• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Map Rating/Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
    Years
    • Seen Jan 4, 2011
    Fair Enough, so I'll maker the dirt and Mountains more jagged and fix the trees?
    Gotcha

EDIT:
    Map Rating/Review Thread

kk Is this better?

It is better, but there are some things I didn't notice before.

Map Rating/Review Thread

The tree I circled has the part as if a tree was below it.

The dirt I circled you might want to make the path go up like this. (Even though it's sand I think you get the idea.)
    Map Rating/Review Thread

The rock you might want to make a tile with a bit of grass edge on the side.

The PC you need the tile there. I can never find it in Advance Map, so I make my own tile that looks exactly like it.

Skara

THIS. IS. SEMPITERNAL.
    Years
    It is better, but there are some things I didn't notice before.

Map Rating/Review Thread

The tree I circled has the part as if a tree was below it.

The dirt I circled you might want to make the path go up like this. (Even though it's sand I think you get the idea.)
    Map Rating/Review Thread

The rock you might want to make a tile with a bit of grass edge on the side.

The PC you need the tile there. I can never find it in Advance Map, so I make my own tile that looks exactly like it.
    I SO goddamn hope this is the last time I have to post this XD

Map Rating/Review Thread

There's more space and map issues have been fixed

~Hot n' Cold~

is too good for a title.
    Years
    I am going to begin making another hack soon enough.
    I will be posting more maps soon.
    I find the snow ROM base extremely hard to work with.

So I'll start rating first.

@Skara
    Spoiler:

Your map's idea is good. I like the cominbation of the two purple houses. However, it is not original. Anyone with eyesight could see that this is an edit of Lavendar Town. It is overall well-based, just not appealing to the common eye.

There are multiple tile errors, including 2 errors on the trees next to the PC, and that big building just messes up the whole scenery. It's just one huge tile error.

You also put way too many rocks. It's very unappealing. Restructure the big building that used to be the Pokemon Tower, and remove some rocks. The cave is also way too small to be a real cave.

3/10

Esp1222

Psychic Lover
    Years
    Map Name: Gralf Village
    ROM Base: Fire Red
    Hack: None (For now)

Mapshot:
    Spoiler:

Comments: The mart is supposed to be that way. This is a large-scale village. There are 3 routes, but only 2 are open. It's supposed to be square. This is a test version.

Bumping it up so it'll get rated.

Skara

THIS. IS. SEMPITERNAL.
    Years
    I am going to begin making another hack soon enough.
    I will be posting more maps soon.
    I find the snow ROM base extremely hard to work with.

So I'll start rating first.

@Skara
    Spoiler:

Your map's idea is good. I like the cominbation of the two purple houses. However, it is not original. Anyone with eyesight could see that this is an edit of Lavendar Town. It is overall well-based, just not appealing to the common eye.

There are multiple tile errors, including 2 errors on the trees next to the PC, and that big building just messes up the whole scenery. It's just one huge tile error.

You also put way too many rocks. It's very unappealing. Restructure the big building that used to be the Pokemon Tower, and remove some rocks. The cave is also way too small to be a real cave.

3/10
    1. I wasn't intending on being original with this
    2. It's MEANT to be Lavender Town
    3. That "Cave" is Mr Fuji's house (I went a bit mental)
    4. Rocks never hurt anyone.... wait.... you know what I mean
    5. Just fixed the trees

I'm listening though lol, I'll post another one when I get Raichu and Swift's opinions

EDIT: @Dark Sceptile

97% (9.7/10)

It's a lovely map BUT. The Mart has blue behind it which doesn't look great and the grass at the top looks slightly odd
    Maybe you could sort out the grass by using different variations of grass available?
    I know I'm not exactly The Beatles of mapping but still....

Banjora Marxvile

hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen May 30, 2024
    Map Name: Gralf Village
    ROM Base: Fire Red
    Hack: None (For now)

Mapshot:
    Spoiler:

Comments: The mart is supposed to be that way. This is a large-scale village. There are 3 routes, but only 2 are open. It's supposed to be square. This is a test version.

The house looks so bad... Sorry, that really affects my judgment. It may be a test version, but would have been nicer to see a finished version. There are 5 different grassy ground tiles in FR, and when used correctly look good, but you haven't done that, making a pattern in a way. The PC looks... Strange like that. The roof is also wrong of that. So:

Fix free space
    Fix the house and PC
    Tree border is too square, perhaps more natural shaping
    Post the final map!

6/10.

@countryemo:

Right, same advice about the grassy ground. You only used 1 variant, Too many rocks for my liking, too huddled together. Also, there is 1 error in the small trees, look near the gym sign, as it is the overlapping of 1 tree... Ooh! Border block issues in the South West corner as well. You can see it from in front of hat house. Perhaps the mountain is too square... Ah, I don't really see that as an issue in this.

7.5/10.

Years
    • Seen Aug 5, 2013
    Route 3
    Game Engine: Fire Red
    Hack: The Tempest

Comments: Here is my attempt at fixing this route. The old one is on the previous page of this thread if you want to compare this with the old version.

Map Rating/Review Thread

Route 1
    "
    "
    Comments: You initially come from the west.

Map Rating/Review Thread

just bumping because it never got rated :shocked:
    by the way, the top map is supposed to look like a rockslide recently occured

Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2021
    Map name: Chera Cliff
    Game: FR
    Hack: None
    Comment: I've been practicing my mapping lately, and trying out new styles.
    Not one of my best maps, just a quick one.
    Spoiler:
    Just bumping my map so it gets rated~

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    @chrunch Far too much grass, there should be some larger gaps between it.

