• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Help Thread: Map Rating/Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Age 25
    • Seen Dec 9, 2015
    Guess Ill submit one today ~
    A unspecified route for Pokemon Crescent.
    Ignore the black tiles, I was working with a older version of the rom and did not have them to hand.
    Spoiler:

I generally like this map, the only thing I'd say is maybe it could use a house of some sort by that log towards the top left. Just to add some semblance of civilization. Otherwise I like the path you take through the route.

-----

Since this is my first post I'd like to have two things looked at, if that's okay :P

Map Name: Nyche Woods
    Map Game: Pokemon Silver
    Comments: This will be the map that the player visits to receive Celebi as their starter, as well as initiate the introductory sequence of traveling to the doomed future and discovering your overall mission in the story. With that in mind, I'd like the design to leave an impression.

Spoiler:

Map Name: Lamorey Region Town Map
    Comments: First attempt at a Pokemon map, after a lot of revisions.

Spoiler:

Years
  • I generally like this map, the only thing I'd say is maybe it could use a house of some sort by that log towards the top left. Just to add some semblance of civilization. Otherwise I like the path you take through the route.

-----

Since this is my first post I'd like to have two things looked at, if that's okay :P

Map Name: Nyche Woods
    Comments: This will be the map that the player visits to receive Celebi as their starter, as well as initiate the introductory sequence of traveling to the doomed future and discovering your overall mission in the story. With that in mind, I'd like the design to leave an impression.

Spoiler:

Map Name:Lamorey Region Town Map

Spoiler:

For a Gen 2 Map that forest looks quite good. Gen 1 and 2 don't have the best graphics ever...
    It also does what a forest needs to do. It has some corners, ledges and twists in the road which is nice for a forest.

7/10 in my opinion.

Only one thing... I don't really see a way to get from the buttom gate house to the upper gate house... Seems unpossible with those ledges... Is that on purpose?

I don't have any complaints about the town map to be honest.
    Standard Gen 2 map, does what it's supposed to do, not much out of place.
    Maybe the lake on the lower right... It's the route next to it that is it's border. Unless that's on purpose, of course. But I think that's it.
    8/10

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Alright... Time to post a map myself.

Spoiler:

Map Name: Banyan Creek
    Map Game: Pokemon Fire Red
    Comments:
    I'm practicing my mapping to perhaps make an hack in the future.
    Banyan Creek is supposed to be a starting town. The lowest house on the left is the player's house. Prof. Oak is waiting outside to give you a starter.

Last edited by a moderator:

Uncommon

Oozma Kappa
    Years
  • Map Name: Nyche Woods

Spoiler:

Map Name: Lamorey Region Town Map

Spoiler:

Oooh, I'm such a sucker for GBC tiles! Gold was my first, and still my favorite, Pokemon game. These look awesome!

A couple points for improvement:

Your first map looks very similar to Ilex Forest. That might be intentional (especially since it's where you find Celebi), but you might want to try differentiate it a little bit. Maybe a different overall shape or the gatehouse in different spots, etc. I know there's not a huge amount of variation you can do with the limited Gen II tiles, but just something to think about.

Same comment as above post: is there supposed to be a traversable path from the bottom gatehouse to the top? Sure looks like there isn't one right now. Is that intentional?

You have a couple of one-tile ledges that feel a little out of place to me. Each one restricts the player to one tile of traversable path going up through them, and since they don't meaningfully change the overall path, I would probably eliminate them. Up to you.

Your world map looks great. Very nice consistency with GSC's map. If you're intending to use it in a hack, be warned that the name of towns you scroll over is shown at the upper left (in FR at least) and will cover up towns in that corner. I think yours are all far enough away, just a word of caution for the future.

Spoiler:

Map Name: Banyan Creek
    Map Game: Pokemon Fire Red
    Comments:
    I'm practicing my mapping to perhaps make an hack in the future.
    Banyan Creek is supposed to be a starting town. The lowest house on the left is the player's house. Prof. Oak is waiting outside to give you a starter.

Love this map, looks awesome. I really appreciate the thought that went into the cliffs along the outer boundary of the town, instead of just building the town itself and relying on a border block. Also really good integration of palettes; the slightly faded look gives it an "old" feel, at least to me.

One small point for improvement: your thin trees are all using the bottom tile with shadow, which is inconsistent with the big trees and make them look a little blocky. You probably want to change those to ones without shadow.

Keep up the good work!

Years
    • Age 25
    • Seen Dec 9, 2015
    The forest was actually supposed to have a cut tree so you could go back up, I completely forgot to put it in though so now its there. I'll probably try to do some improvements (make it wider) and add more to the forest since the general shape is exactly like Ilex forest.

Also I do plan on changing the graphics eventually, I'm just in the map making phase of this rom hack.

Map Name: Scorpio Town
    Comments: First town with a gym, also the location of that lake you see on my town map.

