• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Love has no boundaries

Bluerang1

pin pin
    Years
    I was wondering what you guys think of age's role in relationships. Multi-age relationships are accepted more now than they were in the past. Teens are dating now even pre-teens and younger. People in their 50s+ are in relationships with some young enough to be their grandchildren ^^ It seems older women and younger men relationships are more accepted than vice versa. Why is this?

How about love with things that aren't human, like animals and object. Is this right? Should something, should the government, do something about it? Discuss :)

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    While I do find it uncomfortable to see an old man with a teenage girl and the other way around, I believe anyone can fall in love with anyone. Limiting age and sex aren't something I tend to do when I think of relationships with people. Love can stem between any two people at any moment in time. It's blind to those things that so many people tend to feel are such an importance.

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2022
    I think that love shouldn't have a age limit. As much as it's weird to see a teenage girl with a elderly man, all that matters it that they love and care for each other.

Years
    It seems older women and younger men relationships are more accepted than vice versa. Why is this?
    Well, I think that's not the case everywhere. There are reasons and thoughts why some people think it's more acceptable or less acceptable.

When there's a relationship with a much older man there's a kind of worry that there might be a power issue involved, like the younger half might be 100% into the relationship at some point, but feels like they can't get out because of some kind of power (physical, financial, or something else) the older man has. When the woman is older there's kind of an assumption that she can't be bullied by a much younger partner. So it boils down to our perceptions of how men and women act.

But then there's the other aspect which has to do with how lots of cultures are more male-oriented inasmuch as we perceive and accept things more from the standpoint of a man than a woman. So when you get an older man dating a younger woman it's okay because youth = attractive and that's what men want while a younger man dating an older woman is less acceptable because age = unattractive. /gross generalization

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    No, absolutely not. I think the age of consent law is quite enough already. If we start introducing new ones then we're just reverting back to our restrictive, traditional ways. Once two people are over the age of consent then age no longer matters.

Plus older people are way more attractive than annoying teens.

ASG

ANTI-SPAM GUN
    Years
    Limit? No. But a sure fire way to convince 12 year old kids that they're not in love would be nice.

groteske

lurker
    Years
    • NC
    • Seen Feb 20, 2012
    Funny this topic came up - at a show this past weekend there was a couple who appeared to have a good 20+ years between them. Most of us thought she was his daughter. They looked happy enough, so fine for them; it's their decision and they have to roll with it. But not everyone's cut out for either handling the possible immaturity of a younger partner, or dealing with someone who's in a different stage of life.

SO and I are 12 years apart, and have had very little in terms of age-related problems. Been together a little under two years and marriage is a mutual likelihood. Some people don't feel comfortable with a large age gap, and that's their prerogative. It's a case-by-case thing.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
    It's fine, but it's still a bit weird. One of the few things I ever liked from xkcd was the creepy formula. age/2 + 7. Seems to work just fine when I want to know if a relationship is creepy or not.

Also, I think that the idea that children can't "fall in love" is silly. Love is man-made creation anyway, it is whatever we wish it to be. Saying that it's impossible for children to understand is asinine.

Still, that age difference can sometimes give me the shivers.

Funny this topic came up - at a show this past weekend there was a couple who appeared to have a good 20+ years between them. Most of us thought she was his daughter. They looked happy enough, so fine for them; it's their decision and they have to roll with it. But not everyone's cut out for either handling the possible immaturity of a younger partner, or dealing with someone who's in a different stage of life.

SO and I are 12 years apart, and have had very little in terms of age-related problems. Been together a little under two years and marriage is a mutual likelihood. Some people don't feel comfortable with a large age gap, and that's their prerogative. It's a case-by-case thing.
    33/2 + 7 = 23.5. Yeah, that's breaking the creepy rule.

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    Love knows no bounds. Love is blind.

We should let people who love each other form romantic and sexual relationships without outside interference regardless of gender, age, race, etc.

