• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Map Rating/Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tropical Sunlight

The Faltine
    Years
    Map Name: Route 301

Map Game: Fire Red

Comments:
    ~( '' )~

Mapshot:
    Map Rating/Review Thread
    Simple and nice.
    I miss some more flowers, though. :D
    8/10
    I gave you an eight because it's a really simple route and because of the few flowers.

andyp159

Master of Fire!
    Years
    MAP GAME : Fire Red
    MAPSHOT:
    Spoiler:

COMMENTS: My first attempt at Cave mapping. My thoughts on it is that it is not too bad, but maybe a bit empty. Suggestions and further comments please.

Years
    • Seen Jan 4, 2011
    MAPSHOT:
    Spoiler:

COMMENTS: My first attempt at Cave mapping. My thoughts on it is that it is not too bad, but maybe a bit empty. Suggestions and further comments please.

It's to empty. I know even though it isn't really a maze I would get lost in there since it is to empty. I would add more walls, and make it more maze like GameFreak does.

Larvitar170

Noobie hacker
    Years
    MAPSHOT:
    Spoiler:

Another idea about filling space instead of adding walls would be to enter rocks and other obstacles to guide the player a bit. It's a bit odd with the random sand patches, but they look good.

Years
    • Seen Mar 3, 2014
    Map Name: Route 301

Map Game: Fire Red

Comments: ~( '' )~

Mapshot:
    Map Rating/Review Thread
    I love this map. The flowers are not that big of a deal. the only problem i have with is the mountains don't look good at the top with the grass. It is a problem i run into all the time. If I were you i would just avoid showing that area and fitting the mountain around trees so it looks cleaner. I enjoy the squareness. No need to go nuts. but the tree shadowing is all wrong. fix that and you're good to go! 9/10!!!

Samike360

Lover of May
    Years
    MAPSHOT:
    Spoiler:

I haven't rated many maps, but I really liked your hack so I'll try to help you out. I give it 5/10.

First off, lets look at the island with the cave thingy in the middle. The top of it is filled with tile errors. You have the wrong tile your using for the top back of the mountain (it's hard to explain, but there are two more tiles, one for each side, that you should be using. Your tiles are cutting off the mountain in the middle of it, which isn't right). Use the other tiles.

Secondly, on the ground level the single-spaced rocks are NOT meant to be used. If you look closely at them, you can tell that the base of them is meant to be a second-level mountain. Especially the one in the bottom-left near the ladder on the left side. That has a mountain-back tile in it- it is wrongly used and it looks bad. If you want to fix these, you can probably easily do it in block editor.

Third, the use of the sand is incorrect. The sand tiles are not single-tile decorations, think of them as pieces of a miniture path, but one more squarish than straight. Look at the regular Mt. Moon map- you can see the sand running into the wall and in bigger blobs than what you're using. If you could zoom in on them, it would look like random path pieces splattered all over the map. You can delete them, but please try to use more bigger sandy patches, they look a lot better.

Fourthly (and finally), I personally dislike the huge random row of bubble thingys at the very bottom. That is very random, and unnatural, it is like having a mountain on a route and putting 15 single spaced rocks together on one row. It doesn't make any since, and it is bugging me. Also, at the very bottom-right there is another tile error.

Besides these things it is a pretty good map. I understand if you want to leave empty space for a ground-level cave map. Good luck on your maps in the future.

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
    I thought I'd put out a map to rate. =P

Name: Banter Town
    ROM: Emerald
    Comments: Nothing much, just a town I made. Lab's on the hill, with the Professor's house next to it.

Map Rating/Review Thread

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
    Years
    Map Name: None. Just some outpost/town type thingy.

Map Game: Emerald

Comments: I've never liked making towns, so I usually map caves or routes. I just never like the way my towns turn out, but this one's ok I guess. I made this one specifically to connect 2 other routes that I had made. I might post the whole thing once it's done, but if not, it goes something like this: Starting town -> small route -> cave -> big route -> this town -> another big route -> small route -> large city. I've only made the 2 big routes, the town and the 2nd small routes, so I dunno exactly how it'll end up being yet. (If I even make the whole thing. Not like any of it's gonna be used in a hack or anything.)

I actually thought that the shape of this was perfect to just be a normal route, while keeping the house on the right as a sort of pseudo-pokemon center. I tried making it like that, but I just couldn't get it to look right, so I left it as a town. Another part that I couldn't get looking right was the very middle, where there is a gab between 2 large paths. It looks way better this way, but it's fairly unrealistic... in the end, I just decided to make up a story to go along with it, instead of trying to connect the paths properly.

