• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Let's Gush for Ghetsis!

Trickori

A Gen 5 Hipster
    Years
    While N is my gen 5 husbando forever...his adoptive papa could easily be my evil "mistress" (is there a male version of a mistress? o.o because he'd be my one-of-those)

Those who really know me know I LOVE a good villain. No, I would not be IN LOVE with said villain, but a good antagonist really drives the story and in the story of pokemon, Ghetsis is easily the best evil team leader. His motives are realistic and well developed, the execution of his plans were methodical and cunning and I was actually shaking in fear while fighting him in Black.

Not only that but his character actually changed and developed in Black 2 -- making him one of the most mulch-dimensional characters in a franchise that is, arguably, in dire need of such characters.

Sorry, had to gush for Ghetsis, anyone else think highly of Gen 5's bad, bad man?

pkmin3033

Well, he's no Cyrus in terms of villainy - destroying all of creation and remaking it in your own image is a tad more evil than just plain conquering a single region - but I quite liked Ghetsis; he served as an interesting enough antagonist for the Unova games. He had enough presence to be more than the standard background figurehead, and he had a certain charisma to him. Again, not quite on Cyrus' level, but I'd say he ranks an easy second.

I especially liked how ragged and crazy he was in Black 2; for some reason, it made me giggle. Then there's his battle theme. I still can't decide whether I love or hate that theme...

Trickori

A Gen 5 Hipster
    Years
    Well, he's no Cyrus in terms of villainy - .

I actually disagree -- but I think the degree of villainy between them is really narrow because Cyrus would be my number 2. I think what puts 'ol Ghetsy in my number 1 spot for villainy is he's the kind of villain I tend to gravitate to.

Are his ambitions as grand and all-encompassing as Cyrus? No. But how he goes about executing his plans is just plain EEEE-VIL. Cyrus wanted to make the universe a better place, in his mind, Ghetsis wanted to disarm the public, manipulate impressionable, good people -- twisting their good natures for his own ends and even using/abusing his own family (whether N be adopted or blood, still family)

I think the manipulation of team Plasma, N, and N's 'sisters' puts Ghetsis higher on the villain-o-meter for me.

Either way, both are top notch villains. This is essentially like arguing whether cake or pie is more delicious.

Last edited:

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
    Years
    Okay, so let me just make this clear:
    Cyrus is nowhere near evil, he's just misguided and antisocial. Ghetsis is quite possibly the only team leader that I would claim as truly evil. He's like politician level of evil. Cyrus actually has good intentions. He thinks the world is flawed and needs to change, much like N actually, wheras Ghetsis has purely selfish motives. He literally is doing everything so he can be the most powerful person in Unova. Which is why he's my favorite <3

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    I was surprised Wilhelm didn't make this thread honestly! Anyway, Ghetsis, I felt, was actually a pretty scary leader for once. Like Wilhelm said, Cyrus was severely misguided, and this can also be said about Archie, Maxie, and Lysandre. Those are all crazed lunatics. Ghetsis at least was generally pretty poised and calm, which are the ones to really be feared, honestly. Because you never know when they're going to snap.

And Dennis.

Years
    VOTE GHETSIS 2012! I MEAN, 2016! 2016!!!

That said, while finding out that his liberation claims were a cover-up may not have been the hardest thing out there, I doubt too many saw that coming. We also felt that N was Ghetsis' son in the first games, and until B2W2 there were several implications. I was incredulous to believe that N was actually Ghetsis' son, and one of the sages says he's not even sure about that thought - turns out he was right. Then in Black 2 and White 2, he actually goes so far as to attempt to freeze the player with Kyurem. But you want to know the best part of it? N saving you with Zekrom/Reshiram was actually part of his plan so he could use Absofusion.

And let's not get to battling him, in BW I would honestly go so far as to call him the second hardest battle in the series (only behind Cynthia), if only for that unfathomably bad disaster that is his Hydreigon. That thing has such massive coverage and is extremely fast, and having max IVs in every stat only makes it worse. You NEED to be prepared or it WILL sweep your team before you can blink. Bouffalant and Eelektross don't help. In Black 2 and White 2, that Hydreigon was disappointing in comparison, but it was still a very cool fight even if his team was downgraded.

Yeah, just my take here.

Trickori

A Gen 5 Hipster
    Years
    I actually like the fact his team was weaker in B/W 2 as it is indicative of his shift in character. In the first games he held all the cards, he pulled all the strings, and he was in total, terrible control. His resources were vast, so he could field a team that could wreck your sh*t.

