• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Let's talk rap.

FrankOcean

OFWGKTA ALL DAY
Years
  • Yeah, Rap is my favorite genre. I don't care what kind of Rap it is I'm listening to as long as it sounds good.

Lately I've been obsessed with OF though. I started listening to them about 2 years ago and have been hooked.
    But yeah, my favorite rappers are Nas, Common, Public Enemy, Flying Lotus, Warren G, Nate Dogg, The Game, Eminem, Hodgy Beats, Earl Sweatshirt, Childish Gambino.

EQUALSGAMER

Proud user of Garbodor
    Years
  • I like rap but mainly not serious rap usually rappers who don't take themselves that seriously like George Watsky. Others i listen to are Bo Burnham, (if you count him) Epic Lloyd, Hoodie Allen, Destorm, ERB ( Epic Rap Battles) and the only serious rapper i listen to is Mac Miller but compared to others he is kinda silly.

FrankOcean

OFWGKTA ALL DAY
    Years
  • I like rap but mainly not serious rap usually rappers who don't take themselves that seriously like George Watsky. Others i listen to are Bo Burnham, (if you count him) Epic Lloyd, Hoodie Allen, Destorm, ERB ( Epic Rap Battles) and the only serious rapper i listen to is Mac Miller but compared to others he is kinda silly.

If you're a fan of silly rappers you should def give Three Loco a listen. Andy Milonakis, Dirt Nasty, and RiFF RAFF spit some silly **** at times.

Years
  • When rap is talking about something important or about experience (and actually sounds good) it is great. But like we have all said there are too many "rappers" with no flow or musicality or decent material. Sometimes bad rappers can have a few decent songs (I hate Lil' Wayne mostly but I like Drop the World for example). The real problem though isn't with the rappers it is with the industry and the public who tolerate mindless junk on the radio, hell most people swear by it.

ShinyUmbreon189

VLONE coming soon
    Years
  • When rap is talking about something important or about experience (and actually sounds good) it is great. But like we have all said there are too many "rappers" with no flow or musicality or decent material. Sometimes bad rappers can have a few decent songs (I hate Lil' Wayne mostly but I like Drop the World for example). The real problem though isn't with the rappers it is with the industry and the public who tolerate mindless junk on the radio, hell most people swear by it.

Yea your correct about the music industry. Immortal Technique went over this many times' Immortal Technique is an underground rapper. What the music industry does is they sign people but screw them over. Put it in this perspective. Say I'm an underground rapper and sign onto a label. What's gonna happen is that I'm gonna have a whole 20 song album writtien out and recorded. What the industry does is bash it, change the way you flow, the beats, everything. The thing is that my stuff sounded better, they're stuff sounds like junk. That's what all the industrys do. They don't care about the people that's signed with them. All they want is money. Underground industries like Strange Music (Tech N9ne) and Funk Volume (Hopsin and Swizzz) they care about they're homies signed with them and they let the rapper decide how they're gonna do this and do that, and how they're music is gonna sound.

Years
  • Wale is the best. Ennddddd ooooff discuusssssioooonnn. If you've heard Attention Deficit or Ambition you'll understand why.

Title track off of Ambition. My favorite song by Wale so far I think. One of my favorite Rap songs ever, even.

(warning language)

Meek Mill, Rick Ross, Drake, Kanye, Lupe Fiasco, Common, Asheru, MGK, etc etc are also very good. Not really big on lil Wayne. :/

Last edited:

YungKnowledge

Kigo & Jori Shipper
    Years
  • I still listen to a lot of rap but mostly unknown and underground. I do love me some Odd Future, Mc Frontalot, and Starlito. Old School Rap and Hip-Hop is still what I'm blasting through my radio a lot of the time. Favorite old school rappers, Method Man, Red Man, Tupac, Common, Biggie, and DMX.
    I'm really at the point where I wanted just ban Nicki Minja from the radio. Their better female rappers out there Triana, Iggy, and Remy just to naming a few.

