn't here." In the grand world of Pokémon there is but one of them who could speak English fluently, without the aid of any telekinetic powers. He was Meowth, the last and one of the most cunning executive of Team Rocket. As an executive his admins and grunts revered him as a genius planner. Members of Team Rocket go to great lengths just to work under him. Yet all of this respect didn't just come to him. He had to work hours and days, taking insults from people below and above him, while still striving to set an example as a leader. After six months of spending his time as an executive, he finally received the respect he deserved. But today, was an altogether different level of success for him.

Giovanni gave him the heavy responsibility of handling the team's equipment to Relic Castle. Although the original plan involved all twenty-three units of Team Rocket to transport the equipment via the ice-truck, they were only a decoy for Plasma. Who else would make such a detailed and elaborate plans for a decoy, other than the genius Giovanni!

They completely vanquished Team Plasma before they even reached their destination. But the leader of the attack, a sage named Rood managed to escape from their clutches in the last-minute.

Even so, this was Team Rocket's first victory against Team Plasma, and he was proud to be the one in charge.

"Fall back to the base, contact the boss and inform the news."

He turned off the transmitters and let out a heavy sigh. 'But Plasma will receive a bigger blow than this.' He smiled, looking at the mobile phone in his hands. He threw the phone into the air and slashed it into pieces with his sharp claws. "Can't leave clues to the police, can we?"

Ghetsis

"That son of a harlot!" Ghetsis banged against the table made of teak wood. The steel supports cringed with his banging. "How dare he mocks me like this!" He banged once again, a bolt sprang out, and the table's legs stretched apart.

Once the mishap with Giovanni ended, Ghetsis secluded himself to his chambers, screaming about revenge and what not. The grunts waited outside, terrified of his wrath and worrying about the results from today's disaster at the same time.

A gentle knock on the door interrupted Ghetsis's sexual-related abuses at Giovanni. He kicked the table away from his chair and snapped the door open, almost lifting off its hinges. His gaze softened when his eyes met with Giallo, the sage.

"What is it?" He asked, making a half-baked attempt to hide his anger.

"Lord," his face carried an amount of sorrow, "We have experienced some difficulties, sir."

Giallo noticed the anger on Ghetsis's face returning back to its original state. He quickly spoke out, "Rood's team was wiped out near the vicinity of Relic Castle."

"What?" He exclaimed. "Who did it? The ****ing Team Rocket?"

"Yes and—" he thought for a second before saying the next statement, "The police from Castelia." He said it in a low voice.

'The Police?' Ghetsis involuntarily took a step back, unable to digest what Giallo said.

"They received an anonymous tip said that members of Team Plasma attacked a lone Ice truck. The evidence given to the media was also given to the police, sir."

Ghetsis's head spun around like the Ferris wheel. He took a seat on the couch in the living room, brushing his fingers through his hair. "What did the police do?" Ghetsis's voice was almost a whisper.

"They caught Rood and few grunts back from the Relic Castle. They found some equipment in the Relic Castle and took them in as evidence."

"The Rockets?" He sprang up, "Did they get them?"

"According to Rood, they all magically disappeared by the time the police hit the castle."

"Magically?" Ghetsis asked, incredulous.

"The hot air balloons, I presume," the old sage said brushing his long white beard for once.

"Right. The balloons," the humiliation was too much for him. "What are our men in the police department doing?" He asked, once again resuming his sulking form.

"The tips were sent to seven different stations at once, sir. We couldn't stop them, and there was also this media intervention. They have saved Rood from the trouble of entering the station, at least."

Ghetsis closed his eyes for a second and then said, "Kill the grunts in the custody, and tell the media that we don't have any relation with them!"

"A wise decision, my lord." He agreed with the course of plan Ghetsis took. 'But after this, we will make it to the wanted charts for sure.' "We should be careful from now, Ghetsis. I will begin with our grunts scattered around Nimbasa. We may have to go undercover by morning."

Giallo noticed he was busy thinking something.

In Ghetsis's mind: 'I swear to god, Giovanni. I won't kill you. You will live a long life, a life full of agony and pain. I will crush everything you love. Your dreams, the woman you love, the son you crave for, and the organization you built. Everything, I will crush everything that you are attached to. The day will come when you'll beg me to leave you alone, beg me to kill you instead and beg and beg and beg and beg and beg until I crush your last hopes like the Venipede you are!'

"I will not kill you, Giovanni." Those were the only words he said aloud, and instantly Giallo knew what was going in Ghetsis's mind.

Paul

While the Dark Prince and the others experienced a really long, adventurous and tense filled night full of twists Paul, Casey and Brandon slept in the mysterious cave which they found in the terrible winter night. It was when the sunlight graced them; they woke up and realized they were in what seemed to be a rather strange situation.

"Ruins of Alps?" There was a genuine surprise on Paul's face.

He took the Pokégear and checked if they were doing something wrong while handling it. But it didn't change, the location kept saying Ruins of Alps no matter what they did.

"Are we in Johto?" Casey asked, she seemed like she would break down anytime.

"Of course not." Paul said, "If anything we should be worried that our Pokégear isn't working."

"Paul, I wouldn't be so sure." Brandon's voice shook, as he watched something behind them.

"What's with you?" Shouldn't Brandon be a lot braver than they were? After all he must have been lost in wilderness a lot many times in search of exotic treasures. He turned behind to see what it was. All he could see was two stone pillars—wait stone pillars? He remembered getting into a cave which was nothing but a small opening amidst the rocks that led to a den where they slept. Not two stone pillars and there definitely wasn't a sign board which had letters that hardly resembled any language he knew, which were English…..okay, only English.

"What's going on, Brandon?"

"Did you never visit Ruins of Alps when you journeyed through Johto?" He asked.

"No." It doesn't have useful Pokémon, he wanted to say but the situation wasn't so favorable.

"History says the ruins have nine entrances, like this one. But the actual ruins of Alps only have seven. These ruins exactly resemble them, the Unown letter are proof."

'So those are Unown?' There were very few things he didn't know about Pokémon. His pride prevented him from telling Brandon that he didn't know those letters was Unown.

"The ruins of Alps exist in only one place, Johto." Brandon revealed it with a hint of tension in his voice, as if it was something hideous.

"Brandon, did something hit you on your head?" Paul asked. "It is geographically impossible. It takes a flight, two trains and a motor vehicle to go to Ruins of Alps, if I remember the place correctly. We can't just walk into Johto."

Brandon had to agree with it, what was he thinking? He was the pyramid king, how could he be so foolish.

"I'll go and check what's inside." Casey walked inside.

Meanwhile Brandon took liberty to check the surroundings. The blizzard last night was too much which was why they couldn't check the surroundings. Although either of them swore that they walked a great deal of time among the forest trees and the snow, they didn't want to admit it, because it contradicted reality and they would have to believe that they have been magically transported to Johto. Everything around them was rubble, broken pillars, crumbled statues and the remains of houses that once proudly stood in a well-arranged manner. One of the interesting parts was that, the entire structure seemed to be built of white marble stones.

The only thing that kept them from going insane was the snow, it was the only instance in common with what they have 'thought' they saw in the blizzard ridden journey and what lay before them.

"It seems as if a whole civilization has been brought down by something or someone," Brandon figured it out as he saw a rather large amount of stone and dust in a particular area. Then he slowly tried to shape things, "This," he pointed to the rubble on the right, "Is a line of houses," he pointed in the direction where their 'cave' was. "And this is a road, I must say, a well laid one, considering they seem to maintain the outlines after so many hundreds…" He paused, "Or perhaps thousands of years."

Paul remained silent, because he wasn't an expert about studying remains of ancient civilization, so he decided sinking in the information was a better thing to do.

"Brandon," he interrupted Brandon's study, "Casey hasn't come back yet, should I check on her?"

Brandon contemplated for a second, "I'll come too," he said.

"I hope there isn't a secret passage in the cave that led her to some dangerous trap," Brandon said worriedly. Paul looked at him, wondering if something like that would even exist.

Just as they approached the entrance Casey came in a semi-walking and running pace. "Guys, where were you?"

"We were here all the time." Brandon asked, to which Casey shook her head in disbelief.

"Can you come in once?" She didn't wait for the answer and pulled him into the den, Paul silently followed.

They entered the den, it was the same as it was few minutes ago, and there weren't any new holes that popped out to take them into mysterious dimensions.

"What is wrong Case—" Before he could finish his question, she pulled him outside again. And Paul reluctantly followed.

Once again they were outside the cave—except that what lay before them was something they didn't expect at all. Instead of the ancient civilization they were examining earlier, what lay before them was a forest, ridden with snow.

Words didn't come out of Brandon's mouth. This was where they have actually been yesterday. He eyes didn't allow him to accept that, but it was the truth. He turned around. It wasn't an entrance with two stone pillars but a simple cave entrance.

"What does the Pokégear say?" He asked her.

"That is the weird part." She showed her Pokégear to him which said:

Kinda weird isn't it? Well I love to screw with Paul and it adds up to something important in the main plot too. (Why don't you try guessing?) The idea of this crazy cave came to me while playing Pokemon Snakewood, where the same entrance led to two different places every time I tried entering inside. There is a reason of some kind for everything, the reason for this will also be explained shortly.

Minor Trivia: I am not going to make a regular extra section. But when I do have a fact to explain in my brain and I don't want to write it in the story, I'll introduce them in this section.

1) Darkrai's Dark Void can put any creature to sleep for about six hours.

2) N has a higher IQ than normal humans, and has an eidetic memory.

Years
  • Seen Jan 27, 2018
First of all, my sincerest apologies for not updating since 2nd September. I must say exams are such a *****! This episode marks a new turn in the story. Thanks to the long gap, I could figure out in which direction I would take the story. Trust me, you will have a lot surprises waiting for you and this chapter is just a beginning.

