• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Linux Distros

obZen

Kill Your Heroes
Years
  • Are any of you guys fans of Linux distros? With the Windows vs. Mac wars dying down in a new, mobile age, Linux operating systems on the desktop aren't as often looked at especially when people can, "just buy a Mac." /cringe
    Anyway, what are your thoughts on Ubuntu, Debian, Slackware, REHL, Fedora, etc.?
    Favorites?
    Ever heard of Linux?

My personal favorite has been Arch Linux. A rolling distribution with vanilla (for the most part) components = win
    Also, I haven't broken things too often, which is a good thing!

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Linux isn't bad at all. It's free, got access to tons of apps, heavily customization, and unlike Mac and Windows, it cannot be contaminated with viruses... well, I guess it can, but the chances of that happening are quite low. Out of all distros, Ubuntu would have to be my most favorite. It's easy to use, fast starts-up pretty fast, and it's also got a stylish interface. Elementary OS is my second favorite. Its design is very pleasing to the eye—moreso than Ubuntu. Unfortunately though, I never got the chance to try it out. Every time I tried to install it, I always ended up getting a black screen. Asked for help on their official website plenty of times, but none of their suggestions seemed to work. d:

Cordelia

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Nov 21, 2014
    I'm a fan of Ubuntu, Linux Mint (based off Ubuntu), Bodhi Linux, and PCLinuxOS. I used PCLinuxOS exclusively for over a year then I had the pc off for a while and I couldn't remember how to update my repos haha. I run Linux Mint 16 Petra on my desktop now and she is a beauty.

(I like Linux.)

Minuteman III

More Boosters!
    Years
  • I'm currently writing this post on a Lubuntu machine. Lubuntu is a derivative of Ubuntu using LXDE instead of Unity, and therefore uses less resources.
    I have used Slackware for the longest time, and it seems to be my go-to distro whenever I want to use an older machine as a server of some sort. The only reason I am not using it right now is because Steam for Linux on Slackware is not real easy to install, and my installation was 64 bit with no multilib set up. Instead of torrenting a 32 bit install disc, I just reused my Lubuntu disc I used to set up an older laptop.

If anyone were to ask me what distro I would reccomend, I would reccomend Slackware for use in home servers and as a learning tool. Lubuntu is what I would recommend for general usability.

Years
  • I haven't used a Linux Distro in a while, but some of the ones that I have used are Ubuntu, CentOS, Linux Mint, ElementaryOS, and Damn Small Linux.

Back