• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Lifespan of Pokemon

Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2012
    I didn't see a thread like this, so...

What do you think the lifespan of different pokemon are?

Obviously, most Legends are immortal, or close to it. But what about the others? Do you think that they would have a lifespan similar to their real life copies, or longer, considering they have special powers and such.

For instance, bugs tend to live for just a few months (most bugs) but what about pokemon bugs? Like Scizor?

What about dragons, ghosts, et.?

Also, for the game part of things - Do you think that they'll ever make it to where pokemon get stronger as they get older?

To elaborate - As it is now, I can breed a pokemon, and have a pokemon that is just a few hours old at its final evolution form in no time. Do you think that they'll ever make it to where, along with actually getting experience from fighting - they can't actually max out their levels until they reach a certian time span with the trainer - say a day for some, a month for others?

jsut some thoughts.

Benjamin510

The King of Typio's!
    Years
    • Seen Jan 24, 2016
    Well, Ninetails Cannon It can be 1000 Years old, As it is a Kitsune.

Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2012
    Well, Ninetails Cannon It can be 1000 Years old, As it is a Kitsune.

I believe the same is true for Wartortle, and Absol is 100 years (?)

What I am questioning is why they thought that these long lifespans were significant enough for these to be put in the pokedex and other pokemon (like every dragon) that should have a minimum of 100 years in lifespan wasn't. Do they just not live that long or is there really nothing more amusing about Absol other than to say that it lives for 100 years. I can see Ninetales 1,000 years...

Jack

ego
    Years
    • Seen Mar 25, 2020
    Then. if the pokemon turns into ghost, gastlies would be overpopulated.

And have you ever caught two pokemons " mating " ? lol.

Ayselipera

Well I would think they would live just about the same amount of time as the lifeforms they are based off of. The only thing that would make me think other wise would be the trainers in the anime who owned certain Pokemon for their whole lives and they were well into old age. It seems to me that most Pokemon have the about the same life duration as their trainer. This would probably be because the show is for little kids and having Pokemon die off mid way wouldn't go over well.

If you just ignore the anime then I would go back to my statement of them living just about as long as the lifeforms they are based off of.

Åzurε

Shi-shi-shi-shaw!
    Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2013
    In general, they seem to have long lifespans, and probably would not reporduce as often as most real-life organisms. Dragons and Ghosts especially would live for a long time.

Something a tad disturbing comes up: Do Pokemon in different stages of evolution have different lifespans? Could Pikachu die years earlier because it just wouldn't take that Thunderstone?

Volroc

The Unpredictability Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Jul 20, 2015
    in the wild probably the same as their counter parts

but if they have a trainer, i think the bond allows them to live with their trainer til they die, and pokemon who go into denial end up living very long lives,cuz they refuse to admit their trainers dead& just keep waitin for them

it happens with normal animals all the time,i had a pet once, and it lived 5times its normal life span. my friend died, and the dog waited 5years before it died, it was a 7year old dog too. i dont have any other examples at the moment, but ill put up the last one when i remember it lol

Åzurε

Shi-shi-shi-shaw!
    Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2013

but if they have a trainer, i think the bond allows them to live with their trainer til they die, and pokemon who go into denial end up living very long lives,cuz they refuse to admit their trainers dead& just keep waitin for them

it happens with normal animals all the time,i had a pet once, and it lived 5times its normal life span. my friend died, and the dog waited 5years before it died, it was a 7year old dog too. i dont have any other examples at the moment, but ill put up the last one when i remember it lol

Uh, depending on the dog, that's just about normal. Our boxer (scratch that, my boxer. ;_;) lived thirteen years.

And what kind of animal was the pet that lived 5 times it's normal span?

Niprop

The Fighting Porygon Team
    Years
    Porygon and it's Evolutions cannot age, cannot die from biological disease, and has very limited ways of dying through physical damage, making in essence, the most resilient/adaptable Pokémon around, even more so then the Plate-dependent Arceus and corporeal Dialga and Palkia. Fortunately, as it has no means of reproduction other then through ditto (which it would most likely never actually mate with under "normal" circumstances), and it is closely monitored by humans along with being an artificial Pokémon, there won't be an overrun of the creature anytime soon.

Humanoid Pokémon such as Mr. Mime and Gallade likely live as long as their human counterparts, or perhaps longer, seeing as they have a stronger life force.

Animal like Pokemon such as Houndoom and Stanler might have the maximum life span of their real life counterpart as an average.

I think I heard somewhere then Venomoth had an especially short life span among Pokémon, but I can't figure out the exact number.

Volroc

Years
    • Seen Jul 20, 2015
    Uh, depending on the dog, that's just about normal. Our boxer (scratch that, my boxer. ;_;) lived thirteen years.

And what kind of animal was the pet that lived 5 times it's normal span?

it was a reptile, cant remember the exact species (3am, bad time for me to remeber things stupid insomnia lol)

it was one of those dogs with the heart problems, the really big one >.< *headache*

xDaisuke0

Aspiring Professor
    Years

I always though exactly that. But then what about trainers who say they get their Pokemon from their parents? D: They're cheating death!!

Serene Grace

Pokémon Trainer
    Years
    This is one part of Pokemon that doesn't make sense. Or, it can't make sense since they're not real. No need to look into it too much! XD;

shengar

♥ Mikan Enthusiast ♥
    Years
    • Seen Jun 25, 2013
    Lapras have long timespan. One hatched nearly 20-30 years ago and still live in the story. As gastly, i don't they actually ghost. Pokemon like Gastly and its evolution maybe actually a gas-formed Pokemon. Dragon type maybe have long timespan since their young'n is rarely grow to fully mature.

Volroc

Years
    • Seen Jul 20, 2015
    I always though exactly that. But then what about trainers who say they get their Pokemon from their parents? D: They're cheating death!!

possibly, but then again the bond is with its trainer, not the parent ;) loop holes, i always find them :laugh:

PiPVoda

water, Forever
    Years
    • He / Him
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 2, 2022
    Pokemon don't, or shouldn't, have life-spans. Considering it's still a kid-friendly genre I imagine that the pokemon live forever and are immortal like their trainers in the show. However, I do remember that it was in Kanto or Johto that an old man near a beach on a cliff was talking about his pikachu and it looked just as old as him.

The only true answer to this: only Game Freak knows.

Magmarizer

Hitokiri Battōsai
    Years
    I think that pokemon that evolve early, die early; just like animals who mature fast die fast.

And pokemon that evolve much later, like psuedo-legendarys live long lives.

An intresting question is when pokemon evolve, do they start over in terms of lifespan? If i wait till pikachu is on his death bed to expose him to the thunderstone, when he evolves, will he be young agian? or just as old but in a diffrent form?

Years
    In general, they seem to have long lifespans, and probably would not reporduce as often as most real-life organisms. Dragons and Ghosts especially would live for a long time.

Something a tad disturbing comes up: Do Pokemon in different stages of evolution have different lifespans? Could Pikachu die years earlier because it just wouldn't take that Thunderstone?

I don't know about most pokemon...but...

Have you seen Raichu? Seriously looked at it?

Pikachu will live longer than Raichu, as Pikachu just looks happy, and energetic, probably coz it chewed through your cables.

Raichu on the other hand....it looks positively obese. So it's gotta die before Pikachu

Back