The Mole Within

Press Conference, Castelia

"As of today, Plasma is declared as a 'Terrorist Group'." Flashes of light flickered over the old man's bald head. The wrinkles on his face were growing in number as the cameras flashed at him, in a feeble attempt to shield his eyes. He was dressed in a formal Tan colored suit, a symbol that he was the member of the prestigious Unova Police Force, and the badges on his chest would echo the fact that he was the chief commissioner of the entire Unova force. "We request our citizens to cut any bonds with the organization and its members. Anyone connected to Team Plasma, no matter how long or feeble the link is, shall be apprehended on the spot for questioning. We also request you to be vigilant. If there is any suspicious person or activity going on, inform the police immediately."

The chief maintained a calm expression throughout the conference. He answered many of the doubts raised by the journalists and reflected back their criticisms with the grace of an expert swordsman. Handling media was something he did every day, but something of this impact would definitely shake up the entire region. The crossfire between two mafia organizations wasn't something people see in the news every day, and the media would definitely pry him for any information. Every word he said would be analyzed and broadcasted for hours and then repeated for a week until something else happens.

"Sir," a rather pale and thin looking man in glasses lifted his pen. He resembled a thin stick that could be swayed by the wind anytime. "We have heard that the League has dispatched two of the Elite Four to handle the situation. Is this situation a repeat of Hoenn's legendary apocalypse?"

The journalists whose eyes continuously studied the Commissioner did not miss a quick change in the expression on his face before returning to normal. He said, "The League is an Autonomous organization like the military and has its own commanding force. I am afraid we have no right to speak about their plans. Thank you."

Ghetsis

"That Giovanni," Ghetsis muttered, his hand pressed to his cheek, resting on the sofa. "He got us didn't he?" His disinterested gray eyes shifted to the old sage beside him called Giallo.

"Yes, my Lord," the sage replied. His eyebrows thickened, "You seem to be awfully calm for the kind of situation we are in."

Ghetsis smirked, realizing what the sage inherently meant, "I am not giving up because some damn Venipede stung me. It's just that there is nothing else to do. We have made all our countermeasures already. All we have to do is just wait for the results."

"Indeed, nothing is gained by crying on yesterday's losses," he nodded. "This is actually better than seeing you in anger."

Ghetsis sighed, crossing his leg over the other, "Even now I am pretty mad, Giallo. I haven't felt this rage since that day. But for the sake of the world," he closed his eyes, "I shall not make any unnecessary bloodshed in my rage. Not this time."

"You have grown wiser, Ghetsis. You must thank Giovanni for that," the sage smiled, "Well it's not like the police shall harm us in any fashion, they are nothing but a minor hindrance. All we have to do is send the new recruits out and sacrifice the ones who know a lot."

"The police have never been an issue, and they will never be." Ghetsis said, "But…" he paused, as if uttering the name itself was hard for him.

"The League," Giallo finished. "I still don't know how they learnt about our plans, but it seems that they might have learnt about our mission for Zekrom. Do you think Giovanni would have dared to—?"

"No," the Plasma boss interrupted. "The League is troublesome for him as well. It must be those Interpol scum." He gritted his teeth, "Even that damn Watcher is in Unova."

"I thought his name was Spectator, or was it Viewer?" The sage scratched his head, old age seemed to catch him up slowly, albeit a few hundred years late.

Things were going to be different from now, Ghetsis figured. But if the league were to be involved, even Giovanni would be in trouble. It won't be easy for either of them.

'Even if all my plans were to fail, Giovanni, I will make you suffer even if it's the last thing I can do.'

Team Rocket

The Team Rocket's headquarters stood in midst of one of the wildest habitat in Western Unova. The base was constructed inside a huge mountain. The cave holes all over the mountains that once were home to many wild Pokémon became the entrances to the enormous structure built inside the mountain. The base, coated dull grey became one with the mountain rock, and was unnoticeable unless watched from a close range. The base's top which acted as a helipad protruded out from the top and was hidden behind the enormous peak, like a timid Furret that struck its head out through a burrow. It was surrounded on the three sides by lush greenery, which were habitat to many Pokémon rarely found in Unova. The beautiful part of course was the broad waterfall that flowed down into the thick stream of river that danced towards the Western Unova Sea.

The blue lake at the bottom of the waterfall along with the surrounding brown hills and lush green growth was a wonderful mixture, worth of a cash-milking tourist spot and a hotspot for nature-lovers alike. But for now it simply stood as beautiful scenery for the Rockets to watch. Even the ever-violent criminal organization did not dare to disturb the pleasant atmosphere as none of them could miss watching the beautiful rainbow that stood over the waterfall like an arch welcoming the mighty river.

Inside the Rocket's base, the huge number of grunts of all classes, their numerous admins and the executives were all assembled, waiting eagerly for the man who was about to address them. They were all aware of the good news that they triumphed over Plasma at the second-most probable search location for Zekrom, the Resort Desert, although it was for naught as they couldn't find the Dark Stone. But the taste of victory that eluded them so far pumped fresh blood into their veins and rejuvenated their spirits.

Back on the first level, from inside the dark room that led to the elevated podium, Giovanni could feel the intense positive energy flowing inside the base. It was a new feeling, but it was a good one nonetheless.

'I should be thanking him though.' He eyes fell to his son, who sent him a victorious smirk, now happy that his father might finally acknowledge him.

Giovanni turned to the subordinates behind him. He gave the trio Jessie, James and Meowth an approving smile. If the 'backup' plan he made back then were to succeed he needed someone whom he really trusted. These three were the only ones he could entrust the job to, and they did well. He then looked at Dr. Zager, and the two female executives standing beside him, Laura and Domino.

"This is really a wonderful moment for Team Rocket. We shall make it more wonderful by removing the mole in our organization today." He smirked at Domino.

Domino's face turned pale all of a sudden. What the heck was he talking about? Did he spot her while she was talking to Ash's friend? Her eyes widened in realization. It could have been the boy; he must have sent a Pokémon after her.

Sarah, Giovanni's P.A came into the dark room from outside, "It's about time, Boss," she said, with a nervous smile.

"I am talking about the spy, Domino." Giovanni smiled and slowly walked out into the podium. A large noise of the cheering grunts echoed the halls immediately upon his entry. The Dark Prince, the trio of Executives and Dr. Zager followed Giovanni, fading into the bright light.

Domino stood like a log. Her body turned feverishly cold, and began to sweat suddenly. This was what she has feared the entire time, and to think she was careless in the last-minute. All the fame and glory she wished to get, the extremely high bounty on Giovanni, her dreams to buy a resort in Sinnoh, everything was going to end.

"It seems the boss ratted you out, Interpol agent." A voice whispered into her ears. Domino jumped at once, finding a rather devilishly smiling Laura standing beside her.

'How the heck did she?' Domino slowly took a step back towards the wall, trying to look for an escape route. Except for the guards at the gate, all the grunts were in the assembly, which could give her a good chance to escape.

"Of course you wouldn't dare to escape," Laura smirked taking an offensive stance. "After all, I gathered this intel with a lot of outside help. I think the boss has already seen the reports I gave to Sarah. Good bye Domino."

Fighting her wasn't a good choice here, Domino thought. She knew Laura was good, even if she were to fight her off somehow, Giovanni will send some Pokémon after her. All she can do now is bluff her way out of this.

'I can't just hopelessly die like this.' She gritted her teeth. Laura only spread her lips in response.

Cilan

"Excellent work, Brock," the person on the other side of the videophone said. "The League has already begun its movements. We shall stop both these villainous organizations with all our strength."

The man on the other side was dark-skinned, well-built and had a feisty orange hair. His booming voice was matched both by his personality and physique.

"I was just relaying the information, Mr. Marshal," Brock said, slightly embarrassed. "The real credit goes to the agent who tipped me."

"Alright!" He banged his fists together. "Iris and Cilan, as Unova Gym Leaders I expect you to be strong on this matter. We shall save your friends Ash and Misty, no matter what!"

"Of course, I wouldn't just sit and watch," Iris said enthusiastically, "I will try my best to find Ash too, and then I'll prove why Drayden chose me as a Gym Leader."

"That' the spirit, Iris!" Marshal roared. "Rely on your strength and strength alone, and then you shall achieve your goal no matter how hard it is!"

"Can you be a little quiet?" A blonde woman appeared behind Marshal. Her hair floated unnaturally as if they had lives of their own. She yawned, lazily resting her eyes on the screen, as if it were a difficult task. "Oh, it's you guys," she spoke sparingly and then lazily yawned once again before the screen turned blank.

"Was that Caitlin of the Elite Four?" Brock asked, his face was rather flustered. Cilan nodded in response.

"She's too lazy to even give a proper greeting to us?" Iris wondered.

"I heard that she sleeps for eighteen hours a day," Cilan said, "And she wakes up only to eat and attend some important meetings."

"Really?" Iris asked, "Then how come does she manage to be so thin?" Cilan could only shrug in response.

He noticed Brock lowering his head and was clenching his fist as if he were holding himself back from something.

"Is something wrong, Brock?" He asked.

Brock lifted his head, and nodded, "I guess blonde woman with long hair are my type after all," he said with clenched fists. The Unova leaders could only sigh in response.

"Well," Cilan said diverting the subject, "Now that we have contacted the League and got rid of the police, our progress will be a lot better. Whatever this is, Ash seems to be struck inside this, and we have to save him."

"And they got Misty too," Iris added. "We can't let things go on like this, let's save them both, what do you say Brock?"

