• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Localizing Pokemon Essentials to Other Languages

Years
    • Seen Aug 10, 2015
    As I have become aware, a considerable number of non-English speakers are using my Pokemon Essentials kit.

Therefore, I have decided to create this thread in order to bring Pokemon Essentials to those other users. This effort will involve translating the game text, documentation, and a small number of image files. I want users whose native language is not English to work on the following files:

https://upokecenter.com/projects/pokestarter/intl.txt

Game text. To localize the text, translate every second line in the file and send it to me.

https://upokecenter.com/projects/pokestarter/notes.html
    https://upokecenter.com/projects/pokestarter/advanced.html

These two files make up the documentation for Pokemon Essentials.

Also, the following images within Pokemon Essentials contain text and need to be localized:

Graphics/Pictures/advHPBar.png
    Graphics/Pictures/boxstatuses.png
    Graphics/Pictures/doubleEnemyBox.png
    Graphics/Pictures/doublePlayerBox.png
    Graphics/Pictures/singleEnemyBox.png
    Graphics/Pictures/singlePlayerBox.png
    Graphics/Pictures/statuses.png
    Graphics/Pictures/trcard.png
    Graphics/Pictures/types.png
    Graphics/Pictures/boxsides.png
    Graphics/Pictures/boxpartytab.png
    Graphics/Titles/Start.png
    Graphics/Titles/Pic_2.png

If anyone would help localize the files mentioned above and upload them, I would appreciate it. Thanks.

Years
    Poccil, I can help you with this. My native language is Brazilian Portuguese and I'm pretty good in English, so I'm sure I can translate it. I'll start the job as soon as you confirm.

By the way, does the Pokemon fonts supports graphical accentuation?

Years
    • Seen Aug 10, 2015
    Yauga:

Thanks for responding. I appreciate it. The fonts included in Pokemon Essentials do include characters required for Portuguese text.

Years
    • Seen Nov 11, 2008
    I love this Starter Kit =D
    (I hate RGSS but the Kit is cool xD)

I could help to translate it into German if I have enough time for it.
    I mean REAL GERMAN (not "Google Trans" xD)

But: I will not translate the Debug Errors etc.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jun 25, 2009
    I finished the intl.txt translation into german long time ago, but i found some.. i think bugs..
    I wrote an email, but nobody answered.
    some things wouldn't be translated, like "UPPER","lower","other" and "... obtained a ...", when you get a pokemon from the prof.
    and you aren't able to translate some commands, i think because they didn't start with _intl (like "Withdraw Item" or "Your name?" at the beginning, when you have to enter your name.)

I also translated the graphics..

PS:(Geodude is type Rock="Gestein"; In the Safarie Game, you throw a Rock, but in german "Stein" -> little error in the translation, because you don't get the chance to translate it 2times)

PS: Hey, MagicMaker, i know you ;)

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Nov 11, 2008
    German-------------------------
    Realmatze, du hier xD? wusst ich garnich^^
    Willst du vielleicht mit-translaten wenn Zeit is?
    Denn das ist echt ne riesige Menge Text.
    ------------------------------------------------------end

@poccil: Finished:

Pokemon Names, one half of the Items i think and many little things.

Years
    • Seen Jun 25, 2009
    @MagicMaker: Klaro, ich such dich in ICQ..

@poccil:I'll give everything to MagicMaker i've done until now..

Years
    • Seen Jun 25, 2009
    Hey poccil, I'm nearly at the end with the intl...

1.Question: why are there sometimes Clear lines, like in line1502? I removed them, is it ok?

2.Question: are the html-files up-to-date?

Years
    • Seen Aug 10, 2015
    Realmatze:

Thanks for reporting your progress, although I didn't know what you mean by "clear lines" in the first question.

If I understand your second question -- Every now and then the documentation is modified because of new versions, and so on. The links given above always refer to the latest version of the documentation.

