• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Manga: Hard copy or Scanlation Download?

Buying or downloading manga?

• Buy

Votes: 11 68.8%
  • Download

Votes: 5 31.3%

• Total voters

Kirakishou

*~Snowdrop Crystal~*
    Years
    Hard copy would be wonderful, but I'm a student who doesn't have money to burn like that. So I tend to download the manga I want to read.

Snivi

..•.¸¸•´¯`•.¸. ஐ
    Years
    Buy. I own about 500 or so. ^^;

I also read some online - unlicensed or yet to be released.

devilicious

dream
    Years
    I prefer buying the books. They make a nice decoration in my room, and I can read them anywhere.

I do read scanlations too, but only of unlicensed manga.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
    I've probably got 60-80 manga or so? Rough guess since I'm not home nor do I know exactly what I have. >_<;

I hate reading manga or comics on the computer. It stems from back when I read Death Note. I collected the first 7 but... you all probably know the plot twist and the official licensed manga hadn't come out yet, so I downloaded the rest of the story because I couldn't wait. My screen resolution was 1024x768 and the scanlations were only okay. They didn't look good except at their original size and that was hell to read on a laptop with a low resolution. >:| So ever since I just can't stand it, even if my monitor is big enough to comfortably display a page at full size.

So yeah, I wait and buy manga wherever I can. I'll even buy it in Japanese over downloading scanlations if there's no chance of it coming out in English. I was a lot more into buying manga before, but now with less money for it (student excuse, plus almost all my spare change goes toward my gaming/Pokémon collecting hobby), I don't buy much manga anymore anyway. I just read less as a result.

Decypher

Craig Marshall
    Years
    I like to buy manga and be able to read it in my hands, but Its like an 8 hour drive to the closest place I can buy manga, so I mostly read it online.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    I don't read much but I like to have books around me; so the choice is obvious, but I tend to like what's not popular, so I may download to avoid unnecessary hassle.

Aegis

The Savage Nymph
    Years
    Depends on the manga :x I prefer to buy a lot of them, but there's some that I like reading on the computer better. Usually, the ones I read on the computer I don't like as much... or they aren't as appropriate >_>; Really, the only one on the computer I read regularly is "My Balls", and it should be fairly obvious why I don't want a hard copy of it XD;

Yuoaman

I don't know who I am either.
    Years
    I'd love to buy them, but you can't buy them in this small town, so I have no choice but to download 'em...

Years
    • Seen Apr 2, 2023
    I've always preferred to buy them rather than grab scanlations, which I honestly haven't tried out more than a couple of times, but it's never seemed like an appealing way of reading manga to me. I like actually having the book in hand and being able to flip through the pages, it's stupid, but that part of the "experience" is something I look forward to.

digi-kun

Hourai NEET
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Mar 12, 2018
    hmmm...i would say books over web browsing it's partially the portability that comes with it, and partially quality. On occasions i'll do online, but usually that's when i either want to get ahead (xxxHolic, HayaCom), have a low series priority (most Jump manga), or it isn't in America (Mirai Nikki, Touhou Bougetsushou)

Phanima

That servant of the evil one
    Years
    • Seen Oct 11, 2011
    I'm more of a selective reader. There are only a few series to which I would/could afford to buy the hard copy of. Naturally, I'd love to own every manga I've read to date since I have a collection fetish but since my local bookstore hardly supplies them (not to mention having ridiculously high mark ups per book) and because I'm often strapped for cash, I read the majority of my manga online.

Still, having recently cleared out my shelves, I'm looking to fill the space with some new reading material. Once I save enough of course...

Years
    I like to purchase hard copies. One can take them anywhere. If I want to read a manga when I am away from home, I can simply take it with me if it is in the form of a book. Besides, having a book in hand and being able to flip through its pages adds to the experience of reading manga. I know that I certainly enjoy reading manga more when I read books instead of scanlations.

Years
    • Seen Dec 8, 2023
    Being short on cash as of late and local stores having high mark ups, I've had to read manga on the computer. It's not a bad thing, but I'd always rather have the book so I can read it on the go.

I got some monies, now, so I'll be going on a spree soon enough, haha. it's gonna cost so much, damn long running shounens.

In any case I'll probably still download since I can stay up to date that way and also read many series that don't get released outside of Japan.

Rena Ryuugu

はぅ〜
    Years
    I would definitely prefer having the hard copy. But I normally download it, because whenever I go out to get new books I buy too many. xD;

Back