• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Looks like we can't link to anything in WLM 2009 anymore...

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Earlier today a few of us discovered that links don't show up at all for those using WLM 2009, they just appear as text and you need to c/p to see those links. And yes, it's more than just one person.

Our theory is it's due to WLM trying to get people to use the 2011 version by taking out links in 2009, but why... so minor. o_O

Apparently links work for 2011 versions, as well as 2008 (iirc?), idk about 2010, though. I know I ain't gunna upgrade, but ugh, kinda annoying >____>;

Any information or theories/thoughts on why this is so?

Years
  • It could be a problem that they just can't be bothered to fix, since it is a older version?
    But having a quick look around, I can't see anyone with that problem.

I know that in the options, you can tick a box that takes away hyperlinks, so maybe you ticked it accidentally?

WonderGirl

Bye bye :(
    Years
  • I know I found out ;__; But I absolutely hate 2011!! You can't even put a screen name! Where did privacy go? To be honest I rather go to 2008 than download the latest crappy one. Why is Windows screwing up everything these days. No wonder people are starting to prefer Google and Apple stuff.

Years
  • For those of you using Windows and Linux (Gnome/Xfce), it may be worth having a look into a program called Pidgin. It's an open source chat client that's a low more raw than WLM. Less shiny, but it's still an awesome program that can use all of the current chat protocols, such as MSN, Yahoo, Facebook, etc.

Microsoft had a great product in the first few generations of WLM, but they need to be shown that 2011 is just a mess.

Gerri Shin

  
    Years
  • For Mac Users there's Adium, basically the same thing as Pidgin, which is fathoms better than that dreck Microsoft calls WLM for Mac. I will say that the only thing Adium can't readily do, (correct me if I'm wrong) and also Pidgin can't either, is Video chat.

Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2024
    For those of you using Windows and Linux (Gnome/Xfce), it may be worth having a look into a program called Pidgin. It's an open source chat client that's a low more raw than WLM. Less shiny, but it's still an awesome program that can use all of the current chat protocols, such as MSN, Yahoo, Facebook, etc.

Microsoft had a great product in the first few generations of WLM, but they need to be shown that 2011 is just a mess.
    I used Pidgin for a year, but I switched to my current program, Trillian. It allows multiple networks also, and has apps for iPhone, Android, and BlackBerry.

Years
  • For Mac Users there's Adium, basically the same thing as Pidgin, which is fathoms better than that dreck Microsoft calls WLM for Mac. I will say that the only thing Adium can't readily do, (correct me if I'm wrong) and also Pidgin can't either, is Video chat.
    Well, Pidgin and Adium are based on the same open-source code, IIRC. IMO, Pidgin looks better to begin with, but Adium is a lot more customisable, making it look better in the long run.

I didn't think that Mac Messenger would be an issue, because most Mac users are going to use Adium, anyway. I do. I also don't know if this problem is reproduced in the Mac version.

Years
  • Guys, I figured out the problem.

Microsoft has disabled hyperlinking for WLM version 2009 due to a worm that's spreading through the hyperlinks. This problem is only temporary. I believe as soon as the worm is dealt with, hyperlinks should be enabled again.
    So in other words, everyone who appeared to be sending these messages (I received them but did not click) is infected?

Voltagenic

got djent?
    Years
    • Seen Oct 15, 2011
    Guys, I figured out the problem.

Microsoft has disabled hyperlinking for WLM version 2009 due to a worm that's spreading through the hyperlinks. This problem is only temporary. I believe as soon as the worm is dealt with, hyperlinks should be enabled again.

Thank you so much for this, I've been confused about this for the past couple of days.

Melody

Banned
    Years
  • Because of this worm, more often than not in the 2011 version, you have to go though a "Microsoft SmartScreen" page that reminds you to never input your username and password on a link you get from MSN. I've been researching how to disable that, since I think it's totally annoying...but I've had minimal luck. It certainly looks like Microsoft is just trying to combat Messenger worms.

Back