• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

MANiKin: Sign-up & OOC

IceFireLighnting

Well, if there are any more roles open, they're all girls. I mean, it would be weird. I'm not a girl, so I don't know how to talk or act like one. I'll just...move on, then.

Umbreongirl

As riddled as the tide
    Years
  • This is where emotions flare.

if i never returned?
    And so long to devotion, you taught me everything I know. Wave goodbye, wish me well. You've got to let me go.

/NAME
    Veda Amaya Jeakins
    /AGE
    Fourteen (June 6, 1996)
    /GENDER
    Female
    /ROLE
    Earth

/APPEARANCE
    Physical appearance: An extraordinarily meek and small-framed girl perhaps the nicest way possible to describe Veda would be to say that she's petite, or slender, while less than kind individual would write her off as downright puny. True, at her time of infection she was only fourteen years old, but even still, it is impossible to ignore the obvious: that Veda would've most likely struggled with this scrawniness her entire life. For what she lacks in size however, Veda makes up for in beauty, as even the smallest, weakest creature must have something to her advantage. She isn't like a Siren or anything, but it can be said that the child is simply stunning.

Her quiet, Doe-like eyes, while technically a flaw, instead work to the child's advantage, the crown jewels of Veda's face, two emeralds set painstakingly into her pretty, heart-shaped face. These eyes, however, while still reflecting the frozen innocence of her childhood, and the enthusiasm for her impending adolescence, are eerily suspended in time, seemingly unmoving, unseeing. It is nearly impossible to tell if the girl is looking at you out of her peripherals unless she physically turns her head around to stare, and even then, in a crowded place, it's cumbersome to detect just who exactly she's looking at. Her small, rosy lips are just hues darker than her unreal porcelain skin, and as is standard with most girl dolls, are perpetually forced into a tiny pucker when she isn't speaking. Veda's tawny hair just barely grazes her thin shoulders, but for effectiveness and convenience, it is kept tied away at the back of her head so as not to hinder her in battle and to maximize her chances of making it out of this one alive. Two choppy strands of hair are omitted from Veda's ponytail, and these strands end shorter than the rest, at the very tip of her little earlobe.

Clothing and accessories: A long cream-colored dress, falling at just above her ankles. Amell has begged Veda time and time again to nab something a little more battle-worthy, but she obstinately refuses, making the argument that while dresses might be a poor choice for climbing, and maybe be loose and easy to grab a hold of, are less cumbersome for her stiff, artificial legs, and enable her to run with little restraint. A pale, grey sash is wrapped tightly just beneath Veda's bust, and exists to bind the dress to her, so that it is less apt to be grabbed and pulled down while in battle, her abdomen a vital part of her existence. An array of artificial flowers is pinned to Veda's chest, flashing a brilliant spectrum of colors, while flowers of the same fashion are pinned into Veda's hair, sprinkled randomly all throughout her head. She wears a backpack that looks as if it once belonged to a school child, and is solid red in color with a single grey stripe across the front. Written in permanent black marker is the name "Marc".

/PERSONALITY
    General: Veda's personality seems as sporadic and unpredictable as the tide, but as you come to know her, there is a clearly distinguishable pattern. Veda is a critical thinker, despite those who might argue and swear that she is meek, timid, and thinks only of self-preservation. Upon being approached by an individual, she immediately begins assessing every point of his or her character. Does he look menacing? Could she pulverize me with a single thump? Veda is also wary of those who have a silver tongue, for she realizes that most people with such uncanny charisma have realized their gift, and will ultimately take advantage of it and those they use it on. She appreciates honesty, even if the person's initial reaction isn't to like her for whatever reason, and will not succumb to somebody who immediately tries to win her over. Building a relationship takes dedication and patience, and Veda appreciates that, not being one to immediately throw herself at another person. Though her critical thinking serves as an advantage, a radar whose judgment she more than likely will follow, this gift has its handicaps as well. While determining whether or not to begin building a social relationship, Veda's critical thinking is convenient, but in the area of battle, where impulse and on the spot thinking are critical, Veda ultimately melts down with the horrifying 'what ifs' of the situation, letting these thoughts overrun what decision her brain might have been making, grinding her attack to a halt. Because of the thoughts that constantly permeate her being, Veda is known to space out, and be chastised for her inattention.

