• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Manly Tears - Most Depressing Moments in Anime

Shanghai Alice

Exiled to Siberia
    Years
    ...none of them will be on my list, I'm sure, but because I'm a softy, here are my tearful moments:

Code Geass
    1. Refrain (The episode). The reasons for this are quite obvious...
    Spoiler:

Azumanga Daioh
    1. The episode that ended with them all running off into the field happily. Tears of joy, there...
    2. The end. The episode did such a good job of reminding you why you loved the characters.

So yes, share your moments of Manly Tears.

Weeaboo Name

Banned
    Years
    Hmmmm for me there has been a few. Totally manly tears (not sobbing into my pillow like a little kid)

Clannad After Story had me in tears 3 times:embarrass;
    Spoiler:

The end of Grave Of The Fireflies.

Been choked up about a number of other shows but those are the only ones i've actually cried over.

Stop laughing.

Shanghai Alice

Exiled to Siberia
    Years
    GotF actually was pretty sad.

Then you watch Schindler's List.

Hmm... There was one other for me, but I can't seem to remember...

Ah, Lain.

The end of Lain was kind of... Bittersweet.

Also,
    Spoiler:

Years
    Only DB/Z sad moments made me cry badly:
    > Krillin killed by Tambourine
    > Goku teleports himself and Cell to North Kaio planet, then gets blowed by Cell
    > Vegeta self-destruction and when his body changes into ashes scene.

Rapidash

Firefly Class.
    Years
    Grave of the Fireflies.

I cried like a child at the end of that film. I was genuinely expecting it to end differently

Naive little me

Years
    CLANNAD ~AFTER STORY~:
    Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

I think I have a family complex.

Teh Blazer

Divider of Zero
    Years
    Pokemon The movie (that one with Mewtwo)
    ~When Ash turned to stone and everybody started crying, I just died.

Naruto Shippuden
    Spoiler:

Yep, these are probably some obvious ones and I'm sure there are more from other anime I've watched.

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
    Years
    I've honestly never cried while watching an anime... not to say it doesn't effect me at all. The saddest moment for me is when a great anime finally ends... especially Azumanga Daioh, and Lucky Star. (I have seen a few sad ones, don't be fooled by those two examples lol.)

I can't imagine how I'll feel if pokemon ever ends... lol. (I feel sad just thinking about it... :'()

Last edited:
    Years
    I'm tempted to say pretty much half of the major events of Clannad and Clannad ~After Story~...but those weren't manly tears. They were emotionally charged, affectionate girly tears that I shed. I did shed a few "man tears" in a few moments in Rurouni Kenshin: Tsuiokuhen, including when Kenshin and Tomoe first met and the ending. Oh, and Tengenn Toppa Gurren Lagann's whole second arc.

Wings Don't Cry

Maybe she's born with it
    Years
    One Piece, Nico Robin's 3 episode long past, especially how it was building up to it and you knew something was going to happen. Also pretty much the first few episodes of Aishteruze Baby, I still miss the yellow hat and don't even get me started on the manga.

Years
    Spoiler:

Last edited by a moderator:

Chad -

Years
    • Seen Aug 27, 2012
    Spoiler:

Last edited:
    Years
    Spoiler:

Spoiler:
    Whoahoho, guys, use spoiler tags. Strangely enough, a few arc-enders in Gintama also had me in teary-eyes, like the fireworks episode.

Last edited:

Chad -

Years
    • Seen Aug 27, 2012
    I forgot about the spoiler things. I edited my post.

Spoiler:

Graceful

あぁ、たいさ!♥
    Years
    I cried in the episode about Ichigo's mom and how she died and Ichigo trying to avenge her in Bleach. The end got me, with Ichigo injured and Rukia looking over him and the flashbacks.... *cries*
    And in the My neighbour Totoro movie when mei goes missing.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 28, 2019
    1. Angel beats!
    I cried a lot during it, in many different parts of the anime.

2. H20 Footprints in the sand
    I cried during the ending.

3. 5 centimeters per second.

It was just sad D:

Eucliffe

☆ E N T E R T A I N E R
    Years
    At the end of Angel Beats!, I bawled. I knew it was gonna be bittersweet, but I'm kind of emotional, so yeah.

And then there was the end of Kotomi's arc in CLANNAD (I'll start After Story soon, I promise). Being bittersweet as well, I was crying for a bit.

And while 5cm per second didn't make me cry, I was a bit on the depressed side for a while.

Oh, and I kind of cried with Grave of the Fireflies. None of Miyazaki's other films are as depressing, so I wasn't expecting that sort of outcome.

Finally, as I am reading Elfen Lied, there are points in the manga where I almost cried because of how hard some of the characters have it, but I refrained from doing so.

Back