Flydro

doobz
    Years
  • Didnt expect to find a rap thread here on PC, but thats whats up. Rap is mainly what I listen to because growing up thats mostly what I heard. I grew up listening to the classics Pac and Biggie, Bone Thugs, Snoop, etc. and still play them to this day of course. But mostly I listen to southern rap since thats where I'm from. On the regular I listen to Curren$y and the Jets, B.G. (free him and free Boosie too lol), and Jeezy just to name some off top. I used to be a big Lil Wayne fan back in the day and I still am even though I really dont listen to or keep up with his music too much anymore. I just don't like what he's doing with his music right now, all this skateboard Trukfit mindless rap isnt what I'm feeling. I really kinda just stopped bothering with him after Carter 4 disappointed me, and I heard Dedication 4 thought it was average, nothing surprising since he never raps about anything new. I can always play some old Wayne though back when his lyrics werent so childish like they are now. And I also dont like where YMCMB in general is headed.. I feel like Wayne is holding a lot of the artists back. I used to hear mixtapes from Gudda and Jae Millz pretty often when they came on the scene, now I don't hear them at all. I say Tyga has improved a lot though, dude came a long way from putting lime in coconuts haha. Drake is becoming another Wayne I think, they both should go back to rapping how they used to. I feel like a lot of rappers in general are just too comfortable with where they're at and their lyrics dont mean anything anymore...which is why I never listen to the radio.

But on the other hand a few of these newer rappers I've been listening to sound promising. One of my friends got me listening to A$AP Rocky bout a year ago, and lately Kendrick Lamar has been making some major moves. Also that new Curren$y mixtape (Priest Andretti) that he just dropped is def on pointtt... Sorry if I ranted about Lil Wayne and YM a lil too much though yall, I talk rap with my friends all day and this is the kinda stuff I like to talk about.

Blaze42

The Spirit of Chaos
    Years
  • I personally dislike it. I find it somewhat annoying, many rap songs are plain mean spirited, and I just don't like listening to it. But, hey what do I know. My favorite musician died in 1925.

The Grubby Pup

Where's mah shiny squeaky ball
    Years
  • Do you guy's just like rappers with an up-beat or do you like "real" rappers with good lyrics? Every mainstream rapper you hear on radio can't flow. I wouldn't classify Young Jeezy as mainstream because he barely get's any radio time. I'm talkin about whack rappers like Lil Wayne, Gucci Mane, Rick Ross, Waka Focka Flame, etc. They got good beats but suck at rapping. All Lil Wayne raps about is how he fked a girl last night, or how much money he makes, hoes, etc. Waka Flocka sucks too. He only raps about women too. If you want real rap stop listening to the radio go on youtube and type in any of these artist. Tech N9ne, Immortal Technique, Hopsin, Elzhi, Nas, Biggie, Eazy-E, Young Jeezy, Krizz Kaliko, Mos Def, Brother Ali, 2Pac, Bone Thugs-N-Harmony, Eminem (STAY AWAY FROM NEWER STUFF HE IT'S JUST NOT HIM ANYMORE), Yelawolf, older T.I. stuff, Ice Cube, Kid CuDi, DMX, Busta Rhymes, etc. Thats the definition of rap.
    Hold up...Waka Flocka raps? Strange...Whenever I hear him...

this:

But seriously, I do like rap. I mean, it's one my favorite types of music. Lupe Fiasco, Kid Cudi, Kanye West, Jezzy, TI, (Paper Trail was dope) Outkast, Redman, Method Man, Trick Daddy, DMX, Bone Thugs, 2pac were a few of my favorite.

The Grubby Pup

Where's mah shiny squeaky ball
    Years
  • Yea he actually raps. The song No Hands is a good example. I personally hate him cos he sucks but I hate every Hollywood rapper.
    Mmm...I forgot about No hands. But that prolly was around the time he first came out. Some rappers just sell out once they come from underground and make it big. Wiz and 50 is a pretty good example of this. But not all of their songs are bad...tho.

*ahem*
    Watch Kazam
    that is all
    :)
    *runs and hides from raging rap fans*
    what the hell? Kazaam?! You know you were wrong for that. LOL

Years
  • Haha I'm so evil XD
    In all honesty though Kazam isn't THAT terrible....the movie is decent, it's the rapping that's full of crap, and I don't know anything about real rapping ._.

I mean I don't know anything about lyric writing but seriously "let's green egg and ham it" ??! SERIOUSLY?? o.o

And people think my lines are lame....

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    Rappers of today that are actually making their own unique movements for me are Azealia Banks and Kendrick Lamar. Both are absolutely amazing and do more artistic things with their voices than just rhyming. Even if their music isn't necessarily of substance like some people think all music requires, they bring something completely new to the hip-hop world, while also bringing back great influences from past great acts in the genre.

Back