• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Let's Go to the Mall... Today!

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
Years
  • Calm down Nica this isn't a spam thread of Robin Sparkles...

As you all should know, Unova is the first region with the mall on a Route and not on one of the top two cities of that region. Unlike Kanto's department store in Celedon City, Johto's department store in Goldenrod City, Hoenn's department store in Lilycove City and Sinnoh's department store in Veilstone City, Unova's mall is found on Route 9. Other differences to the others include: calling it a mall instead of a department store, having all the floors under one big roof instead of separate floors and there are also battles.
    Let's Go to the Mall... Today!
    How do you feel about a mall being found on a route and not a major city?

Do you like the name mall instead of department store?

Last edited:

chaos11011

[untitled]
    Years
    • Age 27
    • MA
    • Seen May 4, 2021
    How do you feel about a mall being found on a route and not a major city?
    Pretty unique, though I don't really mind. The one thing that really bites is the lack of stuff to do inside the "mall", being so late in the game and all. Well there still is the access to changing Rotom's forms, but that's it really :/

Do you like the name mall instead of department store?
    I didn't event notice! I just call the "mall" Convenience Store, internet cookie for those who get the reference. ;D

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    I think it was really out of place and should've been found in a city tbh. :x Like really, with all those bikers hanging around? D:

As for the name? I don't mind really, since either way apparently works.

Years
    • Seen Jun 19, 2011
    Well, When it is in a route instead of a city, it's pretty inconvenient since you have to go through the connector between the city and the route.
    And I actually didn't notice that it is called a mall at all throughout my play-through.

Years
  • I don't mind it not being in a major city (although I was sure it'd be in Castelia!)
    But I'd prefer it to be called a department store rather than a mall. It doesn't look very mall-like.

It's also the only place in the game with Pokemart music!! (as all the others are in Pokemon Centers with that music!)

-totodile42

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
  • I'm more disappointed in the lack of a game corner than anything pertaining to the Dept. Store. XD

It being in the middle of Rt.9 doesn't feel as odd as it would appear on paper, mainly because of its close proximity to Opelucid City, and the "mall" vs. "dept. store" semantics thing, it feels more like a mall than the old dept. stores did, but it's still decidedly a dept. store. XD

JP

wut?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 13, 2019
    A shame there weren't any pubescent mall-rats hanging around... like in so many malls these days.

I liked it, though it's true that it doesn't feel like much of a mall. They should have made it muuuuch bigger haha.

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Oct 24, 2022
    I think it was really out of place and should've been found in a city tbh. :x Like really, with all those bikers hanging around? D:
    That, really. I didn't like much of anything about it. It was short, not really anything like a mall (I would have been perfectly fine if it were anywhere at all if it was really as big as a real mall but nooooo) and I was kind of upset about the lack of effort it seemed to show. Cool, we change change Rotom's formes here! ...and that's about it. :/

Starrodkirby86

Das Kirby
    Years
  • I thought it was rather clever with the name of Shopping Mall Nine, or rather the phrase the clerk said. Gave a smile that they joked with the German, "Nein" with the name, hehe.

Albeit it was small, and the only thing I use for it now is to buy legions of vitamins to pump up my Pokémon when I'm EV training. Oh, and not to forget the Rotoms!

I prefer it being called a Mall than a department store though. Gave that sense of urbanization and modernization unlike the other generations.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • How do you feel about a mall being found on a route and not a major city?: To be honest, I was surprised when I learned about that. I would've liked it if it was in Opelucid or Castelia.

Do you like the name mall instead of department store?: I don't really mind.

What's neat is that there are battles in there.

Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2024
    No, I definitely did not like this. Malls are usually in town or near other stores in town or on big highways or something, but I guess it can be on a route, which is why they named it a mall rather than a department store. I would've liked it if it was in Nimbasa City rather than being in the middle of a route, though. I didn't find it fitting. :(

Rai

Quarter Life Crisis! @.@
    Years
  • It certainly didn't live up to my expectations. I thought it would be much bigger and have a lot more to offer. It is rather small and didn't have much out of the ordinary.

It is really in the middle of nowhere. If it were real I would never go to it because it would be extremely out of the way of everything and I wouldn't feel comfortable with all of those grown men hanging around it all the time.

The only thing I did like about it was that everything was in the same room. There was no annoying elevators or floor changes.

Gulpin

poisonous
    Years
    • Seen Jan 16, 2017
    I think that it not being found in a major city but an urban route a neat thing to try. I don't think it is extremely out of place because the route is right before a big city, and located next to a huge bridge and other things that makes it more urban than other routes. I think the name is pretty cool too, and more Americanized than the department stores, because when I think of shopping in the US I think of the Mall of America, not a large dept. store. One thing I don't like about it is how it seems smaller than the dept. stores, when it really isn't.

Pkmn Trainer Touko

King N's Queen
    Years
  • It actually took me months to realize it was there LOL I would always just go right by it! Then one day I asked myself, why doesn't Black/White have a Department Store?!?! And I looked it up and I'm like OHHHH there IS one!!!!! I felt like such a derp for not noticing it.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • It was disappointing. It felt too cramped with everything out there in the open and not on (completely) separate floors and the location on some random route is just weird. You don't have to be an economics major to know that putting a huge shopping center in the middle of some rural area is not going to generate enough business for it to be feasible. These places are typically found in cities because there's enough people in the area who will shop there and keep the money flowing in.

It also doesn't help that bikers and roughnecks pretty much have full run of Route 9 and likely harass potential shoppers right in front of the place o_0

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
    Years
  • It never really occurred to me that it was in such a random place at first, although now that I think about it, it was completely illogical. =/

As for the name, I find it odd that they used the American name for it in a game that is originally Japanese, unless the Japanese also call it a "mall" when translated, but it wasn't really anything I really noticed.

Back