• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Lt. Surge the American

Bonzai-Cat

The Best Around
    Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2011
    Alright In the Game they describe Lt. Surge as the Lightning American. What I wish to know, is he an American in the Japanese version of the game, or did they merely call him that for the Western versions of the game?

IIMarckus

J946@5488AA97464
    Years
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    Lt. Surge the American

クチバ シティ ポケモン ジム リーダー マチス イナズマ アメリカン!
    Kuchiba City Pokémon Gym leader: Machisu, Lightning American!

DGexe

Taunter
    Years
    ok that proves hes really american. I guess in the japanese for Fantina she would also be american.

I thought Fatina was (according to her accent in the English versions; not sure about Japanese) French? She peppers her speech with French words and phrases...

But on topic, mostly, yeah... Lt. Surge is American, as it has already been pointed out. ^^;

Azzurra

Banned
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen May 3, 2013
    Lieutenant Surge is 100% American, look at his face, and his clothes.
    It's obvious that he has been serving in the armed forces.

coolcatkim22

Team Rocket's Rockin'
    Years
    Ash: You're not American! You're not even wearing a flag on your head.
    Lt. Surge: You're right. I must have left it back home. In America.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
    I thought Fatina was (according to her accent in the English versions; not sure about Japanese) French? She peppers her speech with French words and phrases...
    I believe she was made French for the American release. Her Japanese name is Merisa/Melissa, which is American. At least that's what I heard.

Back on topic, the Japanese screencap pretty much verifies that Surge is American. Does anyone know if he uses American phrases when you speak to him in the Japanese version?

Bonzai-Cat

The Best Around
    Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2011
    Well now that it is Unanimously been said that Lt. Surge is American. Does anyone feel weird that knowing in the world of Pokemon there is America? Something about that just ruins the fantasy of Pokemon

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
    Not at all. In my fan-fiction's universe, America is a very real part of the world - my main character's even from South Carolina! With Lt. Surge an American, it clearly shows that the Pokemon canon (game-wise, at least) agrees that America does exist in the Pokemon world.

IIMarckus

J946@5488AA97464
    Years
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    Back on topic, the Japanese screencap pretty much verifies that Surge is American. Does anyone know if he uses American phrases when you speak to him in the Japanese version?
    English words are sprinkled throughout the text, and he uses occasional phrases like "Poor little boy" composed entirely of English words.

Years
    I think all of the real world references they make in the games (they made them especially in the original games and as such the remakes) kind of ruin the Pokemon mythology for me. Mew being found in South American is ridiculous, and Lt. Surge being an American, etc... All of the Pokemon games take place in made up regions of a nation and at this point are now featuring Pokemon that control space and time, Pokemon that helped create the universe (Mesprit, Azelf, Uxie), and a Pokemon deity (Arceus). Referencing the real world ruins this, because they're now making Pokemon practically a religion in the games. It ruins the fantasy.

See Final Fantasy games, Lord of the Rings, etc. for good examples of fantasy worlds. Pokemon doesn't cut it.

coolcatkim22

Team Rocket's Rockin'
    Years
    I think all of the real world references they make in the games (they made them especially in the original games and as such the remakes) kind of ruin the Pokemon mythology for me. Mew being found in South American is ridiculous, and Lt. Surge being an American, etc... All of the Pokemon games take place in made up regions of a nation and at this point are now featuring Pokemon that control space and time, Pokemon that helped create the universe (Mesprit, Azelf, Uxie), and a Pokemon deity (Arceus). Referencing the real world ruins this, because they're now making Pokemon practically a religion in the games. It ruins the fantasy.

See Final Fantasy games, Lord of the Rings, etc. for good examples of fantasy worlds. Pokemon doesn't cut it.

I always thought that the Pokemon world was some sort of earth. I mean, it has animals, plants, cultures and other things that are found here so why not.

Years

I hate to break it to you, but all of the regions in the main RPG's are based on real locations. For example Kanto is based on the real-life Kanto in Japan and Orre is based on the state of Arizona.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pokémon_regions

Pingouin_7

... And Hoenn is a little Island on the south, and Sinnoh is Hokkaido.

Lt. Surge the American

Back