If anybody really knew Veda, they would appreciate her as a sensitive soul, one who is eager to please and keep people entertained and amused. While not necessarily strictly kind and good, Veda does hold the firm belief that everyone initially has the right to life, unless they have done something condemnable. She hates with a passion seeing anyone destroyed, especially if they weren't initially attacking, and when seeing her brother brutalize another being, it's emotionally unbearable, and she knows she will inevitably pay for those sins in hauntings and nightmares.

Likes/Dislikes:
    · Following her brother around
    · Animals, particularly ducklings
    · Ripples in ponds
    · Books and magazines
    · Summer heat
    · Stargazing
    · Sundresses
    · Missions with her brother
    · Showing affection

· Being lost
    · Sharp, serrated objects
    · Littering
    · Television
    · Biting, Winter cold
    · Being wet
    · Loud noises, particularly shouting
    · Metal objects
    · Windowless rooms

Hobbies: Playing with whatever creature dares to come near her, fashioning dolls and animal figurines out of nature, foraging and collecting pretty items, following Amell around, daydreaming
    Strengths/Weaknesses:
    · Extreme loyalty, and obedience for the most part
    · A powerhouse fighter when used for short periods of time
    · Incredibly intelligent, and well spoken for her age
    · Cute and harmless-looking enough to make an excellent decoy
    · Mild-mannered, an overall pleasant person to be around

· Extreme reliance on her brother, Amell
    · No idea how to conserve energy, or strategize in battle
    · A nagging dread of fighting
    · Hopelessly naïve, and conned easily by her fellow Marionettes, or by enemies
    · Has no desire whatsoever to kill humans

Fears:
    · Losing Amell
    · Being destroyed herself
    · Being kidnapped, and then tortured for information
    · Becoming the last surviving Maniken
    · Places she considers creepy (Abandoned Carnivals, forests at night)
    · Seeing Amell kill others

Other quirks: When Veda becomes nervous, frightened, or just find herself in an overly awkward situation, to ease the tension and take the pressure off of herself, she sings. What she sings is anybody's guess, for it could be something like Mary Had a Little Lamb to Poker Face. Also, Veda is a horrible liar. When lying, she will avoid all eye contact, blush, start stuttering, and clumsily try to change the subject.

/HISTORY
    a detailed description of the life of your character leading up to the infection, including what took place during the first two months; can be a detailed list or in 2+ paragraph form

/WEAPON
    A Tomahawk that Veda stumbled upon while looting through houses. The shaft is red with a golden diamond design running its length, with a solid brass head. She also has an Automatic Revolver, of which she hardly uses because she's hardly experienced enough to fire it without hurting herself.
    /FIGHTING STYLE
    Veda approaches battles with extreme dread, and when fighting, fights only so that she may survive. Being so strictly defensive entitles Veda to keeping her life, but unfortunately doesn't make much leeway for the Marionettes' current mission. When urged to fight, Veda will start off hesitantly, but then throw all of her efforts into it, proving to actually be a pretty valuable asset, ignoring the obvious flaw in her strategy. She uses too much energy too fast, and after those short, furious burst, will succumb to fatigue right there on the field. She will also focus intently and solely on the one she wishes to destroy, and block out all other attackers who might be planning an ambush. Most commonly though, Veda just sticks close to Amell, fighting minimally, but aiding him when necessary.
    /RELATIONSHIPS
    Amell- As he is the sole living memory of Veda's past, to say that she treasures her brother would be a huge understatement. As ferociously as she loves Amell, there's the flipside to being his little sister. His overbearing presence hinders her social life, as he is incredibly selective on whom she is able to interact with, and that's on a good day. Veda mostly doesn't mind, as she is still stinging from the loss of her old friends and parents anyways, and is perfectly content to play with only Amell. Recently she has been taking a greater interest in the other Marionettes, however.

