• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Let's get started!

Shrew

is a Shrew
Years
  • I chose Chespin. It's an adorable widdle brown chipmunk wearing a green helmet. The final evolution was also the most impressive to me. :) It has a very new look yet it still is the most impressive. I was close to choosing Fennekin, though!

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I wound up choosing Chespin in my first run, as it seemed the cutest to me. Was quite satisfied with its evolution, to be honest; for my team, it was able to play quite well. Its defenses were pretty big, which allowed it to withstand many hits. Plus, it had a variety of attacks in its arsenal, so coming up with move-sets were nearly limitless.

In my second go, I chose Froakie. I've yet to start off a game with Fennekin, but will get it done at some point in future, I'm sure.

Years
    • Seen Mar 8, 2019
    I went with froakie only because i like pure offense as my strategy kinda dumb but hey i like it. Blue is my favorite color and froakie although it didnt have protean yet i used it to get used to the pokemon and down the line i got a protean froakie on my team

Raikou

bolt-action thunder
    Years
    • NY
    • Seen Nov 12, 2015
    I went with Fennekin. As soon as I saw it, I knew that I'd wind up picking it. I absolutely adore foxes and with it being a fire type, that just sealed the deal. I really love the whole evolution line.

When I finally got Y, I started with Froakie. I'm just not big on water types or grass types. Greninja just doesn't appeal to me (unless it's the super rad XY tcg card lolol) and Chesnaught makes me think of big burly football players. I can't take it seriously at all. XD

Years
  • I picked a Froakie, mostly because I always pick a water started no matter what one my first play through. My Greninja was in the team when I beat the pokemon league for the first time but soon got replaced by my second Greninja which had protean, female and Spanish. But overall Greninja is a good looking pokemon and, well, is a ninja ^^

Arceus Whisper

Shiny Hunter
    Years
  • Despite choosing the grass starter as my first starter in all the other games I chose Fennekin, really glad i did. Delphox is a beast. I chose Fennekin because I really don't like the look of the other starters too much. When it started learning psychic moves I got really excited. In my second play through I chose Chespin, because grass types you know.

Jarachie

Shocking, isn't it?
    Years
  • I picked fennekin, because 1: When I first saw it I seemed compelled to pick it,
    2: I wanted to make sure I didn't haft to get a starter and replace it later with a better nature, and since I didn't know what the stats where I went for the pokemon with the best obvious nature.(I ended up replacing it still because I realized a speed nature would of been the best.)
    3: Its a fox, foxes are adorable case closed.

Have I any dislikes for the starters? No not really. At first I didn't like froakie but it grew on me (Delphox still rules) but what I don't like is its hidden ability, protein, it makes whatever moves type its own type before it uses, first off OP, second Greninja was meant to be a water type starter, and giving it an all around S.T.A.B. (same type attack bonus) really made it lose its coolness of a water/dark ninja.

Jasonmii

Der Kaffee geht auf mich.
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Ohio
    • Seen Jan 23, 2015
    On my old save I chose Chespin. This little guy is awesome on so many levels. He is, in my opinion, the best grass starter. He holds up pretty well in battle, too. I still have trained one from my old save that I use often in battles.

Years
    • Seen Aug 3, 2014
    Went with froakie because it was the least ugly looking.

Seriously though, there can't really be much of a thought process behind picking 1 of 3 pokemon

Years
  • Like many others, I was going to pick Fennekin but when I saw what they all evolved into, switched allegiance immediately to Froakie's line. Plus, Ash's Froakie endeared me to it even more lol :)

Also, a major reason for me picking Froakie (which I nicknamed Froggles for some reason lol), was down to the legendary bird I'd get as a result. As soon as I knew it was my favourite, Moltres, Froakie was really a no-brainer lol :)

I've grown to like Chespin a teensy bit though due to someone trading me a shiny one on Wonder Trade - when I was training it up to see what shiny Chesnaught looked like I had to admit that the shiny colouration made me like its design a lot more :)

Back