• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Pokémon] LEGEND

Bay

Years
  • Henry's little backstory at the beginning is sad. :<

"Don't patronize me; I know how to be safe, Aristotle," she said, rolling her eyes.

Was there supposed to be a sex joke somewhere in there? Theo asked. Aries interjected to prevent Denise from acting upon her thoughts of throttling him.

Woah. :P

The part where Aries joked about hugging and kissing Denise was a bittersweet moment. Natural for them to joke around as a way to be prepared for the upcoming battle(s).

The scene with Denise and Aries saying their goodbyes before heading to their respected roles is another nice moment there. I like that Denise took off his cloak and Aries doesn't need to hide himself anymore.

Henry and Deoxys's fight is off to a quick start, and so is Aries's encounter with Silver. Can't wait to see what happens next with Aries and Henry's battles and also how the other battles will play out!

Last edited:
    Years
  • 2.5. Just Right​

The Souvenir Shop really did look like just a souvenir shop. There was an old lady at the front selling even older things and the place looked like an old Chinese restaurant and smelled like oregano. She asked the old lady if she had the entrance to a secret underground base in the building (Denise was already wanted by Team Rocket; there wasn't a point in secrecy) but the lady just looked at her with a crazy expression. She sighed and started looking again, which was when she noticed the peculiar golden cabinet. She was just about to take a closer look at it when she heard a Pokémon being released behind her.

"You're the intruder," the old lady said before pulling off her face. Denise almost had a panic attack before she realized that it was just a disguise; underneath, she was a regular Grunt. Her Gastly was floating in the air with its ghastly expression. "I'll get a promotion if I take you in! Gastly, go!" Her Gastly laughed before the head swelled and popped.

"There goes your Pokémon," Denise said. She became aware of a weird tingling feeling in her skin, then the smell of sulfur in the air. She looked at the Grunt again, who was smirking triumphantly, and realized the Gastly hadn't exploded, it just dissipated. It solidified again around her head, causing Denise to cough and choke. She became lightheaded from the Gastly's poisonous gas, then she heard the Grunt laughing before she passed out.

When she came to, she was in what looked like a magician's box; it was made of something clear, but it wasn't glass because no matter how much she punched or kicked it it didn't even crack. She pressed her hands to it and found herself staring into a rectangular concrete room full of Grunts, and at the end of it was the Team Rocket Executives and Boss Giovanni himself looking really worse for the wear. She pounded on the wall and shouted at him, but by their reactions the box was soundproofed.

"Archer, activate the output sound," Giovanni said to one of his Executives. The man nodded and took a small remote from his pocket, pressing the button; a deafening screech filled the box before it was silent again.

"Why am I in here?" she demanded as Giovanni crossed the space between them, a Marowak at his side.

"Did you not break into my HQ weeks ago, or was that my imagination?" he asked, raising his eyebrows. She gritted her teeth.

"Okay, yeah, whatever—let me out or you'll pay, Giovanni."

"Your threat is meaningless as long as you're within that," he said. "It's a specially-made containment unit that once held Deoxys, and with that sort of structural strength an eighteen-year-old human girl is nothing."

"I wouldn't say that."

"And what are you doing here unarmed? Did you forget that I have an entire team at my disposal?" he said, spreading his arms to indicate the Rocket members around him.

"Well I didn't plan on getting captured," she retorted.

"Yes, well you shouldn't have asked for the entrance to Team Rocket HQ then," one of the Executives, a redheaded female, snorted. Denise rolled her eyes.

"Where's your son, huh? Where's Silver?"

"He's no son of mine, not that that's your business."

"Wait, what?" She slammed her palms against the glass. "Let me make it my business. I know Silver is a bastard—like father, like son, I guess—but he's still your son, Giovanni, your only son if I'm right, and you can't mess with family like that."

"Family?" he snorted. "He was no more than a traitor to the corporation."

"Damn the corporation! What—about—the—family?" She punctuated each word with a punch to the glass, but as Giovanni said, it was impossible to break; she sank to the ground, exhausted, and it felt like the box or container or whatever wasn't getting any fresh oxygen.

"I tire of you," he sighed, stepping back. He nodded to Archer, who pressed a different button on the remote; suddenly the walls of the box fell away, freeing her. She lurched forward, fully intent on slamming Giovanni's head into the wall, but his Marowak moved forward, using its bone to knock her legs out from under her and cause her to hit the ground. "I will ask you some questions involving your infiltration and I expect you to answer each of them truthfully," Giovanni said.

"You bastard, why should I?" she hissed, getting to her knees. He pretended to think for a moment.

"I see that something has to be at stake for you to comply; let's say for each question you refuse to answer, this can happen." He nodded at his Marowak; it swung its bone and it made contact with Denise's right arm, creating a loud crack. She fell back on her butt, feeling pain surge in her arm as the injury swelled. "Are you willing to comply now?" Giovanni asked.

"Damn you," she snapped, feeling tears prick at her eyes.

"I'll start: How did you know where to find the entry warp panel?"

"I've no damn idea," she said. His Marowak hit her again, this time her right hand, and this time she saw her fingers bend backwards as the bones cracked.

"I want an answer," he said. "Or would you rather Marowak hit your skull?"

"You could smash me into bits now; I won't rat out my friends, not for anything," she said. Giovanni pressed his lips in a thin line.

"Archer, hand me the DNA Machine," he said, holding his hand back; Archer placed a small device shaped like a PokéDex in his palm. "Now, Marowak." His Marowak nodded and swung again, hitting Denise in the nose; it broke immediately, blood spurting on her hands and the ground. While she reeled Giovanni knelt down and used a cotton swab to get some of her blood and insert it into a port on the machine; it beeped once, then twice after a while.

"The hell is that?" Denise asked, hands over her nose. Her voice came out stupidly nasal.

"Hm…" He ignored her, which just made her angrier. "I see… Denise, born and raised in Pewter City, daughter of Dennis and Deborah and has brothers Demetrius and Derrick. I wonder if you'd be more willing to talk if… Ariana," he said to the redheaded Executive, "take a few Grunts with you and go to Pewter City, 2821 West—"

"Stop!" she yelled, her anger subsiding and terror rising in her instead. Giovanni smirked, as pleased as the proverbial Persian that caught the Pichu. "Don't hurt them!"

"Now may I ask you some questions, Denise?"

"…Yes," she conceded, feeling completely beat.

——————

I wonder if Aries is alright, Mew thought worriedly before shaking its head. No, now's not the time to worry—especially when he's most likely not worrying about me in return. Instead, it put its focus into moving faster across the ocean instead, creating waves in its wake from Extremespeed.

Although it was all for getting rid of Team Rocket, Silver, and Deoxys, Mewtwo was a different story. They regarded it with fear, which was the source of their need to get rid of it, but Mew knew that that wasn't entirely correct; Mewtwo was scary—extremely so—and was created by Team Rocket, but when it really thought about it, Mewtwo had never hurt or endangered any of them. That didn't warrant complete amnesty, but it did at least warrant another chat with its facsimile.

It watched as the Cinnabar Islands loomed into view and was struck by a powerful and strange feeling, so powerful that it nearly plummeted into the ocean that moment. It felt a strong pull from the island to itself, something it never felt before. Against its common sense, Mew decided to fly around it, circling the Gym and the Pokémon Laboratory until it found the burnt skeleton of a large home. Curious, it lowered itself and was again struck by that strange pull, this time from the manor; it flew through a shattered window and into the building.

The place was strange; it resembled a mansion, but at the same time a laboratory. Several wild Pokémon milled around and it appeared to have been ransacked by burglars more than a few times. It looked around and spotted a loose sheet of paper; picking it up psychically, it brought the sheet to its face to read. It was burned and torn, but it could still make out the words: "July 5th, Guyana, South America—A new Pokémon was discovered deep in the jungle." That was Mew; it remembered finding the researchers and, intrigued by the humans, lost focus and dropped its invisibility for a moment. It moved on, finding more, but the pulling sensation was growing stronger the further it went into the mansion. The strange feeling led Mew up the stairs and past rows of broken, ajar doors to a highly-dented metal one that appeared to have held in some sort of behemoth at some point. Mew sipped through a large crack between the door and doorframe and gasped.

The door had once hidden the contents of a laboratory, and not just any laboratory either; the place was full of overturned desks and broken flasks that had once held Pokémon DNA, it sensed. There were several old Fossils too, broken into crumbs from age, and even the remnants of what seemed to be Pokémon burned to a crisps. It raised its head to the ground and found something worse: cloning capsules lining the far wall of the room. There were six in total; five had fallen apart with age, tubes and monitors hanging uselessly, but the sixth was different. The sixth was shattered, ripped apart by brute force. It crept closer and placed its paws on the thick glass, checking for any sort of remaining energy; even a small amount could clear the mysterious monster's identity. It focused harder, finding nothing, and harder still, scanning the entire capsule until it knew it inside and—

"What's wrong, Amber? What's happening?"

Mew pulled away, shocked by the terror coursing through its body. That was… That was Mewtwo, it thought, tentatively moving closer. Then it was here that Mewtwo was created. It stared at the capsule for a few seconds before touching its paw to it once more.

"It feels like it's time to say goodbye," the girl—Amber—said, smiling sadly as her body faded away.

"…Goodbye?" Mewtwo repeated, perplexed. "I feel…something…" He touched his face and his paw came back sparkling with something. "What are…these…?"

"They're tears; you're crying."

"Crying?" It was crying for the first time, and it was a wonderfully sad feeling.

"My daddy used to tell me a bedtime story," Amber said. "That when Pokémon are sad and they cry, their tears are filled with life.

"I'm so…" Mewtwo cried, "…sad."

"…I have to go," Amber said, her eyes sad but still bright.

"Why?" it pleaded.

"I don't know," she admitted, "but it's alright. Thank you for caring about me, and don't cry, Mewtwo—you should be happy. You're alive—" it could barely hear her now; she was almost gone, "—and life is…wonderful…"

"Oh," it murmured as the last of her body faded away. "These tears…what good are they? Please, Amber, come back, don't go—please! AMBER?" It searched for her but couldn't find her or the other clones, then a strange calmness fell over it; its thoughts began to blur until it forgot the source of its panic and instead curled up, falling into a deep sleep of strange dreams.

Mew pulled away again, rubbing its paws together. That shed a bit more light on where Mewtwo was from and a bit on why it seemed so apathetic, but there were still some mysteries. It had to look a little harder—

"Pray tell, what are you doing here?"

Mew turned around, fully expecting to see Mewtwo there, but instead there was a Charmeleon, arms crossed over his chest. It looked between him and the capsule worriedly. I was pulled here for some reason, it finally said, deeming him trustworthy. Now I know it was because of Mewtwo's presence.

"Mewtwo? I haven't heard that name in how long. Come." He led Mew to another less-damaged room full of burnt bookshelves and books, although most of them were still readable. Curiously, Mew couldn't read his mind, although it sensed he was a good guy. "I'm Leon," he said, pulling a book from the shelf and flipping it open. "I've been here since the beginning."

The beginning? It caught the book in its paws when Leon threw it over; a quick scan of the pages revealed it was a record of Team Rocket's cloning experiments.

"Yup, since back when Team Rocket started all of this. It's funny; thirty years of experimentation instantly became crap when there was just the possibility of recreating the great Mew, whose DNA was still quite mysterious and perplexing."