Masqueraine

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Jul 25, 2011
    No underaged love for me, sorry. I feel like more often than not kids don't understand 'love' and all it entails, and uhh.. if they're underaged isn't that pedophilia? Love all you want but it's illegal!

Otherwise I'm cool with it. Although the difference between an 83 year old man and a 20 year old woman is far greater than that of a 30 year old man and a 14 year old girl, I think that after a certain point in your life you're ready to be in a relationship and understand fully what you're getting into. That point is usually not before 16.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
    Years
    Barring paedophilia, it's fine. The Hugh Hefners and the Stephenie Meyers of the world have made the entire concept creepy, but in reality noone can help who they love, nor should they be expected to.

I do believe some of the ridicule these couples receive can be their own fault, though - namely the ones in the public eye. I often see articles in my mother's magazines about celebrity couples with age differences and they try and bash you over the head with the fact that there is nothing wrong with what they're doing. This is absolutely true, but if your relationship is normal, why do you feel the need to draw attention to it?

Dawn

[span="font-size:180%;font-weight:900;color:#a568f
    Years
    Platonic love has no boundaries.

Only when sex becomes involved does it start hitting walls left and right. Age. Orientation. They're both significant boundaries that to be blunt, are there for a dang good reason.

To be honest, nobody has the right to tell us how we should feel about an older person dating a significantly younger person. If we want to look down on it and find it creepy, that's our right.

Femme Fatale

THE FEMME FATALE!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 20, 2011
    You love who you love...whether people like it or not is up to them, you shouldn't put a law on love (unless it's pedophilia or necrophilia etc)

Narcissist

Living Libertine
    Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2011
    It's not something I'd engage in myself but if someone wants to date someone older than them, we can hardly put a law on it. Though obviously it's not so 'okay' (and actually illegal) when it involves paedophilia and such. Also, if there's an age difference because the person they're dating is actually their own grandfather, that's where I start to think it's getting a bit too rich for my tastes.

Years
    • Seen Jan 4, 2013
    before my dad died he was 16 years my mom's senior, and they were madly in love. he wasn't rich, she wasn't promiscuous, they were just two good people whose personalities clicked and they enjoyed spending their lives together. there's a special person in my life right now who is 15 years my senior, and our relationship functions just fine.

as long as the relationship is consensual, i see no problem with it. that said, i don't think children are wise enough to sincerely consent to a relationship with an adult, neither are animals and neither are objects. there's nothing wrong with "being in love" (however you define that) with a child or an animal, but i do see something wrong with assuming their feelings with you are mutual and taking on a forced relationship with them.

Cariad

world.search(you);
    Years
    • Seen Oct 25, 2023
    Love has no boundaries indeed. That law would be awfull! If love is really true, then age, race, hair, etc doesn't matter!
    My dad is seven years older than my mum. My mum was married when she was 18, and when she first met my dad, she lied about her age she was so in love. You see?
    Obviously, a eighty year old and a fourteen year old is sick, and THAT shouldn't be allowed.

My boyfriend is 3 years older than me. Got a problem with THAT?

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
    Years
    Sometimes I do believe in the saying "age ain't nothing but a number" but if you are a lets say an 11 year old female and you are going out with someone twice your age then it is not acceptable. If it's a teenage girl going out with an adult man, then I feel that its alright because maybe she is old enough to be in a type of relationship like that so I do not critize something like that.

:t354:TG

Azonic

hello friends
    Years
    Love have no boundaries, but I don't think you should act on it unless both sides are completely aware and comfortable. Of course a teenager can fall in love with a 70 year old man, it's possible.

I don't know much about pedophilia, but I would suppose that an older person CAN fall in love with a younger child. He definitely shouldn't act on it for the child is just underdeveloped and unaware and helpless. Same with like, bestiality. You can love a horse, but the horse ain't gonna wanna have sex with you so please don't rape the horse lol.

Back