• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Manga vs Anime art style

Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2023
    Has there ever been a series that you read/watched where you preferred the art style of the manga over the anime, or the anime over the manga?

Like for me, I prefer the art style of the Attack on Titan (Shingeki no Kyojin for those of you who refuse to call it by its English name) anime. The art style of the manga for AoT just feels very sloppy to me. I guess its because of the excessive strokes around the characters and some characters like Eren and Ymir look very strange in the manga. They look a lot better to me in their anime adaptation.

However with Soul Eater, I actually prefer the manga's art style over the anime's. I guess it's just the way the mangaka uses screen tones but it's more pleasant for me to look at the manga's art while I'm reading as opposed to the anime.

Last edited:

Weeaboo Name

Banned
    Years
  • Funny, regarding Titans I think the sketchy style fits the tone far more than the clean one used in the anime.

To answer your question, yes, I have preferred both anime and manga styles.

Yuoaman

I don't know who I am either.
    Years
  • I almost always prefer an anime's art style to its original manga art, especially for series like Attack on Titan with complicated action sequences.

derozio

[b][color=red][font=helvetica][i]door-kun best boi
    Years
  • It varies. But generally I prefer the manga art styles. I personally find them much more appealing. They're just so highly detailed.

There are exceptions, though, obviously. Like Shingeki no Kyojin. The art style in the manga is just...bad. Laptrap might find it more suitable due to the rough lines and ♥♥♥♥ but...I just don't like it. Anime is superior imo.

Years
  • I side with those who think the Attack on Titan's anime art is better, but otherwise I prefer manga art to anime art. The only exception is fights because damn it, who doesn't love an animated fight?

Years
  • I though perhaps you meant the style of the anime.. some anime like Great Teacher Onizuka, Initial D, and Wangan Midnight have a very manga-ish style to them that's evident especially in the facial features.

Anyhow, to be on topic, I preferred the manga of Aku no Hana over the anime.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
  • Art style in general never really bothers me unless it's horrid. I can't really think of any drastic examples, but I don't really like the way the faces in the K-On manga are drawn, and I like the art styles of the Madoka Magica and Nagi no Asukara manga. Also, I kind of like Kyousogiga's manga style because all the hair just looks so floofy.

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
    Years
  • I always prefer manga styles over anime styles. I don't like the colors that they give things and a lot of times it just feels bulky and fat compared to the manga.

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
    Years
  • I almost always prefer an anime's art style to its original manga art, especially for series like Attack on Titan with complicated action sequences.

Oh yes, this ♥

I like manga art style, but when it comes down to very fast paced and detailed fight sequences, I prefer the anime style as you can see what's actually happened compared to the manga when you can't even tell what's happening. Godzilla can get into the fight scene wearing a sombrero while dancing the macarena and you won't even be able to tell, lol.

Years
  • First mangaka off the top of my head that I prefer manga styles over anime would be Tanemura Arina's. Those anime series do not do her artwork justice since she has one of the most beautiful art styles, in my opinion. I find those particular mangaka who pay attention to very intricate, minuscule details like hair, dresses, etc. appealing.

Back