• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Let's get started!

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    In Pokémon X and Y, we had three starter Pokémon to kick off our journey with, just like almost every other game. These guys consisted of Fennekin, Chespin, and Froakie. Of them all, which did you wind up selecting, and why? Which one is your personal favorite? Do you still have it on your team, or have you gotten it replaced? What are some things that you dislike about these Pokémon, if there's any?

Years
    • Seen Mar 28, 2015
    I went with Fennekin for a number of reasons.

It's adorable, looks like a fox and evolves into my second favourite type (psychic). It was a close call with Froakie though, as Greninja looks very cool and gets Dark typing.

Years
  • Froakie was who I chose, because I tend to mostly pick Water-type starters and I do love the whole ninja theme the line had. Had it not been for Greninja looking so awesome I would have ended up picking Fennekin, but I knew that the Water starter would still continue to win me over. And I do love how it's a pretty nice fast attacker, since that's my playing style in in-game runs.

Death

The Pale Horseman
    Years
  • I chose Froakie and gave it an everstone when it became a Frogadier. I can't seem to let my adorable frog thing evolve into a ninja frog thing.

ShiningHelioptile

Powered by Netflix
    Years
  • Chose Froakie. He had been my favorite ever since the starters were revealed, and I usually prefer the Water type. Still usually choose it since it's the best out of the three (Water Shuriken was disappointing, though :/)

Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2019
    Chespin! Chesnaught is a total, tanky beast and no one appreciates him as such. He might not be the coolest, last looking starter but he is such a fun pokemon to use. I still use him from time to time, but I've made it a point to breed a better one for competitive use.

isthatyoudan

doesn't work well with others...
    Years
  • I am an entirely appearance-based starter chooser because I don't research how the stats will change as it grows. So, for the longest time, I was going to choose Chespin. Just before getting the game, though, I saw Quiladin (no no no), and I switched to Froakie. I am now very happy with my superpowered Greninja named Frogger.

Sebastian_Sommer

Rocket grunt
    Years
  • I picked Fennekin cause it reminded me of vulpix and thought that it will evolve into an elegant looking fox. I was rather surprised by its second form Braixen and then laughed when it evolved to Delphox. I love the way it whips out its wand when attacking.

BeachBoy

S P A R K of madness
    Years
  • Fennekin, because the person next to me said it looked cute. I was going to go for Froakie, but hey, random Nuzlockes need randomness.

Fennekin didn't last long in my nuzlocke, but he was nice while he was around.

Years
  • Chespin. <3 It was too cute and one of my favorite grass types. Was hard to evolve since I didn't like its evos at all but.. still couldn't resist. Choosing Fennekin next time around.

Years
    • Seen Jul 25, 2014
    I was going to pick Fennekin until I saw what it evolved into. I ended up picking Froakie because it's the only Kalos starter line that doesn't have any badly designed Pokémon in it.

arinceo

Eat, Sleep, Pokemon
    Years
  • I have three copies, so i have begun save files with every starter, but my first was with Chespin because I had not picked a grass starter for a while.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Mar 22, 2024
    I was set on Fennekin when the XY starters were first shown, but when the full evolutionary lines were revealed, Froakie beat the other two by a mile with its cool ninja evolutions.

Years
  • Chespin is my favorite of them. I picked it in my main copy of X, and it's the only time i've chosen the Grass starter in any of my main games. I've only picked it once other than that, and that was in my initial X Wedlocke (the Pokémon Center restrictions + Set mode run back in December that brought me to the verge of losing my mind and led me to terminate it in the middle of Victory Road). I like it myself design-wise the most, even if its special stats aren't top-notch.

Froakie i've used twice - in a Dark Monotype, where it did me pretty good for what it had. The other was my second X Wedlocke (an item restrictions one), where it survived to the end. Its Speed did me very well, and the Dark-type came in handy more than once. But I like Greninja's pre-evolutions more than it itself, but still pretty useful (had a Modest nature in that challenge, so it hit hard with special attacks).

Fennekin is the one i've used the least - in my first play of Y (a normal playthrough) and my Red Mono-Color, it had a bit to utilize but I wasn't the biggest fan of it. Probably my least favorite of them.

But in all honesty I really like all three of these starters, probably my favorite batch of all six generations.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
  • I went with Froakie first because I disliked its final stage the least out of all of them. It was pretty fun to use, though, even if its design is not one of the best imo. Out of the base starters only, I still think Chespin is the cutest. <3

Back