'Save Ash, huh.' Brock pondered, it would take a lot more than just defeat Team Rocket. The fact that Ash was the Rocket Boss Giovanni's son was something he didn't choose to reveal to the League or his friends. 'Kidnapping Misty, what the heck are you doing, Ash?'

"Brock?" Iris called the unresponsive Kanto doctor once again.

Brock realized that he was spacing out and shook his head to get back to his senses, "I am sorry," he said. "We'll save both of them. No matter who is in our way, we'll bring Ash and Misty back."

"That's the spirit," Iris pumped her fists. She exchanged a glance with Cilan, only to find the connoisseur's eyes fixated on Brock. She ignored his suspicious look and said, "Cilan, I am really hungry. We need to get super strong if we should save them."

Cilan smiled, "Alright then, I guess it's lunch time!"

Giovanni

"If it weren't for my brave and loyal executive, Meowth we couldn't have attained this valuable victory over Plasma."

The Rocket assembly buzzed with claps and whistles from enthusiastic grunts. Meowth's face turned a bright red, like a shy young woman who finally met the man of her dreams. He finally received what he always wanted, not the claps of his subordinates, nor the words of praise. What he really wanted was a place beside Giovanni. He exchanged a glance with Persian, the feline Pokémon smiled back giving a look that it has finally acknowledged him as a rival.

'This is just the beginning.' He always said to himself and now wasn't an exception.

"And now, the last part of the meeting," Giovanni momentarily glanced at Sarah, who nodded meekly. She proceeded towards the Dark Prince and whispered something in his ears. The boy's eyes widened in surprise for a second, and then whispered something back to her. The conversation between them ended very swiftly.

"Today, I shall reveal the rogue who has spied on our backs and is also responsible for our humiliating defeats in the past."

The buzz among the grunts settled down at once, as if they were suddenly muted by a remote in Giovanni's hands. A few murmurs were heard, but they were immediately shushed.

Giovanni waited a second for his words to sink in, and it was definitely necessary considering the reaction they were giving.

He resumed, "Today, I shall demonstrate to all those who are spying on us from the inside for the police or the Plasma."

He waited once again before continuing, "This person was one of the top executives that I have trusted. The contributions they made for Rocket was invaluable, but the fact is they have done all this for themselves, to get my head and climb to the echelons of their own organization."

Domino's heart started thumping like an engine, pounding her chest as if it wanted out of this. Her nails were deeply dug into her palms, and her lower lip was furiously being grinded by her teeth. She has only one way out of this, pin the blame on her to someone else. Someone like Laura— no that would be impossible. Laura was too cunning for her own good. Then whom else can she trap? Jessie, James and Meowth have done an amazing job in the recent mission; she will lose her credibility after all the praise Giovanni poured on them just now. In the end she could come up with only one answer.

Sarah.

She was the perfect scapegoat; she was in Team Rocket thanks to Domino after all. She could tell that Sarah framed her and threatened her somehow. Making up stories on the spot was also one of Domino's specialties.

Giovanni turned back and nodded to the Dark Prince, "Bring her!"

The Dark Prince extracted a Pokeball from his belt, and expanded it. A flash of light shot out in the direction where the two women stood.

The creature that emerged out in the darkness lifted its head to check its target for a second with its intimidating red eyes. The creature slithered through the darkness, shooting towards its target with the agility similar to a lightning.

Laura was happier than ever. Domino was perhaps one of the smartest people in the entire team who could pose a danger to her, and to think that she was an Interpol spy! Everything went better than what she planned for, not only did she lift Giovanni's suspicion off herself, she even managed to make him suspect Domino, and now she can easily break Team Rocket from within and—

Laura's express train of delightful thoughts stopped at once. Unknown to her, something very fast crept towards her and now was tightly wrapped around her. She was trapped!

"What in the world!"

Those weren't her words; she lifted her head to see Domino cover her mouth with her hands as if they would utter something she didn't want to, in the shock. At that moment, Laura felt that the surprised expression on Domino's face was far greater than her own, it was then she started to figure what was happening and the words came out of her mouth.

"What in the world!"

She jolted her head backwards, pushing the green serpent like Pokémon wrapped around her tightly, with as much strength as she could muster.

She watched Giovanni, who was facing the crowd of grunts. "The traitor, who was plotting on us behind our backs, in an attempt to stop me and all of you, The Team Rocket—" The anger on his face started to surface slowly, creeping on to his nerves, then to his eyes and came out through his words, raising the tension among the Rocket grunts. "Is you—" The glaring Rocket Boss turned back pointed his finger at her. "Laura!"

Cilan

Cilan said, "Your recipes are awesome as always."

He watched the buzzing Nimbasa crowd from the first floor in the balcony of the League guest house that stood in midst of the city. The crowd gathered around a certain street performer who was using an Eelektross which balanced itself on a giant ball while juggling three smaller ones with its Thunder Wave. It was indeed a place for many new talents to rise up, he thought. He supported his body with his arms resting on the steel railings.

After the incident in Nimbasa, he and Iris met up with Brock. After hearing each other's stories they decided to approach the League, after getting rid of the officer Jenny who spent more time on drinking than solving the case. They shifted their residence from Castelia to the League residence in Nimbasa.

Brock stood beside him, but the Kanto doctor seemed to be preoccupied thinking about something. His eyes were to the distant clouds, but Cilan knew his mind was somewhere farther away.

He must be pretty shaken up. First Ash, now Misty. Misty was closer to Brock than he was to him and Iris. This was precisely why he should be more worried about them, but Cilan sensed the lack of fire in Brock. His words that he would save Ash and Misty was genuine and poetic, but it lacked one important recipe— confidence.

He spoke up, "Brock," catching the older trainer's attention. "If there is anything else you might want to say, now might be a good time." Because Iris wasn't around, she was with Delia explaining the rather complex situation to her.

Brock remained silent for a second and smiled, "Nothing escapes your eyes, do they?"

Cilan smiled back, "Unfortunately, being a connoisseur I am very keen at observing things, I guess?" He broke a wry smile, "It's like a special power like in those fantasy movies, except mine aren't strong to save the world or something."

"Saving the world, huh?" Brock asked. "If you could make the world a better place, just with words alone, then you are saving the world from something."

'Making a better world with just words alone?' He wondered. "Nobody ever looked at my Connoisseur skills that way," he rubbed his nose, "It makes me feel like a messiah of some kind." He laughed for some reason, Brock couldn't fathom. 'And here I thought, I could be a super villain.'

"I think you are strong enough to take this," Brock said, drooping his shoulders. He then took a deep breath, "The boy whom you saw that day—"

Cilan's muscles tensed at once, his hands were now firmly gripped around the railing.

"He was Ash," Cilan sensed Brock gritting his teeth before he continued again. "He is Giovanni's son, the guy they call the leader of Team Rocket."

Cilan closed his eyes for a second and let out his breath slowly, "So it was him, after all?" His face turned dim, as if a fuse inside him was plunged out. "And I thought I was being paranoid."

"What do you mean?" Brock asked.

"It was just a hunch. The way he talked that day, and the way you reacted when I told about some boy kidnapping Misty. I was a bit suspicious. But I never expected him to be Giovanni's son."

"Did Iris sense it too?" Brock asked, he sounded worried.

He said, "I am not sure. But even if she suspects him, she might not easily accept it. I think we are safe as long as we don't tell her."

The two trainers then came to an understanding after a long discussion. They would resolve this within themselves and Ash. Neither Iris nor the League would know anything about it.

"We'll save Ash," Brock said, "From himself."

"It's a promise," Cilan said. "We make as men for a fellow-man."

Iris

"That's really bad," the man called Norman frowned. "I don't know how Max will take this." He exchanged a glance with his wife who was outside the visual phone's camera range. The couple who were also May and Max's parents knew of the impact Ash's kidnap had on the boy.

"Mrs. Ketchum," Caroline said, appearing on the screen. "It's in times like these we need to be strong…or so I would like to say but I don't know if I can handle a situation like yours."

Mrs. Ketchum nodded, acknowledging her feelings, "I am strong because I am confident Ash will be safe. I believe in my son," She placed her palm in Iris's. "And his friends."

May

It has been about a day since the group arrived at Petalburg. Caroline and Norman handled Winry's situation surprisingly well. After a deep discussion with Max and Dawn, May decided that Winry should enter the Hoenn league, and was now on her way to say the same to Norman and ask him to show a way to get her all the badges within a short time.

"Dad?" She found him with her mother in the living room, talking seriously about something by the telephone.

"May, what's it?" Norman asked, he noticed that his daughter was in high spirits, which means she was planning something. He exchanged a glance with Caroline who gave him an understanding nod.

"I was wondering," she put her hands behind her back, giving a foxy smile, "If we could somehow get Winry into the League. You are a gym leader after all."

"Oh," he scratched his cheek, "Honey that might be well, um, impossible."

"Why?" She asked.

"Well first of all," he said. "She doesn't have enough Pokémon; second of all I don't know how capable she is."

"I thought you would say that!" May winked, "Then why don't you fight her Pikachu and find out how strong she is."

He sighed, "Now May, even if I did find out that she is worthy enough to enter the League, catching five other Pokémon strong enough for the League in such a short time is impossible."

May grinned, "Come on dad! Do you really think I didn't think about that?"

Norman remained silent as a green signal to let her continue. "I and Dawn will lend our Pokémon to her; she could enter the League with them, is that alright?"

"Hmm," Norman fell into deep thought. His daughter has indeed put him in a deep fix. But could a girl, who was recovering from such a predicament, handle the pressure of handling five traded Pokémon?

"Please, dad?" She joined her palms in a formal requesting pose, "Just battle her once, will you?"

"May, you are really worried about that girl, aren't you?" Caroline smiled. She felt proud to have such a daughter, who cared for the people around her. "I think you can do that much Norman, give her a chance. You need not think that deeply about such a small thing."

