• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Map Rating/Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Muffin™

Knows your age
    Years
    Yes, I am new to mapping:

Name: Sella Town and Route 1

ROM Hack: FireRed

Please criticize if there's any mistakes :3

Sella Town:

Spoiler:

Route 1:

Spoiler:

Anselection

Malicious Mapper
    Years
    • Seen Dec 20, 2011

Sella Town:

Spoiler:

Route 1:

Spoiler:

Well, all you did was move the houses around or put grass in random places. All right, for the first one, since I can't criticize much, I'll offer tips. Ponds or lakes don't usually form a perfect square, so give it some shape to give a more natural feel. And the flowers should be spread out in places around the map. Second map, add some flowers and trees. Maybe a body of water in there somewhere? The paths in map 1 are also too straight and stuff. Give it some shape and creativity.

First map:Beginner Rating: 6/10. Normal rating: 3/10
    Second Map: Beginner rating: 4/10 Normal rating .5/10.
    Hope I helped.

BlitŻ1

guahh my dog is so cute
    Years
    Map Name: Vensien Island
    Hack: Pokemon Saturn
    Hack of: Fire Red
    Map shot:
    Spoiler:

Comments: First town (but not really) in my old project that I'm restarting and publicizing. Just a small island where you and your childhood friends and family live. Sorry for all the extra water space, I just opened a big canvas and started mapping,unknowing how the size would look. :laugh: Don't pay attention to how the lighthouse is cut off, as you will see in the next map.

Map Name: Vensien Town
    Map shot:
    Spoiler:

Comments: Connected to its counterpart both mechanically and terminally, Vensien Town is the home of a small Residence and Dr. Beech ( get it?), the player's Aunt and Sister to Professor Ivy from the Orange Islands. Again, sorry for the extra water space, I had to match it up with the first map. :P

Thanks for any and all rates! ^-^

Anselection

Malicious Mapper
    Years
    • Seen Dec 20, 2011
    Name: Christian Cave
    Rom: Fire Red
    Mapshot:
    Spoiler:

Comments: Made this one kind of fast. It's what's inside that cave in my first map. Constructive Criticism, please. Pros > Cons > Rating Format please.

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
    Map shot:
    Spoiler:

Comments: First town (but not really) in my old project that I'm restarting and publicizing. Just a small island where you and your childhood friends and family live. Sorry for all the extra water space, I just opened a big canvas and started mapping,unknowing how the size would look. :laugh: Don't pay attention to how the lighthouse is cut off, as you will see in the next map.

Map shot:
    Spoiler:

Comments: Connected to its counterpart both mechanically and terminally, Vensien Town is the home of a small Residence and Dr. Beech ( get it?), the player's Aunt and Sister to Professor Ivy from the Orange Islands. Again, sorry for the extra water space, I had to match it up with the first map. :P

Both of those maps are incredibly godly.

I can't really find anything much, but in Vensien Town, to the top right the stairs are misaligned and that just looks wrong.

Other than that, they're perfect.

Rabbit

where is my mind?
    Years
    Mapshot:
    Spoiler:

Comments: Made this one kind of fast. It's what's inside that cave in my first map. Constructive Criticism, please. Pros > Cons > Rating Format please.

Pros...ummm...it's fairly varied. It's nice to see that you're using most the tiles available to you, and even some water tiles. There's variety between the different areas of the map, too. The player won't get lost walking past the same bunch of rocks over and over again. (Like Mt. Moon...I really hated Mt Moon.)

Cons... Boy, do you have a lot of tile errors. I was going to describe them all, but it was taking too long, so here's a picture.

Everything circled in red is where one tile should simply be replaced with another. Everything circled in blue is where the illusion of depth in the elevation breaks down due to misuse of mountain tiles. That won't be as easy to fix. The blue arrows point to a logical error: to the left of the pyramid the areas are level with each other, but on the right, one is higher than the other. Areas can't change their elevation. That's why you need stairs to link one elevation with another. The other blue circled area is where one side of an elevation is missing. The left and right sides always have to be visible, the way they are in the two pyramids. Why not just merge it with the wall of the cave, since they're the same level?