It isn't really, it said absently, checking the records. It appeared that the Amber that Mewtwo encountered was the clone of a scientist's daughter who had passed, but that was the most it could glean on her. Then it came to the section on Mewtwo; there was plenty of medical information, but there wasn't much on what happened after Amber. There isn't anything more recent?

"Who would've been here to record it?" Leon spread his arms. Mew shrugged, finding no argument. "One day, Mewtwo just lost it and forced its way out of here, burning the place with its scientists and clones down to the ground; I don't know where it went after that."

But Mew knew; it went to the Arctic where it met Mew and Aries. What else do you know about Mewtwo?

"You're Mew; you're the original. Don't you know all of this already?" he snorted. Mew shook its head sadly; Leon's expression softened a fraction. "Well, Team Rocket made it as the perfect Pokémon from Mew—your—DNA, and it's because of the immortality in your DNA that actually made that dream plausible. Mewtwo is like you but genetically made with that sort of cruelty that only Team Rocket has—a special ingredient, so to speak. They made it to be a Grunt, a lackey, an underling, a puppet."

Mewtwo can't be a puppet; Mewtwo is too freelance, Mew said, which was true. Leon nodded in response.

"Which is why Mewtwo made its escape eleven years ago." He gestured at the ruined mansion. "Personally, I don't think it's a bad guy; it does his own thing all the time but it never stepped over the line."

Leon, Mew started, how do you know all of this? I thought that all of the Pokémon here died.

Leon shrugged, smirking. "We did." Mew suddenly realized why it couldn't read his mind.

You're just a soul, it said, amazed. Leon's energy faded away then, leaving it alone. It sighed as it let the book hit the floor; the others probably wouldn't like it—again—but it had to go through with this. It stretched its mind as far as it could go across Kanto, eventually finding its target.

Fancy meeting you up here, Mew, Mewtwo mused.

Mewtwo, I know everything, Mew said, skipping pleasantries. Mewtwo's mind was quiet for a few heartbeats.

Everything, it repeated bitterly. That's a lot to know.

I also know that unlike Team Rocket, you're not intrinsically depraved. A long while ago I asked if you're the antagonist; now, I'm asking if you want to be the protagonist.

Interesting offer, Mewtwo said after a moment of deliberation. What do I have to do?

——————

Aries' teleportation skills needed some work; Theo's legs hit the ground, then the rest of his body did a second later, but thankfully they came back together with no blood or anything, but he did feel his second and third claws on his left paw change places. He shook the weird psychic residue from his fur, and when he was sure his fur wasn't changing colors or anything he looked up.

"Help! Help!" a short redheaded boy cried as two Galactic Grunts worked to hold him back. Ahead, Cyrus stood with two of his Admins, hands behind his back and appearing macabre as ever.

"Be careful with him," Cyrus said as they threw him into the back of a black van. Theo growled, bristling; he started to wonder why nobody cared, but it was damn Jubilife, a city too big for anybody to care.

Hey, let him go! Theo shouted, leaping at Cyrus; his Admin stepped forward, her Golbat taking the lead.

"Golbat, use Air Cutter!"

"Got'cha!" her Golbat said to Theo, beating her wings violently to create sharp gusts of wind; Theo raised his arms but the wind knocked him backward onto his behind. She swooped in on him and, before he could react, sunk her monstrous teeth into his arm. He swatted and kicked at her, finally breaking a wing and throwing her away, but her teeth left big circular wounds that bled through his fur, and they also had the rotting smell of poison.

"What, they're sending Pokémon with no Trainers after me now?" Cyrus asked nobody in particular, taking a PokéDex out of his pocket and holding it up to Theo.

"Zoroark," the PokéDex said. "The Illusion Fox Pokémon. Stories say those who tried to catch Zoroark were trapped in an illusion and punished."

You hear that, you bastard? he yelled at Cyrus. Anytime I want to, I can—

The van's doors slammed shut just as Cyrus took out a PokeBall and released a Weavile. "X-Scissor," he commanded, unfazed by it all. His Weavile jumped and slashed at Theo's chest, creating dual gashes in his fur and shearing most of it away in the process. The move was supereffective, and it really didn't help that his Weavile was ultra-strong too.

"Sir, will we just leave him?" one of the Admins asked Cyrus. "He's a Unova Pokémon; he might be beneficial to us with a little brainwashing."

"…Perhaps," he decided. "Restrain him and put him in the van with the psychic."

Theo groaned as somebody pulled his arms behind his back and snapped a Macho Brace around his wrists and opened the vans doors, unceremoniously throwing him in the back and slamming them shut, putting him in darkness. He blinked to let his eyes adjust and saw the boy from earlier trembling in the corner. "He's just a damn kid," Theo muttered, struggling against the Macho Brace.

"…I'm not a kid," he said, surprising Theo. "I'm fourteen…"

Well, I'm sure I wasn't using telepathy, he thought, confused. "You could…can understand me?"

"O…of course," he said. "I could understand Pokémon since I was a little kid."

"You… Wait, Cyrus called you a psychic. That's true?" He nodded. "Then… Oh, damn. He's going to try to use you to summon Dialga and Palkia."

"What?" he exclaimed, grey eyes wide. "That's impossible!"

"Maybe not so impossible," Theo muttered, thinking of all of the so-called impossibilities that had recently happened to him. He heard the van start up and start moving. "They'll take us to Mt. Coronet; we have to get out before then."

"How? Cyrus took my Umbreon."

"I can…oof…" He pushed himself to his feet and sat down with his back to the van's cab, then he started chipping at the wall with his claws. "So, uh…what's your name again?"

"Jenson," he answered.

"Jenson, you a Trainer?"

"Uh-huh."

"Why were you in Jubilife?"

"I was visiting my parents…Arceus, I hope they're okay," he whispered, his face going white.

"For now, Jenson, you'd be better off worrying about yourself." He felt his claw go through and twisted around, pressing his eye to the hole he made. He had a small view of the driver's seat and the voices from the cab carried into the back.

"We can finally get Dialga and Palkia with this guy," the driver said; the driver also smelled like human female hormones, so Theo assumed that the driver was female.

"And Team Rocket's DNA technology, don't forget about that," the passenger said.

"Right, right; Giovanni's a bastard, but he makes good tech."

"Jeez," Theo muttered. "Jenson, you might want to hold onto something."

"What, the air?" he said sarcastically; Theo decided not to kill him for that since he was in a pretty stressful situation. "What are you going to do?"

"Nothing…directly, anyway." He bent lower, angling his head down until…yeah, he could see the rearview mirror—consequently, he could see the driver's eyes. He created an illusion, nothing too special, really, but enough to—

The van jerked to the right and slammed into something, causing Theo and Jenson to fly into the wall bodily. Almost immediately the van stopped and the doors came open, revealing a red-haired Admin and a magenta-haired Admin. "I said I got this, Jupiter," the redheaded one snapped.

"And I said that I have this, Mars," she snapped back, letting a big white ugly feline Pokémon into the van. It stared at Theo with wide yellow and bloodshot eyes until it gave him a head ache.

"If you think I'm gonna fall for you, you're real mistaken," he said dryly. The feline meowed angrily and turned away.

"It's a Dark-type," Mars complained. Jupiter laughed and took a blue rag from her pocket.

"You have to always be prepared, Mars," she sneered before shoving it in Theo's face. Arms still bound, he kicked and shouted into it, but whatever it was drenched in made him fatigued and sluggish, and eventually he fell asleep.

——————

The world slowly spun back into view—literally; Henry opened his eyes and saw that he was in a spiraling freefall down the side of Mt. Silver. His first instinct was to panic of course, but years of training kept him from doing so and he instead used Rock Smash to lodge his fist in the rocky cliff, slowing his fall until he came to a stop a few feet above a ledge full of Cacnea. He sighed in relief; they did too, for whatever reason. Now his conundrum was getting back up.

"Move!" one of the Cacnea suddenly shouted, and the whole swarm of them attacked his butt with a very explosive Pin Missile. The force (and pain) of it launched him up a few ledges and he crashed at the grassy entrance of a cave. He made sure his tail was still attached to his body before getting up and checking the cave out.

For some reason, even though there were a lot of holes that led to the outside, the interior was scalding hot; Henry was barely in there for three seconds before he was drenched in his sweat. He noticed small puddles of what looked like liquid fire on the gritty floor; he grabbed a handful of grass outside and tossed it on top of a puddle to be sure. As soon as the grass made contact the puddle burst into a bright gold and orange conflagration that didn't even leave ashes behind. He made a mental note to avoid touching them as he crept forward.

*LEGENDARY---MOKENOP| LEGENDARY POKÉMON* Deoxys said, manifesting with a pink aura near the end of the cave. Something about it seemed familiar but Henry couldn't place it immediately. It looked unaffected by the heat, and it was in a different form from before; its original one, Henry assumed, was the regular one with an oblong head, two tentacles on each shoulder, and straight orange and team skin, but this one had a sharper head, one tentacle on each shoulder, and grey legs, and he could feel the power it emitted even from across the room. *DESTROYED---MUST BE*

"The Legendary Pokémon are less destructive than you," Henry pointed out, getting into a fighting position. Deoxys cocked its head to the left side then the right.

*RAYQUAZA* it said, and if it could speak matter-of-factly it just did.

"You're a funny guy, aren't ya?" He tried attacking it with Focus Blast but it just went into that defensive form and blocked it. From what Aries said, Deoxys had multiple forms: Normal Form, Speed Form, and Defense Form. He was wrung from his thoughts when Deoxys rammed into him, throwing him backward with Superpower; Henry spun around and landed on all fours, just barely dodging a fire puddle. (Or is fire puddle an oxymoron? The thought didn't occur to him.) "—Attack Form," he groaned.

Henry spun to his feet and ran up to Deoxys, dealing a punch to its face; it just batted him away and struck him with Thunder, undeterred. Henry gritted his teeth at the electricity in his body until it was over, which was when Deoxys picked him up with Psychic and slammed him against the wall. *NUISANCE* it said to him, tightening its grip until it felt like a giant fist was squeezing the life out of him.

"I—" He gritted his teeth until he was practically grinding them together, straining his muscles until they felt like they'd rip apart. "I'd laugh—at the irony—but I'm a little—preoccupied." Deoxys got within breathing space of him, looking him up and down like it could see straight through him.

*YOU CAN STILL MOVE| WHY YOU CAN STILL MOVE?* Deoxys asked, perplexed.

"Maybe I'm just that great." Henry managed to pull his left hand free, striking Deoxys with Shadow Claw; like he expected, it went back into Defense Form and moved backwards afterwards, but this time he actually left scratches in its tentacles. "Ghost-type is supereffective, so that means it's either a Ghost-type or a Psychic-type. Let me…" He struggled some more before Deoxys lost its grip and he went free, hitting the ground. Henry rushed forward and dodged Deoxys' swinging tentacles and—with Deoxys still in Defense Form—struck it in its belly with Poison Jab. Deoxys skidded backwards before catching itself at the edge of a fire puddle; when it straightened Henry could see the purplish imprints of his fist on its center.

Psychic-type, great, Henry thought, bashing his fists together. That makes this a lot easier.