But in the second game he was a desperate old man, clinging to the remnants of his failures. While his guile and trickery (trickori? mwahaha) was still intact, he was slipping and so was his team. Though the character didn't know Ghetsis, the player DID he or she knew what to expect so that battle was different; it was more like putting down an old dog than fighting a terrible unknown and from a narrative standpoint it's SO AWESOME!! :D

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
    Years
    The only reason I knew Ghetsis was the bad guy in the games was Japanese spoilers >.< Still upset about that lol. It was still a good reveal though.
    But you want to know the best part of it? N saving you with Zekrom/Reshiram was actually part of his plan so he could use Absofusion.
    Yes, it was pretty cool that even when Ghetsis is forced to play the mad villain, he's still a manipulative bastard!

Oh yeah, and can we calk about the fact that he's still out there in the games? There's potential for him or N to show up in future games since neither of them are in police custody.

Nakala Pri

He is the evillest, awesomest, devilish and cunning old badger mastermind there is. >:D

Everyone else had unrealistic dreams that really had no backbone, and they seemed like they watched too much James Bond. Their plans relied on chance, but this dude... he had goals... and a crazy mind to put the wheels in motion. (is he my real dad?)

He is my favourite antagonist in all of the games I have ever played, due to his manipulative skills, awesome cape and sexy son crafty schemes. >:^D

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
    Years
    I think it's safe to say that everyone agrees that he's the most realistic representation of evil in a Pokemon game. He isn't some exaggerated melodramatic villain with obscure goals, just like the above said. True evil comes in the face of the manipulators, who can often be more scary than serial killers and fanatics. Ghetsis is the only villain to remind us what's out there and to tap into real world fears people have, even if most kids who play the game probably can't appreciate that, those of us who know the world more can actually see how bad this guy is. I bet all of you hated Ghetsis the first time through, because of this politician cutting a little close to home for us.

Years
    • Seen Nov 4, 2017
    Ghetsis always is at the top of the list when it comes to Evil. I was pretty sure Ghetsis was also for "Pokemon Liberation". Once I reached the end of the game I was pretty surprised. He fooled everyone all along just to get what he wanted. He took N in just for his ability to help him rule the Region. Even Team Plasma was fooled by their own leader. Ghetsis got even more Evil in BW2. He got a Scientist to try and make a device to bring out the true power of Pokemon. Orders Ninjas to go around attacking the hero/Heroine. Captures a The Legendary Pokemon Kyurem that eats people! Uses the Pokemon's power to freeze an entire city. Almost kills the Hero/Heroine with Kyurems power but are luckily saved by N. Fuses 2 Legendaries together causing them great pain. And, uses that fusion against you to try and finish you off. HE IS THE GREATEST VILLAIN IN POKEMON!

Seriously no one else compares to him. We need more villains like Ghetsis. >:)

Years
    And let's not get to battling him, in BW I would honestly go so far as to call him the second hardest battle in the series (only behind Cynthia), if only for that unfathomably bad disaster that is his Hydreigon. That thing has such massive coverage and is extremely fast, and having max IVs in every stat only makes it worse. You NEED to be prepared or it WILL sweep your team before you can blink. Bouffalant and Eelektross don't help. In Black 2 and White 2, that Hydreigon was disappointing in comparison, but it was still a very cool fight even if his team was downgraded.

That Hydreigon is always a nightmare to me, but I'm just so surprised it had no Dark STAB moves in B/W for some weird reason, and he has quite a strong team all around so he's quite a challenge in itself. While its moveset in B2/W2 is quite a downgrade, he does still have some threatening stuff on his team. That Eelektross in particular was so hard to take down with its lack of weaknesses.

He's an ass to me. Probably one of the most evil characters of them all! Poor N. :(

I have to say that I really felt sorry for N when Ghetsis was yelling at him shortly before the battle. But what I enjoy about his character is that he is probably one of the most downright evil villains Pokemon has ever brought out, and Azazel's post sums that up well.

I feel like most of the main villains didn't give off that impression of being truly evil, and that's what I liked about Ghetsis in that he definitely made me shake when I played Black for the first time. It's why I find him such a memorable villain.

Winter

[color=#bae5fc][font="Georgia"]KAMISATO ART: SOUME
    Years
    He reminds me of modern-day Machiavellian villains. Echoing the majority of this thread, he's manipulative, malicious and definitely had a thoroughly brainstormed strategy. Nobody else in the game world tries to take away your life. Nobody actually caused the fusion of two legendary Pokemon into a cataclysmic machine. But Ghetsis. His team was a pushover in the sequels but that still doesn't discount anything from how it was set in BW, and we all know that in-game team strength means nothing (Look at Team Magma using Magcargos and Camerupts that could be washed away with like a Lotad's Water Gun or something.)

Ghetsis' get-up was so anachronistic and WTF that it kinda adds either comedy or just that fear of the unknown. Because at first glance, you have zero idea of what you're going to expect from such a villain.

Back