Years
    • Seen Jun 25, 2009
    Sry, clear lines, i mean, search line 1502, there, the line is empty... so, maybe empty lines would have been better xD

(man, bad english, school's out long time ago xD)

Last edited:
    Years
    Like I said a long time ago, I'm translating the starterkit in French and I will give u the translation when it's done.

But u should solve the problem with the \1 in the extraction and compilation.

I've already translated all the pokemon names, the pokemon system, the debuger, all the items. But I still have to translate the descriptions of the items and pokemons (I have done it for the 160 first pokemons).

~Sloth~

Bringing sXe back
    Years
    I'm translating Intl.txt to Spanish at the moment and I'll get the other two when I'm done.

EDIT: By the way, I noticed that in some lines you had "ice problem" and in others "freezing problem". Just a heads up. Also there may be a few noun-adjective agreement issues with the translation, as it's impossible to distinguish between masculine and femenine item names, etc. I got rid of most of the definite articles to minimize the issues, and I put the word Habilidad before the Ability name in the Trace message to avoid a problem there. I just got to the part with the flavors, and since I'm assuming they refer to berries, I'm gonna go out on a limb and make them femenine...

EDIT 2: Wait, they might be PokeBlocks too... or Poffin. Oh well, I'll just make them masculine. "¡El Baya fue demasiado amargo!" makes enough sense...

Last edited:
    Years
    yo, Sloth, I comply with you. Both Spanish and Portuguese got these gender problems. I try to keep the gender undefined when it is possible.
    Another problem , the text will always fit to the screen? There are words in other languages that almost double the characters;
    i.e.: ROCK SLIDE = DESLIZAMENTO DE PEDRAS

~JV~

Dev of Pokémon Uranium
    Years
    yo, Sloth, I comply with you. Both Spanish and Portuguese got these gender problems. I try to keep the gender undefined when it is possible.
    Another problem , the text will always fit to the screen? There are words in other languages that almost double the characters;
    i.e.: ROCK SLIDE = DESLIZAMENTO DE PEDRAS

You dont need to traduct it exactly like that, you can make minor changes to the move names. Instead of DESLIZAMENTO DE PEDRAS you could put only DESLIZAMENTO or CHUVA DE PEDRAS etc.
    note: Im brazilian, so i know how to talk portuguese.

Years
    Yeah, JV12345, I used it only to exemplify my affirmation about the size of the words. It don't really means that I will put exactly deslizamento de pedras.

Years
    • Seen Nov 11, 2008
    News / Aktuelles:

"German Translation" / "Deutsche Übersetzung" of Essentials can be released soon.
    (ger: kann bald rausgegeben werden)

Realmatze has done many parts of the translation weeks ago, now I do the rest.
    (ger: Realmatze hat noch viel von der Übersetzung gemacht, ich mache jetzt den letzten Rest.)

ToDo-List (updated 7 times):
    - Finishing PokéDex - Pokémon Descriptions (493 of/von 493) - DONE!
    - - (ger: PokéDex vervollständigen - Pokémonbeschreibungen)
    - Finishing Attacks Descriptions (110 of/von 357)
    - - (ger: Attackenbeschreibungen vervollständigen)

Everything else except some small texts are full done.
    (ger: Alles andere ausser einigen Kleinigkeiten ist fertig.)

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jun 25, 2009
    Thanks MagicMaker.

So, @poccil: there are some Problems with the translation, Like every "command" doesnt appear in the intl.txt and every line, that ends with \n won't be translated in the game, too.

maybe you should fix that, before releasing translations

(commands:
    WITHDRAW ITEM == Item nehmen
    DEPOSIT ITEM == Item ablegen
    TOSS ITEM == Item wegwerfen
    Cancel == Zurück)

and thisone:

trname=pbEnterText("Your name?",0,7) == trname=pbEnterText("Dein Name?",0,7)

And please add the new evolutions of f.ex. MAGNETON,MAGMAR,ELECTABUZZ and so on, so that they are able to evolve to their new forms..

Back