• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Many Questions

Years
  • I'm working on a FireRed ROM hack for a while now and I've been browsing across different threads in the ROM hacking pages. I recently learned of decompilers for RSE that can give access to the games source code, which was programmed in C (I know a bit of C++, so it should be relatively easy to learn, compared to ASM). I haven't found any decompilers for FireRed (yet).

Does anyone know good decompilers for FireRed? If not, I'm looking for some tools (if they exist) for the following implementations:
    -adding more Pokemon
    -adding more Abilities

I know of a lot of great patches with a lot of additions, but I'm looking for some specific additions to my hack. I would love to avoid learning ASM as much as possible. I know that some tiny fixes, such as unlimited TM use, require an understanding of ASM.

Thanks much!

Years
  • As far as I know you have to move and repoint the tables in a hex editor if you want to expand the actual number available. I would find a base rom patch that is already expanded and replace data if I were you to make it easier but if you don't mind using HxD there are tutorials out there and it's not that difficult.

Years
  • What FireRed patches do you recommend? I want to be able to make custom abilities in my hack. I would assume that I could tinker with the abilities using a hex editor.

Back