• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Map Rating/Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Samike360

Lover of May
    Years
    Map Name: Route 1

Map Game: Firered

Comments: Just a map I made for a hack I'm working with...I tried not to make it too cramped, 2 tile width everywhere, but I know I had a 1 tile wide thing at the bottom (but that is just so my scripting job is a little easier :P)

Mapshot:

Spoiler:

Chaos190

Likes to Hack Pokemon
    Years
    • Seen May 25, 2016
    Map Name: Route 1

Map Game: Firered

Comments: Just a map I made for a hack I'm working with...I tried not to make it too cramped, 2 tile width everywhere, but I know I had a 1 tile wide thing at the bottom (but that is just so my scripting job is a little easier :P)

Mapshot:

Spoiler:
    First of all tree at the botton right looks just plain wrong. Try changing that. Trees give shape to this map which I like. Screw those pathes in the top right! >:(
    7.5/10

Hey guys, just wondering if you guys will rate my map

Map Name: None yet...

Game: Fire Red

Comments: I felt like experimenting with the trees so if it looks bad please just say so! =D This is also where the player starts at the beginning of the game and the players house is at the top right corner of the map on the mountains. The gym looking building is a just sub for a lab.

Credits: The SSKD Project
    -TB Pro
    -Alistair
    -Kyledove
    -Saurav
    If you start in the right corner how do you get to the lab? Everything is blocked off! Since Half the map is blocked off I'm afraid that this isn't a very good map. Try to make it so the player can get to everywhere in the map. Trees the shading is right. The trees just look ok to me.
    4/10

Last edited:

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
    If you start in the right corner how do you get to the lab? Everything is blocked off! Since Half the map is blocked off I'm afraid that this isn't a very good map. Try to make it so the player can get to everywhere in the map. Trees the shading is right. The trees just look ok to me.
    4/10

Herp derp, if it's blocked off, maybe there's a reason for it? :O Maybe you're meant to come back later? :O

@TehHepticOne; It's a pretty good map, and I like the way the trees are done. I'm just wondering though - how are you going to get a lab that big? :O And it makes me wonder...what IS up there? :D

Rabbit

where is my mind?
    Years
    Hey guys, just wondering if you guys will rate my map

Map Name: None yet...

Comments: I felt like experimenting with the trees so if it looks bad please just say so! =D This is also where the player starts at the beginning of the game and the players house is at the top right corner of the map on the mountains. The gym looking building is a just sub for a lab.

Credits: The SSKD Project
    -TB Pro
    -Alistair
    -Kyledove
    -Saurav

It seems strange to me that the two halves of the map aren't connected. I guess you could say that you put two different areas together to save space, but it might be frustrating for the player not to be able to reach an area two tiles away, you know what I mean? I guess if they're connected later...

But I really like this map, overall. The way you've used ground tiles to carpet the town is pretty original. The tree placement is really nice. It doesn't seem strange that different trees are side by side - instead it looks like a natural forest. The elevation is also very well done. I like the two isolated houses and the way the path curves around the lake.

What I don't like is the path through the forest in general. Forest? I mean park. The path is too narrow and boring. I think you should chop down some of those trees and put in tall grass.

There's a tile error in the town, just under one of the two side-by-side houses. :0

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
    Years
    Instead of a mapshot, I present you with... A video!
    Hmm... the video doesn't appear to be working, so here's the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGXOBYzHrxs
    (It's a video showing me actually making the map in case you couldn't figure that out.)

Just kidding. Sorta... anyway, the mapshot/info about the actual map is at the bottom of the post, so check that out to actually rate the map. I wanted to be sure and include this, because it's pretty cool, and I wanted to explain the blind aspect of the map. Just go read the video description if you want a detailed explanation... but basically, the idea was that I would make a map completely off the top of my head, and see what I could come up with.

Map Name:
    None.

Map Game: Emerald

Comments: The reason that there's only one hole for all three boulders is actually (making this up just now lawl) because the next floor has 3 more holes, and you have get them into those three holes... but seriously, it was like last second, and I had no room to put in a real puzzle. Still, that's a pretty cool idea, so I'll just roll with it. There's not really much else to say about it that isn't already said in the video.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Nov 29, 2021
    Map Name: Bedrock Town

Map Game: Fire Red

Comments: Not much here to do normally as it's mainly going to be plot related. Also, first map I've made! :)

img139.imageshack.us/img139/795/bedrocktown.png

Fujitsu

Now with leather seats!
    Years
    Map Name: Let's just go with "Route 12"

Comments: First "real" map attempted for a hack. I realize the utter futility of having the bottom right corner. It's just there to make the map look complete.

Mapshot: Since I'm new, I'll just have to post a link.

i48.tinypic.com/dgj8qw.jpg

simdu68

asleep all summer zzZZ
    Years
    Map Name: Let's just go with "Route 12"

Comments: First "real" map attempted for a hack. I realize the utter futility of having the bottom right corner. It's just there to make the map look complete.

