• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Make a case! Scyther vs Heracross

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    If a wild Scyther and Heracross would meet and battle, who do you think would win? And importantly - why? Would weather matter? Terrain? Make your case!

Vinny Vidi Vici

Leave Luck To Heaven
    Years
    • Seen Jan 2, 2016
    Scyther is faster, and I'd fancy Aerial Ace to OHKO Heracross given the 4x effectiveness.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Yeah, I agree with vinnie. Also, if you're talking about wild battles heracross will be defenseless against scyther as it gets wing attack by level up which, with technician will definitely ohko heracross before it can even make a move.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    Well, while Heracross would normally hang on a tree, Scythor would live in the tall grass. So the probability of one meeting the other is...pretty low.

If by whatever coincident both meet and fight, the winner would probably be...Pinsir
    The reaons for this:
    - if the probability of Scythor and Heracross meeting is pretty low, the chance of the three of them meeting can't be too far off
    - Pinsir would be pissed, because he didn't get an invitation for the fight (making him stronger, because of anger)
    - while Scythor and Heracross are fighting Pinsir would dig into the ground laying a trap for the weakend victor and since neither of them can learn Fly they can't free themselves so easily

Years
  • I always find it strange that people always compare Scyther and Heracross when Pinsir is actually Heracross' counterpart.

I'd have to say in the wild without TMs or items or anything I'd have to give the win to Scyther. Scyther with Wing Attack, Technician and a higher speed would probably be able to OHKO Heracross because of the boost to the already 4X effective moves power. I firmly believe Heracross is the better pokemon but given those circumstances it seems like a win to Scyther.

Considering physical attributes irrelevant to stats. I'd suggest that Scyther is probably the better flier and those sharp blades are much more versatile and useful than a horn that only goes the same way as Heracross' head. Heracross would be much stronger physically though and it has that hard shell. So it'd be a close one.

Last edited:

orangeralts21

Newfound Respect for Wobbuffet
    Years
  • I'm not even going to focus on the competitive side of things, I absolutely love Heracross, and any Rock Move is the win. :D

Years
  • With no items or other skill-enhancing ingame nonsense, Scyther would win as it's more agile and is able to use STAB flying type moves like Aerial Ace that are incapable of missing and will hit Hera for 4x damage.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    If we're basing it off anime and manga, then I suppose it could be anybody's game, haha. In terms of anime, even an un-evolved Pokémon, such as Piplup, could take down something big and muscular like Machamp. It's been proven plenty of times before, so I don't believe much people would be able to disagree on it. Same goes for manga, if I'm not mistaken.

As far as games go, Scyther could take down Heracross, but I think that latter will always have an upper-hand. Its offensive stats are better overall, and it has access to a variety of moves that could take former down in just a single hit, such as Stone Edge (as mentioned above). Not only that, but if it has Guts ability and happens to be holding some item like Flame Orb, then its Attack stat would be raised dramatically, making it even easier for the Pokémon to take Scyther down.

Polar Spectrum

I'm still here; watching. Waiting.
    Years
  • If the two faced off against each other; Scyther would win. Considering each against the rest of all pokemon; Heracross would win.

Scyther in an unaltered scenario - could just use a simple technician aerial ace, (moving first because it's faster) for a very powerful STAB 4x super effective move. Heracross's best means of dealing with Scyther in an unaltered scenario, isn't really anything at all. It has rock blast and stone edge it can learn; but won't get the chance given scyther's OHKO potential on it, and higher speed. It has endure, to take that one hit, but without any item or assistance, scyther is still faster afterwards - and even so scyther learns quick attack, to prioritize that final blow.

Considering all aspects of both, even without an item, and against Mega Heracross with an Impish Nature and 252 HP and Def EV's, Scyther's aerial ace still gets an OHKO. The only way heracross has to best Scyther, is with a focus sash providing rock blast or stone edge hits, or a choice scarf, providing the same. But if Heracross needs the scarf to outspeed Scyther, Scyther could just the same run a scarf and still outspeed Heracross.

tl dr; Scyther beats heracross. Heracross beats scyther at beating more other things.

Back