• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Lick

Tyranee

Can't read my Poke'-face!
Years
  • Why is it a ghost type move? Also why does it cause damage or even paralyze and why can some Pokemon do it while others with tongues can't? Discuss the reasoning behind this. I think Lick should be a normal type move that just paralyzes. It shouldn't really do damage at all.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 28, 2019
    I agree with you. I've always wondered why it was, I mean other Pokemon have tongues and they could lick, so why would it be a ghost thing? So if a another Pokemon licked you, that would make them part ghost or something? :x

Cataclysmic

A New Adventure
    Years
    • Seen Jun 13, 2015
    Maybe it's a reference to Boo from the Mario series.
    Lick

Lick

deoxys121

White Kyurem Cometh
    Years
  • What I think it was made Ghost-type for was to give the Ghost-type more meaning. In the first generation, there were only two damaging Ghost-type moves, Lick and Night Shade. Night Shade inflicting damage equal to the user's level, this made it impossible to take advantage of the fact that Ghost was strong against itself. However, they could have just made a couple more moves, in my opinion. Same with the Dragon-type, considering the only Dragon-type move was Dragon Rage, which does 40 damage regardless of anything.

Tyranee

Years
  • What I think it was made Ghost-type for was to give the Ghost-type more meaning. In the first generation, there were only two damaging Ghost-type moves, Lick and Night Shade. Night Shade inflicting damage equal to the user's level, this made it impossible to take advantage of the fact that Ghost was strong against itself. However, they could have just made a couple more moves, in my opinion. Same with the Dragon-type, considering the only Dragon-type move was Dragon Rage, which does 40 damage regardless of anything.

So you're saying it was a first gen thing? makes sense. At least ghost types now have a much wider move pool.

Tyranee

Years
  • Yep. They also should have given the Dragon-type a wider move pool in the first generation, or at least made Dragon Rage a move that actually does damage like any other move.

Perhaps they were afraid of either type being overpowered.

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
    Years
  • Well, ghosts have superpowers... maybe they're transferring those ghostly powers through their tongue.

miju-kun

soaring
    Years
    • Seen May 28, 2014
    Actually, Lick paralyzes because the tongue is sticky xDD
    (I think....)

Tyranee

Years
  • Actually, Lick paralyzes because the tongue is sticky xDD
    (I think....)

The paralysis probably comes from the Pokemon getting licked being so uncomfortable with what just happened that it can't move. Pretty sure I saw something like that is the show.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Agreeing with the above posters, Lick is a Ghost move because the tongue is covered in saliva sticky enough to cause paralysis.

Tyranee

Years
  • Agreeing with the above posters, Lick is a Ghost move because the tongue is covered in saliva sticky enough to cause paralysis.

If it comes from a substance on the tongue, what makes it ghost? Shouldn't it be treated maybe as a grass type move like stun spore? Even possibly a poison type move.

Years
  • Yeah, Lick doesn't look Ghostly at all.

And some Pokemon with long tongues can't even Lick.

I get the paralysis thing, though.

Back