• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Link of Wind Waker, Coincidence, or Plot Hole?

Coincidence or Plothole?

• Coincidence, it's pretty much the same person anyway

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • Plot Hole, Nintendo has to think these things throught

Votes: 2 33.3%

• Total voters

A Pixy

Cruel?
    Years
    We all know Link is a natural lefty. If you didn't know that, you know now. That's why I prefer the Gamecube version of Twilight Princess more than the Wii version thanks to the Master Sword being in Link's Left Hand. In Wind Waker, we can all safely say, that's not Link. Even one of the directers of Ocarina of Time said that Wind Waker takes place a century after Ocarina of Time ending. In the island the Wind Waker Link lives in, everyone wears green tunic when they become a certain age to respect the Link we played as in Ocarina of Time. Weird how he met the decendant of Zelda and his name was Link as well (it's a Zelda game, they want you to name him Link like they want you to name the main character in Final Fantasy VII Cloud)? And that he became a hero as well fighting the same villain. But that's not much considering where he is, Hyrule. But here comes the biggest plothole when you add up everything. Wind Waker Link,
    Link of Wind Waker, Coincidence, or Plot Hole?
    IS A LEFTY!!! See, he's holding his sword in his left hand.
    This is artwork for Phantom Hourglass, a direct sequal to Wind Waker that takes place where Wind Waker left off so it's the same Link. The chances of being a lefty is 7%. Now let's add everything up, shall we.
    Toon Link is:
    - A hero
    - Named after a hero
    - Dresses like the hero he's named after
    - Defeats the same villain the other hero defeated
    - Meets Zelda
    - Gets the Triforce of Courage like the other hero
    - Is a lefty like the other hero

Come on Nintendo, just because he's the same hero deep inside, doesn't mean you have to make a total plothole, or coincidence.

YOU DECIDE!

Nubi505

Heroes don't need super powers
    Years
    Never played Wind Waker or Phantom Hourglass through.

But it could be a kind of 'reincarnation' of the super awesome hero Link from OoT/MM/Twilight/etc... It may be a newer, century later Link, but alos the reincarnate of what he once was. (Of course no one tells us this, it is to be assumed?)

Northy

Music Obsessed Straightedger
    Years
    he isn't a reincarnation, he is just some kid... the king of red lions says to Jabun something along the lines of

"No, This Kid Is Not Related To The Ancient Hero"

sorry, zelda nerd, right here :p

he was only meant to wear those clothes for one day, however he was pulled into defeating ganondorf due to personal reasons (Helmaroc King Kidnapped His Sister) and just ended up wearing them for the whole game.

and as for the triforce thing once he got all the pieces he went to the Tower of the gods and the Gods chose him as the new Hero (Hero Of Winds)

as for meeting Zelda... he originally Wasn't meant to... but Daphanes had no choice.

yeah... I'm a Zelda nerd.

Nubi505

Heroes don't need super powers
    Years
    Yay, Zelda nerd! No shame in that.

So in that case, maybe the developers habitually designed him left handed. Or thought: "They'll complain if he is right handed." Because Link, even as an 'impostor' of the original, is naturally left handed (like the creator said).

Northy

Years
    Yay, Zelda nerd! No shame in that.

So in that case, maybe the developers habitually designed him left handed. Or thought: "They'll complain if he is right handed." Because Link, even as an 'impostor' of the original, is naturally left handed (like the creator said).

I'm Pretty sure This Is The Correct Reason For Him Being Left Handed.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
    Well, for starters there are a lot of different Links.

Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask share a Link.
    The Wind Waker and Phantom Hourglass share a Link.
    The Legend of Zelda and The Adventure of Link share a Link.
    A Link to the Past and Link's Awakening share a Link.
    Oracle of Seasons and Oracle of Ages share a Link - this may be the same Link as in ALttP and LA.
    Twilight Princess is a different Link altogether. As is The Minish Cap's.
    The Link of Four Swords and Four Swords Adventures may be related and may be related to the Link of The Minish Cap or even The Wind Waker.