Wind- It's inevitable that Veda would have eventually met the acquaintance of Ivan, as Amell had been assigned to keep an eye on the rather aloof boy. While Amell has a general distaste for the boy, Veda secretly pines to be friends with he and Claire, as they have so gracefully accepted their condition for what it is, and seem only to want to want to move on to more worthwhile and pleasing endeavors with the time that they have left. Unfortunately, Amell's passionate hatred for Ivan means that she may never even be able to talk to either Ivan or Claire.

Heaven- To be honest, Veda is quite literally terrified of Celia. She is completely aware of her thirst for merciless blood spatter, and every time she looks upon her face is haunted by vivid images of maiming and torture. Veda hardly breathes a word to Celia unless asked, and even then half the time won't answer her, looking nervously up at Amell until he replies for her. Veda, to make up for her aversion to gore, and her lack of confidence in fighting, is usually obedient to the core, even becoming physically ill sometimes at the things she forces herself to do for Celia.

/THEME SONG
    Human- The Killers Time-Cute Is What We Aim For

Cirrus

dreaming a transient dream.
    Years
  • Paint's JPEG headers hurt my eyes. And the borders are scratched. D:

The GIMP is a free image-editing utility that people should get if they don't have Photoshop. And use it to make headers with.

parallelzero

chelia.blendy
    Years
  • Sorry, IceFireLightning, I don't intend on adding any extra roles. I already have far more people than I intended on (which I hope doesn't lead to the RPs demise x.x), and I'm adding a extra role to the cards for me so I have a character rooted there to keep them on track.

While I'll accept Yamagi Sousuke and Fan_The_Flames, I'll withhold judgment on UmbreonGirl until she's filled out the history.

I also won't be able to start the RP until later this week as a result of the fact that I'll be away from the computer the next two days.

Cirrus

Years
  • I'd gladly play more than 1 character. I was going to apply for that, but then everything was full... :x

Jack O'Neill

Banned
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Jul 15, 2015
    So, THIS is the sign-up thread! That'll teach me to fumble around in the forums after midnight.

In any case, here's one of my sign-ups; the other one will come when it's done. As to why I chose to have Utopia take up most of Southern California? Most of the other otherwise-viable oceanside locations in the United States (New York City, Philadephia, Boston, Seattle, et cetera) are far too small to accomodate the remaining 2% of humanity in relative comfort. If David finds that objectionable, I hope we can find a compromise.

if i never returned?
    ❚"They're gonna have to glue you back together...IN HELL!"❚
    You think you're so tough, you're a living bluff
    I will put you down, I will make you frown

/NAME
    Jonathan David Nguyen Ramirez ("J.D.")
    /AGE
    21 (DOB 6 August 1989)
    /GENDER
    Male
    /ROLE
    Rook

/APPEARANCE
    Physical appearance: J.D. is of mixed East and Southeast Asian descent (quarter-Filipino, quarter-Japanese, half-Vietnamese), a relic of his ancestors' meandering through the general area during times of war and mating with whoever they found; due to his rather ambiguous appearance, he tends to be mistaken for basically every other East and Southeast Asian ethnicity there is. He is quite tall and large for a man of his ethnicity, standing at a full 6'1" and weighing in at 160 lbs; while not exactly buff, his form is still quite toned. His hair is jet-black, thick, and straight but unruly; while relatively short and conservative by civilian standards, his current hairstyle would not pass muster in the U.S. Army of the past. His eyes are a flat shade of brown and generally unremarkable. His skin is moderately tanned and far from flawless, with numerous scars all over various parts of his body.
    Clothing and accessories: J.D. tends to wear simple yet stylish clothes for everyday use. His typical attire consists of a white dress shirt (usually with an unbuttoned collar), a red tie worn loosely and held in place with a silver clip, a black jacket with a Mandarin collar and white fur trim, an Omega Seamaster wristwatch on his left wrist, black dress slacks, a police-issue black leather utility belt with a silver buckle, and black leather dress shoes; he has also taken to tying a red bandana around his right arm to complete this ensemble. His nightstick, bayonet, and PP-2000 are kept on his belt, while his dual P229s are kept in a pair of cross-draw shoulder holsters under his jacket. If he has the time to prepare for particularly intense combat, he discards the jacket and bandana and adds a black helmet and bulletproof vest (both former LAPD SWAT issue) to his civilian clothes, making sure to wear the shoulder holsters over the vest in order to ensure access to the P229s.

