• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Lent?

Broken_Arrow

Paper Plane
Years
  • Away from the fact that it's a rule in my religion..I love fasting because it helps me understand how a hungry person feel..I fast for a few hours a day (about15 or 16 hours) while they might be forcing fasting for many days..May God mercy and strength be with them :(

Understanding others is good manners ^^

If I had to give up something for 40 days it would be Chocolate..however it's the love of my life candy since I was 1 years old lol

zakisrage

In the trunk on Highway 10
    Years
  • I don't have to start fasting until June 28, since that's when Ramadan starts. Luckily, we don't have to fast all day - just until the sun goes down. And it'll be easy this year since Ramadan is during the winter where I live. I started fasting when I was 15. Since I'm disabled, my parents let me wait to start fasting. I'm allowed to break the fast for medications.

My three best male friends (Frank, Tom, and Ashley) are all Catholic. Tom doesn't usually observe Lent (last Friday he had a bologna sandwich), but Frank and Ashley do. Frank gave up potato chips (he eats them a lot). Ashley never gives up anything.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Woah I get to give something up for 40 days? I know what vices I'll be giving up hehehe :P Am I allowed to give up my excuses not to go to the gym? xP

Years
  • Hah, religion... That's just silly.
    Sacrificing something for 40 days only? Can't you get a hold of yourself and do what you think is better for you, for the rest of your days, instead?
    This is what I think!
    As for myself, I don't really have any bad habit, so if I really had to sacrifice something in order to improve myself, I think the most apparent thing that would need to be laid down for a bit would be my ego, but I won't let that happen.

Treecko

the princess without voice
    Years
  • However, I think it's weird that the Catholic church makes you give up something you enjoy. Lent is supposed to make yourself seem better about yourself by the end. I.E. Quit Drinking, Smoking, Eating Healthier.
    The Catholic Church doesn't make you give up something you enjoy, I've always been told you give up a vice. What's a vice to one person may not be to someone else. A person could give up chocolate or junk food cause they eat too much of it and it's causing them to be unhealthy and gain weight. They never force you to do it. I think some people , however, do make Lenten sacrifices like chocolate just to give up something and really don't eat chocolate enough for it to affect them.
    Hah, religion... That's just silly.
    Sacrificing something for 40 days only? Can't you get a hold of yourself and do what you think is better for you, for the rest of your days, instead?
    This is what I think!
    As for myself, I don't really have any bad habit, so if I really had to sacrifice something in order to improve myself, I think the most apparent thing that would need to be laid down for a bit would be my ego, but I won't let that happen.

That's the point though. You give up something in you're addicted to or a vice affecting you negatively order to kick that habit and improve yourself. They do say that it takes 21 days to kick a habit so 40 days is great. A good Catholic/Christian tries to keep their Lenten promise/sacrifice even after Lent. Though of course some break their promise or slip-up accidentally now and then. Though we're all human and make mistakes of course.

mameshiba

Creepy Purple Zordon
    Years
  • For me, I was going to abstain from all carbonated drinks, but I love Mountain Dew Baja blast from Taco Bell too much. So I decided to give up all other sweets and to be more respectful to my family.

Treecko

the princess without voice
    Years
  • I'm still somewhat deciding , but I'm really considering being more spiritual and more into my faith. Lately I've been lacking in my faith. Not praying , not going to church just cause I don't feel like it, falling to temptations, being angrier with my family and just moving away from God/religon overall . It's really affected me in a way so maybe some more spirituality is needed sometimes. And then I'm wanting to give snacks/junk food and eat it less.

Back