• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Mainstream vs. Independent/Alternative Music

Geometric-sama

The Manly Man of Steel
Years
  • I've found that most of the US/Canadian music I like is very mainstream, but here in Australia where I live most mainstream bands/artists are pretty boring, and with a few exceptions my favourites are all independent or alternative bands. When people ask me about my favourite Australian bands I'll name things like Something with Numbers, Kisschasy and In The Grey, and they're all like "what the?". What do you think about mainstream vs. alternative music?

Raderick

1 + 1 = 3
    Years
  • So, whatever happen to Silverchair? :P

I find that eventually, mainstream music is the music that catches on the fan that wants to listen to a catchy tune and wants to relate it. Independant music is the same exact way, just not as popular. Doesn't mean they arn't good bands, they simply either haven't experienced the exposure of say a major record deal, airtime on the FM dial or one of the major music video channels.

Remember though, anything that has a catchy tune and has a beat, it's pop. (No, not the Britney Spears pop). Good Charlotte is pop, Nirvana is pop, hell, going to the extreme, Slipknot and Ramstein are pop. It doesn't matter how it sounds.

kill.harp

Kagemane master
    Years
  • Meh. The experience that most people can agree with is that (saying you don't like mainstream) when bands go on the radio, most of the time it's not as good as their older stuff. I know, for example, Modest Mouse's new CD wasn't as good (to me).

Mainstream, though, I would say is just played on the radio. A lot of stuff isn't played on the radio but has the same effect as those things that are.

To comment on what Raderick said, I don't think that Nirvana, Slipnot, or Rammstein are pop, as in the genre, but more so they are popular. But then again, most things are, it's just who you're talking to. A lot of bands I know are very popular but aren't played on the radio, and a lot of things have catchy tunes.

All in all, I'd say I like things other than mainstream only because that's how it works out. Also, if you don't listen to the radio it's harder to be so biased to things. Any of my views could change, by the way, at any point need be.

Raderick

1 + 1 = 3
    Years
  • kill.harp said:
    Meh. The experience that most people can agree with is that (saying you don't like mainstream) when bands go on the radio, most of the time it's not as good as their older stuff. I know, for example, Modest Mouse's new CD wasn't as good (to me).

Mainstream, though, I would say is just played on the radio. A lot of stuff isn't played on the radio but has the same effect as those things that are.

To comment on what Raderick said, I don't think that Nirvana, Slipnot, or Rammstein are pop, as in the genre, but more so they are popular. But then again, most things are, it's just who you're talking to. A lot of bands I know are very popular but aren't played on the radio, and a lot of things have catchy tunes.

There are two kinds of pop in this culture.

POP - The genre, as in Avril, Christina, Britney, etc.
    POP - When you make good quality music that sounds good and catches on.

Just want to clear the picture. :)

kill.harp

Kagemane master
    Years
  • Meh. I disregard that theory, believing there is:

Pop - the sur-genre/genre. I.e. pop-punk, bubblegum-pop, pop-rock.
    Pop(ular) - I can't really describe it beyond that it is popular by standards of large company radio stations and advertised by tv/etc. I.e. I guess you could say rap, Clash, Ramones, etc.

Either way that's just my opinion.

Geometric-sama

The Manly Man of Steel
    Years
  • To come back to your original question, I think Silverchair is crap :P. And they're not around at the moment anyway, they're all doing side projects XD

Geometric-sama

The Manly Man of Steel
    Years
  • Just the same as me, everyone hates Good Charlotte. But GC pwnz j00~ XD

I just found out that my three favourite Aussie bands are all on the same independent label, and one of my favourite US bands also distributes through that label.

Back