A lot of the formations in this cave are super square. Even the sandy area near the bottom is regular in shape. Square is something you should avoid, especially in a cave that's supposed to have formed naturally. If you want examples from the games, don't look at Mt. Moon. It's an embarassment. Look at Granite Cave or Meteor Falls from R/S/E. Meteor Falls is particularly nice because there are so many gradations in elevation.

I don't usually rate with numbers, but you did ask. 3/10.

Hiche..

Years
    • Seen Dec 27, 2014
    Map shot:
    Spoiler:

Map shot:
    Spoiler:

First map: I really like it. Well made with no tile errors. Maybe darken the mountain tiles a bit.
    Rating: 8.5/10

Second map: Perfect as well. Like above, you can darken the mountain tile a bit (just a suggestion).
    Rating: 9/10

Anselection

Malicious Mapper
    Years
    • Seen Dec 20, 2011
    Thanks, Rabbit. I knew there were insane tile errors, I really just couldn't find the tiles for them. :/ So, I guess I'll leave the cave at a 3/10. I hope to get more reviews from you, 'cause unlike a lot of others, they just tell you it's wrong without telling you how to fix it. :P

Geeked

Pokemon Crimson Version
    Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2012

Sella Town:

Spoiler:

Route 1:

Spoiler:
    @Sella Town
    hmm, You used all the wrong Tree's.. I'd suggest not Lining the buildings up like that, spreading the flowers around a bit, and don't make the lake a square...

2.5/10

@Route 1
    If you played this map would you be irritated? I would!! There's to much grass.. Try lining your grass up in Grass patches rather than all over the place..
    2/10

Map shot:
    Spoiler:

Map shot:
    Spoiler:

hmm, these maps are really good! some of the best I've seen in a while..
    I give both about a 8/10, keep posting up more. :)

Mapshot:
    Spoiler:

There are about a million tile errors in this map.. The whole structure is horrible.. I'm sorry to be harsh, but constructive criticism will make you better..

0.5/10

Anselection

Malicious Mapper
    Years
    • Seen Dec 20, 2011
    Name(s): Whispering Village / Christian Cave / Meewchano City(in order)
    ROM: Fire Red(Glowing Gold Rom Base)
    Mapshot(s):
    Whispering Village
    Spoiler:

Comments: Starter town for a region I'm gonna map out and put on a Rom Base for people who want a custom region but don't wanna deal with all the mapping.

Christian Cave
    Spoiler:

Comments: The cave that is entered through Whispering Village. I know about the tile errors.

Meewchano City
    Spoiler:

Comments: This is the second town, containing the first gym which is an ice based gym.

Comments on all: Constructive criticism, please. Pros > Cons > Suggestions > Criticism.

BlitŻ1

guahh my dog is so cute
    Years
    Name(s): Whispering Village / Christian Cave / Meewchano City(in order)
    ROM: Fire Red(Glowing Gold Rom Base)
    Mapshot(s):
    Whispering Village
    Spoiler:

Comments: Starter town for a region I'm gonna map out and put on a Rom Base for people who want a custom region but don't wanna deal with all the mapping.

Christian Cave
    Spoiler:

Comments: The cave that is entered through Whispering Village. I know about the tile errors.

Meewchano City
    Spoiler:

Comments: This is the second town, containing the first gym which is an ice based gym.

Comments on all: Constructive criticism, please. Pros > Cons > Suggestions > Criticism.

You need to read some guides on mapping, because your maps are very below average. I could say worse, but insulting is not criticism.You lack any sort of style, but it nintendo or naturality . You lack substance and realism in all of the maps you posted becuase you do not take account nature in it, making your maps look actually handmade, and nothing close to a pokemon game. You need to take in account the border along with how much of it you're gonna show, along with how you would like it to be. I suggest you read Ray Mavericks natural mapping tut in the tutorials or Neti's, because they both influenced me to map a lot better. Also, look at other people's maps who scroed high to check out how they drew their's

Quest

Veteran Roleplayer
    Years
    • Seen Jan 6, 2023
    Map Name: Route 1

Map Game: Firered

Comments: My ver first map. I really want feed back on what you all think. Constructive critisicm please.

Mapshot:
    Spoiler:

BlitŻ1

guahh my dog is so cute
    Years

Comments: My ver first map. I really want feed back on what you all think. Constructive critisicm please.

