• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Mac OS X Snow Leopard vs. Windows Seven

Apple Inc.

This Changes Everything. Again
Years
  • The next two major Operating System releases. Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard. And Microsoft Windows Se7en.

Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard: This release is to really focused more on performance than end user features like Leopard was. It will allow it to better use multiple cores of a processor and allows Exhange use in Mail, Address Book, and iCal. It also allows for a theoretical 16 TB of ram. It is also going all 64-Bit. They will be dropping PowerPC support completing their software transition to Intel. And all the base applications will be migrating to the Cocoa API.

Windows Se7en: This is basicly what Windows VIsta should've been. It is supposed to have better performance on lower specs and have an easier to use interface such as enhancements in the taskbar and Similar interfaces between Office 2007 and Wordpad and paint.

So which do you think is going to have more success.

Snow Leopard wont be a major upgrade like Windows 7 will be but Leopard was the major one with all the changes and 7 will be Windows' Leopard. A lot more features and better performance in the system.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Feb 16, 2020
    You should also note that Snow Leopard will be the first Mac OS X release that will not support PowerPC-based machines, as well as the fact that it will fully migrate its base applications (eg the Finder) to the Cocoa API for the first time.

Gerri Shin

  
    Years
  • it will be interesting to see just how much of a speed boost Grand Central will make. I'm hoping that Snow leopard will be able to enable 4-finger gestures on at least the early 2008 multi-touch trackpads as that would be great as well as finally having all of the main programs be in cocoa. (it will also be interesting to see how rosetta, and those programs that still need it, is going to work without PPC support)

as for windows 7 I already see a lot of potential in it even in beta form, as long as Microsoft doesn't do what they did with Vista and release it too early by cutting out a bunch of features.

Apple Inc.

Years
  • it will be interesting to see just how much of a speed boost Grand Central will make. I'm hoping that Snow leopard will be able to enable 4-finger gestures on at least the early 2008 multi-touch trackpads as that would be great as well as finally having all of the main programs be in cocoa. (it will also be interesting to see how rosetta, and those programs that still need it, is going to work without PPC support)

as for windows 7 I already see a lot of potential in it even in beta form, as long as Microsoft doesn't do what they did with Vista and release it too early by cutting out a bunch of features.

what exactly are the 4 finger gestures anyway

Spinor

<i><font color="b1373f">The Lonely Physicist</font
    Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2019
    Windows 7 for sure has the most potential.

I've already tried it for weeks and it is the best damn system I've ever used. Of course, a few compatability bugs here and there but that is minor.

I never liked Macs anyways. Windows 7 is a lot awesomer than I expected. The paint use and features are upgraded and WAY better :D.

Shirayuki Mizore

Pokemon Raptor is STILL going?
    Years
  • They both have pretty much the same main idea to them, make it's performance better. Whindoze 7 has a new taskbar. OMGLOL SO KEWL!111111

The superbar is actually pretty ugly, and what I find annoying is how people are getting all excited at the thumbnail feature. Such "new" technology.

Anyways, Snow Leopard is bound to have GUI changes to. Everything remade for the Cocoa API. It'd be unnatural not to have it look somewhat different.

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2009
    Well, I'll be updating my Leopard to Snow Leopard.
    I honestly hated Vista. Hopefully this new one will make up for it.

Years
    • Seen Dec 8, 2023
    They both have pretty much the same main idea to them, make it's performance better. Whindoze 7 has a new taskbar. OMGLOL SO KEWL!111111

The superbar is actually pretty ugly, and what I find annoying is how people are getting all excited at the thumbnail feature. Such "new" technology.

Anyways, Snow Leopard is bound to have GUI changes to. Everything remade for the Cocoa API. It'd be unnatural not to have it look somewhat different.
    The new taskbar is cool and is fantastic to use along with Aero Peek. Windows 7 all around is actually a pretty smooth ride so far, and a much better OS than XP.

it's perfectly fine looking, and people are less excited over thumbnails and more about how they're being utilised.