"No," Norman said, "It isn't about that. I was just wondering if Ash's mom and that girl looked similar."

"Similar?" The two asked at once.

He said, "I mean if you observe them closely—"

Caroline then gave him a stern look, "Since when are you looking at other women 'so closely'."

The Hoenn gym leader panicked, "I didn't mean it that way Caroline." He turned to May and changed the subject immediately, "Talking about Ash's mom, May, I think we have some bad news for you."

"Bad news?" May frowned. Wasn't Ash's kidnapping bad enough? What now?

Norman said, "It seems that Team Rocket kidnapped Misty too,"

The few words which carried the news crashed on the Hoenn coordinator like a thunder, impaling her with shock that crept all over her. Her whole body seemed to be trembling, she unconsciously searched for the couch nearby and sat down, tears that she didn't call out, came out of their own. At that point when her brain went blank over everything else, May could only think about one thing: "I shouldn't tell this to Max."

Domino

Life can be roller-coaster. There are ups and downs, but what Domino was experiencing, was one of the steepest slopes in her entire life, which was saying something.

A second ago, she walked along the edges of the bridge above a sea called death. And now…she couldn't figure out anything to compare what her situation was, because her mind was mostly numb and the rest was blank.

"What do you mean, Giovanni?" Laura screamed like an hysteric woman. She walked towards Giovanni with her unbound feet. "I am the one who wrote that—"

It was an involuntary movement on her part, but Domino jumped at the unguarded woman and struck her on her temple. If she had been a second late, Laura would have spoken about the report about her, which she had given to Sarah.

The pink haired woman collapsed to her right, like a lifeless doll. The serpent coiled around her slowly uncoiled itself and slithered its way back to its trainer, who watched the scene in surprise.

Speaking of the report, if she did give the report to Sarah then why didn't Giovanni speak about it first? After all, a person from Interpol was far more dangerous than any Plasma member.

She cautiously exchanged a glance with Sarah; the woman bent her head and nodded slightly.

Sarah? She might have her own reasons, but it seems like Sarah still wants her alive. Thank you very much Sarah, she thanked her inside her heart.

"You should have waited a bit," Giovanni walked towards the unconscious Laura, "She was saying something. I wanted to get some Plasma intel from her."

'A Plasma spy? How in the world did Giovanni figure that out? Did Sarah make up a story? No, Giovanni isn't the type to believe so easily, then how?'

"In case you are wondering how I figured it out," he smiled. This was quite a surprise to her. This was one of the rarest moments, because Giovanni almost never smiled at her. "The plan I made with the rest of the executives was simply a decoy plan. Meowth's team wasn't a backup. It was the main team instead."

He lent a hand to Domino, to lift her from the stance she took after striking Laura.

"Of course, I wouldn't say that to these underlings, they might lose faith in me if I say the truth," he whispered in her ears, "Consider it a secret between Meowth, me and my son."

Her voice shook, "T-Then, why you are telling me?"

"Because, I trust you, Domino," Giovanni's hand was still wrapped around hers. "I am sorry for suspecting you till now."

'S-Sorry? What's going on? Is this some kind of game plan? Did Sarah tell him that I am a member of Interpol? Is he planning something else to nail me?'

"Now, don't be so surprised, Domino," he said. "Because you will be the leader of the infiltrating group for our next mission."

Giovanni lifted the unconscious Laura and proceeded towards the podium, dragging her along with him.

"This woman," he roared at the crowd, "Was responsible for the countless nights we have all spent without sleep, and deprived us of our comrades."

"This woman is a spy of the Plasma and today she shall face the same wrath countless number of other spies faced in my hands. You all know what awaits people like her."

The crowd went wild at once and screamed the name, "THE KROOKODILE SWAMP!"

"That's right," Giovanni said, "The Krookodile swamp!"

The uproar went on for a while, until Giovanni waved his hand to set it down at once.

Domino sensed that this was her best opportunity, she stepped forward crossing Prof. Zager, the Dark Prince and stood behind Giovanni.

"Giovanni," she gathered his attention. "I request that you give me the chance to handle her myself. I will take her to the Krookodile swamp."

Giovanni said in his usual and firm tone, "We shall wait till she gains consciousness and gather intel."

"Sir," Domino urged, "She is a Plasma member, who knows what kind of grave disaster she must be hiding to destroy us. I suggest, we should kill her as soon as possible."

'Or else, I will be the next to die,' she didn't say aloud.

Normally Giovanni would have seen through her intentions, but today he was in a good mood, and he seemed to trust her a lot more than he ever did before. "Very well," Giovanni agreed, "You deserve to kill her, as you were my prime suspect."

At that point Domino didn't knew, that Giovanni had already planned something which she had never ever expected in her life and could rip her apart in two.

The Dark Prince

Hours after the speech given by Giovanni, the Rocket Leader and his son were walking through the corridor connected to a special set of stairs to the sixth floor, a floor open only to Giovanni and his executives.

"You lied," the boy said, "When you told them that you had Meowth as a backup."

"What do you think would have happened if I had said the truth?" Giovanni asked.

What could have happened? He wondered. Then the grunts would learn that they were all put under a test by the boss and they have passed it. They can proudly declare that they were loyal members of Team Rocket. "They would feel honored, that they have passed a test given by the boss himself."

Giovanni chortled, although the Prince couldn't figure out why. "That isn't how the world works, son."

Then how does it? If they are loyal members of Team Rocket then—

"Remember that I am not a King, I am the boss of a criminal organization." Giovanni said, "Things here run based on the balance between two factors: Risk and Reward. Our grunts put their lives on line because we promise them a fat amount of money. In the end, if they realize that I put their lives in danger for nothing, they would overturn and destroy the team. This is why I lied."

The Prince stopped in his tracks at once. 'Is that it?' he thought. All the time, he viewed his father as a ruler, and he commended his amazing tact in outwitting the Plasma. In that moment alone, Giovanni grew from a father into an idol in his eyes. And now? He says that his own grunts would kill him if he didn't lie and that these grunts work for his money? What kind of king is that? What can anyone accomplish with a rule like that?

"Isn't your aim, world domination?" He asked believing that something would lie behind the answer to his question. His voice began to rise, "Are you going to rule an entire world with just lies?"

Giovanni looked at the growing frustration in his son's eyes; he said aloud, "Lies are what build this world! Truth is just a mirage!"

The intensity of his father's word flinched the boy and his beliefs. Giovanni calmed down and held his son closely, "You are just a boy, the world is a harsher place, As—Dark Prince."

They continued to walk but the Dark Prince remained immersed in his world of thoughts. How can it be? His mother said that a lie would only lead to another and goes on and goes on till the person convinces himself that the lie is real. A world like that, even if it was reality would be worse than a mirage like truth. It was perhaps because of these lies that his father came to a stage where he had to lie to calm his grunts from overturning on him. So his father was that kind of man. But he wouldn't be the same like his father, because he would treasure 'Truth' more than anything else. But before that he needs to reach his 'Ideal'.

'I am coming for you Zekrom.'

"We are here," Giovanni stood by a three gated door. He pressed a button, after a few beeps the three doors, moved apart giving way for the duo to enter in.

Giovanni took a gulp before entering in. Are Darkrai's powers really so powerful? The Dark Prince thought. Well the answer to his question was only few steps away.

The father and son walked few steps into what seemed to be a laboratory. It was filled with wires connected to devices of various shapes. The one that caught his attention was a device that recorded some kind of graph.

"Welcome," a thick cloud of black fog appeared before them. It shaped into a humanoid structure before a white-haired head popped above the red scarf-lining. Eerie blue eyes formed once the black curtains around it rose.

"So you are having fun fiddling with her?" Giovanni asked, sarcastically.

"Now, you call a wonderful attack like that, fiddling?" Darkrai seemed disappointed, in the Prince's eyes at least.

"What are you doing with Misty?" The boy asked.

"Hmm, you could say I am awakening the darkness inside her if you are me, you could call it fiddling if you are Giovanni. The truth varies, it is an unstable thing."

The boy scratched his head; things were getting too confusing for him. Does Darkrai speak like this all the time? He didn't notice it the last time because he was too involved in finding out what he was.

"It seems I confused you. But I would say that man over there is definitely fiddling."

Darkrai showed towards a moving object beneath the wires. The Dark Prince couldn't have noticed it under the bright light if Darkrai hadn't pointed him out. The moving object stood up to be what was actually a human, Prof. Zager to be precise.

"That man is perhaps the only one who doesn't work for money," Giovanni said.

"He is an interesting man. His loyalty comes from the fact you are allowing him to research whatever he wants."

"Well, he turned out to be a good asset to the team. He is perhaps one of the few loyal members of Team Rocket."

"People like him are easier to manipulate than those who work for money. You don't understand human nature well enough, Giovanni."

At this point the man who was being discussed noticed the discussers and greeted them, "Hello there, Giovanni and um, the Shadow Prince."

"He pisses me off sometimes. He doesn't know the difference between Darkness and Shadow."

"I can see where you come from," Giovanni nodded. "It took him two years to remember the team's name."

Prof. Zager walked towards them, stumbling on a few cables in the process. When he finally reached them, he said, "The Dream World is an amazing power. It is certainly beyond what we can imagine. I think even a hundred years won't be enough to research on this project. I wish you would have met me when I was younger, legendary shadow Pokémon."

"You could call me Darkrai, it is easier to remember."

"Hmm," the Professor thought for a while, "But it lacks the same dramatic quality. There is a reason why people are given titles."

"Then at least remember it properly." He was beginning to lose patience.

