• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Majora's Mask 3D

Dustmop

[i]Fight for what makes you happy[/i]
    Years
    • Seen Nov 27, 2022
    I got the game two days ago. I'm actually a little disappointed. It's my favourite in the series after all.

snip

Officially less disappointed with Amazon's snail shipping.

Boyfriend ordered it 'next day' on Friday. Tuesday morning, it's still on the other side of the state. Come on.
    Majora's Mask 3D

Although I'm still a little hopeful it'll be better than all the old fans are saying it is. There's this little, tiny glimmer of hope in there. I mean, what am I gonna do if it's crap? Try to find a Wii Classic Controller for my Wii U? :pink_tongue:

Belldandy

[color=teal][b]Ice-Type Fanatic[/b][/color]
    Years
    Officially less disappointed with Amazon's snail shipping.

Boyfriend ordered it 'next day' on Friday. Tuesday morning, it's still on the other side of the state. Come on.
    Majora's Mask 3D

Although I'm still a little hopeful it'll be better than all the old fans are saying it is. There's this little, tiny glimmer of hope in there. I mean, what am I gonna do if it's crap? Try to find a Wii Classic Controller for my Wii U? :pink_tongue:

Yeah, I have a Classic Controller for my WiiU and have the Majora's Mask game (got it a year or two ago when it was 250P at NA Club Nintendo).

It's not a bad game; it just was better. They dumbed it down for a generation of whiners who can't take a challenge. The animation when Odolwa is introduced is so freakin' stupid. The eye just comes out of nowhere on top of his head and glares at you like "LOOKEE HERE HIT ME SOMEHOW" when before it was a test of patience, accuracy and skill.

So disappoint :pink_no: but like I said, it went from 19.5/20 for me to 16/20. The story is still my favourite ever in the series. The characters, although OoT rehashes typically, are intriguing and you interact with everyone at some point or another. I thought the ease-up on the Bomber Notebook missions was uncalled for, but it's not awful. The real culprit for the point drop is just overall how dumbed down they made it :pink_no: save points everywhere, no-miss aiming with the Deku Shrub... they even made the flowers in the Deku Palace stop moving until you land on them, and they create a hole outside to make it easier to get water if you screw up dumping it on the magic bean the first time. I've screwed that up in the past and had to work my way back through the guarded maze to get more water to get all the way back to use.

It's just all these little things they changed that, sure, if it was actually one little thing it wouldn't be so bad, but they've altered:

- Bosses
    - Savepoints
    - Quests
    - Locations

and everything inbetween to make it ridiculously easy :pink_no:

Still 16/20, but the original takes the cake. OoT and OoT 3DS kept the same points for me because it was a true remake. Majora's Mask remake has too many alterations in favour of the "new crowd". If you're going to do that, at least introduce a "classic mode" for old fans who liked the challenge :pink_frown:

Belldandy

Years
    This is Odolwa (original):

and the 3DS version:

Look at original 1:40-2:10. Those bugs don't even exist in the remake. Remake doesn't shield; Odolwa just stands there and takes it. Doesn't even have the spin attack in the remake, or the fire... It was a joke lol so disappoint :pink_no:

skyluigi2 said:
    This is my first time playing through Majora's Mask and it's great so far. One of the most unique Zelda titles I've played.

Yay! It's the best in the series :pink_nod: for me, anyway. Definitely a darker twist on the usual peppy and colourful world of Zelda.

Morkula

[b][color=#356F93]Get in the Game[/color][/b]
    Years
    Save points are a much-welcome addition, especially since this is a portable game. And why are you actually complaining about the Deku aiming? They just added a reticle that keeps it from being total trial and error. :P

The boss fight changes seem dumb though from the footage I've seen...though I haven't actually gotten to Woodfall yet and actually fought a boss, haha.

Belldandy

Years
    Save points are a much-welcome addition, especially since this is a portable game. And why are you actually complaining about the Deku aiming? They just added a reticle that keeps it from being total trial and error. :P

The boss fight changes seem dumb though from the footage I've seen...though I haven't actually gotten to Woodfall yet and actually fought a boss, haha.

I just didn't find those tweaks necessary. They're not a harsh score deduction for me (maybe 0.5-1.0), but God the boss battles are awful now :pink_no:

I just found that being patient, meticulate and efficient was part of the challenge in the game, and now they've gone and mucked it up to be super easy for the new generation.

Again, a "classic" mode would've been more than welcome :pink_tongue: then there'd be nothing for anyone to complain about. Ah well.

