• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Male or Female, and Name?

LegendaryFSK

I control my own fate.
Years
  • I'm playing as the male character and gave him my nickname, Jay Jay. I usually always put my real name, which is Josh. But this time around I gave him my nickname.

Years
    • Seen Nov 10, 2011
    When i receive pokemon white i will pick male and his name will called Brad (my real name). Like in all pokemon games.

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Jan 29, 2013
    I'm a boy in the game (I don't know why, just habit) and I called myself Jeremy after one of my favourite singers.

PelipperMail

Banned
    Years
  • In every single one of my games so far, Platinum and Soul Silver excluded, the protagonist was always named Hayden, my name, and the rival was always named Steven, after my best friend who introduced me to the games.

In Platinum, I decided to take an unique approach and name myself
    Osama and my rival Bush. I believe that although offensive, but I'm one of those people that likes to play Pokemon like it's real life... I give personalities to my Pokemon, I pretend that all battles are serious, etc. By naming them these names, I was able to take the game a little bit more seriously, and it made me rethink the whole Pokemon world, and how dangerous it would be.

In Soul Silver, I was Ethan and Silver was Silver. It was too mainstream because I'm a hipster generic for me though. My second-run through, and all subsequent ones, used my actual name if I were a boy, or my girlfriend's if I were a girl.

Last edited:

legendarypokemon

He has multiple Personalities
    Years
  • I pretty much suck at names so on
    Emerald Male nick
    Pt Male Ash
    HG Female Holly+N
    White Male Ash

Heartgold is my sisters game, so that explains it

Ineffable~

DAT SNARKITUDE
    Years
  • I used to use pretty much every variety of name you could imagine and choose the gender randomly.
    Now I'm just following my new tradition of using my actual name and gender. I pick the female character and go by "Maggie" with a heart or a smiley face at the end since I have one extra character. :3

(I am playing White.)

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
    Years
    • Age 8
    • +
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020
    There hasn't been a time in any game I've chosen the male protagonist, if you don't count the times your only option was the male. I end up using my real name since I'm not too creative on naming my character something other than it (although I think I should try that sometime). I wish we had the option to name our rivals still since it was pretty cool to do so for a lot of others. That is one option I don't quite understand why GameFreak made the decision to remove it.

The female protagonists always seem to have a better design within each generation (besides HGSS) to me too. :(

ObeyMudkips

Raichupacabra back up
    Years
    • Seen Jan 24, 2017
    I picked the guy (Blaire/Hilbert)
    My name is Jon since I can't fit Jonathan.

echolocated

rated R for robocop
    Years
  • I picked male and named myself Goemon, because it's my nickname in real life. Also i'm curious, are there any other main series games that don't let you nickname your rival?

Back