• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Map Rating/Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ven

Tyrian
    Years
    • Seen Mar 19, 2011
    JAJAJAJAJA

Ohai, well I've been working on this for a while, but I still have mixed feelings about it, can I get a few ratings?
    Spoiler:

Credits to Fangking Omega for the house tiles.

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
    Ohai, well I've been working on this for a while, but I still have mixed feelings about it, can I get a few ratings?
    Spoiler:

I <3 your cities... I wish I could map them like that. D:

To be honest, I find nothing wrong with it. The layout of the city is beautiful except that bit above the Pokemon Center. Maybe you could move the whole thing, including the ledge, down? that way, that awkward little bit of path near that lower-right house goes away too. :D The path outside the gym is a big dodgy looking too. Maybe a tile across?

The Mart and Gym should also be block-edited so the roofs don't stand out like sore thumbs. And on the topic of the Mart, that little block of land above it seems rather superfluous, as does the sand bank next to it.

And is that dark water meant to be for diving? :D

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
    Years
    It's also the biggest ice puzzle I've ever seen. Have you actually played through it? It's fairly easy to get to the boulder puzzle from the stairs down - so easy, in fact, that some of the rocks seem superfluous. Once the boulder puzzle is finished, though, there seems no way for the player to continue. She falls into the crevasse with the item at the bottom and runs out of options. There's a similar problem with the path from the stairs up. Once the player passes the patch of ground and rock in the middle of the ice, she moves down and to the right, picking up the item there. From there, the only way to go is left and up, which leads to another item. But from that item, you can only go down and right...the player is stuck.
    You start off at the ladder leading up, and you really do cover every inch of the map in order to get to the end. (Other than the boulder puzzle, but it's required to complete the next level, so you'll have to go back if you try to skip it.) About the part where you can get stuck... you're forgetting that when you hit the item, you don't actually stand on top of it. If you moved forward after picking up the item, you would get stuck though...
    Some areas seem to be unreachable, like the item at the very top, and the patch of ground surrounded by rock not far from the stairs up. I could be wrong. It's annoying not being able to actually play through it. If you have a solution to the puzzle, post the path through it, 'cause I'd like to see it.
    Like I said, you'll use the whole map to get to the end... and I do have the solution saved... I'll attach it. (I noticed that I actually did leave a rock out, so I made a couple changes. That's really the only way I could think of to fix it.)

Ooh, tile error! You're missing an elbow tile on a rock pyramid in the bottom half.
    THE ERROR, IT BURRNNSSSSS!!!

Rabbit

where is my mind?
    Years
    Spoiler:

Looks great! I love how you used elevation and trees in the town. It's got a great shape - all of the buildings are close together and actually look like a town. The way you've used the path tiles means there isn't any empty space. The beach looks nice, too. 10/10!

The one thing I don't like is how the stairs to the gym don't line up with the edge of the path below it - but that's minor.

You start off at the ladder leading up, and you really do cover every inch of the map in order to get to the end. (Other than the boulder puzzle, but it's required to complete the next level, so you'll have to go back if you try to skip it.) About the part where you can get stuck... you're forgetting that when you hit the item, you don't actually stand on top of it. If you moved forward after picking up the item, you would get stuck though...
    Like I said, you'll use the whole map to get to the end... and I do have the solution saved... I'll attach it. (I noticed that I actually did leave a rock out, so I made a couple changes. That's really the only way I could think of to fix it.)

Aha. I see what you did there. And I see what you do after getting the item beneath the boulder puzzle. I thought it was a dead end but no, my bad. So that just leaves the item at the very top, the one that's unreachable. You just need to move one rock and it's perfect. Great ice puzzle! It's fiendish. :)

Last edited:

Chaos190

Likes to Hack Pokemon
    Years
    • Seen May 25, 2016
    Spoiler:

Pretty good but some errors in the map concerning the mountain. The top right corner of the market kind of messing up the mountain and above that the top part may or may not have screwed it up.
    Rating: 9.5/10

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
    Teehee :cheeky:
    Your routes make mine look like crap though ._.