"If the two of you don't mind," Giovanni was losing patience too. "Darkrai did you use Rezeholu on her like you used on a certain someone?" The boy noticed his father twitching his eyebrow for some reason.

"Rezeholu is not necessary when there is a definite vile inside her heart. Most people don't need it. That certain someone person was the only exception. I induced her in a dark void and sent her into bad dreams. She will open the lock to her darkness when she manages to break the lock."

"The true Dark Void, huh?" Giovanni sighed. The Dark Prince noticed that his father wasn't very happy with him bringing Misty. He muttered something about losing leverage on Darkrai or something but he didn't understand any of that back then like the same way he couldn't make out what they were speaking now.

"I don't get a word, what are you guys talking about?" He asked.

"I shall explain everything when the time comes, Prince."

At that point he didn't know that his father was muttering: "That time will never come."

"I shall show the girl to you," Zager proceeded towards the large equipment which was connected to the multiple devices including the one that showed the weird graphs. He pressed a button right below a panel of buttons. A large grey shutter moved revealing a large tank of water. The boy gasped when he saw what was inside it.

The girl called Misty was inside the water, unconscious. The lower part of her face connected to a mask linked to a large tube. Multiple cables were connected to various parts of her body which were sent in from outside the tank. What surprised him of course were the dark streaks of electricity that seemed to flood out of her body into the cables connected to her.

"W-What in the world is that?" He asked, pointing at the cable. "That looks like thunderbolt."

"What are you talking about?" Giovanni asked. He looked at the cables once again, and then stared at him blankly.

Zager exclaimed, "He can see the energy flux without the Radiation-Receiver goggles?!"

"It's the least you could expect from someone who is under the influence of Zekrom."

"Zekrom?" Zager was confused. "We captured it already?"

"No."

The Professor asked, "Then what do you mean by he's influenced by Zekrom?"

"I have meant to ask about it, Darkrai," Giovanni said. "I think you owe me an explanation about my son's powers."

"Me too," the boy said. "I don't understand anything about what you guys have talked earlier."

"Hmm, you humans think you are smart and yet you always need someone to explain something." Darkrai closed its eyes, and slowly faded into the floor. He then rose up and appeared beside the apparatus that contained Misty. "It is more comfortable here. I hate light." It was then the boy noticed that he was sitting under the shadow of the large apparatus.

"Doubts do not have a definite ending. Each explanation leads to new doubts and new doubts leads to new explanations, it is a painful cycle, and I know a lot unfortunately."

Giovanni put an annoyed expression, "Stop your stupid philosophy and start somewhere."

"Fine let's start with the Zekrom, Reshiram and the 'Hero System'."

1) Domino survived only because of sheer luck. If Laura had handed the report to Giovanni directly, she would have ended up in the Krookodile swamp. Unfortunately for Laura, Sarah was too loyal to Domino.

2) Prof. Zager's personality is quite different from his anime version, because he is rather boring in the anime.

3) In case you don't want to get Darkrai mad, the difference between Shadow and Darkness is: Darkness is a part of a person's thoughts. Each of us have dark thoughts, the act of revenging, the act of jealousy all of them are what comprise darkness. But a shadow is just...well, a shadow.

4) Finally a question: What do you think Giovanni has in store for Domino. Throw in your guesses if you care...

Years
  • Seen Jan 27, 2018
To make up with the long gap between the earlier chapters, I decided to make this one a bit quicker. Quality may have been compromised but only by a little!

Enter Corless! The Mad Scientist

Darkrai

"Disregarding the origin of Reshiram and Zekrom, the two Pokémon were born two thousand years ago, as symbols of opposites. When two nations or two factions believing in two different ideologies or truths clash, these two come to the field as a means to test which of the two was stronger.

For modern world people like you, it might seem like an unscientific act, but Unova was destroyed and recreated many a times only because of the clash between these two. But there is also one more thing that many don't know.

You see, every legendary creature in this world is the symbolic form of a natural force, which Arceus used to create the world."

The trio Giovanni, the Prince and Zager listened to the story without as much as batting their eyelids.

Darkrai continued, "Reshiram and Zekrom both represent the manifestation of energy that was being created and run this world."

"Wait a minute," Zager interrupted the phantom Pokémon. "As far as I know energy can neither be created nor destroyed, that's what our science tells us."

"Hmm, it is indeed true, in a way. The energy that Reshiram and Zekrom generate is absorbed by a third creature. The existence of this creature is unknown, even to me. But I believe it exists and perhaps it resends this energy back to Reshiram and Zekrom, somehow.

You might want to ask why I am so positive about its existence. I shall explain you about that too.

Originally the creature that absorbed and created energy was one. Two thousand years ago, I was responsible to split the creature into two—no, three parts."

The trio held their breath for a moment. The phantom Pokémon continued, "The sword of Rezeholu was known to split any creature into two. It split the great phoenix into two counterparts, the scorching sun, Ho-oh and the serene Moon, Lugia.

I expected it to work the same way for the great Dragon but— I was surprised. I never knew that there were two kinds of energy in this world."

"Two kinds of energy?" Giovanni asked.

"Ah, he must be talking about the positive and negative energies." Zager remarked, "Like in a battery, we have a positive terminal and a negative terminal."

The Prince said, "Wait, I thought the creature that created energy is positive and the one absorbing it is negative."

"A common misconception," Zager noted. "If there is no positive or no negative then there is no energy in the first place. They simply cannot exist without each other."

"Ah, how I wish I could smack you, Zager. Even I couldn't comprehend the great dragon's existence two thousand years ago. Reshiram and Zekrom created a great shift in the world's energy balance every time they battle. The person who sides with these Pokémon are generally considered to be the hero of that particular faction. But you see the Pokémon are very picky when it comes to choosing partners. They generally consider a couple of eligible people and test them by lending their power.

Which is precisely why our Prince here has some, um, well strange powers."

"Wait a minute," Giovanni said. "What exactly did you do to catch Zekrom's attention on my son?"

"Ah, that. I just created someone with a singular ideal and would go to any lengths to obtain it."

If one were to take a closer look at Giovanni they would notice that he was gritting hard enough to crush his teeth in the process.

"It was initially you, Giovanni. But you changed in a bad way."

"Why him? You could have used anyone, right?" Giovanni asked. You could have used me and save me from the agony, he wanted to say.

"True, but an innocent vessel would be a better host than an adult's. But you are right; I could have chosen any child. But I found it amusing to use yours."

"Amusing?" Giovanni grumbled. "I will show you what's amusing."

The Dark Prince, in contrast felt happy. If Darkrai hadn't chosen him he couldn't have obtained this amazing opportunity. All these powers, the way he dominated over his former friends back in Nimbasa, none of them would have been possible if not for Darkrai.

But wait! What about the guy he met that day. He was talking about Zekrom's powers too. Does that mean he was chosen by Zekrom?

Giovanni asked him, "Something troubling you?"

"N-Nothing," he replied. If he was a fellow chosen being of Zekrom, then he will deal him by himself. If he was chosen by Zekrom then he must be something special. If he were to tell this to his father, he would try some means to secretly kill the boy. That would be boring, wouldn't it?

The Prince didn't knew that the other person was thinking exactly the same, at that moment

Paul

"So what are we going to do?" Casey asked Brandon, her hopes rising up. The trio Paul, Casey and Brandon were seated by the entrance to the mysterious cave where they have been a while ago. It was a strange place that one could rarely stumble upon and wasting a chance to explore it was sheer stupidity in her opinion.

Brandon examined Paul. The Sinnoh trainer supported himself on his right foot resting on a boulder. His eyes were to the snowy ground. He wasn't being absent-minded, but was just keeping his mind preoccupied, counting the number of shrubs that were still visible under the snow.

The Frontier Brain knew, if it were only himself he wouldn't have held back to research the other area. But Casey and Paul were with him. Casey was absolutely reckless and Paul might not even be interested in exploring. Saying a no would be better, he thought. He shifted his attention to the snowy bed.

"Let's go."

Let's go? Brandon looked at Casey, who equally surprised pointed at Paul. The Sinnoh trainer repeated, "Let's go and see what that weird place is about."

"Paul?" Did he hurt his head somewhere? Brandon didn't deny the possibility outright.

"Stop looking at me like that," he stood up and dusted his pants. "Something's wrong here and we need to check what it is."

"Alright!" Casey jumped, unable to contain the excitement because this might be her best adventure of all.

"Both of you wait!" Brandon barked. "This isn't a child's game, something is really wrong here. We'll contact the meteorology department and leave once they come here."

"But my phone doesn't have any signal," Casey pointed out. The signal was only enough to pin point their location.

"I don't think we'll be able to find this place again, even if we want to," Paul added.

It was true, Brandon had to agree. But still, it seemed too risky, and he can't face Casey's family or Reggie if anything were to happen to them.

"We are Pokémon trainers," Paul smirked, "Nothing's going to happen to us."

Natural Harmonia

Her soft hands were gently wrapped around him; her laps were the comfortable pillows that he needed. To N, the beautiful woman who reminded you of a tender sunflower was his mother, friend, sister and lover. He never knew the difference between the four as he was raised in the absence of rigid human relations. He only knew that she was the one he could approach whenever his heart was in pain.

Concordia has been raised only to understand N and care for him. Although she was only about a year older than him, as she was exposed to the outer world, she knew of the special treatment Ghetsis gave him. Deep down she knew Ghetsis was wrongly biasing N's feelings towards Pokémon, but she never complained. Because she loved N, and she wanted him to be with her. Was it sibling love or was it something else was the question she never answered for herself.