/PERSONALITY
    General: J.D. is perhaps one of the most well-adjusted members of STRINGS, for what precious little that's worth. Outside of combat, he is generally a warm, friendly, and sincere individual, always willing to strike up a conversation if the opportunity presents itself or lend a helping hand if necessary; while he does have a particular eye for the ladies, he is nowhere near as overt as his colleague the Knight. Outspoken to a fault, he does not hesitate to speak his mind and will gladly stand up for his beliefs if confronted about them; one issue he is especially vocal about is his belief in doing what is right and just regardless of the letter of the law, which has placed him at odds with his superiors on various occasions. When not on official business with STRINGS, he can usually be found busying himself with various hobbies; he hates having nothing to focus his energy on, and he plays just as hard as he works. Above all else, though, he is unusually optimistic for someone in the midst of great strife and unrest; he is confident in his own abilities and (for all the criticism he gives out to them) those of his comrades, and he is sure that everything will eventually work out for the best (if he and the rest of STRINGS will work at it, of course).
    Likes/Dislikes:
    • democratic government
    • basic human rights
    • anime in general
    • video games in general
    • books
    • firearms
    • military hardware in general
    • classical music
    • rap and hip-hop
    • heavy metal
    • food in general
    dislikes
    • incompetence
    • excessive laziness
    • corruption in general
    • abuses of authority
    • bureaucracy
    • totalitarian government
    • politics in general
    • country music
    • shoujo manga
    • shounen anime
    • JRPGs (except for anything published by Atlus)
    • overly flashy or ostentatious clothes
    • sleep
    • boredom
    • paperwork
    • fair fights
    Hobbies:
    • getting women
    • practicing with firearms
    • sparring with other soldiers
    • exercising
    • reading
    • watching anime and movies
    • playing video games
    • collecting anime and game merchandise
    • trading jokes and stories with other people
    • customizing his Humvee
    • cooking
    Strengths/Weaknesses:
    strengths
    • honest and sincere
    • willing to stand up for his beliefs and for others
    • will gladly give his help to others if they need it
    • has a knack for coming up with plans on the fly
    • deadly in close-quarters combat
    • a good cook
    weaknesses
    • a bit too talkative for his own good
    • can be somewhat tactless
    • EXTREMELY hard-headed and stubborn
    • tends to disregard preplanned tactics and strategies
    • always shoots first and asks questions later
    • no options for long-range combat other than his carbines and bullpups
    • refuses to retreat under most circumstances
    Fears:
    • being "discarded" by the Utopian ruling elite
    • losing any of his weapons
    • being forced into a fair fight
    • having the Pawns turn on him
    • getting infected by the MANiKin plague
    Other quirks: J.D. has a tendency to curse in Spanish when particularly agitated or angry; he did grow up in Southern California, after all, and he's had countless opportunities to learn a few words of choice.

/HISTORY
    Jonathan David Nguyen Ramirez was born and raised in Long Beach, California, the descendant of a long line of Filipino-American soldiers. His great-grandfather, Simón Pedro Mercado Ramirez, emigrated to the United States and enlisted in the Army so he could fight the Germans during World War I; his grandfather, Juan Carlos Navarro Ramirez, saw action in World War II and the Korean War as a member of the U.S. Army's 1st Cavalry Division; and his father, Andrew James Nakano Ramirez, was a Marine who was deployed to Vietnam just in time for the Tet Offensive. J.D. was expected to continue the family tradition of military service if he couldn't make it into a university; after being rejected by every single university he applied to (due mainly to his distaste for applications essays), he chose to enlist in the Army, just as his grandfather and great-grandfather had done before him.

