• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Listening to music in public.

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    You have your iPod (or whatever) on, your headphones / earbuds in, and then suddenly that song comes in that you just can't control yourself on. It starts, and you start to tap your foot, and then suddenly you're dancing like you've never danced before and belting out the lyrics at the top of your lungs... unless, you're not. You're listening to your music in the middle of a store. How do you respond to the music? Do you sing and dance anyway, hum a bit, lip sync? Are there any conditions that have to be in place for you to do something, like having both headphones in your ears in order to sing, or there being no one in a particular isle for you to dance? Let me knowww!!!!

Honest

Hi!
    Years
  • Oooh, I like this thread. If I'm listening to my ipod and I'm stationary, more often then not, I'll be tapping the beat with my feet. Sometimes i get ridiculously into it. I'll also lip synch if I'm not with any friends, and a healthy dose of minor headbanging will also probably be there. If I'm walking, I'll probably act normally. Unfortunately, the kind of music i listen to isn't played in stores often.

outfox

in
    Years
    • Seen Feb 25, 2013
    Always with this! All I want to do is browse the pasta isle, and upon reaching for ramen I accidentally turn the volume up and The Chemical Brothers come in with the climax and I vanish, I transcend space and time and soar galaxies of other dimensions- suddenly the beauty surrounding me melts and I reload the program of misery. Piles of various ramens all around me, disapproving glares in my direction.

This happened, but I did embellish. The accidental hitting of the volume scared me enough to drop the ramen I had in my hands.

But this does happen to me, and I find myself controlling urges to dance/sing from time to time. Question: does anyone else find themselves embarrassed for walking to the beat of music that's playing in the background of wherever they're at?

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    Question: does anyone else find themselves embarrassed for walking to the beat of music that's playing in the background of wherever they're at?
    I do that a lot, but I think that's because I've been involved with music since the 4th grade and I've had to do that for five years while I was in marching band in high school. It just kind of stuck. At work we're allowed to listen to music on our iPods with one headphone in, and I even work to the pace of the music, so if the music is an uptempo song, I'm working much faster as opposed to ballads and ambient songs. But yes, yes, 1,000 times yes. I always walk to the tempo of the song I'm listening to, and songs that play on the radio at stores when I'm there.

outfox

in
    Years
    • Seen Feb 25, 2013
    At least at work you're jamming voluntarily, haha. At my work we're forced to listen to the playlists corporate sends us and I can't wipe windows without feeling an inkling of awkward because I'm circularly wiping to the beat of "R-E-S-P-E-C-T."

Years
  • Like Bloodex, if I'm sat down then I'll probably tap my feet. I've just recently noticed myself starting to lip sync along to songs if no-one can see me on the bus, I have no idea why it started though. If I'm walking, I don't do anything in particular.

Years
  • I'm usually not doing anything when I listen to music, probably just in the car or in my room or something, where I can happily sing along. When I'm in public, I usually don't listen to music, but I do randomly sing songs that come to mind. I'll keep my volume down, not wanting to embarrass myself completely haha, but it's still noticeable.

Algo Fonix

oh god
    Years
  • If I'm stationary, I'll tap my foot. It can be fun what with odd rhythms and whatnot. If I'm driving (alone) though, I'll sometime sing along. Most of what I listen to is mostly instrumental, so singing really isn't a thing for the most part.

s0nido

turn up the engine
    Years
  • If I'm in public by myself, the most I'll do when listening to music is tap my foot or lip-sync. If I'm around friends, though, I'll probably sing aloud and dance like an idiot to embarrass them or have a laugh.

Briar

how do you make coffee sexy?
    Years
  • i either start lip-syncing to the song (if it's a song that i really love to sing to, like jason mraz's "lucky"), or i actually do sing the song (albeit softly). i rarely dance to songs i'm listening to in public though, but when i do... the song is "jai ho." :-D

SSJ4Ash

Saiyan Poke-Master
    Years
  • I sometimes tap my foot or lip synch. But every now and then I will start to bust a move, (kinda like the image below) I have doen it at my lunch break at work and walking to walmart. I live less then 5 miles from there so I walk along the highway, I bet people think I'm a wierdo, I'm glad I haven't caused a wreck yet.
    Listening to music in public.

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
    Years
  • I don't do anything. Music doesn't really have that affect on me unless I'm tipsy or in the proper situation with friends at night.. @_@ or when I am animating late into the mornings..

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • I'll mostly either do lip-synching or singing softly mostly to myself. But on a Greyhound bus trip I took a couple years ago, somehow the dude sitting next to me heard me and kept looking at me like 0_o until the stop where he got off.

Now, if I'm by myself, I'll sing at my normal volume. I have no qualms about belting out my favorite songs, even if my lyrics are off by a second or two from the actual song xD

Years
    • Seen Oct 12, 2020
    I don't listen to my iPod in public, because I unknowingly make involuntary actions, such as tapping my foot, lipsynching, etc. I only listen to music when I'm at home.

Twilight Sky

» s t r a w b e r r y fields ♪
    Years
    • Seen Aug 7, 2013
    I have bad social anxiety, and it's kinda even worse in huge places like the mall. Even when I'm listening to very energetic, dance-y type music, I do try to contain myself and try not to bust out dancing, haha.

Back