The other woman called Anthea sat beside Concordia, on the large bed that the three shared in N's room. From their childhood, Anthea knew her role: To be with N in every stage starting from an innocent boy to the day he grew up into a man and ruled the world. But unlike Concordia, she wasn't in love with him, because she always considered herself a tool in Ghetsis's hands. She knew her place in N's life, and loathed Ghetsis for it. But she never dared to say otherwise, because she couldn't imagine a life outside N's palace.

N returned back after a month. He spent his time going around Unova along with Ghetsis. Every time he went on a trip like that, he changed; he grew bitter and swore vengeance against the people who mistreated Pokémon.

But this time he was different, he didn't cry in Concordia's arms nor did he talk anything about his adventures. He simply came into the room and fell asleep. But Anthea could say that his eyes carried a deep resolution.

'Perhaps, N is growing into a man like Ghetsis wanted. He isn't a crybaby anymore.'

Paul

The trio headed back to the place which the Pokégear indicated to be the Ruins of Alps and continued along what seemed the outlines of a road. The grand road took a long curve and headed further north.

The temperatures dropped slowly as they moved forward, and before they knew the snow fall set in again.

Brandon suggested, "We should hurry and find some shelter before it turns out into another blizzard."

Casey and Paul nodded, and increased their pace. Soon they found themselves looking at a mountain of rubble filled with broken chunks of stone and the remains of a mansion.

A thick fog set in, obstructing their view from anything further. Casey moved closer to Brandon, while Paul did the same albeit in a subtle fashion.

On closer inspection, they found another road headed east, although it wasn't as grand as the one earlier. However, the difference was only noticed by Brandon, an archeologist expert.

As they prepared to move forward Casey stumbled upon something and fell down with a thud.

"Clear the fog with your Honchkrow," Brandon said. Going further in this fog was impossible, especially with someone as clumsy as Casey. The trainer nodded, and flashed his Pokémon out into the sky. The boss Pokémon materialized with a sharp cry.

"Honchkrow use Defog," he commanded. The boss Pokémon flapped its dark wings, creating a powerful gust, strong enough to clear the fog and also blow away Casey's hat. The said trainer had to chase after it.

She finally caught up with her hat, when the fog slowly started to clear out. Casey casually raised her head and looked in the direction where the fog cleared out. What she saw then made her open her mouth wide enough to let few stray flies into it, if there were some.

"Guys," she yelled at the top of her lungs.

Brandon and Paul rushed to her, "Did something happen?" Brandon asked.

"Brandon," Paul showed him to what lay before their eyes.

Brandon gawked in surprise. Lying before them among the rubble all around were six replicas of the entrances you would see in the Ruins of Alps. They were arranged in a neat three by two order, and seemed to be unharmed.

The trio stared at the scenario blankly.

Natural Harmonia

"I am going back," N declared to the two girls, Anthea and Concordia.

"Master N, lord Ghetsis advised you to stay back this time," Anthea stood in his way between the large oak doors designed in the shape of Zekrom.

"Ghetsis and the seven sages are trying their best to acquire Zekrom before the Rockets," Concordia held his arms, "Now is not a time to throw a tantrum, master N."

"A tantrum, huh?" N said with a wry smile, "The two of you still treat me a child, don't you?" He looked straight into Anthea's eyes when he asked so.

Anthea remained silent, the exchange of stares prevailed between them. Concordia's grip on the boy loosened, because she knew N never defeated Anthea in a staring battle.

After about five minutes of silence, Anthea finally broke out, and lowered her head in defeat.

'Anthea lost?' Concordia was surprised.

The pink-haired woman who resembled a lovely rose moved out of N's way letting him through.

"I am thankful to have such understanding siblings," N smiled before heading out. "Zoroark will stay here in my stead. Make sure no one tries to talk to me, okay?"

"But master N," Concordia tried to stop the boy, but he was already gone. She asked the other woman, "Anthea what happened to you?"

"He's different," she said, "He has finally started to watch the world with his own eyes, not Ghetsis's."

Concordia remained silent. Anthea was right. All these days N watched what Ghetsis showed him. But would it be for the good? What if N finds out that the world of Pokémon was quite different from what he saw…or perhaps did he already realize that Ghetsis was purposefully showing him the negative side of the bond shared by Pokémon and humans. What should she do in case he despises Ghetsis? Should she go along with him or side with the man who adopted her from nothingness and gave her a sister and a brother?

"Master N should decide his own future," Anthea said, "We will stay by him and support him, no matter what he chooses." Unlike her, Anthea already made her decision clear.

Paul

"Does this stupidity end, somehow?" Paul was unhappy. He regretted the decision he made earlier. Of all the times in the world why did he have to play Mr. Cool Hero when they were in one of the most absurd situation? He wished he had accepted Brandon's proposal and go back home. But of course, he wanted to be more 'social' and 'helpful'.

'Look what that stupidity has brought you into,' he scolded himself.

"Paul, stop being a wimp and try to find a way out!" Brandon shouted from somewhere far away.

The three of them agreed to take the first three entrances inside. Although he tried to be cautious inside, the floor underneath slipped suddenly and he landed on some hard surface below. Judging the situation, he anticipated that he wouldn't be seeing Casey or Brandon soon until he heard Casey's yells from above.

It was then he noticed he was in a maze of interlocked stairs as if they were threads tied in a knot or a large group of Ekans that ended up entangled after trying to kill a lone Rattata. The bottom was dark, and could easily gain the nickname bottomless pit if it really needed one. In most cases the bottom of such pits would usually involve something skull breaking or bone cracking.

After some observation he noted that all the six entrances led to the complex set of stairs. While following the stairs might be an easy thing to do, some of them were twisted in gravity-defying directions, and needed him to walk upside down or in various other impossible angles.

"Use your Pokémon," Casey shouted. He noticed that she was already using her Meganium's Vine Whip to her advantage.

'Do we really have to risk that much?' He gulped after taking a look at the darkness underneath.

"It is in times like this, you should believe in your Pokémon!" Brandon shouted. He was walking on a sheet of Ice built by Regice, which was supported by Ice pillars connected to the other set of stairs.

Paul contemplated for a second, for a second, he wanted to forget everything, all the bull **** about believing in Pokémon and just head back and somehow get back to the entrance he came from. But then what was the point in training with Brandon all this time? How different was he from when he lost to Ash? It would mean that he spent one whole year doing nothing while Ash grew stronger and stronger.

The only way to prove that he improved since then was to rely on his Pokémon's abilities and do what Brandon and Casey were doing.

"He's making too much of a fuss for such a small thing," Casey remarked. "Just do something already!"

"Wait, Casey," Bandon signaled her, "All these days he used Pokémon only as tools for battles. He never actually experienced anything truly, um, adventurous."

"Eh," Casey somehow found it to be unbelievable.

"He is too focused on his goal, you see, he actually forgot why people like to travel around with Pokémon."

"But," he continued, "That kid's learning. I want you to be a role model to him," The frontier brain truly looked serious at that moment.

"Y-Yes," Casey was unsure, but it seemed fun.

Meanwhile Paul decided that a combination of Honchkrow and Drapion would be perfect for the situation. Drapion had extensible arms and tail that let it clamp to the stairs and could save him in case Honchkrow lost its balance.

Honchkrow wasn't quite strong to lift Paul for long distances, so he used it to glide small distances and then let Drapion catch him from falling down. Then after gaining a proper ground he would take Drapion back and release it in some other position.

"Now that's more like it," Brandon beamed and continued. "Paul and Casey, each set of stairs are connected to six other rooms on the other side, which means we will end up in different places, so remember to strictly follow the set you are on, alright?"

"Roger that!" Casey screamed.

"Fine," Paul muttered, he hardly saw any reason to scream now, but then realized almost everything Casey did were pointless, so it was actually a surprise if she didn't.

The trio followed their respective stairs and finally landed on the respective platforms that led to their respective doors.

Brandon guessed that the doors much like the ones they entered might have a system that prevents them to go back once they entered, and so told the other two to carefully mind their path.

"Alright, if you see anything dangerous—" Brandon was about to say something, and realized there was nothing they could actually do once they entered, "Try to make it back alive."

'That's so reassuring,' Paul regretted his decision for the second time. After some brief analysis, he came to a conclusion that the air of stupidity rampant in Unova finally got him and was responsible for the moronic judgments he was making today.

Sunlight seeped out through the door connected to the next room. Paul steadily walked towards the entrance, and with a thumping heart, and a chill in his spine. He stepped outside, expecting the worst, like a giant one-eyed monster or a devilish woman who could turn him into stone with looks alone, inside a dark cave filled with monstrous creatures which existed only to wait for him and sap the life out of him before he met the last boss— at that point he realized he played too much of Final Fantasy but decided to continue with the imagination as it was somewhat comforting—

Only to enter a large hallway, whose dazzling flooring was literally made of a combination of green, purple crystals that were neatly polished to form a smooth surface and had a silvery lining. He noticed that the walls were made of the same material, making him somewhat dizzy. The top was decorated with beautiful chandeliers that were neatly lined up one after the other all along the long hallway.

The sullen-faced trainer's mind entered into a standby mode, unable to give him any meaningful commands, or clear explanations that he normally relied on. What it managed to give was few incoherent sounds that made him more of a Chimchar than a human.

"Mind boggling isn't it?"

Paul looked around to see where the voice came from, and noticed that there was a golden throne at the other end of the hallway, and a blonde man dressed in a white lab coat was seated on it.

'Why does all the weird stuff happen to me?' Paul was definitely not happy, seeing a man dressed in a lab coat in a room that could only be a part of some brilliant palace in the midst of a place whose existence was ridiculous in the first place.

The man's face was equally brilliant, making a perfect match with his surroundings. The eyes behind his thin-framed glasses were a brilliant gold. The weird stuff was that a part of his otherwise blonde hair was sea blue colored and curled around his head like a planet's orbit. Does he mean that the world revolves around him? Or was that plainly a stupid fashion in Unova.