Life in the Army had largely been uneventful for J.D. up until the beginning of the MANiKin plague; a mere Corporal at the time, he had the misfortune of being stationed in Germany, epicenter of the pandemic, as part of United States Army Europe. After several unsuccessful attempts to help the rest of NATO contain the infection, the forces of U.S. Army Europe had no choice but to abandon the continent, evacuating back to the continental United States with as many uninfected soldiers and refugees as they could...only to find out that the plague had spread to the American continent as well. J.D. was among the tattered remnants of the United States Armed Forces that withdrew to "Utopia" (in actuality, the combined Los Angeles and San Diego metropolitan areas and the Inland Empire, which included his home in Long Beach) with the fall of the federal government. As survivors from all parts of the world continued to flock to Utopia, J.D. was among those tasked with providing security for these refugees, a job he excelled in; given how little of the command structure had actually survived the calamity, he found himself rocketing up the ranks, and when Jean Parks assumed the helm of leadership, the former Corporal Ramirez found himself one of the founding members of the STRINGS special force.

Like many of the appointments to STRINGS, however, J.D.'s was a purely political one; despite J.D. himself personally lobbying on behalf of actual special forces veterans to fill positions in STRINGS, Parks and the rest of Utopia's self-declared ruling elite simply refused to budge. With that, J.D. resigned himself to his fate and decided to make the best of it; if he was going to get killed on the front lines, he might as well take as many Dolls with him as he could first, and the position of Rook gave him plenty of opportunities to destroy the abominations. With the rise of the CARDS terrorist group, J.D. and the rest of STRINGS predictably found themselves in conflict with them. To be completely honest, though, J.D. sympathizes with CARDS and would like nothing better than to see that petty tyrant Parks and his cronies six feet under, but for now, he has to keep up appearances so as not to arouse the suspicion of the ruling elites; the inevitable coup can wait.

/WEAPON
    While J.D. is proficient in various weapons due to his military training, he prefers close-range weaponry, such as shotguns, carbines, bullpup rifles, submachine guns, machine pistols, and high-powered revolvers and semiautomatics; due to the large variety of weapons brought over by soldiers and law enforcement officers from all over the world, he has plenty of options to choose from. His typical loadout consists of a Fabrique Nationale F2000S fitted with an Aimpoint CompM2 red-dot sight, a Benelli M3T select-fire shotgun, a PP-2000 machine pistol, and a pair of SIG-Sauer P229s in .357 SIG; other weapons he has been known to use include the AMD 65, Steyr AUG A2 (fitted with a 16" barrel and an ACOG reflex sight), and IMI Tavor CTAR-21 (fitted with an Aimpoint CompM2). Before acquiring the F2000S, AUG A2, CTAR-21, and AMD 65, his previous automatic weapons of choice were his U.S. Army-issue M4A1 Carbine and a Sterling L2A3 modified with a wooden stock and pistol grip taken from an F1 submachine gun.

However, J.D.'s true weapons of choice are not firearms, but the crowbar, shovel, nightstick, and bat (baseball and cricket), all of which which he quickly found out were able to shatter Dolls with a few swings from either; he is also quite fond of knives (his old M9 bayonet in particular), hatchets, and tomahawks, though he prefers to use bladed weapons like these against the human CARDS terrorists and their sympathizers than against Dolls. When all else fails, he has his martial arts expertise to fall back on, though punching out a Doll is a VERY chancy proposition, to say the least.

The Humvee J.D. drives as part of his duties with STRINGS is also a weapon in its own right, typically used to plow through large formations of Dolls at high speed; the mounted M240 machine gun is rarely used by him, usually crewed instead by regular Utopia defense force soldiers (if he can get them assigned to him) or other STRINGS members.