Lots of different Links. No plothole. Way back in the late 1980's we were introduced to the concept of two Princess Zelda during The Adventure of Link. In that game we learned that there was a previous Zelda from ages ago who all princesses after were named. We learn more about this heritage during The Wind Waker.

Also, just to see how you would react... there's probably at least two Ganons/Ganondorfs :p

Link is also left handed because Miyamoto is

Northy

Years
    Also, just to see how you would react... there's probably at least two Ganons/Ganondorfs :p

No.

ganondorf is the only character in the series who is the same person each time.

Triforce of power seems to be keeping him alive...

which has lead fans to believe he may finally be dead, seeing as he seem to lost the triforce at the end of Twilight Princess.

my opinion... he will be back.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
    No.

ganondorf is the only character in the series who is the same person each time.

he seems to be unable to die while he holds the Triforce of power...

which has lead fan to belive he may finally be dead, seeing as he seem to lost the triforce at the end of Twilight Princess.

me opinion... he will be back.
    Have you played Four Swords Adventures? It really leads to the belief that Ganon is more of a demon that possesses the Gerudo entity of Ganondorf. In Four Swords Adventures it sorta shows that there is another Ganondorf.

Northy

Years
    i must admit, i haven't played Four Swords... thats the other game with Vaati right?
    i generally think of that game as a side game.. but ok.

in the windwaker.. he speaks of The Gerudo Desert, and how he hated living there cause the winds always brought death... also, during the opening the game reference ocarina of time, and how the hero traveled through time to imprison Ganondorf... and then it says ganondorf returns... but he hero did not appear.. so the gods sealed hyrule under the sea... and the land faded into legend... this means the ganondorf in Wind waker, is the same as the one as in ocarina of time... meaning he is hundreds of years old... and still alive.

Ganon, as far as i know is what the triforce of power turns him into, since it glows when he transforms.

Zelda = Sheik.
    Ganondorf = Ganon
    Link = Blue Eyed Beast (Wolf)

so far each of the triforce holders have transformed at least once.

however if you are right, and I'm missing something from my theorys... then i should play Four Swords... and add the information in the game to my theorys.

care to explain further about the double Ganon and the demon thing... I'm interested.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
    The Ganon/Ganondorf of Ocarina of Time, The Wind Waker, an Twilight Princess are all the same.

If you're trying to follow/connect the storylines of the games then you have to be aware of the split in the timeline and how certain events appear to overlap.

It's been confirmed by the developers on a few occasions that at the end of Ocarina of Time the timeline is literally split in half.

So, there are two arcs so to speak.

OoT -> TWW
    OoT -> MM -> TP

And then the games go on from there and they fit in one of those two timelines. Now, what's similar? At the end of TWW and TP (which could very likely be occurring at the same time although in different timelines) have Ganon (I refer to Ganondorf as Ganon as well since TWW does this often) appear to die.

Now, with Four Sword Adventures given the geography of Hyrule and the flooded nature it is safe to assume that it takes place after TWW. In Four Sword Adventures, a demonic spirit (Ganon) controls a new Gerudo king (also named Ganondorf, like the original) and steals a magical trident (which Ganon is shown to be holding in most of the 2D Zelda games). Ganon is using a dark mirror to send people into another realm and form his growing army in the process. Dark mirror? Another realm? Shadow Links are formed this way. Much like the famous cutscene in Twilight Princess. I doubt the parallels with Twilight Princess weren't intentional. So, that leads to my idea of events (even if separated by many, many years) run parallel to each other in the timelines.

In Four Sword Adventures, the Gerudo are completely surprised by Ganondorf's actions. Clearly this is a new Ganondorf, as given Nabooru's comments in Ocarina of Time, the Gerudo shouldn't be surprised is he attempted evil again.

There are elements to Four Sword Adventures that act as a backstory to A Link to the Past as well.

