• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Linux!

SolusX

Poké Hacker Noob
Years
  • Any other users here? Any newer users like myself? How are you liking the OS if you've been a long time user? Do you dual-boot? Qualms? Favorite aspects?

I've personally started using linux within the last year and I'm loving it. I have Ubuntu 12.10 installed on my secondary laptop under a dual-boot. My biggest problem however is the fact that I need to have a Windows installation to do certain tasks, such as ROM editing or playing certain MMORPGs. Wine unfortunately can't solve all my problems. But the OS is great. It's smooth, multiple desktops are INCREDIBLY helpful and the look fresh and modern. If it wasn't for my other interests, I'd probably be using just Linux. Not that I don't like Windows; I still enjoy the operating system overall and doubt I can abandon it entirely.

Years
  • I never used linux but it's something I've always wanted to do. I'm just waiting right now until I buy a new computer, then I'm gonna use my old one to run linux. There's like a million versions to so I'm excited to go through them all and find one that fits me.

Years
  • I love Linux. When I get a laptop for myself, I'll definately be dual booting with a Linux distro. Probably will be Fedora or maybe Ubuntu. What do you think of the Unity interface?

Gideon Jeremiah

The giving Pokèmon breeder
    Years
  • Oh I've adored Linux since my step-brother taught me about it when I was 4...

Right now, my Asus G73SW is running a quad-boot with Windows 7 Ultimate, Fedora 17, BackTrack 5 R3 & Slackware 14.0 (anything else that is necessary I simply run through VMware).

On a personal note; Slackware & BackTrack are my absolutely favorite distro's (among the 40+ or so I have tried).

Last edited:

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
  • I am a HUGE fan of Linux. I tried Ubuntu and Zorin which is a different version of Linux that resembles Windows 7. I took an introductory course when I went to school in San Diego, and it immediately became my default OS for the whole time I was there. I never cared much for Windows, it was Linux all the way!

The last time I installed Linux was when 12.04 came out and it was a vast improvement to 11.10, which had serious issues on my end. I would definitely install 12.10 right now, but seeing that this computer I'm using needs more RAM, I would rather wait till I get to that.

Renpuu

Gengar !
    Years
  • I've used Ubuntu briefly during my computer experiences. Unfortunately since i'm always heavy gaming, I'm stuck with Windows O/S. I like LINUX and I would like to see more development on games for LINUX. Right now it just seems they're trying to just make games Windows or MAC compatible. I mean Steam isn't even LINUX friendly as far as I am aware but they made a big deal about Apple O/S games.
    I thought it was neat that LINUX had options of multiple desktops/button to hide all opened windows and show the desktop integrated into the O/S.
    When I first tried Ubuntu I was still using Windows XP (x86) and it was a nice change of pace for a while. Once Windows 7 was officially released is when I switched back to Windows.
    I support open source software and wish great things for LINUX in the future however it's only a matter of time before more competition steps to try and get people to spend money on other O/S and devices.

Cordelia

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Nov 21, 2014
    I used Linux for about a year -- most of the time with PCLinuxOS. I really enjoyed it but it was frustrating having to tinker with it often. Not that distro really, but all of them... I'm a tinkerer, so I kind of have to do it. My laptop came with Windows 7 though so I just kept it. I have Ubuntu 12.04 installed in a Virtual Machine so I can build for Android when I want to, but that's about it these days.

SolusX

Poké Hacker Noob
    Years
  • I'm still looking for the perfect version for me actually.
    Personally I love the Unity interface. Mostly because its something new to me, but it's really convenient overall. Feels very modern and I like feeling like I'm using the technology of the future.
    I want to look into SlackWare and BackTrack now because I am looking for new OSes although Quad-boot is way beyond me.
    I honestly don't see much difference in Ubuntu 12.10 and 12.04. Personally I want to downgrade sometimes for the stability

Honesty it's biggest shame is the lack of game support since it's not as supported as windows.

Gideon Jeremiah

The giving Pokèmon breeder
    Years
  • I'm still looking for the perfect version for me actually.
    Personally I love the Unity interface. Mostly because its something new to me, but it's really convenient overall. Feels very modern and I like feeling like I'm using the technology of the future.
    I want to look into SlackWare and BackTrack now because I am looking for new OSes although Quad-boot is way beyond me.
    I honestly don't see much difference in Ubuntu 12.10 and 12.04. Personally I want to downgrade sometimes for the stability

Honesty it's biggest shame is the lack of game support since it's not as supported as windows.

Slackware & BackTrack are incredibly dependent upon your personal needs.
    Aside from pen-testing, generic decoding purposes or other things I am not going to openly mention, BackTrack does nothing special.
    It's mostly for those are are specifically in need of proper network security & pen-testing.

Slackware on the other-hand...
    It's wonderful if you are a coder, & fantastic if you would like a gnome 2.xx OS that runs at wondrously smooth speeds without hassle (aside from the installation, that will require a manual for any non-intermediate Linux user [using Ubuntu on its own does not give you the experience necessary for installation]).

quilzel

net start w3svc
    Years
  • Back in the Vista days I jumped ship and went to Ubuntu. When 7 rolled out I got curious and tried it... I loved it, so fast so smooth, and so freaking pretty. (At the time) Then I went to a techincal college that just so happened to be a Microsoft I.T. Academy. I learned all about Windows Server, nothing about Linux. Which is weird, thinking back on it, it was messing with Ubuntu, trying to compile from source and that made me interested in the I.T. field.

I spent so much time on Windows and I got to know the ends and outs of the OS that I began to just feel to comfortable in it. We never went over anything Linux. I know enough to get a LAMP server up. Probably not the most secure server on the web, but hey its there. I don't like to use Linux every day because I don't know enough about it to feel that I can keep it secure.

In short I like Linux... as a server, but I use Windows everyday.

Aeon.

Carrion
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jun 22, 2016
    I would love to have Linux installed, but Realtek makes the worst wireless drivers to ever plague humanity. That, and I use a lot of Windows exclusive applications that probably wouldn't go well with Wine. When I did use Linux I used Ubuntu 12.4 LTS with Cinnamon in place of Unity, and it was glorious.

Back