• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Looking to Teach My Kids

Years
    • Seen Dec 3, 2015
    Hello Everyone,

I am one of those that played the TCG when I was a kid in the late 90's/very early 2000's, and am now looking forward to getting my kids involved, and getting back involved myself. My kids are 4 and 5, well just about 5 and 6 in another month or two. I was wondering if there were certain sets that might be better to get to start with teaching them. It seems like the new sets are more complex than I remember back in my day (I think my last set release I ever had experience with was Team Rocket). Should I try to find the old stuff? Stick with the new stuff at WalMart? What do you experts recommend? :)

Thank you in advance!

Years
    Alright, so, there have been some rule changes since the '90s. Some are relatively major. Some not so much.

Best way to teach your kids the game and yourself the new rules is to grab a Trainer Kit deck. The most recent one features Latias and Latios and is from 2015.

It holds your hand through the first several turns in a pair of booklets it comes with, because it's using a pre-scripted early game to teach you/your kids the basics. If my memory serves, it also comes with a pocket copy of the rulebook.

Back