That would make us a pretty good team, wouldn't it? :D I'm bad at filling space; in routes I can use grass, but in towns...I just cram it up with trees and it looks horrible. D:

Seeing as this map isn't going to be used, I'll just post it.

Spoiler:

Help anyone? D:

Ven

Tyrian
    Years
    • Seen Mar 19, 2011
    Well I'm not very good with ratings but I'll give it a shot.
    You don't always have to add tree's or flowers or something to fill up space, empty space might make you obsess (trust me I know the feeling) but in game it honestly looks fine. Too much stuff can make the map feel really busy in game. Maybe even out the trees on the top right, and take out those flowers, and maybe extend the path a bit. I like the layout of the map though, the buildings are placed very well. Maybe extend the bridge/port thingy a little.
    (Just an idea to make it more original/exciting)
    Maybe instead of the beach, at that whole estuary/shallow water thing you had in that map you made with emerald tiles. That was awesome :3

Chad -

Years
    • Seen Aug 27, 2012
    Ninja Caterpie, your map is simple and enjoyable. There's a couple of tile errors, though.

First tile error is at the small bridge-thing at the beach. I think you used the wrong tile here. Not sure, though.

Second tile error is the tree shadowing in some places. An example is above the PokeCenter.

Other than that, the map is playable and nice. I give it an 8/10.

Chad -

Resultz

All- round Poke-Whizz
    Years
    Spoiler:

That looks so realistic haha,
    The only criticism i'd make is that id personally like to see more regular houses for it to be lifelike, otherwise 10/10

but 9.7/10

EDIT: hees one of my own

Spoiler:

Credit to Project Mustang.

Last edited:
    Years
    Here's a map I made, it's been a long time since I made a map though :D

Map name: -Not known yet-
    Made on: Fire Red
    Credits: Wesley FG for the roof tiles
    Comment: It's supposed to be a starter town, it's small like a starter town it feels more like a little route though because you can go 2 ways. The exit to the bottom will go to a Training area (map will be posted when I finished it) and right will go to a route.

Spoiler:

Please rate & give tips :)

Fujitsu

Now with leather seats!
    Years
    I just have a couple more maps that I'd like honest opinions on. Please be brutally honest. I don't want any "OMG I think your map is good" comments.

Caution: Some of these maps are somewhat large.

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Years
    • Seen Oct 12, 2010
    still not rated. i need ratings, because it might be in my first beta.
    I like it. The little house trying to pass as a gym almost has a comical quality to it.

As for the map itself, it's all right for the most part, but a couple of things are bugging me. One, the little rocks on the path up to the cave seem too straight. Try making them a little more crooked and...er...natural looking.

Second, that little bush close to the bottom of the map that blocks the path seems a little out of place, and I imagine it would be annoying in gameplay to have to go around it.

But overall, I really like the map =D

Fujitsu

Now with leather seats!
    Years
    well here is route 3 for my hack (the building is a fake gym run by the evil team)
    Spoiler:

Sorry if I'm to rain on your parade, but I'm going to be a bit more brutal than the last rater.

Quite frankly, there's many things about this map that could be desired. There are many situations where tree shading is off due to you misunderstanding how it's supposed to work. For all of your horizontal rows of trees standing by themselves, the upper tree shading is not supposed to be there. On the bottom right-most peninsula, you even have upper tree at the end without there even being a tree there.

Another tile error you have is that the top most tile of the ledge above the "Gym" is of the wrong kind. It needs to end, rather than touch the mountain tile.

If you are to use this map in a hack, you have some border issues to deal with. You can easily see where the mountain starts if you are in the top-most grass patch just as you can from some parts of the mountains.

The rock placement you have seems incredibly unnatural. If you're going to have borders using rocks like that, you could at the very least have other parts of the mountains have those rocks rather than just along the path. For the mountains, they seem to be rather square and very artificial looking. You may wish to make them appear more jagged.

All in all, I'm looking at giving this map a 4/10.