"Who are you?" Paul believed that it was the most logical question to ask.

"My name is Corless," he held an object of some kind in his left hand; "I am a Professor who researches the hidden strengths of a Pokémon."

"What are you doing here?" Paul asked, he didn't want to make the stranger know that he was unfamiliar with this place.

"I could ask you the same, you know," Corless answered with a smile that exposed his white teeth.

'He's smart,' Paul realized, and he liked smart people, especially in a region that had scarcity for one.

He said, "I was travelling with my friends; the snow seemed unusual for a summer day, so we were heading to Undella through the forest. I got separated and stumbled into this place."

"Ho," Corless was somewhat amused. "To stumble upon a place like this, you must be quite adventurous."

"A little bit," Paul falsely claimed the praise, "What about you?" he asked, "Are you with the meteorological department?"

Corless smiled, "You are a smart boy, it seems you like to force answers out of me. Unfortunately I can only say I work for an organization that is doing some research in this area."

'He might not be that smart after all.' Paul thought. Well it was worth a try.

"I apologize to ask help from a stranger," the blonde said, "But I was actually waiting for my comrades to help me out of this place. You see I am actually struck here, and I need another hand to get out of here."

Before Paul could come up with an answer he spoke out again, "I would like to know your name first."

"It's Paul," he said, and he felt really cool when he did so.

"Nice to meet you, Paul," Corless didn't move forward to shake his hand. He apparently didn't trust Paul either. "Once we go out, I would like to show you something."

Brandon

"How the heck is it even possible?" Casey was fuming. Despite her little stature, her fury was something even the frontier brain was wary of.

"It seems we ended up in the same place where we started," Brandon muttered. Unlike Paul, the two of them ended up coming back through the fourth and fifth entrances above the first and third entrance from which they entered. At this point they didn't question how it was geographically possible.

"So it seems the first and fourth, third and fifth entrances are interconnected," Brandon conferred. "Where's Paul?"

"He must have gotten through," Casey remarked.

The fact somehow made Brandon uncomfortable. 'Of the three of us, why him?' Even Paul was scary sometimes, especially when he tends to get unlucky.

"Should we go after him?" Casey asked.

"No, let's take the sixth entrance," Brandon replied. If Paul fell in a trap, then taking the other entrance would be wise, if they wanted to be rescuing him. If they would be the ones to fall in the trap, then maybe Paul could save them.

With such agenda in mind, Brandon took the sixth entrance along with Casey.

Paul

"There are two ways to go from here," Corless remarked. "If I were you, I would take the right."

There were two doors studded with white crystals that almost looked like diamonds. At this juncture Paul started to believe that all of it was real, and was not fake diamonds or gold. He proceeded to the right door and almost opened the door.

Corless said coolly, "But then you would end up bumping into a death trap."

Paul jerked away from the door, and glared at him, "Are you planning to kill me?"

"Sorry, I couldn't help it," he smiled, but his face didn't carry even an ounce of guilt.

'What a sadist!' Paul thought. He should ditch this man somehow once he could catch up with Brandon or Casey. Speaking of which, he wondered what happened to those two.

Paul decided to let Corless lead the way, and followed him to the left door. If the room he was in, dazzled the Sinnoh trainer, this one was definitely much more than that. Because this room was actually a banquet hall that extended as long as a giant Steelix. And to add to the amazing decoration, there was enough food that could easily feed the entirety of Veilstone in his humble opinion.

"Hmm, such an appetizing display," Corless said, as if he were enchanted. "Only a fool would miss a chance to eat this kind of food." He asked Paul, "Did you have your lunch yet?"

The answer was no. In fact he didn't even have breakfast, thanks to Brandon. The rest of the time was well spent on craziness that dominated normality.

"There is nothing wrong in eating such food, when you're really hungry," Corless smiled for the umpteenth time. For some reason, each of his smiles spelt like doom to him.

Paul proceeded towards the table. He was indeed very hungry and his stomach, now that it remembered was empty, started making noises of all kinds. It was annoying, if not embarrassing. He took an apple into his hands and proceeded to bite it when—

"I wonder why anyone would put food in the middle of nowhere," Corless said, pretending to think. "Besides nobody lived here since the past few hundred years. It could be a mirage or a trap. The fruit could be poisonous too. What do you say, Paul?"

Paul gently placed the fruit back and glanced at the Professor as if he was indifferent to what happened. But deep inside he thought, 'I swear to god, this guy will have few bones cracked before he gets out.'

Max

The Petalburg neighborhood was awakened by the sudden sparks coming from Norman's house. They all thought it was a short circuit, but then realized that it came from the gym and understood he was in a Gym Battle.

Meanwhile outside the gym, in their greenhouse Max watched the sparks coming out from the gym nervously. As per May's suggestion Winry and Norman were having a gym battle. It was Norman's policy not to let family members disturb his gym battle, although he makes exceptions once in a while.

"They are battling already?" Dawn was dressed up in her usual attire. "I wonder how she's holding up."

"I am not sure either," Max was deeply worried too. She was a determined girl but Winry still needs his help, or so Max thought.

Another set of sparks suddenly burst though the broken window before fading out again.

'Is she okay?' Max wondered.

"My, they seem to have an exciting battle," Caroline appeared, holding a spatula.

"Caroline, do you want me to help you out?" Dawn asked, somewhat eager. She wanted to occupy her mind with something instead of waiting for Winry and Norman to return.

"Oh, thanks. I really wish May helped me often," Caroline said, "That girl might still be sleeping."

And then, in a seemingly calm atmosphere yet another surge of electricity busted out of the gym followed by a loud scream, the gym's door then burst open with a loud crack. A white blur of a mass was hurled out of the gym and crashed straight into the tree nearby.

"Oh my," Caroline muttered, before the three headed towards the Pokémon that crashed out of the gym, Norman's Vigoroth.

"It's Vigoroth!" Max exclaimed.

The said Pokémon lay limp on the ground, its body engulfed in static electricity. It was in no position to get up any time soon.

Max looked at the gym's broken door, and found a certain blonde and a Pikachu peeping out of the hole, apparently scared out of their wits.

Norman opened the door and rushed towards Vigoroth, he took the Pokémon in hands to check if it was okay. He muttered something and sighed in relief. He turned to Winry and the Pikachu who were now outside, meekly looking at the Vigoroth wondering if it was okay.

"That was an awesome combination, Winry!" Norman looked excited, "Electroball and Static really go well with each other."

"Thanks but," Winry scratched her head, "It was just a coincidence."

"But still those spinning movements from your Pikachu," Norman said, "I must say your Pikachu is a lot stronger than Ash's Pikachu back when he battled me."

"Wow really?" Max was surprised. He knew she was strong but really stronger than what Ash was back then? If Ash were to hear this, he would definitely love to battle her.

"So, dad," May jumped in out of nowhere, "What did you think of my plan?"

Norman laughed, "Of course dear, she is going to take part in the Hoenn League, and I'll make sure of that."

A smile spread on Max's lips. He was happy that they were able to do something to the poor girl. Winry gave him a thankful smile, causing the eleven year old to blush. It was something, the others didn't miss.

Paul

After fifteen minutes Paul analyzed, realized and came to a conclusion that Corless was too smart for his own good, and he actually preferred hanging out with a mindless Casey.

"Just how long does it take us to get out?" Paul asked.

"If you actually stop complaining and bother to notice what's in front of you," Even Corless was wired up. Paul didn't notice it yet, but he was as annoying as Casey.

The entrance was in fact standing in front of them, contrary to the rest of the interiors; the door was made of oak, and was large enough to let a battalion to pass through it.

"Well," Corless's face turned bright again. "Here's where I need you."

He moved to a particular corner of the room and placed his hands on a lever. Paul turned the other side and noticed yet another lever. He understood that he was to handle the other one.

"The mechanism of the door is quite strange," Corless said before grunting, in an attempt to move the lever. Paul did the same; he pushed the lever as hard as he could. At some point he heard a cracking sound, and the large door opened slowly, only to lead to another corridor.

"The levers can only move at the same time," Corless informed, "I couldn't open it alone."

So that was what he was waiting for, huh? He obviously needed to wait for his companion so that he wouldn't enter into some trap room.

"Now let's go ahead shall we? The entrance is just few more steps away."

He slowly followed the man in white coat. Compared to him, his own dress looked dull, and not to mention his hair was the same color, and his eyes didn't have a significant spark to it that could attract women. And not to mention Corless was smart and witty. This guy could probably have a dozen girlfriends if he wanted.

The door to the main entrance was similar, except it didn't need the same lever operation, and that's not it. He doesn't know from where, but yet another corridor has joined into the room at the entrance.

"Where does that corridor lead to?" Paul asked.

Corless remained silent; he slowly pushed the heavy door open. The cold wind from outside pushed itself in, causing either of them to shiver at once.

The duo stepped out at once. The wind was quite strong, although not strong enough to build a blizzard yet.

Unlike the other side, the surroundings were completely in snow, without even a trace of any ruins, or a destroyed house or a broken pillar. Two large glaciers surrounded the huge palace from which they have come out, like two arms cupped around it, with a considerable gap left between them, to let passage from the palace to places beyond it.

The palace itself, no matter how grand it was from the inside, was actually pretty normal from the outside. It only made sense because doors and walls made of diamonds would slowly be chipped away by some smugglers or poor peasants, until they notice that a considerable portion was missing. Instead the doors were made of wood, and walls of bricks, which had patches of snow all over.

'So where exactly am I?' He couldn't help but put the question to himself. There had to be some way back to the entrance he came from, because every door he entered till now sealed themselves as soon as—

Wait! Not every door. The door that they just came out didn't seal itself yet.