Glitchfinder

Let's all get along, please?
    Years
  • First off, there is a MAJOR difference between the two. Windows 7 no longer comes with the proprietary windows programs that always clogged up a clean install. (I'm not talking about when you buy it from a manufacturer, but when you install the OS from scratch) Instead, they allow you to download what you want. Not only that, but they are streamlining performance, speed, and compatability. (The compatability doesn't seem any better at this point though) It is much faster, boots up extremely quickly, and is much more effiecient at, well, everything. The real problems come in once they start in on older software. I can't get programs that used to work just fine on Vista to even start on 7. Still, it is a beta, and bound to improve. And, just for good measure: I hate the mac interface. It may look good, but I really don't like how it works. Windows is straightforward and doesn't hide everything behind a pretty picture. (Although it seems headed that way)

Apple Inc.

Years
  • From what I am hearing compatibility between hardware adn Seven will be the same as things were in Vista. Unlike Vista which dropped support for loads of things.

Pazuzu

Flushing Meadows
    Years
  • From what I am hearing compatibility between hardware adn Seven will be the same as things were in Vista. Unlike Vista which dropped support for loads of things.

We tried it several old machines at work, and 7 installed drivers for all devices they had.
    Those machines were around 4-5 years old, and anything older than that shouldn't even be running 7, so it's just right that it doesn't come with drivers for such old junk to bloat the image size.

Kenneth Alog

Infectus Raiken
    Years
  • It might Windows 7!
    Cause I'm using it! already (Public Beta)
    It's faster than XP. But I think Snow Leopard might be cool so I think both.
    But compatibility it the problem, MS is fixing all the incompatibility problems.
    ObjectDock works on 7, I wish Apple would make Snow Leopard compatible with more Software
    like A-Map and what we mostly use on the Windows OS.

Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Apr 2, 2012
    A-Map was developed for windows by the developers.

I agree windows 7 is better than vista, also on the public beta, and when I posted it on a different forum a user said W7 could open 300 internet pages before crashing unlike Vista's 25.

Leopard is nice and will full carbon support SL should be even better.

I have also said it time and time again, Windows 7 has the much harder task of impressing everyone because Windows is so big.

M$'s problem is that they offered the ability for any hardware compatible with Windows so have to make sure all the hardware still works.

Apple on the other hand say we make Mac's how we want so this hardware is compatible, whilst yes unused hardware from Apple is capable of running Mac OS but that is through hardcore, poor fans. (Mac OSx86)

As to software compatibility W7 is based on the Vista framework, only better, so developers don't have to make as bigger a leap.

蜃気楼

Jirachi Fan
    Years
    • Seen Feb 27, 2010
    I tried Windows 7, it's better than Vista, but I did not try any Mac OSX.

Raven-NAR-32450

The Great and Powerful RAVEN
    Years
  • as a person whos never really used a mac before, i have to say that windows 7 is better, and as somone whos used the nightmare that is Vista i can certainly say that yes 7 is better.
    As for the Snow Leopard what kind of motherboard can hold 16 GB of RAM i don't even think they make RAM sticks that are high enough to do that......but do not quote me nor insult me, i just say what i know.......
    but honestly i just like windows and 7 seems so much better

Apple Inc.

Years
  • as a person whos never really used a mac before, i have to say that windows 7 is better, and as somone whos used the nightmare that is Vista i can certainly say that yes 7 is better.
    As for the Snow Leopard what kind of motherboard can hold 16 GB of RAM i don't even think they make RAM sticks that are high enough to do that......but do not quote me nor insult me, i just say what i know.......
    but honestly i just like windows and 7 seems so much better

Well Actually Mac Pro computers have what I believe to be 8 Slots now which are capable of 2-4 GB per slot. And I believe you meant 16 Terabytes of Ram.

Amaruuk

[span="letter-spacing: -2px;"][b]└──[/b]►[/span]TY
    Years
    • Age 35
    • She/Her
    • Seen Mar 19, 2024
    I'm one of the few who doesn't have any real beef with Vista, but seeing Windows 7 has gotten me so excited for the release, which hopefully will be as epic as it claims to be. I find myself wishing I could use the features like jiggling the window to isolate it or dragging them to the sides of the screen and such right now. And the device management thing? AWESOME. I've got gadgets out the wazoo. I need that. Also, better performance = not having to get a new computer just for a speed boost = saving monies! New computer feeling without new computer price! :D

As for the Mac, the only Macs I've worked with were ones from middle school and before (pre-iMac and early iMacs, like those neon-colored things) and ones here at my college (which recently were upgraded from Tiger to Leopard), so I'm not as experienced with the ins and outs of the current Macs. I do like Macs, though, and I'm planning to get one (Graphic Design FTW), I just can't afford to yet.

Back