Spoiler:

Years
    • Seen Jul 29, 2018
    Hey guys i have been trying out some new stuff lately and this is the result. i didnt really focus on the details because i am really just trying to see how this second layer works in towns. this map has no real context, its not part of any hack or something, its just a test. what are our thoughts?

Spoiler:

Years
    • Age 25
    • Seen Dec 9, 2015
    Hey guys i have been trying out some new stuff lately and this is the result. i didnt really focus on the details because i am really just trying to see how this second layer works in towns. this map has no real context, its not part of any hack or something, its just a test. what are our thoughts?

Spoiler:

I really like the area east of the department store, the general stairs going down into the areas for the buildings is nice. I think the town should be a bit more compressed and that northern area should have some sort of buildings or something in it. Also the exit to the north could be a bit less oriented to the right, or maybe not as wide. Otherwise I like the general layout since that's what you wanted feedback on.

7/10

Reactions: Nex
    Years
  • Hey guys i have been trying out some new stuff lately and this is the result. i didnt really focus on the details because i am really just trying to see how this second layer works in towns. this map has no real context, its not part of any hack or something, its just a test. what are our thoughts?

Spoiler:

The map overall is nice but the north western corner could probably use a small pond or something.

8/10

My turn
    I have been working on a total of 7 maps over two weeks
    they are still under devlopment adding and tweaking maps the maps i didnt upload yet is viewable
    by the world map

The last 4 days i updated most of these maps and i fixed some errors i saw.
    I would like these maps reviewed please.

Route 501
    501.jpg

Route 503
    Route 503.jpg

Neko Forest could change the name later
    neko forest.jpg

A world map with a total of 6 maps spliced together
    world 1.7.jpg

Last edited:

Sefuree

Canada Goose
    Years
  • Spoiler:

7/10

The maps are nice but there are a lot of empty spaces. You should work on filling them in and making your map seem fuller.

Made this map for Pokemon: Hybrid Version!

1106075_orig.png

PokemonBen

Kanto Champion
    Years
    • Age 24
    • Seen Apr 27, 2020
    7/10

The maps are nice but there are a lot of empty spaces. You should work on filling them in and making your map seem fuller.

Made this map for Pokemon: Hybrid Version!

1106075_orig.png

Your map is good, but I believe you had the same map in Emerald in your Pokemon Hybrid thread? Or a custom tileset. It looked better the old way. Old Way was a solied 9/10 for me but this one is a 5/10. The tileset made all the difference.
    pallet town 2025.png

So this is an extended Pallet Town for Fire Red using the Saffron City Tileset. It's set in the future, so I guess I'll call it Pallet Town 2025 (stolen from Call of Duty). I just wanted to know opinions as I feel it may be a little bland, but then again, everything is a bit more cramped in a emulator.

Crimson Stardust

Anime Addiction
    Years
  • Your map is good, but I believe you had the same map in Emerald in your Pokemon Hybrid thread? Or a custom tileset. It looked better the old way. Old Way was a solied 9/10 for me but this one is a 5/10. The tileset made all the difference.
    View attachment 77189

So this is an extended Pallet Town for Fire Red using the Saffron City Tileset. It's set in the future, so I guess I'll call it Pallet Town 2025 (stolen from Call of Duty). I just wanted to know opinions as I feel it may be a little bland, but then again, everything is a bit more cramped in a emulator.

Hi there,
    To rate your map, this is based on my personal opinion, been awhile since i rate a map..
    Ok, for me, it is truly boring. The map is just to square. and the city is just so empty.
    You can make the map look less square and add more stuff in the city, but at the same time not too clustered.

1/10

My Map
    Map Name: Some Random Cave
    Map Game: Forgot
    Comments: One of my old map. I forgot whether i did it for my hack or for fun. Its been like 2-3 years since then..haha

Spoiler:

M.L

Invisible
    Years
    • Seen Dec 21, 2017
    Hi there,
    To rate your map, this is based on my personal opinion, been awhile since i rate a map..
    Ok, for me, it is truly boring. The map is just to square. and the city is just so empty.
    You can make the map look less square and add more stuff in the city, but at the same time not too clustered.

1/10

My Map
    Map Name: Some Random Cave
    Comments: One of my old map. I forgot whether i did it for my hack or for fun. Its been like 2-3 years since then..haha

Spoiler:
    Rating
    Spoiler:

My map:
    Spoiler:

Crimson Stardust

Anime Addiction
    Years
  • Rating
    Spoiler:

My map:
    Spoiler:

To your map,
    First, it looks really pleasing to the eyes..haha

But, i don't know if i forgot or you just leave it be, but there tile errors on the mountain end.
    2ndly, this may just me, but i like the natural type of mapping hence why i think your map just looked too structured or planned, since it looks like it is in the forest/wild..etc..the trees should look more natural and the mountains can be shown more..etc..

but that just an opinion from me who favours natural mapping, but at the same time yours look much better then those structured mapped..haha..sorry if i don't make sense..xD