/FIGHTING STYLE
    While J.D. does have a working knowledge of tactics, his actual approach to battles tends to be quite simplistic and almost always in direct violation of whatever standing orders he has. If he is in his Humvee, he drives directly into enemy formations, hoping to run as many of them down before he goes out with his numerous weapons; without his Humvee, he simply charges in with guns blazing, closing the distance as quickly as he can so he can go to work with whatever bludgeoning weapon he has on him (usually a nightstick, though he will gladly use a crowbar, shovel, or bat if he has any of them with him). Against human foes, the same "tactics" apply, though he tends to use a bladed weapon like a bayonet or tomahawk instead of a bludgeoning weapon. He hates anything that even remotely smacks of decency in fighting; while his dirty tricks tend to be lost on mindless Dolls, his ability to fight dirty allows him to even the playing field against opponents capable of actual thought. He only considers retreating if he's severely wounded, running low on ammo, or getting tired.
    /RELATIONSHIPS
    J.D.'s relationships with the other members of STRINGS tend to be somewhat of a mixed bag. The closest things he has to friends within the organization are the Bishop, who he's trying to get closer to, and the Knight, with which he has a friendly rivalry of sorts in regards to getting women (though he takes a dim view of the latter's slothful tendencies). He finds the King to be quite insufferable overall, regarding him as little more than a mere pawn of the ruling elite with an overinflated kill score; he still acknowledges the fact that the King is his superior, though, and he's still willing to follow the chain of command...for now. He tends to take a disproportionate glee in pushing the Queen's buttons, much to her chagrin. As for the Pawns, while he does not hate them per se, he finds their mere presence to be quite unnerving; if there's anything he's paranoid about, it's that they'll suddenly complete their transformations and turn on him and the others.

While J.D. certainly sympathizes with the members of CARDS and their cause, he has no choice but to fight them, at least for the time being. He just can't seem to shake off the feeling that the one who calls herself the "Club" has a particular interest in him...

/THEME SONG
    "Face Fisted" by Dethklok

Last edited:

parallelzero

chelia.blendy
    Years
  • Well I don't really care WHERE Utopia is located, if I cared I would have specified, I just needed a general idea for a setting. It's a post apocalyptic world, so it's not going to have any major implications. XD

As for my work, I still have three and a half signups to finish x.x I'll be starting the RP tomorrow though, with maybe just Alicia and Celia's POVs. I'll finish up my other signups as things go along. I'm going to try and finish Celia's and start on my next one before work today. And Cirrus, if you want to take another character, you can.

Renege

C arry T he F lame
    Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2011
    I think I'll hold of posting for a bit, unless it's necessary for me to post. Just to see if Umbreongirl will finish her SU so I can be sure she can be included/accepted in my post.

One question, for dolls will bullets shatter their body parts?

parallelzero

chelia.blendy
    Years
  • At a close range, yes. Keep in mind that manikins are only inhuman on the outside though. Think of them kind of like clay-faced zombies. They still have blood and bones underneath their hard flesh. However they can be repaired (particularly under Celia's power).

Renege

C arry T he F lame
    Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2011
    The pain would be more/less the same as if they were human?

Kogenta

Lost Realist
    Years
  • My flight is today, but assuming I will have internet at my other location I should return within a couple days. Theoretically I should not fall -too- far behind by then. But in the event that I do, I thought I should explain.

I am not entirely satisfied with my character sketches, but I added the armor one anyway. I thought it might be significant to know where the armor did and did not cover.

Yuukihime

I'm allergic to people.
    Years
  • On news of Umbreon, she might not be joining the role-play. I talked to her and I've heard she has other priorities that have come up. I can't say for sure but I've been talking to her through IM and she says she may have to drop out. I'll finish my appearance today for judgement. I've put it off for too long anyway.

Cirrus

Years
  • I am wondering... Which characters are available? Just the ones listed on the main thread that are marked as being available?

Years
    • Seen Jul 25, 2011
    Ok, so, I thought it over and I realized that battle hammers weren't really the weapon for me. I mean, thinking about it, they would be pretty heavy and kind of inconspicuous, so I changed them to twin katanas, and while they're still pretty intricately designed, I'm sure they'd be easier to carry around.

Also, I added a pair of hand-held guns to Mikaela's arsenal.

All waiting your approval parallel :D

Back