• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

making pokemon trainer sprites help

Years
i kinda need help making pokemon black sprites for the ' future ' pokemon fan-game that i want to make, when i get my laptop this christmas

i've tried my best to start it... but i still kinda need help with it...

https://www.deviantart.com/akarifan25/art/pokemon-peace-and-chaos-female-player-saku-walk-831627788

https://www.deviantart.com/akarifan25/art/pokemon-peace-and-chaos-female-player-saku-battle-831723556
*the original base is in the description of both of those... if anyone wants to help me do it, that'd be great 🙂....

the origin of the sprite is this: https://www.deviantart.com/akarifan25/art/pokemon-Peace-and-Chaos-female-player-831346123

also, what do you think of this one? https://www.deviantart.com/akarifan25/art/my-female-player-saku-and-the-rival-rufo-battle-831728565

i can probably try to start on this one as a walking/running sprite: https://www.deviantart.com/akarifan25/art/pokemon-Peace-and-Chaos-male-player-831346224

& this one as a walking/running sprite: https://www.deviantart.com/akarifan25/art/pokemon-peace-and-choas-region-rival-Rufo-831495588

but if i get stuck, i'll let you know.... 🙂

faf

[b][color=#1acc14]Queen of Dragons[/color][/b]
Years
Henlo there! :]
So first thing I've noticed is that you've stretched out the bases from a 1px to a 9px (rough estimate) and then the hair and clothes are placed on as a 1px; in sprite work it's always good to be consistent with your pixel sizes otherwise the sprite would look off.

Spriter's Resource is a great way to study what the Pokemon sprites are and look like so you see how to translate your characters into the style of a DS game. Starting spriting is definitely tricky as first but it becomes a lot more easier once you get the hang off it. Later on, I can give you an example if you wish.

Hope this helps and good luck!

Years
Henlo there! :]
So first thing I've noticed is that you've stretched out the bases from a 1px to a 9px (rough estimate) and then the hair and clothes are placed on as a 1px; in sprite work it's always good to be consistent with your pixel sizes otherwise the sprite would look off.

Spriter's Resource is a great way to study what the Pokemon sprites are and look like so you see how to translate your characters into the style of a DS game. Starting spriting is definitely tricky as first but it becomes a lot more easier once you get the hang off it. Later on, I can give you an example if you wish.

Hope this helps and good luck!

actually, the bases were always at that size...

faf

Years
actually, the bases were always at that size...
comparision_between_popplios_and_the_original.png

For the example, I've decided to give you a little headstart on one of your characters. The original base you are using is slightly bigger than the MCs but it can still be workable. You'd might want to give the bases a little more wiggle room so the hair doesn't end up colliding with the other sprite:
Spoiler: here I have left references, 2 MCs and your character
popplios_character.png

If you are using MSPaint, using the Gridlines under View (here is your character zoomed in at 800% with Gridlines) is an amazing way to makes sprites even and symmetrical and helps to count pixels as well as help position where to place a pixel. Feel free to use my example to continue with your character sheet and do remember to use those references because they can come in handy. If you need more help, I can see what I can do!

Good luck and happy spriting! :]

Last edited:
Years
Here's a size comparison between yours and the original character overworld base:
Spoiler: yours is the left, original is the right
oh.. yeah.. i kinda forgot i did that, i think 🙂

For the example, I've decided to give you a little headstart on one of your characters. The original base you are using is slightly bigger than the MCs but it can still be workable. You'd might want to give the bases a little more wiggle room so the hair doesn't end up colliding with the other sprite:
popplios_character.png

If you are using MSPaint, using the Gridlines under View (here is your character zoomed in at 800% with Gridlines) is an amazing way to makes sprites even and symmetrical and helps to count pixels as well as help position where to place a pixel. Feel free to use my example to continue with your character sheet and do remember to use those references because they can come in handy. If you need more help, I can see what I can do!

that looks good, actually

Years
Here's a size comparison between yours and the original character overworld base:
Spoiler: yours is the left, original is the right

popplios_character.png

i finished this one today.... i did my best...

https://www.deviantart.com/akarifan25/art/male-player-ron-battle-ball-throw-832436831

the original picture that i made is in the description of that link

faf

Years
i finished this one today.... i did my best...

https://www.deviantart.com/akarifan25/art/male-player-ron-battle-ball-throw-832436831

the original picture that i made is in the description of that link
(apologizes for the late reply)
Alright, it looks like the pixel sizes are correct, which is good!
There are definitely some touch ups that you still need to do. The hair and the bracelet in particular can benefit from thinning out the lines to fit more with the 1px. Something like I did quickly can illustrate what I mean. The one on the left is the lineart that I just drew without erasing the excess and the right is more refined. Additionally, the sprite can definitely benefit from highlights and shading. Referencing the Black and White Trainer back sprites can help with that!

Years
(apologizes for the late reply)
Alright, it looks like the pixel sizes are correct, which is good!
There are definitely some touch ups that you still need to do. The hair and the bracelet in particular can benefit from thinning out the lines to fit more with the 1px. Something like I did quickly can illustrate what I mean. The one on the left is the lineart that I just drew without erasing the excess and the right is more refined. Additionally, the sprite can definitely benefit from highlights and shading. Referencing the Black and White Trainer back sprites can help with that!

that ' bracelet ' isn't a bracelet... it's part of his sleeve on his jacket :3

Back