6/10

My Map
    Map Name: Route 1
    Comments: Route 1 and the first event in my old hack..haha(them memories) Don't know why i didnt use or add the small trees in..haha
    Spoiler:

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
    Years
  • My Map
    Map Name: Route 1
    Comments: Route 1 and the first event in my old hack..haha(them memories) Don't know why i didnt use or add the small trees in..haha
    Spoiler:

This map is really pretty.
    As I'm someone who maps Game Freak style I'm not the most suited to rate a natural style map, but I'll do my best.
    The first problem is that this map isn't fully natural style. You have a straight border of trees around the entire thing. I realize that this is to get A-Map to display the correct tiles past the edge of the map, but if you're going full naturalist, you should instead expand the map in all directions and fill the edges with more natural trees so the player can't see the end of the map. The player can see 7 tiles left and right and I think 4.5 up and down, so make sure you have that many natural tree tiles in between the player and the edge.
    The other minor thing is the fairly large amount of open space at the very top of the map, behind the front layer of trees. When making the map, it doesn't seem like a big deal, but when playing this map I'd think there's an item back there, try to figure out how to get over to it, and be frustrated when I figure out that there's no way back there. Also, from an artistic perspective, it's catching a viewer's eye when you should be directing their attention towards the actually interesting parts of the map: the paths, tall grass, and central group of trees.
    I don't normally give ratings, since I find them to be pretty subjective and arbitrary, but everyone else in this thread is doing it and I'm a sucker for peer pressure so I'd say 9/10. Despite my lengthy wall of text, this map is quite good.

--

My Map
    I didn't make a map.

Last edited:

Lance32497

LanceKoijer of Pokemon_Addicts
    Years
  • Since there's no map to review, I'm here to show my map, I'm really noob in making map so I need feedbacks for me to improve my mapping skill.

Map Game: All of these are FIRERED.

Criscanto Town
    Weather: Regular
    *This town is the hometown of the player. The Laboratory isn't placed here that's why there are 3 houses only. The unique house on the left side is the player's house, while the others are player's childhood friends' houses.
    Spoiler:

Route 1
    Weather: Regular
    *This is the first route of the game, the upper connection is the hometown and the lower connection is the central city.
    Spoiler:

Olenburg City
    Weather: Rainy
    *The central city of WEST GINOA Region, the biggest biulding there is the lab. The first Pokècenter, Pokèmart and Pokèbank can be found there.
    Spoiler:

Route 3
    Weather: Rainy
    *The reason why there's the third route but not the second, it's not yet accessible due to the fact that you have to defeat the first gym leader before entering the route. Anyway, Landalure gate can be found there, that's the home of steel type pokèmon.
    Spoiler:

Landalure City
    Weather: Mist
    *It was once a mountain but since the father of the gym took care of it, the Pokèmon society decided to build buildings here for poor and homeless Pokèmon. Later on, they decided to make it a town and it was called city after the establishment of the gym.
    Spoiler:

NOTE:
    I'm using Diegoisawesone's Triple layer-block hack that's why there are blocks that aren't supposed to be placed there.

Last edited:

M.L

Invisible
    Years
    • Seen Dec 21, 2017
    Review Long so in a spoiler it goes.
    Spoiler:

No map for me to post today

Years
  • Review of Lance32497's Maps:

Spoiler:

My Map:

Description:

Spoiler:

Image:
    Spoiler:

Last edited:

Lance32497

LanceKoijer of Pokemon_Addicts
    Years
  • Review of RonaldRoo's Map
    Spoiler:

MY MAP
    RETOUCHED OLENBURG CITY
    COMMENT
    If you have seen any error tiles, that might because I'm using Diegoisawesome's Triple layer block hack so the first 2 layers are in one block so the 1st layer of block next to it is the 3rd layer. Anyway, I deleted some tiles that I think don't make any sense and repleaced and added that might beautify the map.
    Spoiler:

Last edited:

Dionen

deprived of sleep
    Years
  • Review of Lance32497's Maps:
    My Map:

Description:

Spoiler:

Image:
    Spoiler:
    I hope you are not using Light Platinum as base for a hack

Years
  • I hope you are not using Light Platinum as base for a hack
    No, I'm using the Emerald 650 ROM base and I'm inserting WesleyFG's tilesets (giving credit for both of coarse!)
    (Sorry if this is off-topic but I felt it needed to be said.)

Proof:
    Spoiler:

Last edited:

Danny0317

Fluorite's back, brah
    Years
    • Age 24
    • Seen Nov 19, 2023

The map itself is quite good. I'd add a few more flowers every now and then. However, the pallets, that needs a lot of work. The red mountain and fences do not look good at all, in my opinion, and the really blue edges of the other tiles either. Fix those things and I won't have any complaints :)

So, here's my map. Emerald is the base, it's called Ivy City, for my hack Fluorite. Credits go out to Wesley FG and Slimshady for the tiles. Don't mind the fact that the Emerald buildings and other tiles clash, I'll fix that eventually.

Spoiler:

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back