• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Life on other Worlds?

♣Gawain♣

Onward to Music!!!
    Years
    Really? Cause on earth we do have bacteria that east rock. And from my knowledge, bacteria is life as well.

I forgot to mention intelligent life forms. Anaerobic bacterias can live without air, but subsist on chemicals on water.

Interesting! I wish we could learn more about it.

Imagine if we sent a spaceship traveling 2 000 000 m/s from earth and it collides into something haha.

But if all speed is relative, shouldn't the spaceship be able to continously accelerate, eventually past 2 998 000 m/s relative to the earth, past the speed of light?

But too bad, even if a spaceship reachers Gliese, it'd never be able to communicate with earth. =[

Earth and Gliese are related in that our solar systems both orbit the black hole in the centre of the Milky Way, but relation is like... way beyond the time we little human lives deal with. Maybe the studies into dark matter can reveal new, faster connections, humanly useful connections between Gliese and Earth.

Darn! How will we conquer our Galaxy!? XDDD Hehe!

That's the real danger on speed of light travel. But the distance between large objects in space is so large. Even our nearest star system is very far, 4.3 light years from Earth

The theory of relativity of Einstein doesn't permit F.T.L. travel. Which explains the superluminous velocities of some quasars.

We will conquer the galaxy in 100,000 years! LOL

Last edited:

s0nido

turn up the engine
    Years
    So maybe we haven't actually seen any life on other planets besides Earth, but that's only because we lack the ability to fly beyond our solar system. The only object we have sent beyond our solar system is the Voyager space probe, and we're going to lose contact with it by the year 2020, at which point it wouldn't have gone far enough to have reached even another star. Therefore, there isn't any evidence to conclude that there isn't any life outside of our solar system, but neither is there any evidence to conclude that there is. Yes, people say that the universe is too large for us to be the only life forms that exist, but it's not impossible for that to actually be true.

22sa

ロミオとシンデレ? ?? �� �� �� �� �� �� �� ��
    Years
    I forgot to mention intelligent life forms. Anaerobic bacterias can live without air, but subsist on chemicals on water.

That's the real danger on speed of light travel. But the distance between large objects in space is so large. Even our nearest star system is very far, 4.3 light years from Earth

The theory of relativity of Einstein doesn't permit F.T.L. travel. Which explains the superluminous velocities of some quasars.

We will conquer the galaxy in 100,000 years! LOL
    1 year = 31 556 926 seconds.

An object accelerating at 30 (m/s)/s from earth would be able to reach past the speed of light in 100 000 seconds, which is only a little more then a day in time.

Is it really impossible to give the spaceship enough initial fuel to force it into constant 30 (m/s)/s acceleration for a day? I guess so. The amount of fuel that would take would make the spaceship too heavy to launch. Okay, that's a given. But this is where a space station can make the difference.

Mankind builds a space station for spaceship launching somewhere in space where the gravity exposed to it is only a fraction of what it is on the surface of the earth. On the space station enough fuel is available for a day of constant 30 (m/s)/s acceleration, and because of the low gravity experienced, the mass of the rocket becomes irrelevant, and it won't matter how many thrusters and fuel tanks you had to attach (and detach in space, perhaps) anymore, because any mass be accelerated when there's no gravity countering such acceleration.

Physically it's possible to force an object to travel faster then the speed of light relative to earth, but there's no way to avoid an accidental interstellar space collision with it, eh?

Also, I wonder what man's vision would become when he's traveling faster then the speed of light relative to objects in space, since vision based on light absorption. Majorly distorted view? xD We'd need computers to correction our vision, I guess.

♣Gawain♣

Onward to Music!!!
    Years
    Physically it's possible to force an object to travel faster then the speed of light relative to earth, but there's no way to avoid an accidental interstellar space collision with it, eh?

Einstein says that a body will be gaining infinite mass if it travels at speed of light, and you cannot add energy because it can't go faster. You'll be contradicting it I guess.

The only way that we can travel "faster than light" is through theoretical wormholes, which never been proven. You can travel from one point to another but you'll became a noodle after that.

We don't know, but we'll sure be waiting.

Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Nov 9, 2021
    Einstein says that a body will be gaining infinite mass if it travels at speed of light, and you cannot add energy because it can't go faster. You'll be contradicting it I guess.

The only way that we can travel "faster than light" is through theoretical wormholes, which never been proven. You can travel from one point to another but you'll became a noodle after that.

We don't know, but we'll sure be waiting.
    Wormholes operate on the principle of folding space-time to get from point A to point B. There's no speed involved, because wormholes bend the space around the them. Speed is found by the equation time x distance, which won't work with wormholes if there is no time taken between point A and B.

For any effective space travel, the bending of space will be the only viable option.

Last edited:

22sa

ロミオとシンデレ? ?? �� �� �� �� �� �� �� ��
    Years
    What the heck is bending of space? I can't even imagine it.

I get sucked in a wormhole sort of black hole like, then come out somewhere else in space as a noodle? xD Omg, I want to see a simulation of that.

Mathematically what is stopping an object from traveling faster then 2 998 000 m/s relative tot he earth though? Suppose you send two objects going 1 800 000 m/s from opposite ends of earth, would they not be moving at 3 600 000 m/s away from each other? Or is it when I zoom at 3 500 000+ m/s past the stars in space, something bad will happen? O.o

Does the answer lie in dark matter ? o.o

No you fail

l to the o to the l
    Years
    honestly i think the only other "life" out there would be a single celled organism of some sort and not a more advanced species like human's and if there is another advanced species we surely would have found trace's such as floating space "junk" from them.

SonicThrust

Ice Cream <3
    Years
    • Seen Nov 15, 2013
    I definitely believe that there are other life forms out there, whether they are intelligent or not is another discussion.

♣Gawain♣

Onward to Music!!!
    Years
    What the heck is bending of space? I can't even imagine it.

I get sucked in a wormhole sort of black hole like, then come out somewhere else in space as a noodle? xD Omg, I want to see a simulation of that.

Does the answer lie in dark matter ? o.o

Number one, space can be bent around very massive objects, which has a lot of gravity. Imagine a bed(space-time fabric) with a bowling ball(the massive object) in the middle of it. The bed is deformed around the ball, and it's the mechanism and principle for a black hole(which explains the optical illusions and warping of light near massive celestial objects). Black hole have an infinite amount of density and therefore, has an infinite gravity. Place a marble beside it and see what happened, the marble gets down the bowling ball. But it's different in a true scenario. When you're near one, you'll feel the enormous gravity and turbulence around you as you slowly(and painfully stretches you to the point you're as thin as a noodle) go down the event horizon. And time also slows down there.

Dark matter is postulated because on the account that the universe has more matter than previously thought. The visible matter we see today counts merely a fraction than the dark matter. And dark matter can only be detected through it's gravitational effects, like the one I've stated above(they say that black hole is a kind of dark matter, but I don't really believe...). I don't know, maybe we could "harvest" this DM and use it as energy, if it has energy...

Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Nov 9, 2021
    Another good example, to add on to what Rigel said, are those spiral wishing wells for coins.
    Life on other Worlds?

The coins rolls around and around in the cone until it eventually falls into the hole, which is reminiscent of a object being drawn and falling into a black hole. The only reason planets don't ( usually... ) collide with their stars or quasars is because the star doesn't have infinite mass, so we're not being completely drawn into the center.

---

Anywho, back to the topic discussion. Life can exist in any form all over the universe, life doesn't necessarily need water, oxygen, or even the same proteins we're made out of in order to exist.
    There could be creatures made of out of rock living on a lava planet that would be completely uninhabitable to us.

Last edited:
    Back