My timeline is...

TMC -> OoT -> MM -> TP
    TMC -> OoT -> (FS) -> TWW -> PH -> (FS) -> FSA -> ALttP -> OoX -> LA -> LoZ -> AoL

Once again, the Ganon or OoT, TP, and TWW is the same. In TWW, he mentions the desert and knows of the Hero of Time. In TP however, he is captured, tried, and "executed" before most of the events of OoT because when Zelda sent Link back in time at the end of the game he informed Zelda of what happened and actions were taken to prevent Ganon from doing what he did in the game. And so the split happens. Some games follow what happens after Link returns to his childhood and some follow what happens when he's an adult.

My hunch is that upcoming games will try to follow the adult timeline (where it currently ends with TP in my timeline).

I could explain all this a lot better but I'm tired XD

xxlucifera

Zero; Less Than Three
    Years
    I'm pretty positive Nintendo officially said that FSA is the first game in the series, chronologically.

Evidence suggests that TMC happens AFTER WW and PH.
    If you look carefully at the map, you will see it is surrounded by water.. Meaning [dun dun dun] an island.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
    I'm pretty positive Nintendo officially said that FSA is the first game in the series, chronologically.

Evidence suggests that TMC happens AFTER WW and PH.
    If you look carefully at the map, you will see it is surrounded by water.. Meaning [dun dun dun] an island.
    Close. At one point it was reported that the original Four Swords was "the oldest tale" - meaning it was first.

But, if The Minish Cap tells the origin story of Vaati and the Four Sword, then it must precede it. Water doesn't mean much. Look at the map for Adventure of Link. Very, very watery.

Northy

Years
    i guess you just helped me fill in some problems in my theorys.

i knew about the split time line.. I'm not gonna go into my time line theory, I'll just say the basics of what i believe.

the hero didn't come back because he was sent into the past, with no hero the world was flooded... leading to the windwaker.

in the past with links help ganondorf was found out and sentenced to execution before the whole thing even happened... leading to Twilight Princess... but not before the events of majoras mask.

thats the timeline theory a me and a few of my friends believe.

xxlucifera

Zero; Less Than Three
    Years
    Close. At one point it was reported that the original Four Swords was "the oldest tale" - meaning it was first.

But, if The Minish Cap tells the origin story of Vaati and the Four Sword, then it must precede it. Water doesn't mean much. Look at the map for Adventure of Link. Very, very watery.
    Ah.
    My bad, then.
    I haven't check up on the newest Time line theories for a bit.

Years
    I gave up figuring out the timeline of Zelda long ago. Unless they directly connect (Like LoZ to AoL) I basically just look at them all as separate universes. Makes thing much easier.

Spinor

<i><font color="b1373f">The Lonely Physicist</font
    Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2019
    Alrighty than...

Besides getting off-topic, does blood relation really matter if a person is Left Handed or not?

Seriously, handedness happens by chance. For all we know, Toon Link could have trained himself to become ambidextrous.

So why debate?

xxlucifera

Zero; Less Than Three
    Years
    Alrighty than...

Besides getting off-topic, does blood relation really matter if a person is Left Handed or not?

Seriously, handedness happens by chance. For all we know, Toon Link could have trained himself to become ambidextrous.

So why debate?
    Actually, it does, in a way.
    It is a genetic trait (left-handedness).

Spinor

<i><font color="b1373f">The Lonely Physicist</font
    Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2019
    If it was, there is still a chance that a dominant trait was overtaken by a recessive trait.

So even if it was, there is no reason to doubt handedness happens by chance.

Aether

Preparing Emergency Food
    Years
    The only "timelines" in Zelda I follow is the original and the sequel, Lttp and LA, and OOT, MM, TWW and PH. They're the only timelines explicitly said that they're related. And as far as I know, the only ones that are. I don't believe in the 'split timelines' stuff, it's just way to convoluted and contradictory to make any sense, IMO.

Back