• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Links between Pokemon through time

Years
    • Seen Aug 18, 2016
    I was playing fire red recently, and I noticed that Kabutops and Scyther have some very similar features. Head shape, body shape, the mantis claws, etc...

There's also the thought that Scyther evolves into a steel type, so why not Kabutops? Is Genesect a midpoint between the two pokemon?

Could this mean that these pokemon are linked through evolution (not pokevolution, but like, you know...)

Have you noticed any other pokemon that could fit into this rubric?

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    You mean with fossil pokémon and current pokémon? Well, maybe Omanyte and Squirtle in some very far kind of way ^^ Or maybe Omanyte split into Octillery and Dwebble. I don't know if the makers of pokémon thought about it this way.

As for Kabutops and Scyther, they are similar yes, but their typings are completely different with Kabutops being a swimmer and Scyther being a flying pokémon. So I'm not sure I think they could be related.

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2024
    Well, maybe Kabutops is the pokemon that eventually evolved into Scyther. Remember, all life started in the ocean and so it's possible that Kabutops became Scyther.

That theory was only proposed for living things in the actual world. I wouldn't think it would hold true for the Pokemon as well but hey, I digress.

I personally believe that inter-species mating was a thing back in the primitive era of Pokemon. I mean, why would it not be? With the limited amount of species before, I would not be surprised if there's some sort of "missing mother" between the species today and the species before.

Years
  • That theory was only proposed for living things in the actual world. I wouldn't think it would hold true for the Pokemon as well but hey, I digress.

I personally believe that inter-species mating was a thing back in the primitive era of Pokemon. I mean, why would it not be? With the limited amount of species before, I would not be surprised if there's some sort of "missing mother" between the species today and the species before.

Somewhat like how they originally wanted Kangaskhan to be the "evolved" form of Cubone/Marowak, but opted against it.

ImBlue

dabbadeedabadai
    Years
  • Actually, did you know that the mantis is believed to have evolved from proto-cockroaches, and cockroaches and trilobites (the inspiration for Kabuto/Kabutops) are arthropods? Thus Kabutops evolving into Scyther over time makes sense. Trust me on this, I made a pretty bad youtube video on it lol.

pokefan648

< I ate your giant meatball :3
    Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2014
    not to change the subject on kabutops and scyther, but for some reason i think igglybuff jigglypuff and wigglytuff look like cleffa clefairy and clefable. jigglypuff is fairy type, but wigglytuff isnt(idk about igglybuff). and also, the butterfree and venonat thing is another look-a-like pokemon question. i think the creators made pokemon around the same group of animals and objects and some are made to look like something else than what they really are example blastoise looks like a giant turtle but the pokedex says its a shell fish pokemon, or pokedex says weedle is a hairy bug but it has no hair at all. one more thing is dratini and dragonair do not look like dragonite. why is that?

Years
  • Kabutops to Scyther, that's a bit interesting. I've never thought it that way.

And then there's the overused Kangaskhan's baby -> Cubone theory, and the mother is Kangaskhan. Just a theory, though.

Back