Deoxys went into Speed Form, vanishing as it raced around the room; Henry could barely follow the blur of its body until it came back at him, whipping him with its tentacles and bringing him down on one knee. He tried to stand up but it came back again in the blink of an eye, nearly knocking him into a fire puddle. It's too fast, he thought, gripping his ears in frustration. Damn, if only I could sense it—if only—

Suddenly there was a different type of energy coursing through his veins. It was really weird; Henry was looking at the ground and yet he could still see the cave walls and the entrance and, hell, even the stupid Cacnea below them. He just as suddenly knew—not realized, knew—that he wasn't seeing it all, but he was seeing it, as cheesy as that sounded, seeing their auras. Granted, it wasn't as great as Mew or Deoxys' level of psychic mastery, but it was damn good enough since he could now see Deoxys' movements a lot better. He waited until it was close enough and struck it with Shadow Claw; Deoxys slowed instantly, deep scores left in its chest from his attack. Henry cracked his neck.

"Well damn, call me Johnny, 'cause you're about to get Caged."

——————

"Hey, wake up."

"Nngh?" Theo groaned, opening his eyes; Mars' face swam into view as she smirked, pulling him to his feet by his ponytail.

"You'll miss the show, Zoroark," she said, gesturing to the scene ahead of them. He tried to clear his mind as he looked around; it seemed that they had made it to Mt. Coronet—damn it, he was out of time. Team Galactic was herded into a semicircle around Cyrus, who was holding up two orbs, one bluish and one pinkish. He was saying something too, but it was an ancient language, ancient even for Pokémon. Jenson was ahead of him, down on all fours on the gritty earth; Theo could literally smell his fear, and he was screaming too, loud and shrill. The sound of it made his heart ache.

"Mars, get over here! It's starting!" Jupiter called. Mars pranced over to her side, leaving Theo to fall on his face; he tried standing up but there was still too much poison in his veins for him to even see straight. He looked around at the temple's ruins and started to detect an odd energy that made his skin tingle; when he looked at Cyrus again, twin blue and pink lights were forming ahead of him at the center of the ruined temple. Very suddenly, Jenson's screaming ceased and he fell flat on the ground; Team Galactic went quiet too, but it was an awed sort of silence.

"Finally," Cyrus whispered. Theo watched through his blurring vision as the blue and pink lights began to form into the Dialga and Palkia from storybooks. It's over, he thought. Then he realized there was another scent in the area—a familiar scent too, one he had started to liken with death and general depression.

Team Rocket!

It wasn't the entire team, but it was a good fourth of it, all led by that Executive Ariana—no Silver. "Team Galactic, you're under attack by Team Galactic!" she said to Cyrus. "For dabbling in things you have no business being in, 'specially considering what's already happened to you…"

"You lot are some people to speak about this," Cyrus retorted. "Mewtwo? Deoxys?"

"Old projects," Ariana replied.

"I hardly call eleven years ago old, especially with Deoxys still remaining as a threat to us all."

"Well, okay, let me rephrase: you're under attack by orders of Team Rocket Boss Giovanni's son, Silver."

Silver, what? Theo thought. Why would he want Cyrus gone? He realized that that was sort of a dumb thought; anybody would want Cyrus gone, what with him trying to rip apart the space-time continuum and all, but Silver didn't seem like the kind of person to care until it was actually at his boots.

"Giovanni's no-good son wanted you all to stop me?" Cyrus said, laughing sarcastically. Okay, so Theo wasn't the only dubious one.

"He seems no good, okay, but he's actually a deep person," Ariana said in a way that made Theo think she wanted to mate with Silver at some point. "Rocket Grunts, get the Orbs away from Cyrus!"

"Galactic Grunts, keep them away from Dialga and Palkia!" Cyrus commanded in turn. Pokémon were summoned in hordes, moves flying back and forth and almost killing Theo in the process. He couldn't tell if Jenson was okay, but he didn't think it mattered much anyway, considering…well…

He looked up and saw that while Team Rocket and Team Galactic were messing around with each other, Dialga and Palkia were taking more form, and he was still out of it and Mew and everyone else was nowhere to be found. "Don't tell me it's really over," he muttered, covering his nose with his claws. Valentine and the pack would…

It never is, Theophilus.

A black portal appeared between the other two lights, twisting and swelling until it was the same size as them; red eyes appeared at the top and Theo could feel more than hear the growl it emitted. Cyrus looked at it and stepped back, scowling slightly, and the rest of Team Galactic and Team Rocket took about fifteen steps away, which was when Theo noticed Cyrus' Pokémon, a Houndoom and Honchkrow. "I should have expected you."

The darkness suddenly disappeared and something huge that kind of feels like a Pokémon is left floating there. In a second it began glowing and all of a sudden it changed into a six-legged Dragon-type with golden jaws, grey skin, and spiked black wings. On its back was—holy crap—Mew, and floating next to Mew was some purple Pokémon that looked a lot like it. I'd say it's nice seeing you again, but really, you've wasted my time years ago and now you're wasting it again, the Dragon-type Ghost-type Legendary Pokémon of the Distortion World and antimatter, Giratina, snorted. Theo wondered if the poison had corroded his eyesight or something.

Theophilus! Mew exclaimed, hopping off of Giratina and latching onto him in excitement. Soft fur, he thought. I'm sorry that we couldn't travel fast enough.

Me too, he muttered. The Legendaries are here how?

Mewtwo and I worked together to accomplish that, it said, gesturing at its better-looking friend. Mewtwo snorted in response, and with a wave of its hand dozens of Team Galactic and Rocket Grunts and their Pokémon went flying, crashing to the ground in moaning and groaning heaps and throwing up clouds of dust.

"Mewtwo!" Ariana exclaimed, sitting up with her hair in a wild and tangled mess. Mewtwo smirked, waggling its fingers at her.

Nice to see you again, although you were prettier when you were asphyxiating.

"Honchkrow, Night Slash," Cyrus commanded. His Honchkrow attacked Giratina, who stumbled, apparently still weak. The other lights started to flicker and fade; Cyrus gritted his teeth, repeating his words from earlier in a louder voice. Theo could hear Dialga and Palkia's cries as the lights actually formed portals.

He's gonna kill himself trying to summon all these Legendaries, Theo said as Mew used Heal Bell, cleansing his bloodstream of poison.

A dead man can't die again, Mewtwo said, hitting the ground. It was a lot taller than Mew, about six feet, and bulkier too.

A dead man? What?

We'll explain all of it later, Mew said, looking at Giratina worriedly. For now, we have to stop Cyrus before he— It was cut off as Palkia's portal suddenly ripped wide across the sky like somebody clawed it or stretched it out, then Dialga's portal ripped too and they formed a cross. The center part that they both mixed at was blacked out and full of pink and blue stars. A space-time portal, Mew said, awed. The Grunts all got to their feet and started running in various directions; most of the Rocket ones, apparently, were already prepared, using Flying-types to get away quicker. (Apparently, Silver was more clairvoyant than he looked.)

This is no time for appreciation, Mew, Mewtwo snapped, raising a hand and grabbing hold of Cyrus' Houndoom and Honchkrow psychically; they cried out in surprise and went quiet as it began squeezing them until they crumpled in heaps on the dirt. Cyrus turned to fully face them, alone without his Pokémon as Giratina, Mew, Mewtwo, and the almighty Theophilus stared him down.

Where will you run now, Cyrus? Giratina taunted, its jaws opening. Cyrus clenched his fists; his eyes shifted from them to the space-time portal. Mew gasped; Mewtwo rolled its eyes.

Cyrus— Mew started, but Cyrus ran forward and jumped inside anyway; apparently, he didn't learn his lesson from the first time he did it. As soon as he disappeared into the blackness a field of energy was emitted that knocked all of them backwards; Theo got a mouthful of dirt and twice as much in his fur that he just knew would be killer to get out. He was starting to get up when he suddenly felt Giratina bite down on his ponytail; a weird tingly feeling ran through him like cold chills as they became intangible and quickly sunk through Mt. Coronet.

Why are we running? he hissed, kicking and flailing in the dark and rocky interior of the mountain. As soon as they solidified at the base—him, Giratina, Mew, and Mewtwo—the entire peak of Mt. Coronet vanished. There wasn't any noise or debris or anything, but it all just disappeared.

There's your answer, Mewtwo said. There was a sudden and sharp pain in Theo's head as he hit the ground, but it quickly passed, leaving him a little dizzy and nauseous. That's the end of Team Galactic, in any case.

Team Galactic…what's that? Theophilus asked. Mewtwo looks amused while Mew sighed.

They are…were…one of the prominent troublemaking groups in the Pokémon world, namely Sinnoh, Mew explained, but because of Dialga and Palkia's space-time portal, they've been wiped completely out of existence. That spells peace for the Sinnoh region at least, and it ticks off one target on our list. Counting Mewtwo, that only leaves two: Giovanni and Silver.

You forgot to explain big guy here. Theo gestured at Giratina, who snorted in response.

Mew fiddled with its paws. I came to the conclusion that while Mewtwo has a very belligerent disposition and aura, despite its fear-inducing appearance—

Wow, my self-respect has been so easily trampled, Mewtwo said.

—it actually never posed a threat to myself or the others directly, so I instead implored its help in a different task: speeding up the revival process of the Legendaries. That requires a very fair amount of energy and willpower, which we both possess in abundance; we set aside our differences to call on the shreds of their beings remaining in this world and psychically brought them together to form solid bodies more quickly. It gestured at Giratina. It has only worked on a few however—Arceus, Giratina, Celebi, and Groudon—but with those burdens off of my shoulders I can be of more help now.

And with me we can't be stopped, Mewtwo said. Mew looked up at Giratina and said something in private to it; it nodded back and created a swirling black portal.

I will work on bringing back Dialga and Palkia, it said. Good luck you all. Giratina went inside of its portal and the portal vanished behind it.

Come on, Mew said, psychically lifting Theo up. The feel of it made him even dizzier, then he had the strange missing-limbs feeling of teleportation. When he could see again he realized that they were all in some building's basement office. Mew looked around, confused. I was sure I felt Denise's energy here…

Theo looked around at all of the electrical machines and saw two in particular that stuck out; they were taller than the rest and had a beam of electricity passing between their antennas. He looked closely at the left one's metal base and saw an arm sticking out from behind it; he moved over to get a better look and gasped. Hey, Mew. Mew! He pulled Denise's out from behind it and set her on the ground; there were still little sparks dancing across her burnt skin and clothes, and her hair was more frizzed than normal. Mew hovered around her before landing on her stomach.

She has no thoughts, Mewtwo said. Mew pressed its paws against her chest for a long time, then it exhaled.

Denise isn't breathing.

——————

"Is that all?" Giovanni asked, writing down the last of what she told him. Denise nodded, her face buried in her hands. "You and Silver would be good together," he commented offhandedly. "Those that betray their allies."

I didn't want to, she thought. But Aries is—well, Aries—and it's him against my family and—well—it was the—the right thing to do—right? She tried not to think about him, but she did; he could be detached at times, and optimistic, and mischievous, but she was certain that he would never betray her…yet… But he would've if it was Mew and the Legendaries at stake, right?

…Right?

They're my family…but Aries is my best friend!

