• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Please note that this section is for questions regarding the forum itself - it is not for fan game-related questions. If you have a question about a fan game, ask in the appropriate thread.

• Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Suggestion: Looooooooong Usernames??

Status
Not open for further replies.
    Years
    Just recently, I've seen a rediculously long username, which annoys me because it then makes the column for the usernames go in the "Last Reply" section of the forum, really wide and it doesn't fit all on my screen.

So my sugestion would be to cap username lengths at around 15-20 characters.

I'm not going to say any names, but this person has at least 35 characters in their usernames.

Years
    • Seen May 11, 2016
    I see no reason for people to have restrictions just because you think it's difficult to scroll over a bit. =/ It doesn't really seem to be affecting my computer, though, so maybe it's just the size/style of font you have your computer set to. It could also be your zoom. =x[/center​

Dukey

oh.my.gaskarth.
    Years
    All the usernames that are longer than about 30 characters are utterly ridiculous, and tbh you really don't need one that long anyway unless you're compensating for something? *shot*

I'd be all for reducing the maximum character limit with usernames.

Shadow

Original Flavor Darkness
    Years
    I see no reason for people to have restrictions just because you think it's difficult to scroll over a bit. =/ It doesn't really seem to be affecting my computer, though, so maybe it's just the size/style of font you have your computer set to. It could also be your zoom. =x[/center​

It's not about scrolling over. It's about the usernames destroying the columns on the forums and making everything look incredibly tacky.

That said, I really see no point in a long username. You want people to be able to easily refer to and remember you. Long usernames impede that process (why almost all business websites have short URLs).​

Peeky Chew

Master of Palettes
    Years
    I have a wide screen monitor. Half of the screen is actually grey space with the style I use on here. I find it impossible for someone to have such a low resolution they would have to scroll from side to side to see about 430 pixels. Even on the first computer I got, which was released over a decade ago, the resolution couldn't possibly go that small...
    The only way you wouldn't be able to see the whole name would be if you were on a mobile.

BHwolfgang

kamikorosu
    Years
    Not all of us have wide screen monitors..

Now, I know that members of Pokecommunity are allowed to have a name that is lesser than 36 characters, I find it unnecessary. There's always the user's custom title when one needs to say something long. This is just my opinion, by the way. However, I all for limiting the characters for usernames.

THIRTY-SIX

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Nov 18, 2015
    I have a wide screen monitor. Half of the screen is actually grey space with the style I use on here. I find it impossible for someone to have such a low resolution they would have to scroll from side to side to see about 430 pixels. Even on the first computer I got, which was released over a decade ago, the resolution couldn't possibly go that small...
    The only way you wouldn't be able to see the whole name would be if you were on a mobile.
    Some people use their phones or have a netbook and such. 1280x600 and saying 480px width is not much is saying 1/5 of the screen width isn't much? xD

Anyway I was gonna suggest 24 but seeing ramen post made me want to say make it twenty-two. Px

Looooooooong Usernames??

And that's with the start bar thing on hide.

Last edited:

Peeky Chew

Master of Palettes
    Years
    Some people use their phones or have a netbook and such. 1280x600 and saying 480px width is not much is saying 1/5 of the screen width isn't much? xD

Anyway I was gonna suggest 24 but seeing ramen post made me want to say make it twenty-two. Px
    I said 430 px actually. And even ancient computers have larger displays. So do netbooks, if they had smaller there wouldn't be enough room for even windows xp to display. Of course lots of phones don't (although my 3 year old candy bar style one does), but you can't count them.

Edit: That's 1024 pixels wide, way bigger than the 430 px name including avatar.

THIRTY-SIX

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Nov 18, 2015
    The issue isn't the height. It's the width… non wide screen 17" were usually 1280x1024. wxh

Now I don't know what they are now… but there aren't a lot of kids who can spend hundreds of pounds/ dollars on screens. Or even for that matter have their own computer… well except maybe a spoilt brat though…

Oh it wasn't a 1/5 it was a third. xD

[jq]Edit: That's 1024 pixels wide, way bigger than the 430 px name including avata[/jq]

1280x1024

width by height I believe… oh wait no it isn't

And this is regarding the new posts column…

Last edited:

luke

Master of the Elements
    Years
    Not going to happen. You guys can just suck it up and deal with it. An user name is a way for someone to express themselves on a forum and if they want to use the maximum characters, they can.

THIRTY-SIX

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Nov 18, 2015
    At least leave a gap… also this isn't my default screen size but … and yea I usually use standard but yea…

Looooooooong Usernames??

Serene Grace

Pokémon Trainer
    Years
    Actually, I've been wondering if someone from the admin team could edit the postbit legacy code so that the text on the left is wrapped - this should move the text onto another line when it gets too long.

THIRTY-SIX

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Nov 18, 2015
    Without a gap would it make a difference? Also yea kinda singling that guy out in the example. Dx

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back