"I told you I would show you something once we get out, right?" Corless adjusted his glasses. There was a glint in his eyes, like that of a hunter that cornered its prey.

The entrances till now sealed themselves, but the last one didn't. So Corless may have as well traced his path back inside. There was also this extra corridor connected to the last room. Could it be—?

Corless took a Pokéball from inside his coat pocket.

'He had a Pokémon?'

"What I wanted to show you Paul," he prepared to toss the Pokéball, "Is your death."

Max

"Sky Upper Cut!"

The chicken-like orange Pokémon charged at its opponent with full force. Its fiery red eyes were completely focused on the penguin-like creature that towered in a defensive battle stance.

The Combusken's attack was blocked by the Empoleon; the latter then took a good step back and started spinning. The Pokémon then struck the unguarded Combusken with a super-effective Drill Peck.

The chicken unable to balance on its two legs fell to its back.

"That was Drill Peck," the blue-haired Dawn explained. "It's a flying type move."

"Its super effective on a fighting type like my Combusken," Max added. The blonde nodded in response.

"We will call it a day," May announced. "You can't learn too much in a single day." Although she didn't admit it, she was deeply impressed. Winry actually managed to easily adapt to the battle styles of Empoleon, her Blaziken and Venusaur in just three hours span.

'She's a natural.' May thought.

"You're really impressive," Max said, "You even beat my dad."

"Thanks I guess," she scratched her head again. It was her standard gesture which she used when she was embarrassed.

"I knew this little guy is super strong when he beat May's Blaziken," Dawn took the Pikachu into her arms. The Pokémon cuddled and purred softly as she gently brushed its fur.

""Oh, by the way," Winry said, "Norman said something about Ash's Pikachu. Is he the same Ash you guys talked about?"

The trio suddenly turned glum as if their souls were drained off. It has been more than two weeks since he was kidnapped, and there wasn't any news about him. In May's case, she had worse news in store.

"I-I'm sorry," she apologized. What was she even thinking? She scolded herself.

"He was awesome," Max said. "He never gives up no matter how hard the situation is, his motivation is so strong that even his Pokémon push themselves to extremes."

"But you know," Dawn said, "He gets too fired up for small things. Sometimes he gets too greedy for a gym battle, and ends up in a mess. But he's kinda cool that way."

"That guy," Max said, "Was my new hero, ever since he beat my dad. Once Brock and the others rescue him, I am going to battle him and show him how strong I have gotten."

"He sounds…" the blonde paused, searching for a proper word, "he sounds really inspirational. I want to meet him some time too."

It wasn't something Winry said casually, she really wanted to meet him because a guy like him might actually motivate her to remember her past.

May stooped a little and whispered into Max's ears, "Hey, don't hype Ash too much. Your heart might break if she falls in love with him."

Max's face turned pink, "Hey why would my heart break. Besides…" He then adjusted his glasses, "I think you will be the one with a broken heart."

May didn't understand what he meant for a second, and then turned a scarlet pink herself, "Oh, so my little brother seems to learn to counter his sister, huh."

Max gave a victorious grin before May started chasing him.

[
i]Paul[/i]​

Paul said, "If that was supposed to be a joke, sorry for not laughing."

Corless's smile didn't waver. He knew Paul must be underestimating because he was a lab guy. "Then I'll prove you that I am serious."

"Metagross, come on out!"

Paul's reflexes immediately took his hand to the nearest Pokeball, he detached and enlarged it from his belt at the same time, "Torterra, stand by for battle."

The Iron Leg Pokémon and the continent Pokémon landed on the ground at the same time, both with an impact that raised the snow around their feet.

Metagross was a tremendous Pokémon, one look at the Pokémon and one can easily understand that it was not to be messed with.

Torterra was no slouch either. The Continent Pokémon was huge, even for its species. Its dull brown eyes rested on the Steel type which seemed restless, and badly wanted to show its strength.

"A Torterra?" Corless scoffed, "The Pokémon I have here is a pseudo-legendary. You should have at least looked for a Pokémon with type advantage."

Paul remained silent. Even though he didn't ask to, his brain entered into the battle mode, where his brain turned absolutely clear and was free from any stray thoughts that creep into it, other than that related to the battle.

"Hmm," Corless noticed the change in Paul's face. "So you are an experienced Pokémon trainer after all. But still you don't stand a chance against a pseudo-legendary!"

"Now, Metagross!" he commanded the tank like Pokémon into action. "Finish it off in one hit, Meteor Mash!"

The Iron Leg Pokémon lunged at the continent Pokémon, its left foreleg was in the air, as it collected its strength and rammed the continent Pokémon's face with all the force it had, straight on its nose with a large impact. The said Pokémon was forced to slide a good feet back before it clutched its four feet against the snowy ground.

"Heh," The Professor scoffed again, as neither Paul nor the Torterra gave any reaction. "I guess it's over."

Even Metagross shared the same smirk albeit unnoticeable. The Pokémon below its forefoot didn't give any reaction to the attack. It must have fallen unconscious on the spot, they thought.

The tension in the air stood for a second, Corless started to doubt the victory he claimed earlier and exchanged a glance with Paul. The purple haired boy simply smirked.

Metagross noticed that it couldn't completely smash its opponent's face into the ground, and it was in fact a few inches away from it.

"A Pokémon's strength doesn't lie in its species," Paul said as the continent Pokémon slowly lifted its head, pushing Metagross out of balance. The steel-type lurched a few steps back and watched Torterra in awe. "It lies in how much strong it actually is."

'How dare he throws those one-liners on me!' Corless adjusted his glasses once more.

"Use Frenzy Plant!" Paul commanded. The continent Pokémon's body was engulfed in a green aura, then it lifted its front paws and stomped the ground with all its strength. Numerous large vines, that were actually thick enough to be called trees rose from the ground at once.

Corless panicked at the monstrosity of the attack, but he pretended to maintain composure, "Do you think a grass type move will damage by Metagross?"

"On the ground!" Paul barked.

The powerful plants then struck the ground beneath the steel-type. The impact was strong enough to creature a powerful shockwave in the ground, which even threw their trainers off balance.

A thick fog rose due to the impact, and when it cleared out, Metagross was found unconscious, deep inside a pit created by the attack.

"The impact a move has doesn't depend on the type it is," Paul said. "It depends on how it is used." 'Isn't that right, Ash?'

"You and your silly one-liners," Corless regained his stance, "Do you think you are really cool?"

Paul didn't answer the question. He was too focused in doing what Brandon suggested him, "Good job, Torterra," he said, with a smile that one wouldn't normally see on his face.

The Pokémon nodded, looking at its trainer, he changed a lot ever since he met the 'other' trainer.

"Alright," Corless sighed, "I only wanted to test how strong you are."

'Test?'

"Do you expect me to believe you, after what you have done?" He asked. For once he was having a good streak as a cool hero. The one-liners weren't shabby, but they certainly needed improvisation, he analyzed.

"Yeah, you should," Corless said, "Because I need your help in stopping this evil legendary Pokémon."

'Evil what?' Nope, sorry. Not interested. No more screw ups today. A side of his brain kept hammering. While another side worked on what he said. It was true that Brandon said only a legendary Pokémon could create an unnatural blizzard of this power.

"What are you talking about?" He asked. The first side of his brain panicked. 'Idiot, why the heck are you asking? It's not like you are going to help him or wait are you actually planning to do so?'

"On second thought," Corless said at length. The glint in his eyes returned, as he spotted something behind Paul. "I may not need you."

The Veilstone trainer noticing the change in his expression turned back. There was nothing behind him except for the glacier beyond. But a nagging feeling told him that someone was standing there or at least stood there.

Then he heard a footstep flash beside him. Paul jerked his head to the right. Yet another footstep flashed on his left, this time accompanied by some snow that seemed to be disturbed by something or someone. All of a sudden Paul was hit by a sudden fear that an enemy was hiding somewhere and was probably very fast.

"Ice Punch."

"Guillotine."

Multiple voices were heard all around him. "Torterra—" he opened his mouth to warn his Pokémon but was frozen when a Weavile and a Bisharp appeared out of nowhere and landed beside Torterra. Either Pokémon's hands were glowing with their respective attacks, which were stopped just in front of the Pokémon's face.

In a similar fashion, two men appeared out of nowhere and landed before Corless.

Either man was dressed in black that also extended to be their masks. Their head bands were also designed in a similar fashion. Their hair was however white enough to mix with the surrounding snow.

Corless remarked, "The Shadow Triad is finally here, huh."

'Triad?' Paul wondered as there were only two of them.

"Move your hands away from your Pokéball," a gruff voice whispered into his ears. It was then he noticed a firm hand around him. The hand held a sharp blade that was pressed against his neck.

'When did he—?' Paul slowly removed his hands off Magmortar's Pokéball.

Corless smirked, "It's my win, Paul."

'This isn't good, at all.' Paul was extremely dejected by the turn of events. 'Damn you, Ash. I could have been the same grumpy kid that lived in isolation without any danger if it weren't for you.'

1) I made the relation between Anthea, Concordia and N awkward because it struck as awkward to me. They were siblings but adopted by Ghetsis. But yet the description Concordia gives about her relation with N was little awkward. But I didn't explicitly state anything, so the rest is only left to the reader's imagination.

2) Paul is annoying because he complains a lot. The way he is freely expressing his annoying means that Casey had a definite impact on him. Most of his complaining is about how annoying others around him are.

3) Paul's brain mostly works like a computer or so he thinks. One can understand this inherent meaning if you notice the lines written in his P.O.V

4) A question: This question is a rather easy one, which legendary Pokémon do you think is Corless talking about.

Back