She lurched to her feet, using her good hand to attempt to take the papers from Giovanni's hands and tackle him to the ground; instead, two of the Grunts grabbed her arms, pulling her back and slamming her down on the ground. "What's done is done, Denise," Giovanni said, folding the paper into his blazer's pocket.

"You filthy, conniving, blackmailing rat," Denise growled. "No wonder Silver is trash; he was rotted before he was even born."

"This job isn't about being nice, however," Giovanni said. "In any case, you are no longer useful. Archer, take her down to the generator room."

"The generator room?" Archer repeated, paling a little. "The Pikachu down there are extremely powerful; just putting a human being, which is made up of mostly water, in the vicinity would cause instant—"

"I said—" Giovanni cut off, breaking into a serious coughing fit.

"Karma always comes around," Denise hissed as the Grunts hoisted her to her feet. "If you hurt me—well, you already did, but hell, if you kill me, Aries is gonna have your head." She actually wasn't sure how true that was, since she'd never seen Aries angry other than the thing with Mew, but she was sure he'd get some sort of revenge, and even if he wasn't that kind of person he would still have to come if Giovanni remained as Rocket Boss.

"We'll be prepared if Aristotle comes," he said passively, waving them away. Archer led the Grunts down the corridor to a warp panel that took them down to a long hall that ended in a wooden door.

"I know that Team Rocket steals Pokémon," Denise said to him, "but do you really want to steal lives too?"

He didn't say anything, only opened the door and let the Grunts shove her in; she unceremoniously tumbled down some stairs before landing in a heap of limbs on the ground. She shook her head out and looked up just as the door shut and the wary Pikachu began sparking.

Reactions: Nah
    Years
  • Aaaand this is the last chapter! Sad ending though. After this, there's an Epilogue, and then LEGEND is finally done.

2.6. LEGENDARY​

"You'll get cut before I do," Aries warned Silver's Weavile, who just cackled in response. He pressed down harder, earning a bead of blood from Aries' skin. "I'm warning you—"

A light appeared not too far away, followed by a surge of psychic energy that knocked the Weavile off of him and onto the ground and sheared Aries' bangs off. He sat up and caught the very interesting sight of Mewtwo and Theo together. "Where is…Mew?" he asked hesitantly.

Busy, Mewtwo said before Theo could speak. He grumbled at that, but something about his disposition was oddly worrisome. The other one should also be arriving any—

Henry flashed into the room also via Teleport, but unlike Mewtwo and Theo, who were a little scuffed but healthy for the most part, he was covered in dirt and soot and greenish-purple blood that obviously didn't belong to him. 'Whoa!' he exclaimed, grinning in dazed amazement, displaying that he was missing three teeth.

"Did you do it?" Aries asked, indicating his teleportation.

'You bet I did!'

Why are you so damn happy? Theo snorted.

'Because I lived,' Henry explained. Aries couldn't check Henry's mind before a loud sound came from the Elite Four's room. 'We don't have time to waste!'

"Henry is right—come on!" They went inside of the Elite Four's rooms where the Elite Four and their Pokémon were unconscious, passing through each one quickly until they reached the grand doors of the Champion's room, which were open. Inside, Lance was being held up by Silver's Typhlosion while Silver was nowhere to be seen. Henry and Theo ran forward while Mewtwo grabbed Typhlosion psychically, dragging it away from Lance with no small amount of effort. Aries looked at his two KO'ed Dragonite before checking on him. "Are you alright, sir?"

"Yes," he said after a moment, nodding. On the other side of the room, Mewtwo, Henry, and Theo struggled to hold Typhlosion back as it thrashed and burned. "That Trainer… I met Silver a while ago and I was appalled by how he treated his Pokémon, therefore I sought to teach him a lesson through battle. I thought that it sunk it, but now it's obvious that the lesson hasn't. Silver's beaten me and is in the Hall of Fame now." He nodded at the doors at the other side of the room; Aries nodded and rushed over, pushing them open. As soon as he stepped inside they slammed shut behind him.

"Great; I was meaning to call someone else in to celebrate with me," Silver said from the machine. Four of his PokeBalls were set in the slots since his Typhlosion was still out there with the others and his Weavile was still in the lobby.

"You can't be Champion, Silver," Aries said, clenching his fists. "The Champion doesn't abuse and bully his way to the position. You treat your Pokémon like—like crap, turning them cruel and remorseless like yourself, and you expect vindication for that?"

"No," he said curtly. "I expect vindication for all of the crap I've had to take my entire life. All these years I've been doing what Daddy wants, working with his prized Team Rocket, training to get stronger and make others stronger so we can be the best, but what about us, huh? What happened to just Dad and I?"

"Don't tell me you're this bent over daddy issues, Silver," he accused darkly.

"Maybe you just don't understand the issues, what with having no parents." Aries gasped a little; Silver smiled coldly. "That's right; I know a lot about you that I gleaned from the international database. You haven't had a life like mine so you can't possibly understand why it is that I do what I do, so just go back to town and cry about something else—oh wait, Pallet's gone, also because of my old man. Gee, why don't you pester him instead of me?"

Aries clenched his fists tighter, then released them with a sigh. "There's no point in speaking to you, is there?"

"Nope," he said a bit too brightly, searching his pockets. He drew out a PokeBall and pressed the button; the beam shot out and went under the door, vanishing for a few seconds before it went back to the PokeBall; Silver then placed it in the fifth slot.

"How did the return function from so far away?"

"These are Team Rocket-brand PokeBalls," he explained. "However weak they are as a team, they do make handy tech." He took out another PokeBall and pressed the button; the return was quicker that time, and he quickly slotted it with the others. The machine lit up and beeped as it scanned each of his PokeBalls, then beeped again in confirmation; the last step, Aries remembered from books on the process, was for it to scan Silver's Trainer's Card, and that would declare him the Champion of the Pokémon League Johto. He drew his Card from his wallet and was about to insert it into the slot when he froze—or rather, his hand froze. Silver looked at Aries in surprise as he held his hand in place and very carefully loosened his grip on the card, floating it over into his own hand. "And you did it again," Silver said, alluding to the miracle of eleven years ago.

"I've been practicing," Aries said, waving Silver's card. Silver took a step and a half forward before Aries froze him again midstride—at least, he was frozen from the chest-down; that was the best he could do, and it was an improvement. Silver strained his neck and shoulders but he couldn't break free.

"Okay, you got me," he finally sighed. "What now? You gonna kill me? Oh, no, you're too much of a pansy for that."

"As much as I admire your metaphorical use of a subspecies of the violet, I wouldn't hurt you at all in any event." Aries walked up to him, looking in Silver's eyes as he hadn't been able to do as a scared little six-year-old, and he put his hands on either side of Silver's face and pressed his forehead to his.

Images flooded Aries' mind, some surprisingly regular—a mother and father talking their little boy to the movies, comic books, baby Pokémon battles—and some markedly darker, and as he progressed through Silver's mental timeline the darker images turned sourer and colder with him working on several Team Rocket's genetic projects, among other more sordid ones, and snatching Pokémon from innocent wide-eyed Trainers. For the most part, Silver's actions seemed very sociopathic with his schmoozing nature and lack of a guilty conscience, but the deeper Aries searched the more he realized Silver not only regretted what he was doing but wished he didn't have to, but it was an amazingly small part of him; for the most part, Silver was still a rotten person.

"Get out," Silver finally said, his voice shaky. Aries pulled away, feeling just as wrecked as Silver looked. "You feel better about yourself for doing that?"

"Not at all," he answered honestly. "But it was you that said I don't understand, and now I do, and rather than hurting you, I want you to promise me something."

"And what's that?" he snorted.

"I want you to promise that you'll be a regular Pokémon Trainer, one that doesn't push others around and abuse people and preach about their weakness."

"That's a lot to ask."

"I'm aware, but I'm also aware that somewhere deep inside, you have the capacity for it."

"Or maybe you're putting too much faith in something that isn't there anymore." Suddenly he grabbed his Trainer's Card from Aries' hand and kicked him onto his back. "Also, you should really work on your skills." Aries groaned and tried to get up, but either Silver had a really good foot or Aries still had the joint-based repercussions of telekinesis. Silver almost swiped his card in the machine but, with awfully comic timing (not comic as in hilarious, but comic as in comic book-like, as in just when all was lost), the door slammed open. He raised his head and saw several police officers led by Officer Jenny rush into the room.

"Freeze!" she called, her Blastoise growling at Silver. "Pokémon Trainer Silver, you are under arrest for association with Team Rocket, multiple acts of cruelty against fellow Trainers and Pokémon Champion Lance, and general crimes against the system!"

Silver raised his hands, snorting. "You called the police?"

"Calling the police warrants that I have some sort of communication device which, as you can see, I don't, and even if I did have one I couldn't grab it now." He sat up with difficulty, using his hands to push himself to his feet. "The fact is that even if you get away now, Silver, you'll have the rest of the police force looking for you, and I believe not even you are cunning enough to avoid that."

"Then you obviously underestimate my drive." He wiggled his left hand and a small remote control device poked out of his sleeve. Before anybody could react he pushed the button, causing all of his PokeBalls to beep and release his team simultaneously. Granted, there were still twelve police officers in the room, but Silver's team was like an army; he could take them too easily in that event, but he also still had Mewtwo and Henry to face in Lance's room, and Aries be damned if they weren't decent threats on their own. Suddenly, Silver's left pocket blared an instrumental version of some irritating song that featured a video of a Pikachu with a breakfast pastry for a body spewing a rainbow trail.

"Don't move," Jenny said when Silver started reaching for his pocket.

"It's just my Xtransceiver," he said innocently, drawing it out and putting the device to his ear. "Hi, this isn't the best time whoever you are…what? You're kidding. You're kidding. Archer, I swear if you're kidding— You're serious. And…why do you sound so despondent?" Aries couldn't hear the other end of the conversation, but whatever was said had Silver looking more shocked than Aries thought a person could look shocked. He ended the call and threw the Xtransceiver at his Typhlosion, who incinerated it in a second. "Damn it," he muttered, throwing his arm across his eyes. "Gengar, please."

'Silver…' his Gengar said, and for all of the crap Silver put his Pokémon through, he sounded legitimately worried for his Trainer. The whole lot of them turned invisible just as Jenny's Blastoise loosed a powerful Hydro Pump, only succeeding in drenching the machine, and they all passed through the floor and disappeared.

"You all, spread out in the lobby and the entrance," she commanded her crew, who nodded and went back the way they came. Meanwhile, she approached Aries.

"I'm Officer Jenny of the Johto Police Force. Who are you and what relation do you have with Pokémon Trainer Silver?"

"My name…" Aries sighed, rubbing his neck with both hands. His body ached, his brain ached, he was tired, and he wanted nothing more than to eat and sleep for forever and then some. "My name is Aristotle, Officer Jenny, and Silver is only a part of the real problem here. Let me explain."

——————

"Where have you two been?" Aries asked as he walked out of the police station in Lilycove City, finding Henry and Theophilus sitting on a stone bench parallel to the street.

'Mewtwo and I made an escape as soon as the police showed,' Henry shrugged. 'It did that, I don't know, lack-of-flashy thing and I used Dig; we met up again in Victory Road and it said that it had much much more interesting things to do than to hang around people like us, whatever that means, and left. After that, I went to the Pokémon Center and they held me up for a few hours until I could hike back to the city and take a bus here.'

"They let you ride a bus?"

