• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Lyrics and vocals, or sound and instruments?

Jak

daяk εco frεak
Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Dec 23, 2014
    It's a combination of both for me. Some songs I prefer the lyrics, some I prefer the instrumentation, and then my favorites tend to just have the perfect blend. Kings of Leon, I'm looking at you.

Years
    • Seen Feb 24, 2011
    I can't really choose, but lyrics are far more important than sound or instruments, without those meaningful lyrics the song would be a trash.

moments.

quixotic
    Years
  • Definitely the music itself. I am a super fan of instrumental pieces of music, and while I myself am a singer, I find the actual music more consistently able to move people.

Obviously it depends on the individual songs, but I am rarely moved or impressed by the lyrics of a song. Not so much the words as how it is sung and the notes used, which I guess just confirms the first point really. :P

Years
  • As a singer myself, it has to be the lyrics and vocals :)

It's funny, I find that while the vocals are incredibly important, I have a tendency to neglect the lyrics. The instrumental sound is important to me as well, though. Clarity is very important to me as well. It it's too muddy to pick out each instrument and the vocals, it's a waste.

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
    Years
  • I listen to a lot of instrumental music so it's obviously the sound rather than the lyrics or vocals. Though I noticed I don't really tend to like listening to women singing :C Like probably 97% of my itunes list is either entirely instrumental, or has male vocalists.

Years
    • Seen Mar 11, 2020
    A little of everything for me~
    I like the music mostly depending on the lyrics, and how they're "displayed". Ya know?
    The songs have to have good words, and feeling behind them, otherwise it's not so great....
    But, since drumming is my thing I always listen for the drums, and lead vocalist first~! ;)

Years
  • It's funny, I find that while the vocals are incredibly important, I have a tendency to neglect the lyrics. The instrumental sound is important to me as well, though. Clarity is very important to me as well. It it's too muddy to pick out each instrument and the vocals, it's a waste.

I think the vocals would be the most fundamental thing for me as well :) Lyrics perhaps not as strongly important, and of course it helps if it's acoustically pleasing, but I try to judge it on if there were no backing instruments and just the voice, would I still like it? That's why I go so strongly for vocals :)

RYOUKI

survive the world.
    Years
  • I'd say lyrics but I mostly listen to japanese songs that I can't understand so..

Anyways, I think sound and instruments are important. I really don't like slow songs, so if I hear a slow melody, you can expect me not to listen to it. The only slow songs I listen to are... fast faced slow songs?

Years
  • For me, it's the composition that's most important. Melodies and rhythm. Then the sound quality, then the vocals, and by last, the lyrics.

It doesn't mean I don't appreciate lyrics, I just find the instrumental part much more important.

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
  • Sound and instruments for me. Lyrics are good to convey messages, though; however, I see them mainly as song enhancers. However, nearly all lyrics use the heavily overused yet liked technique of rhyme, which kind of give every song an edge. However, sounds are just...amazing; I can't describe it exactly. They sound intriguing, because some sounds can convey emotions which would be lost if one tried to express the same meaning in words. I also tend to listen to instrumentals of various songs as well.

Also, I listen to videogame music a lot, which is very hummable to boot. I think people who compose videogame music have to be a bit more creative in the process. A lot of lyrical tracks get away with repeating parts of instrumentals in the song, but in videogame industry, repetition within songs is much more obvious due to no differing lyrics.

I mean, a song could have the catchiest/most meaningful lyrics ever, but if the tune is no good, it will be unlikely that people will be singing the song.

As for best instrumental IMO...this particular song takes the cake even without the catchy lyrics. The intro, the bridge, the "refrain", the solo, and the outro have awesomeness of sheer epic proportions. :cer_boogie:

Harmonie

Winds ღ
    Years
  • I like a good combination of both, however when it comes down to it, it's the instruments that typically make a song for me.

It's obvious because I love classical music. However, vocals can ruin a song for me. Particularly metal screaming and growling. I can LOVE the music in the background but if that screaming is there the song becomes unlistenable for me. D:

Lyrics themselves aren't that important to me. I like the musical part.

Rainy Day

Perfect Weather
    Years
  • Both are equally important to me. I like bands like Switchfoot, who have deep and contemplative lyrics about humanity and I also like bands like The Seatbelts and Metric, who are almost entirely music-based.

Back