Other than that there's not really much to rate... cliff shapes are good, flowers could do with being closer together (in 'bunches') and use some of the other FR grass tiles.

Oh and if you are meant to be able to go to another map at the bottom right then that border is ok, but if not the map will need to be extended a bit because the mountain/water will muck up the border.

6/10

Skara

THIS. IS. SEMPITERNAL.
    Years

Map Rating/Review Thread

Other than that there's not really much to rate... cliff shapes are good, flowers could do with being closer together (in 'bunches') and use some of the other FR grass tiles.

Oh and if you are meant to be able to go to another map at the bottom right then that border is ok, but if not the map will need to be extended a bit because the mountain/water will muck up the border.

6/10

I'm waiting for your opinion on mine, you're more critical and you know what you're on about XD

~Hot n' Cold~

is too good for a title.
    Years
    I'm sorry for spamming up this thread, but you just really offended me Skara.
    If you think I'm nothing, try explaining these to me:

This goes with these:
    This one and this one. Oh, and this one.

This goes with this.

This goes with this one.

SO...
    Don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing on SwiftSign, he's a great mapper, but you basically told me that I sucked and my rating is not important to you. You should take every bit of criticism you get if you want to be a good mapper.

And I'm not gloating that I am a wonderful mapper, I have a lot to work on, but at least I take every bit of criticism I get and not blow off somebody I don't knows crit.

Okay. As soon as Skara reads this, I will delete it.

Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2021

6/10
    It was supposed to have alot of grass to annoy people.:)

and, yeah, you are meant to be able to go right at the bottom.

.LMG.

Yeah! Custom User Title!
    Years
    • Seen Aug 8, 2015
    Name: GECHO TOWN (New Home Town)
    Game: Pokemon Sacred Flame (Fire Red)
    Mapshot:
    Spoiler:

Comment away!

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023

Map Rating/Review Thread

Ok, critical opinion coming up.

Entrance at top is too narrow, it needs some widening out and probably a path leading upwards. I would say the other entrances to the map also need some paths as they look bland and boring.

The mountains are whacky and weird shapes, but atleast they have a few more layers now. Spread the rocks out a bit more.

The biggest tip I can give you is make the mapsize larger, not necessarily to make the town bigger but so you can be more elaborate on the mountains. If you want to attach a .map file from a-map or PM me one I'll show you what I mean.

I think this map is still a 4/10, maybe a 4.5.

(In the future be courteous to people who take the time to rate like ~Hot n' Cold~ :) she did point out some good points, which I don't feel the need to repeat :P.)

Name: GECHO TOWN (New Home Town)
    Game: Pokemon Sacred Flame (Fire Red)
    Mapshot:
    Spoiler:

Comment away!

I really like this map, you've made great use of the interesting snowy tile and have arranged the trees well. However there will be border errors on the top and left sides of the map, and although you have put most wild grass unreachable there are a few patchs that the player can reach (around the ice).

I can't see any tile errors, a good sign as it's often easy to make errors on a map that is mostly the same colour (darn snow).

A good small village map, 9/10

Last edited:

tinix

PearlShipper & C Programmer
    Years
    Name: Pallet gardens
    Game: Fire red
    Comments: It`s route from Pallet town to 9th gym which you can also see on the map

PS : Because im new here i was forced to post image as attachment

DrFuji

[I]Heiki Hecchara‌‌[/I]
    Years
    Eeveon said:
    Hey look, I got skipped!

But seriously, rate my map. :|

Map Rating/Review Thread

I like the shape of the island - Its very... curvey :x

I'm just not feeling the top-right area of the map since despite the fact it has rocks it seems empty. Bring the shoreline inland or something? idk.

Along with the top-right feeling empty, the area around the houses could have some of the same work done. I feel that a big tree or some rocks or something along those lines would liven it up a bit.

I don't like attaching numbers to things, but I'll give it a rating of 7.75/10

tinix said:
    Name: Pallet gardens
    Game: Fire red
    Comments: It`s route from Pallet town to 9th gym which you can also see on the map

I'd like to start off by saying that the map as a whole isn't very good. Flowers aren't suppossed to be abused like that and there is little room for the player to move since you added such constrictive fences. There are also tile errors all over the map - The large trees don't have correct shaddowing, the thin trees are incorrect and the fences appear to be missing corners.

I'd implore you to open up the map more (and when I mean more, I mean more) by removing the fences and allowwing the player to walk around the area where the flowers are. Remove the eye-sore flowers and make it appear more 'route-ish' than a garden gone mad: Mix it up, put in more cliffs, grass, lakes; whatever takes your fancy.

I'm sorry, but I would have to say that it is 1/10

Omega Zero said:
    Sorry but that map is terrible
    it's very unnatural and the map just looks.. Eww..
    sorry but i'd give it a 0.1/10

How about giving some constructive criticism next time?

tinix

PearlShipper & C Programmer
    Years
    I'd like to start off by saying that the map as a whole isn't very good. Flowers aren't suppossed to be abused like that and there is little room for the player to move since you added such constrictive fences. There are also tile errors all over the map - The large trees don't have correct shaddowing, the thin trees are incorrect and the fences appear to be missing corners.

I'd implore you to open up the map more (and when I mean more, I mean more) by removing the fences and allowwing the player to walk around the area where the flowers are. Remove the eye-sore flowers and make it appear more 'route-ish' than a garden gone mad: Mix it up, put in more cliffs, grass, lakes; whatever takes your fancy.

I'm sorry, but I would have to say that it is 1/10

Thanks for your criticism. I will try to make map better.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back