'Of course; my pass from Pewter is valid everywhere.' He produced a bus pass from somewhere in his fur and waved it around; Aries decided to drop the matter for the time being.

"And you, Theo?"

Um… I'd rather not explain, he said, atypically bashful. But I made some interesting new friends.

Aries joined them on the bench with a sigh. 'What did they ask you?' Henry asked. 'Or rather, what did you tell them?'

"A lot. Not everything, but enough to point them in the direction of Team Rocket and Team Galactic; also, the stories surrounding them are interesting, to say the least. Team Galactic seems to have been wiped from everybody's memory."

Mew mentioned that, Theo said. I don't remember 'em, but there was this big battle on Mt. Coronet, right? and Dialga and Palkia almost showed up but Giratina showed up instead and totally wrecked the place, and then Mew said that the cross of Dialga and Palkia's powers made a space-time portal that completely wiped them from existence…or so it said.

"Also, I heard that today, Giovanni was found dead."

'Then…Denise…' Henry sounded traumatized. Aries shook his head.

"He died of disease, Henry." Henry let out a huge breath of relief. "And without a Boss, Team Rocket has disbanded. Now, it is disconcerting that the Executives and Grunts are now roaming free, but by themselves they're no threat."

'What about the, uh, experiments?'

"Found and taken in for containment. It very much seems that the most of this is over."

All's well that ends well, eh? Theo said, yawning. I wanna nap.

'Hey,' Henry said suddenly, raising his head. 'Where's Mew and Denise?'

"I've been wondering that as well," Aries said. He noticed Theophilus picking at his nonexistent split ends. "Theophilus, do you have any idea—"

I don't want to be the one to tell you, he said worriedly. I'm not good at this kind of stuff.

"What kind of stuff?"

'Theophilus, where are they?' Henry pressed, getting to his feet. 'Tell me right now.'

Okay, okay! He got to his feet too, throwing his hands in the air before letting them fall back to his sides. Around them, the people of the city rushed by under the blue blue sky, some hurrying to work and others hurrying to the Gym in search of their next Badge. The air smelled like hotdogs and cheeseburgers from the vendors next to the station and Pokémon ran down the streets when no cars were driving by, playing around and having a fun time in the occasional patch of grass. After Team Galactic, Mew, Mewtwo and I went to Team Rocket's HQ, right? Mew said it could sense Denise or something like that, and we found her, and it looked like she'd been jumped or attacked beforehand; she had some broken bones and a broken nose…probably torture…

"And?" Aries asked when he paused. Theo sighed. "Theophilus, I will look through your mind."

'And I'll beat it out of you,' Henry threatened.

She wasn't breathing, alright? Mew tried a lot of stuff but she just wouldn't…

Henry fell silent, shocked; Aries was quiet too, but only because he didn't know what to say. "Where are they now?"

Mt. Coronet. I'm not sure what Mew is trying to do exactly—

"But I think I do," he said slowly. "Henry, Theo, do you trust me?"

To some extent. Henry hesitated, then nodded.

Aries grabbed each of their shoulders and focused, pulling the three of them through the teleportation loop. With their combined mass it was iffy, but they managed to reach the sheared-off peak, albeit with an upside-down landing that nearly broke their necks (except for Theophilus, who had the feline ability to land on his feet). When Aries sat up he immediately saw Mew hovering in the air just above Denise's prone body; she looked fine and could've just been sleeping—if her clothes weren't burnt and shredded like she was struck by lightning and her chest wasn't so still. Henry was the first one over there, grabbing her hand and speaking too fast for Aries to understand. Mew turned to meet his eyes; he felt a strong tangle of emotions but swallowed them down for the moment.

You're betting a lot on a miracle, Mew, he said, walking forward.

Our lives have been nothing but miracles, however, it replied, looking at the sky. Where is Mewtwo?

Terrorizing some poor people elsewhere? I don't know.

This would be easier with its psychic aid,
    it lamented. Aries hesitated.

…I can help. Mew turned to him.

You would, even after…?

It wasn't your fault,
    he said halfheartedly. And that's not the point; it's because of us that she was involved in the first place, and now we have to fix what we've done, right?

You've matured very much, Aries,
    it said. He sighed, looking up.

Let's hope that we actually get a miracle.

There wasn't a miracle to be seen for a long while, even with Mew and Aries sending out psychic signals like fireworks, just Henry crying quietly and Theo looking disconcerted by Henry's crying and Denise's dead-ness. He looked over at Mew, who was becoming more distraught by the nanosecond, and back at Denise, and all of a sudden he was captured in the throes of riotous laughter. Henry looked at him, sniffling and angry, and Theo looked like he wanted to laugh at Aries' laugh if the situation wasn't so generally sick. Mew touched his shoulder in concern, causing him to completely double over as he cracked up.

'What's so funny?' Henry finally asked, his voice husky. Aries hit the ground hard on his behind, stretching his legs out before him and gripping his knees for support.

"I…I'm sorry; I really am," he chuckled, pressing the butts of his palms to his temples. "It's just… I just… I'm going crazy, alright? I really am. Can't take any more of this crap."

'That's the most human thing I've ever heard you said,' Henry sighed, rubbing his nose with his paws.

"Denise rubbed off on me. Oh, how I will miss her abrasive nature, her constant threats, her iron fist."

It's not nice to speak ill of the dead, Theo said.

"Oh, I'm being very candid," Aries assured him. "The hilarity only stemmed from the fact that Denise was and is the only person in the world to really like me and look where it good her—look where it got-freaking-her: a good spot in the dirt six feet under when she should be at home in Pewter with her brothers and parents, complaining about selling Fossils instead of becoming one—" He had to stop as his voice regressed into an incomprehensible sob; he covered his face with his hands, feeling hot tears slip through his fingers even so. He felt a paw rest on his shoulder.

Aries, Mew said softly, and he could feel its fur rubbing against the side of his neck.

"'m sorry," he muttered. "I shouldn't be…I'm a psychic…"

But you're also a human boy; I should have always kept that in mind. Whatever the case, there aren't any threats left, so just cry, Aristotle.

He tried, but there wasn't much besides the first few tears. He sighed into his palms, feeling his eyes burn and ache. Aries, Mew said urgently.

"I'm fine—"

Just raise your damn head, moron! Theo shouted. He dropped his hands and turned around, feeling his jaw unhinge; an iridescent staircase was suddenly in the center of the rocky ground, rising high into the sky until it disappeared into the clouds. Aries exchanged a look with everyone else; they were just as shell-shocked, if not more.

'Miracles do happen,' Henry finally said.

"Indeed," Aries agreed. "Mew, can you—" Wordlessly, Mew levitated Denise's body with them. Aries walked up the first two steps experimentally; they were clear as if glass, but they didn't make a sound at his weight, which had to be the greatest of all of theirs considering he was the only human using the steps. "Well, let's not keep the man—or stallion—upstairs waiting." Nobody appreciated his pun as much as he did, but it didn't matter; at least he wasn't being hysteric anymore.

Aries was leading the line, then Theo, then Henry with Mew and Denise. The journey was long and very quiet save for the wind and occasional passing bird Pokémon, who seemed surprised and weren't all friendly, leaving beak marks in Aries' skin. As they travelled for who-knows-how-long the ground below them became smaller and smaller until the mountain looked like a mud puddle; the sight made Aries, who had been a strong acrophobic since childhood, tremble and start stumbling on the steps.

Hey! Theophilus exclaimed when Aries fell, catching him before he sent all of them back down the hard way.

"Sorry," Aries said breathlessly, straightening up. Although they were high in the sky, he was the only breathless one, and he was the only one that was almost hyperventilating.

We're almost there, Mew said. Just don't look down.

"Why in hell would you say that!?" he exclaimed, terrified and frustrated. "That just makes me look down!" Thankfully, nobody replied to that; he had a feeling they'd be sarcastic and pretty much no help.

Finally, they came to the peak that disappeared into the clouds. Being the first one in their line, Aries was the first to walk through, and the feeling was just as peculiar as teleportation; it was as if he stepped into the ocean and came out on the other side in some sort of mirror world, a feeling that was intensified by the clouds' water vapor now soaking through his clothes. He looked around and realized he was back in the Legendaries' space, the one that looked like outer space but was brimming with natural energy. He walked forward, savoring the feeling of solid "ground" beneath his feet, and heard the others move in behind him.

That was a good shower, Theophilus commented, and Aries was unsure if he was being sarcastic or not.

'This is…?' Henry asked, confused.

The dimension of the Legendaries, Mew supplied, easing Denise into it. Or rather, one in particular.

'One in particu…?'

A little white line shone just in front of them, sort of like the Northern Star but more concentrated. Slowly, it grew a shape, getting larger and larger until it towered over all of them. Golden eyes set in grey sclera regarded them, followed by a voice Aries remembered all too well. It's been much too long, Mew, Aristotle, Arceus said, its golden hooves clicking as they hit the ground. Tears formed in Mew's large eyes as it flew in rapid circles around Arceus' legs.

Arceus—am I glad—to see you—alive! Its voice oscillated with its speed until it finally came to a stop at its head, hugging it. The scene made Aries want to laugh again; Mew was just so tiny compared to the Alpha Pokémon. It hummed thankfully before politely asking Mew to release it. (Hell, it was a helluva lot more polite than eleven years ago.) Mew did so a bit shamefully, returning to the others' side.

I've heard your call, Arceus said. Or rather, all of us had. As it spoke, several more lights of different colors formed in a circle around them, all taking shape with various noises until surrounding them were all existing Legendary Pokémon. Aries gasped; he had never seen so many in one place. Henry looked like he might have a coronary; Theo just seemed amused for whatever reason. Aristotle, it suddenly boomed, causing him to flinch, what you have done years ago—leading Pokémon Trainer Silver to us—is unthinkable and unforgivable.

He was glad he didn't have any tears left to make an idiot of himself. "I know—"

But you have also spent all of your time trying to right your wrongs, for which I and the rest of us Legendary Pokémon are grateful for. The others muttered their thanks—as much as Pokémon could mutter, anyway. And the cost hasn't been small, I see, it added, glancing at Denise.

I know, Mew said sadly. It's our fault that she was involved in the first place, so can't you do anything for her?

Even I can't revive a lost soul; you know that, Mew, Arceus said.

'But do something, damn it!' Henry shouted at him; Aries pushed him back with his hand.

"Henry, this isn't the sort of Pokémon you want to be losing your temper with—"

'I don't give a damn! Maybe you don't understand because you—don't—feel!'

…Henry, Mew said, touching his paw. Please, calm down.

'A…Alright. I apologize for shouting at you, Arceus." Arceus nodded in acceptance. 'Aries, too. I didn't mean it, but it's true.'

"Henry… I wish it was true," Aries admitted quietly. "Affection is a hard thing for me to convey, even now; I care for her—I care for all of you, in fact, and losing one of you would corrode my insides." He turned to Arceus. "Arceus, please, can't you do anything to help us? I know that I've made mistakes in the past, but Denise has done nothing wrong—she's tried to help us all, in fact, so if there is anything possible to bring her back, I'll do it; even if it's my life for hers, I'll do it!"

I can perhaps help, Dialga said. With Palkia's help, we can adjust space and time; we can revert things to a period before her passing, but also with Team Rocket and Team Galactic gone.