Mapshot: Since I'm new, I'll just have to post a link.

i48.tinypic.com/dgj8qw.jpg

hmm, the map is really great! nice mountain shape, nice wild grass placement, the pond also is alright, though I don't really like the thing which looks like a kind of island in the pond.....donnow why^^
    and the house how you did it is also good, but that the prof oak is behind, I really don't like it.....first I even didn't see how you get to him....
    you can only get to him by going through only 1 tile, I don't like such walking places and even less in the way you did it, behind a house a one tile path is bad for the playablity coz maybe you even don't see at once that you are able to go there :/
    well, overall I like this map, I also didn't find any tile errors, congrats! for a first post it is really good^^

rating:
    9/10

Fujitsu

Now with leather seats!
    Years
    hmm, the map is really great! nice mountain shape, nice wild grass placement, the pond also is alright, though I don't really like the thing which looks like a kind of island in the pond.....donnow why^^
    and the house how you did it is also good, but that the prof oak is behind, I really don't like it.....first I even didn't see how you get to him....
    you can only get to him by going through only 1 tile, I don't like such walking places and even less in the way you did it, behind a house a one tile path is bad for the playablity coz maybe you even don't see at once that you are able to go there :/
    well, overall I like this map, I also didn't find any tile errors, congrats! for a first post it is really good^^

rating:
    9/10

I understand what you mean. The island is actually part of a side-quest, so it's artificial-ness is not to be seen as bad, hopefully, although I see what you mean about "Oak".

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2024
    Okay, so I decided to post some more stuff from Nirvana. Credits to zein and me.
    Velonoth Hills:
    Spoiler:

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
    Okay, so I decided to post some more stuff from Nirvana. Credits to zein and me.
    Velonoth Hills:
    Spoiler:

tcha. It's a pretty beautiful map, yes, but you see how near the cave entrance to the far right, the player has to follow the exact path that you've given them? It's kinda annoying to have to walk like that.

That and there's a severe lack of grass. Your tightly-knitted trees have prevented much grass from being put in there, meaning, well, it's kinda empty, tbh. And imo, you could've added more of that other tree. :D

Other than that though, the main shape of the map is beautiful. Trees are well done (though that pattern can be annoying...) and shape is pretty beautiful in general. :D

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2024
    tcha. It's a pretty beautiful map, yes, but you see how near the cave entrance to the far right, the player has to follow the exact path that you've given them? It's kinda annoying to have to walk like that.

That and there's a severe lack of grass. Your tightly-knitted trees have prevented much grass from being put in there, meaning, well, it's kinda empty, tbh. And imo, you could've added more of that other tree. :D

Other than that though, the main shape of the map is beautiful. Trees are well done (though that pattern can be annoying...) and shape is pretty beautiful in general. :D

There is a forest if you haven't noticed. That forest is full of grass. It'd be annoying to fill this map with grass also, so there goes the small patches of grass.
    And that small near the cave's entrance, I find it very good and it won't change.

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years

There is a forest if you haven't noticed.

...no I hadn't, actually, thanks. Although, really, it's up to opinion about the cave. It might be your map, but it IS for Nirvana, and, in the end, the people playing it are the one's that are important, and I don't know many people that'd like winding down a snake-like path playing Pokemon. =|

Rexo

Rexo
    Years
    To Eeveon:
    I like this map. Beautiful tiles of the houses. But I've got a few comments on this one.
    First of all, the grass is not well placed. There are one or two pieces of grass in places you are not able to reach. So, you can better leave that out. I like the lake and the path placement. Another thing is the trees. Try to overlap trees sometimes, because this lookes all to much squared to me. Anyway, I think it's a fine map so i'd give a 7 out of 10.
    See ya!

countryemo

Kicking against the earth!
    Years
    My first try at a route

Map Name: Undecided
    Hack: Aragonite
    Comments: This is my first try at a route following right from a Town in my hack.
    I know its kinda bad but ok here it is.
    Map:
    Spoiler:

PEPITO1O1O

~Saïx~
    Years
    Map Name: Undecided
    Hack: Aragonite
    Comments: This is my first try at a route following right from a Town in my hack.
    I know its kinda bad but ok here it is.
    Map:
    Spoiler:

8/10
    Randomize the mountian area a little more. And the trees that are on the left (the small ones) make them more random too. "trees don't grow in rows" ;p

Rabbit

where is my mind?
    Years
    Velonoth Hills:
    Spoiler:

Ooh, very pretty! I especially like the river with the island in the middle. It looks like a very wild, pristine forest. The elevations are well done, and the shape of the path is interesting.

There's a small tile error on the bottom left side of the river. Or maybe it just looks like a tile error? It's odd the way you're using riverbank tiles.

In some places, the path seems rather narrow and cramped. It would be nice to have a grassy clearing somewhere, just to shake off that feeling of claustrophobia. You could also give the player a separate path, either through the use of ledges or surfing. The river offers one solution. If you made a second path down to the river, on the right-hand bank, the player could surf over the river and avoid going through the two bridges.

The path to the cave looks very odd and very, very narrow. Is there a particular reason for that? Also, I'm wondering what those fences are doing there.

Years
    • Seen Nov 29, 2021

Comments: Not much here to do normally as it's mainly going to be plot related. Also, first map I've made! :)

Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Oct 21, 2019

This map would be extremely annoying to play through. Also, seeing as how you aimed to make it as natural as possible, there is quite a bit of flaws with that. (I.E. the calm water lake, right next to a WATERFALL.)
    The trees arranged like that look really bad, especially mixed in with tall grass. The mountains don't seem to flow very well either.
    3/10

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back