The story goes: When you first get to the town, you would heal your pokemon (which means you enter from the bottom), then try to continue on, and find that the path has been blocked by some sort of rock, or landslide or something, I dunno (in the grassy area in the middle of the map, between the paths). After that, you have to go back and do something else, and they will clean it up so you can go through in the meantime. Generic plot event really, but it fixed the problem for me lol.

Annnyyyywaaayyy. Towns are really new to me. This is basically the first one I've ever done. (... sorta, but I kinda sucked back then lol.) So, please give me some detailed reviews on how I can improve.
    Still looking for some reviews.

Pokepal17

More cowbell~
    Years
    I thought I'd put out a map to rate. =P

Name: Banter Town
    ROM: Emerald
    Comments: Nothing much, just a town I made. Lab's on the hill, with the Professor's house next to it.

Map Rating/Review Thread

Well, it's very nice, but I would say put some flowers in some other places to give the map a nicer effect.

Overall 9/10.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Aug 20, 2010
    Cinnabar Island
    FireRed
    I made this map because I've always thought that Cinnabar Island needs a volcano.
    img403.imageshack.us/img403/1884/cinnabarisland.png

Last edited:

NiKaNoRoU

we are but particles
    Years
    Cinnabar Island
    FireRed
    I made this map because I've always thought that Cinnabar Island needs a volcano.
    img403.imageshack.us/img403/1884/cinnabarisland.png
    Seems...average. The volcano hole sure needs filling up, in order to cover the black gap. Use more downside tiles.

Also, looks too square for me. But the most improtant problem is that you need to go on a boring walk in order to reach the pokecenter and the mart.

also, there is a tile mistake here that makes it look like it's unaccessible.
    Spoiler:

An overall 5/10.

Years
    • Seen Apr 8, 2024
    Map Name: Pallet Town

Map Game: Pokémon: Fire Red

Comments: a Pallet Town Remake based from the old map..

Mapshot:
    Map Rating/Review Thread

Hohoo

SOMG!1
    Years

Mapshot:
    Spoiler:

I'd give it a 8/10. The overall layout is perfect, but there are some little details that stick out.

First, within the bordering woods, there are skinny trees in groups of two. They don't really fit in the FRLG style. Also, your flowers are all over the ground; consider placing them like the small bushes.

Then, the ground below that signpost in front of Oak's lab looks a little awkward.

So, if those little things get fixed, this would be how Pallet should have looked in FRLG.

And here's my map that I would like to get rated:

Map name:
    Unnamed coast - Unnamed mountain road - Unnamed village - Unnamed canyon
    ROM: Gold
    Hack: Pineapple (working title)
    Comments: I've had the idea for this for years.

Last edited:

Pokepal17

More cowbell~
    Years

Mapshot:
    Map Rating/Review Thread

Looks nice!

However, unless you're using the flowers from Emerald, I would advise you to bunch up the flowers in groups no smaller than three. Spart from that, I really like it. :3

8/10.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Aug 20, 2010
    Cinnabar Island
    FireRed
    I've fixed the problems people pointed out in the earlier version. The map is less square and you don't have to go on a long, boring walk to get anywhere.
    img21.imageshack.us/img21/1884/cinnabarisland.png

NiKaNoRoU

we are but particles
    Years
    Cinnabar Island
    FireRed
    I've fixed the problems people pointed out in the earlier version. The map is less square and you don't have to go on a long, boring walk to get anywhere.
    Much better now! less square, a more realistic crater, that error is fixed...

Although I must admit that this 'empty' space around the pokecenter makes me feel a bit awkward... maybe you should add some eye candy on the path, make a rocky mix, you decide. Or, alternatively, you could add the lab next to the pokecenter and fill up the area where the lab currently is.

You got up by one point five points on my view. Good luck.
    6,5/10.

Years
    Cinnabar Island
    FireRed
    Right, heres how to improve this map:
    - Don't have straight mountains, make them look natural.
    - Put some trees, and some flowers in, to make it look nice.
    - Also, do a lot of block edits, so you can make your map look much nicer.
    Once you've done that, then I'll rate it.
    But, at the moment it's a 3/10 for me.

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
    Cinnabar Island
    FireRed

Awesome! Looks a lot better now.

The part around and above the Pokemon Center could still do with some work, though...

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back