'Great!' Henry exclaimed, smiling in relief.

However, doing so will also require memory adjustment, it said, looking at Sinnoh's lake trio, who looked at each other.

That should be easy, yes? Mew prompted.

Well, yes, Azelf said. In itself…yes.

If time is reversed in this way, it will have to be to the point of Aristotle's entry in Pewter City, Uxie continued. However, for this to work, the past will have to be altered as well as the present.

'Meaning…?'

Mew would never have met Aries and so Aries would never have met Denise, Latias said. Consequently, Aries and Denise would not have met Theophilus, Latios continued.

So we won't remember each other? Theo asked, although it was all pretty clear-cut. Arceus nodded in response; Aries stepped forward, appalled.

"It can't end that way! All the things we've endured, all that we've done together…" He thought of meeting Denise, of Cyrus finding them, of taking Theophilus to the Pokémon Center, of encountering Silver again; he thought of how he made more friends in those past few weeks than he ever thought he would've, and of how it put an incomprehensible amount of pain on his heart and soul to think that he never would have met any of them. "Arceus, please!" he pleaded, but the Alpha Pokémon had nothing to say; what could he have said anyway? There was nothing to say at that point.

Aries, there's nothing else that can be done, Mew said quietly, and even its voice was trembling.

"I won't accept that, damn it! You're Arceus, aren't you, the greatest Pokémon? The best most powerful Pokémon that can do anything? Why can't you do this one thing; shouldn't it be easy for you?" He noticed that his hands were shaking and raised them to his temples, which gave him awareness to the noise building in his skull. "You just have to be able to do this… I don't believe that you're helpless, not now; it has to be a grudge, it has to be—"

Aries. 'Aries.' Suddenly all three of them were saying his name, and when he looked back they all appeared worried—for him. For him, of all people. Well, it figured; he was the one that was supposed to be in control of himself, not freaking out against Arceus—especially since it was damn Arceus—but didn't they care about their friendship? Or maybe…he was just being selfish. And an idiot. A selfish idiot, that was it.

"W-what do you need?"

"I almost forgot. A bit hard to remember with such a pretty girl."

"Never do that again."

"Save your life?"

"After this, Denise…because we're really going to live; I'm sure of it…we're going to hang out like real…friends, alright?"

"That's an odd way of asking, but sure."

"You're a very strange man, Aristotle."

"And you are a very…unique young lady, Denise."

He forgot to mention she was unique in a…good way. Very good way. Really, he was an idiot.

'I mean, it's all still good, right?' Henry said. 'Team Rocket and Team Galactic will still be gone, so everybody will be safe; to think of ourselves would be a little selfish after all of that, wouldn't it?'

Fair point well made, Mew agreed quietly. Theo chuckled humorlessly.

Before, all I wanted to do was forget the rest of you, he said, but now…I'm sad to know that I'm going to, alright?

"Aw," Aries grinned, throwing his arms around Theophilus. He growled and bristled but didn't push him away, which was when Henry and Mew joined in the fun, hugging each other. Although nobody spoke or thought, it was clear that the joke of a group hug actually meant a great deal to all of them. When they pulled away Aries turned his attention to Denise, lying on the ground of space; she was very pretty when she wasn't scowling, heavily contrasting her tomboyish attitude. He put his hands on either side of her face and pressed his forehead to hers, although this time there were no thoughts for him to hear.

'Aries,' Henry said, clearing his throat, but his thoughts were more like I'll kill you, you damn necrophilia bastard. Arceus was looking at them questioningly.

Do you all accept this clause?

"Yes, I believe we do," Aries smiled. "But can I ask a single favor of you, dear Alpha Pokémon?" Arceus was unamused but listened just the same to Aries' private thought.

That is doable, but it is a disappointment to all of us, it said. You could be a valuable asset as such a strong Legendary.

"Well, I'm not a Legendary," he said. "I'm a human, and it's time I act like it. Now, please."

Arceus nodded at Dialga and Palkia, who glowed blue and pink respectively as they roared. Denise was the first to vanish a la Mewtwo style—no smoke or flashing lights, just disappearing—followed by Henry, then Theo with a sad wave. Mew and Aries looked at each other and hugged.

"I shan't ever forget you, Mew," Aries murmured. "The real, caring you."

And I you, Aristotle, she murmured back before taking her place with the other Legendary Pokémon. Aries smiled sadly before he, too, disappeared.

Years
  • Author's Note: Epilogue. I think this story was posted in February, I don't know, but if so then that means I've completed twenty-four chapters of a Pokemon fanfiction! ^^ I know that there are a lot of ghost readers out there - you know, those who don't comment, just read - and even so I want to thank those guys, and even more so the ones that took the time out of their lives to read and comment on the story! I love writing a lot, so knowing that my story is appreciated (even though it's just Pokemon) is an amazing feeling for me, so I want to thank every reader from the bottom of my heart that's read the story since the Prologue up 'til now, the Epilogue.

This is also the first heavily-chaptered Pokemon fan-fiction I've ever completed, so self-applause {XD} There will be more from me in the future, so if you like my writing, wait on it!

tl;dr Thanks every reader of LEGEND - I really mean it! :)

3.0. Epilogue​

There really wasn't very much to be said of Pewter City besides the obvious—brown, rocky, and oh-so-what's the word? Oh, yeah. Oh-so-freaking-primal.

Denise thought this as she slumped over the polished glass counter of her store. She believed that a Fossil store in the archeology center of Kanto (STONE.Z, a name of her little brother's creation and not her own, otherwise it would've been a lot smarter) would bring plenty of business and allow her to break away from the family profession and travel around as a Trainer as she wanted (Trainers' expenses were quite amazing, she realized; those guys on T.V. made it seem so easy it was unbelievable) but business was so slow day-by-day that she doubted she'd make it out of there before her thirtieth birthday.

"Cari, Lucario," Henry said, pushing through the glass doors with a cardboard box balanced on his shoulder. Denise smiled at him, brushing a loose lock of dark hair from her eyes.

"Thanks Henry; is that the new shipment of Claw Fossils?"

"Lu," he nodded. She pointed to indicate a spot near the door; he set it down gently, immediately returning to her side after. She scratched behind his ear, remembering how he loved the gesture since he was a Riolu. He sighed and pushed his head into her palm.

"When are we gonna get out of here?" she murmured sadly. As if on cue, he barked as one of the daily passersby on the sidewalk approached the doors. "What is it? A customer?"

"Nope, just me," Dee said, grinning as he sauntered in. "Brother dear is here."

"You're just as cheesy as ever, Demetrius," she replied, resting her elbows on the countertop. She noticed he was wearing his PokeBall belt and scowled. "Why're you wearing that crap? I think Dad was drunk when he sewed it for you; it's all crooked and patchy and has more stitches than Frankenstein."

"I dunno; it just felt right, y'know?"

"No, I don't know; it's trashy."

"Luca," Henry agreed. Dee scoffed.

"Just wait until Dad makes you your own, then we'll both have something to laugh at huh?"

"I have your haircut from two years ago to laugh at, so I'm straight." His cheeks burned crimson.

"Anyway, how's business?" he asked, slyly changing the subject.

"Not any better than yesterday—or the day before—or the day before—or the century before," Denise said matter-of-factly. "I don't even know how we can afford all of these Fossils; we have to be spending more than we're making here."

"I don't know; Pokémon logic? Anyway, Derr and I are out to Brock's Gym; there's a new challenger there. You comin'?"

"Yeah sure, just let me lock up first. Meet you there?"

Dee saluted her before leaving. She stocked the shelves with the Claw Fossils before leaving, locking the door behind her. She turned to the street and suddenly had a strange feeling in the bottom of her stomach like something was supposed to happen. She felt Henry shove her from behind and heard a crash; when she looked over Henry was holding a steel girder up. The construction worker and his Hitmonlee above them waved apologetically as he tossed it aside.

"Lucario," he reprimanded.

"I'm sorry Henry, I just thought…I don't know, I'm sorry." She felt a sudden wind pass through, slapping a newspaper in her face; she snatched it off angrily and saw the headlines. "Hey, look, Team Rocket's disbanded after their leader died."

"Lu?" Henry said, confused as he took it from her and read the article over. She sighed, looking up.

"Today's just a really weird day, don't you think?"

——————

Giovanni's funeral was just as one would expect for a mafia leader: poorly-attended and wealthy-looking. His tombstone was shaped like a large 'R' and it was engraved with the words he left in his will: 'Silver, if you are reading this, then I'm sorry for everything.'

Silver was reading it, and frankly Silver couldn't believe the crap, but nonetheless Silver had to hide behind a Berry tree as he cried.

He waited until all two of the other people were gone before he stepped out, wiping his eyes with the handkerchief in his blazer's pocket. He looked at his dad's grave with a sigh, wondering if Giovanni was looking up at him from Hell at that moment; if he was, he was probably slitting his throat at the sight of his son bawling his eyes out.

That's a morbid thought to have about your own father, Mewtwo said, stepping out from behind the gravestone.

"How long have you been there?"

Long enough, it said flippantly. I heard the will. He gave you everything; shouldn't you be happy?

"I also gave it all up, remember?" Silver said, referring to the mass message he gave Team Rocket after he was delegated Boss. It was pretty short and sweet: 'YOU'RE ALL FIRED.' After that, the Souvenir Shop was cut off by the police, so… Maybe they did reform or something, but if they did he was done with them. "Including you, Mewtwo."

Even me, the one you created?

"Yes, even you. I'm leaving all of it behind today." He turned away, hands in his pockets, and started trudging across the dirt of the graveyard. Mewtwo gasped a little; Silver assumed that he spotted the box of his PokeBalls that he left in place of flowers. "Those Pokémon that he, Team Rocket Boss Giovanni, gave me? I'm giving them back. Only the one given to me by my father," he held up Typhlosion's PokeBall, "remains with me. I'm going to make my own team, and henceforth I'm going to walk the straight and narrow path to the Pokémon League."

Hah! Mewtwo snorted. People like us don't walk the straight and narrow without falling off the edge, Silver.

"Well," Silver said, "if I fall off along the way, at least I know I deserve it."

—Wait! It grabbed his arm psychically, forcing him to turn around; Silver stared at it before laughing.

"It's not fun on the dark side when you're alone, is it, Mewtwo?"

Sh…Shut up, Silver, it snapped, releasing him. He looked to the sky, the blue blue sky, and sighed.

"I remember long ago, I once came home crying to Dad. I'd asked my teacher if I could get a starter and she said no; I was six at the time and the age to go on a journey is ten, which seemed a lifetime away. If it was Mom…if it was her…she would've held me and comforted me; instead, it was the first time Giovanni hit me, and he berated me for acting like a baby. I don't know if he felt bad about it or what, but it was the day he gave me my Cyndaquil too.

"All of my life I'd done everything he wanted me to do; I thought that that'd make me a better son in his eyes, but in reality all that made me was a better shadow of him. I rarely even had my own name anymore; being in the papers or on T.V. I was just 'Team Rocket Boss' son'! I was just Giovanni's son, not even Silver anymore, and that was the last straw for me. I was…stupid, I'll admit that; I believed that the Legendaries were my ticket out of anonymity."

And why is it you only just have a sense of remorse?

"I always did have remorse, I just thought it was annoying," he retorted. "But now, I think that maybe it's not a pansy thing."