Death_Mande

Avenged Sevenfold.
    Years
    I made these maps yesterday for a Hack I am helping with. I haven't mapped in some years now, so you could say my mapping skill is on a "novice-heading-towards-failure" level. Any tips/comments would be gladly appreciated.

Map Name:
    Celestic Town
    Map Game: Fire Red
    Comments: This is basically a FR-Tile Version of Celestic Town. I made it by looking at the screen of my DSi and mapping it on Advance Map bit by bit. I also made my own Blocks, but a few came out with a Black Line which I don't know how to fix o-o It's also missing the little shrine in the Middle ^^;;
    Mapshot:

Spoiler:

Map Name: Route 203
    Comments: Route 203 Made with HG/SS Tiles from the Hack I'm helping with. Again, I made it by looking at my DSi's screen, but modified it a bit since it's supposed to be a "New Era" of the Sinnoh region. I pretty much suck at the Grass Spreading, as you can see, I'm still pretty much a Novice at this.
    Mapshot:
    Spoiler:

Years

Comment: It's supposed to be a starter town, it's small like a starter town it feels more like a little route though because you can go 2 ways. The exit to the bottom will go to a Training area (second map) and right will go to a route.

Spoiler:

Comment: This is the map that connects to the map above, it's a training area where the player will meet an important character for the first time.

Spoiler:

Years

Comment: It's supposed to be a starter town, it's small like a starter town it feels more like a little route though because you can go 2 ways. The exit to the bottom will go to a Training area (second map) and right will go to a route.

Spoiler:

Comment: This is the map that connects to the map above, it's a training area where the player will meet an important character for the first time.

Spoiler:

1st map rating:

My problems are:
    Too many flowers.
    Wild grass in a town? :S
    You should move the houses more apart from each other as their too close.
    Sign post at the bottom should be moved up.
    Also, I don't like the odd spaces between the trees.

What I like:
    The path is nice, not too straight.
    The mountain shape is nice, and well placed.
    One more thing is, the little lakes shape is nice.

Map 2 rating:

My problems are:
    Too many flowers again.
    Odd spaces between the trees again.

What I like:
    The paths, mountains, lake, all have nice shapes to them.
    Tree placement is okay, but still could be improved.

Tile errors:
    Look at the mountain on both maps, they all basicly have tile errors.

Ratings:
    1st Map: 6/10
    2nd Map: 8/10

adhdguitar

Newbie Pokémon Hacker
    Years
    • Seen Jan 16, 2015
    I made these maps yesterday for a Hack I am helping with. I haven't mapped in some years now, so you could say my mapping skill is on a "novice-heading-towards-failure" level. Any tips/comments would be gladly appreciated.

Map Name:
    Celestic Town
    Comments: This is basically a FR-Tile Version of Celestic Town. I made it by looking at the screen of my DSi and mapping it on Advance Map bit by bit. I also made my own Blocks, but a few came out with a Black Line which I don't know how to fix o-o It's also missing the little shrine in the Middle ^^;;
    Mapshot:

Spoiler:

Map Name: Route 203
    Comments: Route 203 Made with HG/SS Tiles from the Hack I'm helping with. Again, I made it by looking at my DSi's screen, but modified it a bit since it's supposed to be a "New Era" of the Sinnoh region. I pretty much suck at the Grass Spreading, as you can see, I'm still pretty much a Novice at this.
    Mapshot:
    Spoiler:

To the first one, 7/10.
    It's good, but it could be better. I understand that there's not much you can do with FR tiles when doing a remake of a 4th gen map, but its still a little boring. Maybe just a little more variation.

The second one is better, 8/10.]
    It looks almost exactly like the Route 3 from DP. I love it. However, you are right that the grass could be placed a little better, and there is that issue of the tile that shows the entrance to the cave on the far right.

Overall, good job.

Now, for my "maps." Keep in mind that this is the first time I've ever mapped before.

First, my rework of Route 2 from Ruby/Sapphire.
    Map Rating/Review Thread

Secondly, my rework of Route 4 (I think) from Ruby/Sapphire
    Map Rating/Review Thread

Tell me what you think, and be honest.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back