• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

manly man?

Years
  • Most people would say I am a 'manly man', just because how I am. The interesting thing now-a-days is, how can you define a 'manly man'? Sure, you can do the typical, beer drinking, gym pumping, manly burping male would be a 'manly man', but the lines are a little more blurred in todays world.

Either way, I think I am more of a manly dude and others would agree.​

Years
    • Seen Jun 12, 2016
    There really is no logical reason for such silliness to continue, as it is a concept based solely on society's preferences, not facts.

Feminine men, masculine women and everything in between have existed since the beginning of humanity, and they definitely aren't going to be dying out anytime soon. Whether people choose to "accept" them or not is a personal choice, but it still doesn't change the fact that those people are perfectly normal and denying that isn't going to change anything.

The only real "truth" behind those dumb gender roles is that yes, it is more common for women to be feminine and men to be masculine, but it's not the "right" way for them to be, since there is no "right" way. Period. We can choose how we act and what preferences we act on, but we cannot choose the preferences or personality traits themselves; only how we deal with them.

If people give you problems because of who you are, then just ignore them. People who blindly follow society's silly and untrue stereotypes/roles aren't worth bothering with anyway.~

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
    Years
  • No we aren't wolves, we are more closely related to species like gorilla's and such, but it's obvious that they still have a very organized societal structure with a dominant male to mate with the females, drive off younger males and protect the group. No matter how intelligent we humans may seem I still see undercurrents of that system in peoples behaviour. Not being the one on top of the pecking order can sorta suck sometimes :/

Do you think your sexuality has anything to do with how you identify with our gender? Typically heterosexuals are seen as masculine whilst homosexuals are stereotyped as feminine

I do think it detaches me somewhat from each gender, and allows me to equally see the flaws in each in a way that only someone on the outside looking in can. I identify with certain aspects of each gender but at the same time - as terrible as this is going to sound - kind of feel like I am above succumbing to the sillier aspects stereotypically associated with each, such as the race for dominance among males and the biological clock's need in both genders to reproduce.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • I really dislike the general idea of a manly man, which describes a dude bro who only enjoys manly things, and if you enjoy things only for kids or women, you're not manly. It's a gender role stereotype that needs to die, for it really hurts the reputations of certain fandoms such as the Pokémon fandom.

zakisrage

In the trunk on Highway 10
    Years
  • Gender stereotypes should be abolished. We don't need them. Not all men like sports or guns or all that other manly stuff. Not all women like fashion and make-up and chick flicks. These days, there are male nurses and female mechanics. Several countries are run by women. We live in a new era.

I wasn't really raised on stereotypes. Lebanese people, like other Middle Easterners, do have some expectations of men and women that are different. My parents fit the traditional gender roles to some extent, though my dad cooks occasionally and my mum has a part-time job. We're also aware that traditionally our culture didn't think highly of women. But we are a pretty modern family, and we can't always abide by tradition.

I'm a guy, but I have long hair, I dress very neatly, I don't like most sports, and I love pop music, fashion, and the arts. And I'm very much straight. There's more than one way to be a guy or a girl.

I think it's best to balance out masculine and feminine aspects. I happen to like some stereotypically masculine things, like video games, certain action movies, and crude humour.

Last edited:

Controversial?

Bored musician, bad programmer
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 11, 2020
    Let's just say that in my previous relationship, she wore the trousers......

Yeah no, I'm very feminine. I don't lift *gasp*

Years
  • Being a "manly man" is definitely not important to me, and I'm not going to ever make my son feel like he needs to be manly, either. Heck, for christmas, most of the presents he got were from the little girls section, because that's what he likes. (toy kitchen, toy blender, toy mixer, toy coffee pot, toy washing machine..etc" If he wanted a baby doll, I'd get one for him. Complete manliness I guess would be fine, but it's definitely not a requirement and to some extent, may be annoying (for me, anyways)

Back