Not to be selfish then, but what's to become of me? Silver shrugged.

"Whatever you want, Mewtwo; I mean, you're basically a Legendary Pokémon too, so you should be with the other Legendaries, am I right?"

I don't really belong with those guys, Mewtwo said. They were created from wishes of hope; I was created to destroy.

"Just because you were taught to destroy doesn't mean you were made to destroy," Silver pointed out, causing Mewtwo to grow silent. "I have one last request of you as your master, Mewtwo."

Yes, sir? it said obediently as per habit. Smirking, Silver drew a PokeBall from his blazer, expanding it and holding it out with his finger on the button. Mewtwo caught on very quickly and, for the first time ever, genuinely smiled. Don't I get the dignity of an Ultra Ball? Silver shook his head. I don't have to do this, you know; you asked me as a master, which you're not anymore.

"Yes, but I can be something else…a friend."

Mewtwo crossed its arms over its chest and turned away; frowning, Silver put away the PokeBall. I will not insult my integrity by going into eternal servitude under you, Pokémon Passerby Silver.

"I assumed as much."

However, it continued, should you be on the precipice of life and death, call me so I can witness it.

"So, in other words, if I'm ever in trouble, call you?"

Way to put it mildly.

"Alright, alright, I got it, and I promise that this will be my last ever request for you—I'm beseeching you, if it makes it better." Silver held out his empty hand, fingers splayed; Mewtwo sniffed, indignant, and grabbed it. "To protect the world from devastation."

Arceus, not that again.

"To protect—the world—from devastation!"

To…unite all peoples within our nation, it sighed.

"To renounce the evils of truth and love!"

To extend our reach to the stars above.

"Silver," Silver grinned.

Mewtwo, it said as if it all physically hurt.

"Team Rocket…blast off at the speed…of light," he whispered, staring at Giovanni's grave again. He didn't have tears left for him, but he did have memories—boy, did he have memories—enough to make him forget that Giovanni was a bastard of a father and remember that he was one hell of an old man a long, long time ago. Mewtwo released his hand, his eyes glowing brightly.

Stay alive with all of your might, it ordered before it vanished for the last time.

——————

"Onix, use Iron Tail!"

Brock's Onix slammed his tail down on the opposing Trainer's Wartortle, who popped into her shell at the last second to soften the blow. As soon as Onix pulled away Wartortle used Rapid Spin, whirling around to slam into Onix's base; unsteadied, he trembled before falling and hitting the ground with a heavy thud that made everyone on the bleachers jump.

"Onix, get up!" Brock called. His Onix struggled to rise but the other guy's Wartortle was a lot faster.

"Bubblebeam, please." She spat a stream of bubbles in Onix's face that looked too flimsy to really do anything but left marks in his tough stone exterior. "Water Pulse now." She put her hands together and summoned dual rings of water that surrounded her body, then released them in small waves that crashed against Onix with amazing force. Onix rocked from side to side for a moment before going completely still.

"Onix is unable to continue; the winner is Wartortle!" Bill announced. Brock returned his Pokémon, smirking.

"You're quite strong," he said, switching PokeBalls. "Geodude, let's do it!" His Geodude appeared in the center of the field, face-to-face with Wartortle. "Rollout!"

"Geo!" his Geodude chanted, tucking in his arms and going into a rapid spin like a bowling ball; Wartortle couldn't avoid the first hit, spinning out until she landed on her shell still whirling around.

"Wartortle, please hang on!" her Trainer called. "Use Water Gun to blast yourself in the air!"

She rolled to her feet and did it, launching herself out of Geodude's reach, but to their surprise he used a diagonal rock like a ramp to roll into the air and slam into her unprotected head; she hit the ground shell-first, still spinning weakly. Seconds passed but she didn't get up. "Wartortle is unable to continue; the winner is Geodude!" Bill called. The Trainer returned her and swapped PokeBalls, releasing an elegant Dragonair instead.

"He has a Dragon-type at the first Gym?" Derrick asked, perplexed.

"Those are really rare," Denise said, gripping her jean-covered knees as she leaned forward.

"Luca," Henry agreed.

"He's good too," Dee added. "Maybe he was a Trainer for a while and is just entering the Pokémon League?"

"Maybe," she said thoughtfully.

"Geodude, use Rollout again!" Brock commanded. His Geodude went into position and immediately worked on clearing the distance between himself and the Trainer's Dragonair.

"Nymph," he said. Denise was struck by the name; it was really pretty, fitting for a Dragonair. "Please use Aqua Tail for me."

His Dragonair's tail was surrounded by water, and as Geodude grew close she swung it like a bat, slamming it into Geodude's face. He rolled backwards before catching himself with his hands, stilling. "Use Earthquake!" Brock shouted. His Geodude grunted as he leaned forward and slammed his fists against the ground repeatedly, causing it to tremble and shake. The other Trainer comically lost his balance and fell on his behind, causing Denise and Derrick to break out laughing and him to turn red in embarrassment. A fissure broke out in the ground right beneath Nymph, causing her to drop in. The Trainer wasn't disconcerted; in fact, he seemed sly. Denise rolled her eyes.

"Surf," he said, pointing at the fissure. Water suddenly started pouring out of the fissure, a whole lot of it, and then suddenly it gushed out with so much force it shot straight up and was repelled by the ceiling, arcing at an angle to strike Geodude directly. Denise stopped mid-eye roll and saw him get blasted into the base of the bleachers by the sheer force of it, and when the last of the water was absorbed into the dirt he hit the ground uselessly.

"Geodude is unable to continue; the winner of the battle is Dragonair," Bill said as Nymph slunk out of the hole to the Trainer's side. "The winner of the Boulder Badge is…this guy."

Brock returned his Geodude as the Trainer returned Nymph; Brock approached the Trainer and dropped the shiny Badge in his waiting palm. "Great job, really," Brock praised, shaking his free hand.

"Thank you," he replied.

"Where did you get your Pokémon?"

"A…friend," he said after a moment of hesitation. "A special one."

"Well, good luck to you in the rest of the Pokémon League." They parted ways then, with the Trainer heading for the door. Denise followed him with her eyes until Dee jabbed her side with his elbow.

"Is this a new crush I see blossoming?" he joked, slapping hands with Derrick as they laughed.

"At least I can get guys, Dee," she snapped. "Your last girlfriend had to be fed, walked, and neutered." She slapped hands with Derrick when he completely cracked up at that while Dee sulked. She laughed with him until another strange feeling struck her, something very close to what she felt earlier.

"Are you okay?" Dee asked. She shook her head to clear it, standing and climbing down the bleachers.

"I'm gonna go talk to Mom and Dad."

——————

Zoroark packs rarely moved from a hiding place, only doing so if either the protecting illusion failed or their location was compromised—in Theophilus' case, it had been compromised…by him.

He dropped down onto all fours, inhaling the scents of their old cave; it smelled like familiarity—well, what used to be familiar to him, before he got kicked out and everything. He smelled fun times with Valentine back in the day and the scent of Xavier, the oldest and wisest Zoroark in the pack…actually, his scent was real familiar for some reason…

"I don't have a name," the Zorua said, crouching down and trying to hide behind his fluffy neck fur. Xavier was old enough that he had two other Zoroark around him at all times and his red fur was silvery-white; Theo remembered it very vividly. "My Trainer, she just…called us by species…"

"By species," Xavier repeated in his tired voice, touching the Zorua's head gently between his ears. He peeked out at him, squinting fearfully. "Humans…they can't even treat Pokémon as partners, refusing to give a name."

"It's just one human though, Xavier," one of the Zoroark said; he thought her name was Lana.

"Whatever the case, this young one can't remain nameless." The Zorua raised his head at that, wagging his tail.

"R…Really, sir? I… You'll give me a name?" Xavier nodded; the little Zorua jumped on his head, burrowing in his fur excitedly. Lana spluttered, surprised, while the other Zoroark—Jason?—laughed aloud, causing Xavier to chuckle as the little Zorua crawled all over him barking excitedly.

"I…remember," Theo muttered, tracing his claws along the rough stone wall. He found it after a short while; the scratchy block letters of English, a language he still wasn't very familiar with, THEOPHILUS in ungainly writing. The PH was actually an F because he didn't understand the alphabet at the time, and Lana corrected him by scratching it out and writing the PH on top.

"Theophilus," Xavier announced within the empty center of the pack's group. "From henceforth, this Zorua will be known as Theophilus."

The other Zoroark and Zorua cheered at the sight of a new brethren; Theophilus tried retreating into his fur again, backing away from their view, but Xavier nudged him forward, back into plain sight. "Valentine, I believe he is your age," he said suddenly to a Zorua at the edge of the group.

"He is?" the Zorua, Valentine, asked, moving forward; he batted at Theo's ear lightly with his paw, causing him to bite Valentine's nose reflexively. "Ow!" he cried, backing away. "M-My nose is bleeding! Mama!" He skittered back into the arms of an older female Zoroark.

"Theophilus, it's not right to attack family," Lana said softly; he turned to her, perplexed.

"They're not family…?"

"Of course they are," Xavier said. "In this pack, we're all a family."

Theo slid down the wall until he was sitting with his back against it, feeling sad without really knowing why; probably, he missed his pack. Probably. He probably missed the old geezer and probably missed Lana, and he maybe certainly missed Valentine.

The Zorua were playing a game, although Theo wasn't sure what it was, but it involved a lot of running and skipping and biting—playful biting, not like how he bit Valentine. He sat with the Zoroark and the little Zorua, watching them run around on the grass in the sun and have fun. "Theophilus, why don't you join them?" Valentine's mom—well actually, she was his mom too now—said, nudging him forward.

"I…don't know the game," he stammered, trying to bury himself in the dirt and, when she pulled him free, her mane. She carried him over to the others, who stopped to look at her.

"Theophilus wants to play," she smiled, setting him down. Hendrix, one of the older Zorua, laughed.

"What's so funny?" Theo growled, his fur bristling.

"You're too tense dude," he replied, snickering. "C'mon, have fun; it's life." He dropped into a crouch, growling playfully and wagging his tail; Theo didn't really understand but he imitated him, growling in confusion. Hendrix laughed and the rest of them started running; Theo chased after them, finally getting their pretend hunting game. It was fun—it was a lot of fun, more fun than he had in a long time.

"Pups, it's getting late," one of the mothers called as the sun started to set. Theo and the other whined, tired but unwilling to stop. "The men caught Alomomola today!"

"Alomomola? It's so tender and sweet… I'll race you, Theophilus!" Valentine shouted before blasting ahead; Theo barked, indignant, and chased after him.

Theo sighed, standing up, which was when he became aware of another presence in the cave. Grandpa Xavier hated for us to fight.

Grandpa Xavier also warned you to be careful with your illusions, and just look at what became of you, Theophilus! Valentine hissed. There were some weird scars on his face; they weren't disfiguring or even all that noticeable, but as much as Valentine prized his appearance they were really odd.

I know…I know the mistake I made back then, Val.

You don't call me Val.

No, I…you're right, you're right as always—Arceus, you always were right, and I should've listened to you when I was obviously wrong, but I was…I was a total moron, okay? and I thought that I had it all under control, that I'd be a master on my first try, but nobody's a master on the first try! And so I… I…

What the hell do you want?
    Valentine growled, claws spread. Theophilus hung his head.