Mapshot:
    Spoiler:

Honestly, I don't understand why people post their very first map. I can just see where you are coming from.." WOW LOOKS AT MEH!!1!!, i MAKES POKMANS GAM!11!" You have tile errors, symmetry, blocks and shapes that are completely unpokemon like. You have border errors and lack of tree shadowing. I suggest you practice and learn from others, also take the advice posted above too. This map deserves a 1/10, only because I can see what little remains of a normal route.

NiKaNoRoU

we are but particles
    Years

Mapshot:
    Spoiler:
    did you even check your map before you post it? because it has two obvious tile errors.

Okay, spitstark. Too much grass, patches of grass, not really needed. Which makes the map look like a pokehunting place and only that.

Borders, borders...you can mess the border on the rock place.

And your trees have shading errors on their bases. All in all, you need to improve it a lot.

3/10.

Anselection

Malicious Mapper
    Years
    • Seen Dec 20, 2011
    Honestly, I don't understand why people post their very first map. I can just see where you are coming from.." WOW LOOKS AT MEH!!1!!, i MAKES POKMANS GAM!11!" You have tile errors, symmetry, blocks and shapes that are completely unpokemon like. You have border errors and lack of tree shadowing. I suggest you practice and learn from others, also take the advice posted above too. This map deserves a 1/10, only because I can see what little remains of a normal route.

Well, he posted his very first(assuming) because he wanted feedback on where to improve. Just like anyone here posting a map. They want feedback. There are the few, like you, who assume they know everything. There's at least one in every section of hacking(Spriting / scripting. Etc.). If it's a first map, give them 2 ratings. A beginner's rating and a normal rating. Not blow up in their face pretty much saying that they suck / fail at life. It's all just opinion.
    Now, for my reviews.
    Blitz's map 1: 5/10. It feels too bleh for me, I don't know how to describe it. Plus I'm not a fan of islands, but it's done pretty well.
    Blitz's map 2: 6/10. I liked this slightly better than the first. But still not a fan of islands.

Kkeith's: Beginner rating: 5/10.
    ------------Normal Rating: 2/10-ish.
    Comments: Too much grass, yes. And the two very obvious tile errors. Take out some grass and add a few flowers. Good luck on future maps. To both of you.

Anselection

Malicious Mapper
    Years
    • Seen Dec 20, 2011
    NAME: Route 1001
    ROM: Fire Red(Golden Glow Base)
    MAPSHOT:
    Spoiler:

COMMENTS: First grass route in the region I'm making
    Constructive Criticism > Pros > Cons > Suggestions > Rating.

~Poke~

Hasn't played 5th gen yet.
    Years
    After a long break, I've come back. And made a map.

Ruby ROM
    Pokémon Life (May be changed)
    Pokémon sanctuary.

Notes: Replaces hometown. The house is where the main character lives. The grass has no Pokémon in it - they are encountered by scripts which are not active until you have a Pokémon.

Map Rating/Review Thread

Oh, of course tinypic made it a .jpg, I'll edit with a .png later.

[EDIT] .png is now in place. [/EDIT]

BlitŻ1

guahh my dog is so cute
    Years
    After a long break, I've come back. And made a map.

Ruby ROM
    Pokémon Life (May be changed)
    Pokémon sanctuary.

Notes: Replaces hometown. The house is where the main character lives. The grass has no Pokémon in it - they are encountered by scripts which are not active until you have a Pokémon.

Map Rating/Review Thread

Oh, of course tinypic made it a .jpg, I'll edit with a .png later.

[EDIT] .png is now in place. [/EDIT]

I like this map a lot, mainly because you managed to pull off beautiful naturality with the worst of tiles xD. Basic layout of decoration and substance is great, along with format of the mountain waterfall and river. I also like how you used the Fortree tiles, which are probably the best tiles in that game >x3, along with that long bushies, they are awesome :D. You also have seem to taken in account of the border, as you made it out of sight. The playabilty of this map is also good, but not the best, as I a don't see that much idea space for interaction for the player. But, the grass idea you have planned will work without using any scripts, just delete the encounter data in that map :P

But since it's not a masterpiece of maps-manship, It'll get a 8/10. Some improvements would be to add some events across the bridge for the player to interact with, and then make the house area empty of people.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back