• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Making Teams

TheKantoKid

Let's go, Pikachu!
Years
  • Hey. Hey, Hey! Hello again everyone! I hope your weekend has been kind to you! My question for everyone today is how do you go about making your primary team in Pokemon? Whether it's for fun, semi-competitive, or VGC level play, I wanted to know how do you decide who goes on your team? I generally choose my absolute favorites. 9 times out of 10 my team will include Charizard because he's my favorite Pokemon. After that i sort of just pick which of my favorites I want to use on that day. I'm a person who just likes causal matches but I do shy away from using Legendary/Ubers. I believe they take the fun out of just everyday play. So what about you guys? What goes through your minds when you make your Pokemon team?

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    A lot of things go through my mind when making teams, but something that I never forget to consider is how well my team members are able to cover each other's weaknesses. If one member isn't able to provide any sort of assistance to any of its teammates, then I would most likely have it replaced with some other Pokémon. d:

VAHZZ

Reborn
    Years
  • I usually pick one of my favorite dragons first, Dragonite and Haxorus and build a team around them - mostly consisting of a wall/special wall, spike dropper(sometimes spiker and wall when i choose Skarmory) a secondary sweeper, a status supplier/supporter and rapid spinner.

For my fun teams, I just use Pokemon that look cool - most of the time it has a dragon in it - I love them so. Or Duke my Blastoise or my faithful Typhlosion, Vysious.

Fabe Franco

PKMN MC (wow that's corny...)
    Years
  • Yay, interesting! Another non-help thread! I like!

To be honest. I aint really a guy who goes too deep into videogames.
    Yes, I have and am as always, been dedicated to Nintendo (not fanboy), which
    is ironic in and of itself, since all of my friends are GTA and Cod, Xbox, PS fans, but, regardless; I have never actually gotten very deep into games regardless.

This of course changed when my fascination with PKMN started growing.
    It started after watching Magnus Carlsen;
    the new Chess World Champion. Chess, you see, is a very complex game/sport/whatever
    that requires different strategies.

Now; again; I aint really a chess guy either, but when I first discovered the competitive side of PKMN and got to know how complex it actually is; with IV's Ev's and what have you not (players can even customize their "bricks"!), and combined that with the newly built fascination with chess (since it is actually becoming more and more "hip" worldwide), I saw that PKMN has, maybe not right now, but in the future, potential of becoming a highly competitive, popular e-sport.

This has gotten really out of thread, but my point is; I see potential in PKMN, especially for the future. Like chess, it could become a mainstream e-sport, and therefore I think it is worth investing time in; of course first and foremost because of fun, but also because of future competitive endeavours. My team is therefore based on winning.

Haha, a damn bad conclusion :p. Just gotta jet now, so have to!

Years
    • Seen May 11, 2015
    I try making defensive teams, but I can never do it. I always end up with an offensive team. I make a team that looks good together, but is also balanced. I never use legendaries and I follow the item clause.

Years
  • I usually just slap on 2 breakers, a way to RK things and a core and make sure there's type synergy. Then I hit up the ladder, assess weaks and revise later.

Back