I want to…apologize, Val.

He came to a dead stop. What?

It wasn't within my rights to challenge your leadership, nor was it to attack your family. I didn't mean any of it, and although this is a really late apology, I'm extremely, very sorry.

Valentine sighed. I distinctly remember you saying you'll apologize 'when the Distortion World freezes over.'

I know, okay? but… I'm not sure what happened exactly, but I just want to clear the air between us.

That's going to take a lot more than an apology,
    Valentine said, which he expected. Then Val linked his claws with Theo's, raising them. But this is a start.

Then that means there's a finish line somewhere in sight?
    he asked hopefully. Val rolled his shoulders.

For you, brother? Yes.

Theo grinned, running his claws through his hair. Valentine nodded and started running again, but this time Theophilus was there with him, sticking together as family should.

——————

"A journey?" her mom asked as she washed dishes. She and Denise had the same tanned skin and long hair, except hers was straight and she had more lines on her face. Denise nodded, throwing her hiking backpack on the table and stuffing it with food from the refrigerator. "I thought you were still earning money for that?"

"I know—I am, but I don't know Mom, I'm getting the feeling that now's the best time for it."

"The best time for what?" her dad asked, walking into the kitchen and kissing her mom in greeting. He looked like an older version of Dee with his curly hair, light skin and freckles.

"I'm going on my Trainer's journey," she said to him. He looked between her and her mom.

"I thought you were saving for it?"

"Arceus—yes, but I just have a feeling that I should go now."

"Your feelings aren't always reliable, Denise," her mom said, wiping her soapy hands on her apron before putting them on her hips. "Remember in middle school when you had that feeling that you needed to punch your History teacher?"

"He was stalking me, I tell you!" she argued.

"Or when you had that feeling that it was a smart thing to have Derrick give you a home perm?" her dad added.

"Okay, that was dumb, but my hair grew back. Anyway, I'm eighteen, I think you guys can trust me now."

"We do, honey," her mom said, taking her shoulder to bring her closer and kiss her forehead. "And we're with you, but things will be lonely with just Derrick at home."

"I'll still visit, I promise," she said. She looked at her dad, who sighed and took his wallet out.

"I know how hard it is to change your mind, Denise, so I'll just go with this." He gave her two hundred dollars, which she stared at in disbelief. "This is for food, clothes, and whatever else you need until you can get enough from battling," he said. "Don't lose it and don't give it away, alright?"

"Alright!" She hugged him; he hugged her back awkwardly, and she kissed her mom before grabbing her backpack and rushing through the side door into the front yard. Dee and Derrick were sitting on the porch using a slingshot to nab flying Pidgey with paper balls. "That's Pokémon abuse," she pointed out. "How'd you feel if I hit your Pokémon with paper balls?"

"They wouldn't mind," Dee said with a shrug.

"Jackie is kinda slow; I don't think he'd notice," Derrick said, referring to his blockheaded Golem. "Where are you going?"

"I'm going on my journey!" she exclaimed.

"Well good luck," Derrick said, going back to shooting Pidgey. Dee actually cared enough to stand up, hopping the metal railing to face her.

"You better come back and visit," he said, giving her a one-armed hug. "Also, here." He handed her a shiny blue Badge Case.

"Is this new? Dee, I can't take this."

"Yeah, you will, and it's from the Thrift Shop," he laughed. "Just go, have fun, win them Badges and come home as Champion like those kids on T.V., alright?"

"And bring me some souvenirs," Derrick added. Denise nodded and waved one last time before rushing down the sidewalk and into the midtown area. She found Henry standing outside of the PokeMart eating a chocolate bar; she grabbed his arm, causing him to drop it, and pulled him along.

"Luca?" he asked, confused.

"We're going on a journey, Henry!"

"Lucario?"

"Yes, really!"

He exclaimed something, excited, as they reached the exit for the nearest Route. As they grew closer she saw the Trainer from earlier standing near the steps checking his Xtransceiver; he looked up just as she barreled past him, coming to a stop on the dirt path. "You're from the Gym," she said. He nodded in confirmation.

"You know…" He thought for a moment, then smiled. His smile was small and sweet but also somewhat devious. "You seem familiar."

"Yeah, you too." They paused on that awkwardness.

"Where are you going?"

"Wherever the wind takes me, I guess."

"I see." He started to walk past her before she grabbed his small wrist, bringing him to a stop. She took notice of his blond hair cut and combed neatly and his clean red shirt and jeans over new Running Shoes, but what struck her the most were his eyes; they seemed green, but each ray of light elicited another color from them. They were like a prism and almost hypnotic. "Do you…" He looked at her hand patiently; she removed it quickly, flushing. "Do you want to come with me?"

She shrugged. "I have nothing better to do." Then, "I know this sounds strange, but…it seems right to go with you."

"I get that feeling too," he agreed.

"Luca," Henry said.

"So does your Lucario."

"You can understand Pokémon?" she asked. "That's cool. Are you a psychic or something?"

He laughed softly, shaking his head. "No, I'm just a normal person, but as long as I can remember I've always been really in touch with Pokémon, you know?"

"…Yeah, I think I know what you mean. By the way, I'm Denise, and that's my friend Henry." She held out her hand; to her surprise, he held out a fist instead, which she bumped with hers.

"My name is…Aries," he smiled.

——————

Mew didn't know when it started, but one day it saw the little three-year-old sitting at the shore, stacks of books half-buried in the sand next to him. It was somewhat interesting how he such a young child reading several books with over eight hundred pages each day, but it was more interesting that unlike every other human it had ever encountered, this boy repelled its Psychic advances. It was unable to probe his mind for even the most fundamental information, and that was a source of interest for the ancient Pokémon. Never in its life had it found a human able to resist its Psychic powers, and it piqued its interest until it almost choked on it. Since that day it had taken up watching the boy, trying to discover what exactly made him so special; it never got that answer, but it did find out much more:

The boy, Aristotle, he was shy to the point of being reclusive, a little gruff because of the social skills he lacked but he was always curious to learn. He was born in Pallet Town and left Pallet Town as soon as he turned ten years old with Pokémon he received from the Pokémon Professor of Kanto, travelling across Kanto not to battle Gyms but to learn all that he could. He made friends, although they were short-lived due to his vagabond nature, and plenty of enemies, but he never was saddened by it all; he was happy on the run, and he was happy being a Trainer.

Now, today, eleven years after that, it watched the boy as he, after years of travelling and training, finally took on the Pewter Gym, and not only did he win the Boulder Badge, he also won a new friend—two, actually, with the Lucario, Henry. It smiled at his elation from the treetops before hearing Arceus' familiar demanding voice ring in its mind: Mew, you have other duties to attend to.

I'm well aware, Arceus, it said. One moment please. It spent its last moment watching Aries laugh and smile freely before passing through Palkia's portal, leaving him.

——————

"Aries?" Denise repeated. "But that's not your name; it's a nickname."

He frowned, perplexed. "How do you know?"

"I don't know; I just had a feeling." She shrugged a shoulder. "Anyway, come on; the next Gym is waiting!" She moved ahead of them, racing down the dirt path. Aries sighed, smiling, and glanced at Henry.

"Luca!" he exclaimed before following her. Aries laughed and took a step forward, stopping when he heard the crunch of paper beneath his sneaker. Puzzled, he examined it; it was a photograph of him in a heavy blue cloak he didn't own with Denise in a Pokémon Center somewhere. Henry was there too, glaring at a large grey and red Pokémon he wasn't familiar with, and a shimmer in the lower right corner of the image that may or may not have been another Pokémon. He flipped the photo over and saw writing on the back in heavy crimson ink strokes.

"'Through time, space, and mistakes, friendships survive,'" he read aloud. What? he thought, even more confused. Then he noticed a number in the corner: #493. Somehow, that made him smile and shrug it all off, folding the photo carefully before slipping it into a pocket in his PokeBall belt.

"Come on, Aries!" Denise called back to him.

"I'm coming!" he called back, chasing after them. "I'm coming."

the end

Bay

Years

Giovanni's Marowak hitting Denise and then Giovanni use the DNA machine so he can find Denise's family is pretty crazy.

Mew interaction with Leon's soul is a bittersweet scene. Mew's offer to Mewtwo at the end is also interesting.

"Well damn, call me Johnny, 'cause you're about to get Caged."

I love this line (yay Mortal Kombat reference haha). Henry's battle with Deoxys overall was very fun!

It wasn't the entire team, but it was a good fourth of it, all led by that Executive Ariana—no Silver. "Team Galactic, you're under attack by Team Galactic!" she said to Cyrus. "For dabbling in things you have no business being in, 'specially considering what's already happened to you…"

The second "Team Galactic" supposed to be "Team Rocket" I assume?

Why are we running? he hissed, kicking and flailing in the dark and rocky interior of the mountain. As soon as they solidified at the base—him, Giratina, Mew, and Mewtwo—the entire peak of Mt. Coronet vanished. There wasn't any noise or debris or anything, but it all just disappeared.

There's your answer, Mewtwo said. There was a sudden and sharp pain in Theo's head as he hit the ground, but it quickly passed, leaving him a little dizzy and nauseous. That's the end of Team Galactic, in any case.

Well! Quite the end for Team Galactic there.

Team Rocket made quite an appearance in Mt Coronet along with Mew and Mewtwo. While it would be nice if Jenson has a bit more screentime, it's sad that he died when Cyrus awaken Dialga and Palkia.

"I know that Team Rocket steals Pokémon," Denise said to him, "but do you really want to steal lives too?"

He didn't say anything, only opened the door and let the Grunts shove her in; she unceremoniously tumbled down some stairs before landing in a heap of limbs on the ground. She shook her head out and looked up just as the door shut and the wary Pikachu began sparking.

Oh no. =<

Why are you so damn happy? Theo snorted.

'Because I lived,' Henry explained. Aries couldn't check Henry's mind before a loud sound came from the Elite Four's room. 'We don't have time to waste!'

The "Because I lived" line is amusing.

I like that Aries believes Silver has some capacity to change his ways while at the same time acknowledges the stuff he did are inexcusable.

"They let you ride a bus?"

'Of course; my pass from Pewter is valid everywhere.' He produced a bus pass from somewhere in his fur and waved it around; Aries decided to drop the matter for the time being.

Haha.

She wasn't breathing, alright? Mew tried a lot of stuff but she just wouldn't…

Henry fell silent, shocked; Aries was quiet too, but only because he didn't know what to say. "Where are they now?"

Mt. Coronet. I'm not sure what Mew is trying to do exactly—

"But I think I do," he said slowly. "Henry, Theo, do you trust me?"

Oh dear (over both Denise's death and Mew trying to do something).

Good news there's a chance Denise could be brought back to life, but sad over the consequence of that happening. Aries's and Mew's goodbye... =<

Epilogue
    Silver and Mewtwo's scene was bittersweet. It was amusing they recited the motto. I also like Theo and Valentine's scene, glad the two settled their differences somewhat.

During Brock's gym battle, it's easy to figure out Aries is a trainer now. Yay he and Denise going on the journey together, and the photo Aries had found was sweet.

Congratulations on finishing your story! This has been a very fun read and glad I kept reading until the end. =) Good luck on any other writing projects you decide next!

Back