• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Magearna's Role

jombii

[FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][SIZE=4][COLOR=#00b05
Years
  • So we had Magearna as the very first Pokemon introduced for the new games. What do you think will be her role in the story? Does she even have a role?

I, for one, think she'll just be an event Pokemon. I don't see her someone as a staple Pokemon to the story.

Years
  • I do think Magearna will be an event distribution as well, considering it was revealed to be a mythical Pokemon and those Pokemon tend to be only available via events.

Years
    • Seen Jun 8, 2020
    Given the lack of a real introduction as to what Magearna is, we can't be too positive. However, just speculating here, I do believe that if this is not a distribmon and will play a significant role in the title of each game.

pkmin3033

Magearna's very Diancie-ish (Diancish?) design makes me think that it won't have much of, if any, role in the games at all, outside of being that early event Legendary that everyone gets their hands on early and then forgets about. I can't see it being a mascot Legendary or a version exclusive at the very least, given its early reveal...unless the mascots for Sun and Moon are Volcanion and Magearna, anyway. Which, whilst it could be made to fit thematically, is almost certainly not going to be the case.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • I think it'll be an event mon, but unlike other event legends it'll be unlocked by trading Volcanion to S/M and getting it to a certain location, similar to Celebi and Zorua in a building in Castelia, or the Shiny beasts and Zoroark in the forested area east of Nimbasa in BW.

Shiny

content creator on twitch
    Years
  • I would be disappointed if Magearna was an event pokemon, purely because I think if it's important enough to be a legendary, then it should play a part in the storyline of the region and therefore available in-game.

Years
  • It has unfortunately been established as a Mythical Pokémon Jubilation. Exclude Deoxys *since he wasn't new on ORAS* it will definitely some type of event Pokémon. I think that we will just obtain it by an in game event.

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
  • I was hoping that it would not be another legendary mon that's pretty much oversaturated for the past couple of years though its highly likely its another of those "event only" legendaries. I remember Lucario and Zoroark being rather iconic mons of their respective generations in both the games and other media (anime), and they weren't legendary mons to begin with.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • If the storyline focuses on technology and machinery, then I could imagine how Magearna would fit into this being an artificial Pokemon. On the other hand it could just be another Mythical Pokemon that you can capture post-storyline

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023
    Magearna is most likely like Mew, Celebi and Jirachi. So she won't play any part in the game's story. We'll get her as event exclusive handouts.

LilBueno

Boy Wonder
    Years
  • Part of me was thinking that Gamefreak might suckerpunch us and have Magearna and Volcanion as the legendary mascots, but now I'm guessing that's highly unlikely since Volcanion has its spot at the end of the Gen VI dex.

SnowpointQuincy

Seeker of FRIEND CODES
    Years
  • Based on the overall design and the movie trailer, I think Magearna is inspired be Davinci's inventions. I think that is the core idea behind this Pokemon.
    Maybe that theme will be important throughout Sun/Moon, or maybe just this one Pokemon.

pkmin3033

Looking at it historically, more movie Legendaries have been event Pokemon or had no role at all in the games. Whilst that trend was reversed slightly for the Gen IV and V movies, more often than not the starring Legendary in the movie has had no role in the games. If that holds true, the best Magearna can hope for is being the local guardian/inspiration for a location in the new games. Since Volcanion is the last Pokemon in the current Pokedex, unless these are Gen VI continuations I don't think it can expect even that much.

Back