Years
    I am really excited/nervous/etc. to get this game- when I eventually have 40 bucks to spare, most likely towards spring when my electric bill isn't so ridiculously high---
    Rambling, sorry. Anyway. I have spent countless hours playing Majora's Mask on the Nintendo 64. I remember the day I got the game all shiny gold with the holo picture. I absolutely loved how in depth the game went. There was so much to do, so many different stories to follow and the challenges that were created due to the time feature made me enjoy the game on a whole new level. I'm really interested to see how this remake changed the original gameplay. I loved the dark, kind of spooky elements to it as well. Definitely my top three favorite out of the series, and I've played them all save Spirit Tracks and Skyward Sword. I'm interested in reading everyone's reviews of the game, especially those who played and/or loved the original like I did.

I'm really worried about the "dumbing down" of the game, but I'm probably making a big deal out of nothing.

Dustmop

Years
    • Seen Nov 27, 2022
    So it finally came in on Wednesday (so much for next-day shipping).. and initial impression was, "This isn't as bad as expected."

I don't like the changes to Deku Link at all. The aiming was much easier without blocking 3/4 of the screen with a reticle, and the bubbles not firing until they are completely, 100% ready is just.. annoying.
    With a bazillion flowers to use, Odolwa was a 3-minute boss fight.
    But I got past that.

Goron Link takes forever to stop rolling and stand back up, and I almost fell off the side of the dungeon a few times because of it.
    Goht took longer just because I couldn't stop rolling soon enough to hit him enough every time he was downed. :v
    ..But I got past that.

Zora Link.. is awful. I don't want to swim. I don't want to do Great Bay. I used to love Great Bay, now it's frustrating just to swim to the pirate's fortress. I was seriously considering shelving it this morning when I finally got there.
    Why is it so slow and awkward and clunky. Why.
    Do they just expect you to grab a Chateau Romani every time you reset in order to do.. anything useful as Zora Link?
    And why aren't the swimming controls inverted by default?

...So I've moved on to Anju and Kafei's massive side quest for the time being. I always enjoyed that. Maybe it'll raise my spirits.
    But I really just want to find a proper cartridge now for my N64, or snag the one on the Wii VC. :c

Morkula

[b][color=#356F93]Get in the Game[/color][/b]
    Years
    So I've beaten Woodfall and so far I only take issue with two changes:

The Bomber's Notebook is soooooooo intrusive now. Every time you talk to someone, it has to pause the game, fill up the whole screen, slowly make the entry, slowly show the person's schedule, etc. They really should have just kept it as a small notification and let you check the Notebook for more info.

And Odolwa. Holy crap, Odolwa. You never even tried to defend yourself. You just stood there looking back and forth around the room with a derp expression on your face while I beat the crap out of you. Seriously, he never even attacked me once.

Dustmop

Years
    • Seen Nov 27, 2022
    So I've beaten Woodfall and so far I only take issue with two changes:

The Bomber's Notebook is soooooooo intrusive now. Every time you talk to someone, it has to pause the game, fill up the whole screen, slowly make the entry, slowly show the person's schedule, etc. They really should have just kept it as a small notification and let you check the Notebook for more info.

Yes. Yeesss. Intrusive is the perfect word for it. How did I forget.

"OMG I MET SOMEONE NEW. I better take the next 5 minutes to pencil it into my handy dandy notebook!"

And it doesn't even link side quests together. I had like 3 or 4 different "ongoing events" relating to Anju. Why can't all of Anju's things be cohesively organized into one god damn thing? Nope, we talked to her an hour later and now there's a new event to fill in!
    Even getting heart pieces from NPCs or upgrading your gear leads to another notebook session, because those are more "ongoing events."

Was the old schedule format too hard to people to read, or something? Why are there two different pages in the notebook to tell me the same thing in a different way.

Meadow

[span="font-family: Handlee; font-size: 15px; font
    Years
    Just out of curiosity, has anyone here beaten the game yet? I'm interested in knowing if there are any postgame bonuses and whatnot, as well as how they handled Fierce Deity.

Years
    About Elegy of Emptiness...

So, you know Majora's Mask, yes? Playing the song Elegy of Emptiness causes a statue to appear in your position. Which statue depends on the form you are currently in. Using it as a Link obviously causes a statue of Link to appear. However, it's certainly looks rather off and in general looks nothing like Link you play as in Majora's Mask. Considering the fact that the other three statues depicts what are essentially dead people, it would become apparent that the 'Link' depicted as a statue actually is a different Link altogether. Considering the Timeline as seen in Hyrule Historia, the most likely candidate is the Link from Four Swords as it's the game that comes before the Ocarina of Time in the overall 'timeline'. What do you have to say about this 'relevation'? This might not be canon at any rate but it's still something I wanted to ask you.

Last edited:

Belldandy

Years
    My boyfriend messed up and ran into the Majora's Mask boss battle without faeries. How do you get out of the battle? It seems like it's an infinite loop - you die, it respawns you with three hearts in the boss battle, you die, it respawns you with three hearts - but he needs to get out to get faeries.

The heck?

Back